Start by marking “Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)” as Want to Read:
Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)

Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows #3)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  51,987 ratings  ·  1,042 reviews
There's no witch in Cincinnati tougher, sexier, or more screwed up than bounty hunter Rachel Morgan, who's already put her love life and soul in dire jeopardy through her determined efforts to bring criminal night creatures to justice.

Between "runs," she has her hands full fending off the attentions of her blood-drinking partner, keeping a deadly secret from her backup, an
Mass Market Paperback, 501 pages
Published June 28th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Every Which Way But Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Which Way But Dead

Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderFire by Kristin Cashore
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
121st out of 3,359 books — 10,910 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren Kate
Books with Angels, Gods, or Demons
65th out of 1,653 books — 2,577 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

You know how "they" say the things you hate in others are the things you like least about yourself?

When I was 21, after an extreme bout of poor decision-making, I decided to take a sabbatical from dating. In quick succession, I had dated a slightly-younger-than-me guy, a guy who was my age, and a more-than-slightly-older-than-me guy, and they were ALL great, big lamewads. 19 y.o. Mark, the 6'7'' college basketball player and DRAMA QUEEN liked to wake up, drink milk, and t
Robin (Bridge Four)
Welcome to our What Kind of Heroine are you Quiz. Please select the option that best describes what you would do in the following situations:

You have recently started a business with a friend. Should you
A. Work as a team and solve mysteries and crime
together playing off each other’s strengths.
B. Go off on your own rarely telling your
partner what you are working on and where you
are going, with no indication on when you will
return.
C Hedge your bets and have a few other people
/beings you are workin
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Laz
Mar 19, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
I'm glad this hasn't reached a low point. And I sure as hell hope it won't because so far I'm loving every second of reading this series. It's fast-paced, the action is abundant and there are so many characters I just can't help but love.

As you must have assumed, Rachel finds herself in an impossible situation once again. As the shit hit the fan and everything goes to hell. Rachel must find a way to get herself out of the deal with Algaliarept without getting herself or her friends killed in the
Jonetta
Even though there's a lot going on in this story, there seemed to be quite a few lulls. Fortunately, the many revelations kept it moving.

One of the things I like about Rachel is her ability to think her way through situations, especially when she's figuring out how to balance her magic skills with what she knows about the rules of her world. She's pressed to her limits in this story and learns so much about herself and her gifts.

I've not liked or trusted Nick Sparagmos and he doesn't do anythi
Kat Kennedy
I have to deduct stars from this for several reasons. All three books so far have suffered from a shit-poor editing job and my inner editor constantly screams while reading them.

Then there's the fact that Rachel Morgan is just unbelievably stupid. Painfully stupid. So stupid that she shouldn't be allowed to live. So stupid that I don't understand why she IS alive.

I WILL read the next book because there're a number of things that intrigue me. However, if the next book isn't markedly better then
John
May 23, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural adventure, anyone who likes the Rachel Morgan series.
Shelves: horror, fantasy
This, third, book of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series has the weakest plot so far. On the other hand, the character driven scenes kept me reading, and when the plot finally got rolling in the last 30% of the book, I was frothing.

The book starts out with two problems presented to Rachel: A demon that she owes favors to has come to collect, and a new crime boss in town is making life difficult for everyone. After that, we get a lot of character development and the plot fades away, showing up n
Kribu
Hmm. I felt this one was a little weaker, overall, than the second book - possibly because there was a little less emphasis on plot and a little more on Rachel finding more or less every single guy hot.

It didn't really bother me - for which I need to give the author some props, because it so easily could have, and should have - but really, it was getting ever so slightly ridiculous how Rachel was basically drooling over every man she met. Kisten's hot. Trent's hot. David's hot. Lee's hot. Nick .
valee
I loved this one!
So much better than the first 2 books. I enjoyed every page of this book, although it took me much more time to read it.

Rachel is becoming stronger, which I love, I really want her to become even more powerful than she already is.
Nick didn't make an appearance after the first half of the book, which IMHO was the reason for why I adored this book much more than the first 2. He is a boring and irrelevant character and (even if I know it is a terrible thing to say) I wish he could
Carly
Book Reaction (not a full review)

In the third installment of Rachel Morgan's adventures, she's mostly dealing with the fallout of some of the events of the previous book. Sadly, this means that the book has a heavy focus on vampires and demons, and in Harrison's world, that means that the book is all about seduction, temptation, and weird rapey vibes. An amusing side adventure involves Rachel acting as body guard for Trent because--wait for it--they believe that she can handle vampiric vibes bet
Mark
These just keep the high standards since the first book.

Good character maturity.
Maria
Really, why I haven’t read this series earlier? What an amazing read! Exactly what a good urban fantasy must be! With a very well structured world-building and many great characters that in every book have very interesting development, this book was definitely one of my best reads this year. It seems that this series is getting better with each book, another good reason to read The Hollows series by Kim Harrison.

Rachel has too many things on her plate right now. Her boyfriend can’t get far enoug
VampireNovelFan
This book is the best thus far in the series. You can tell it's starting the hit its stride. The characters are becoming more established and the lines between protagonists and antagonists are thinning a bit.

Rachel strikes a deal with Algaliarept, a demon, to testify against Piscary. To do it she'll have to become his familiar. From there she meets his old familiar, Ceri, who happens to be an elf. She turns out to be a very mysterious, interesting, and powerful character. Does Rachel want to ma
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
"Tink's panties" this is the best one so far! Rachel Morgan is back, stirring up some more trouble in the Hollows! I couldn't ask for anything more: non-stop action, danger, more of my favorite characters [Trent, Kisten and Takata], some great new additions [Ceri, David and Erica] and finally some overdue romance!! I had Trent and Kisten listed as potential suitors for Rachel in my head after the second book, but Kisten has definitely won me over! Rachel's character started out a "diamond in the ...more
Deea (Andreea)
[Re-read November 2014]

Memorable moments in this one as well. *happy sigh* I'm pretty sure from the earliest books, this one had some of my most favorite scenes with Trent - and here I started jumping head-first on Team Trent. (Then there's the wedding part mwahaha.:D)

Rachel is already showing signs of her personal growth and self discovery. And everyone is so badass! I'm so in love with Kisten at this point... Debating if I should or should not go through that part of the series again or just s
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
Srsly, this series could be so bloody amazing if Rachel weren't such a bloody idiot.
Kimberley doruyter
still enjoyable but it's starting to slip.
Lauren
Every Which Way But Dead
4 Stars

There is a lot going on in Rachel’s life as she deals with becoming Algaliarept’s familiar, Nick’s aloofness, Ivy’s possessiveness, Kisten’s advances, Jenks’s hurt feelings as well as a possible Were stalker, a dangerous extortionist and last but not least, Trent Kalamack’s mysterious machinations. With all this, its amazing that she hasn’t lost her mind yet … or has she?

The majority of the book revolves around introducing new characters and developing existing one
Tara Day
Hello fellow reviewers! Minor spoilers ahead. In this installment of the Hollows series, we meet lots of new characters, say interesting goodbyes and even better hellos, and we go in deep with new plots. You may have noticed my four star rating and that may confuse you considering this is my favorite series. That being said, I enjoyed this book but it's not one of my favorites. I'll explain later. I always start with my good feelings on it.

Soooo, I love the budding new alliance between Trent and
La La
I'm currently on book three and I really don't know what to say. This series doesn't really do it for me but I feel deeply compelled to continue on hoping that it gets better. So far I find Rachel to be judgemental, a bit of a victim, and too stupid to live, yet she's suppose to be the baddest b^%$!. I don't see it. She's constantly getting her butt kicked and getting lucky in the end with the help of others. She can't stand Trent for his business dealings, drugs and biomedical research, which i ...more
Ne
De longe o melhor dos três (até agora) foi prejudicado, mas não o suficiente, pelos constantes erros de edição. Falta de letras, troca de nomes das personagens, etc.
Mas... nada disto prejudica Kim Harrison, porque para mim ela tem um dom. É talvez das histórias mais bem desenvolvidas no campo da ficção e principalmente da temática mágica e vampirica. Ela consegue misturar mil e uma espécies, mil e um problemas, mil e um sentimentos, tudo assim... cheio de "mil e uns".
Rachel Morgan é uma personag
Elphaba J
Não vos vou mentir, este é o meu livro favorito da série até agora e qualquer reticencia que poderia ter foi completamente sublimada, estou absolutamente rendida á minha heroína do momento, Rachel Morgan.

"Antes Bruxa Que Morta" é um título poderosíssimo atendendo ao desenrolar da história e se há alguém que conhece de perto a morte é esta protagonista. Neste terceiro livro o romance ganha corpo, a acção é passada a outro nível e os momentos de tensão são desenrolados em cenas lentas e com um hum
Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
I am so stoked Rachel hooked up with Kistan, I don't know why but I think he's a better match for Rachel than nick is or was, and maybe it's because he's an Inlander jut like her and Nick is just a human (puny humans) lol.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
*Review to come*
♥Tricia♥
Vickie
I was intrigued by the first Hollows book, but the second book took me forever to read. Granted, it was bedtime book fare, only there to ease my body into relaxation in short snippets, but it tended to bore me into sleep rather than me having to tear my tired eyes away.

I gave this 3rd book a try, and I did not find it boring. On the contrary, I found it infuriating. I found it crazy to think that the events of this book occurred in such a short time, Rachel being a witch or not. I think it's al
Books-treasureortrash
Book Review: 3 Treasure Box Rating

This book really grabs your interest from the first page. It jumps right in with Rachel summoning the demon Algaliarept to fulfil the deal she made with him in the last book, where she agreed to become his familiar. We are introduced to a new character, Ceri, who was the demon's familiar for 1,000 years, but has been freed by Rachel. We learn that Ceri is also an Elf like Trent. In this book Rachel goes on another run and as usual gets in and out of trouble.

Ever
Kathy Davie
First read May 19, 2009.

Third in The Hollows urban fantasy series set in an alternate Cincinnati revolving around Rachel Morgan, a witch in partnership with a living vampire and a pixie all of whom live in a church.

The Story
Desperately seeking a way to strictly enforce the bargain she made with Algaliarept in The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, Rachel frees Ceri and exchanges auras with Big Al only to be at a loss with what to do with Ceri now and deal with her partners' discovery of her bargain.
Robin Wiley
I've read most of the majors in this genre: Stoker, Rice, Harrison, Harris, King, Hamilton, Meyer, Newman, and Kostova. I've seen Blade, Underworld, Buffy, Angel, Van Helsing, 30 Days of Night, Moonlight and Dark Shadows (not saying they are all good, mind you). So, I think I've consumed enough of the vampire genre to have some opinions.

My theory about Twilight. People with little to no experience with the vampire genre LOVE this series. Most readers who have consumed their fair amount of vampir
Patrícia
Hollows não é, certamente, a mais segura das cidades. Bruxas, criaturas feéricas, vampiros e animalomens povoam as suas ruas, fazendo eclipsar o perigo quando menos se espera. Mas nem mesmo estes seres sobrenaturais estão providos de segurança encontrando-se, muitas vezes, no meio de antigas e vingativas rixas, de promessas demoníacas proferidas ou até, quem sabe, bem no caminho de uma sedenta fome de sangue. Não. Não é, de todo, o mais confortável dos locais mas, sem dúvida, que é o mais intere ...more
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 8 4 May 09, 2015 12:37AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 9 5 May 08, 2015 09:59AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 8 3 May 08, 2015 09:58AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 6 5 May 08, 2015 09:20AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 5 3 May 06, 2015 09:33AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 5 3 May 06, 2015 09:32AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 4 3 May 06, 2015 08:51AM
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
  • Dayhunter (Dark Days, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye #5)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KimHarris
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)

“And then there are the rare ones who know love, who understand it. Who freely give of themselves, demanding only a return of that love,that trust.” 475 likes
“Hey, ah, does anyone want a cookie or something? Oh yeah. A cookie. That would make everything better. Dunked in a shot of tequila , maybe? Or better yet, just the bottle? Yeah, that ought to do it.” 367 likes