Start by marking “Silent Night, Holy Night: The Story of the Christmas Truce” as Want to Read:
Silent Night, Holy Night: The Story of the Christmas Truce

Silent Night, Holy Night: The Story of the Christmas Truce

December 1914 was grim for the thousands of soldiers who had dug into the frozen trenches on either side of Flanders Field. What lay between them in the early months of the First Great War was a field of sorrow - No Man's Land - littered with barbed wire and decaying corpses. This sober background is the setting for this very powerful and poignant true story previously kno ...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Shadow Mountain (first published October 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Night, Holy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Night, Holy Night

Raelene
Jun 21, 2008 Raelene rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This is really a beautiful and touching story about the uniting spirit of Christmas during a rough, cold, long war. It is beautifully told and accompanied with excellent music by the Tabernacle Choir. A Christmas classic.
Suzan
Nov 10, 2008 Suzan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
December 1914 thousands of soldiers were dug into the frozen trenches on either side of Flanders Field. For two days, they stopped shooting at each other, laid down their weapons, and exchanged gifts and special holiday traditions. It was a spontaneous celebration that culminated in the singing of "Silent Night." This book comes with a CD narrated by Walter Cronkite and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Silent Night. It's a beautiful story.

Jennifer Hughes
Dec 12, 2013 Jennifer Hughes rated it really liked it
I'd heard the legends of this story before, so reading a story based on the actual accounts of survivors and news was fascinating. There is a lot more to the story than what I'd heard. The only thing I didn't like was that the pictures of war at the front were a little harsh for a picture book that is ostensibly for children.
Debbie
Dec 31, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
This touching bit of humanity found in the midst of the horrors of war, is a true account of the Christmas truce in 1914. The book includes a CD with the story narrated by Walter Cronkite and "Silent Night" sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Be sure to listen to the CD but also read it in its entirety. Beautiful!
Marilyn
Sep 10, 2010 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a wow. I love this (true) story. I read the chapter book for adults on the subject. This was so much more moving. Probably being concise, the story is more real. Trying to collect picture books for December book "advent" with my girls. THanks for the idea, Shauna!
Annemarie
Jan 27, 2008 Annemarie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE this book! I was at the concert when Walter Cronkite read this story and I was so glad to see them make it into a storybook. It has really touched me. I love the story, and the pictures are beautiful. It's one that I read often. It's a beautiful book.
Teri
Jan 18, 2014 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
The thing that was really nice about this book was the CD! Listen to it instead of reading it yourself. Walter Cronkite is the narrator and when you read about a violinist playing "Largo", you actually get to hear "Largo."
Teri
Jul 01, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
A great war story from WW1 where soldiers on opposing sides lay down their arms and celebrate Christmas. It is narrated by Walter Cronkite with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.(Comes with CD)
Rayni
Dec 10, 2008 Rayni rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
One wouldn't think of this as a picture book, but the illustrations were beautiful. What a heart-breaking book, but yet one of the goodness of mankind. I "read" it on Pearl Harbor Day.
Etta Mcquade
Dec 28, 2011 Etta Mcquade rated it really liked it
A touching true account of Christmas 1914 at Flanders Field, and nicely illustrated, which brought tears to my eyes.
Jody
Nov 29, 2012 Jody rated it it was amazing
Fifth graders loved it! Great way to combine World War I history with Christmas...or vice versa!
Ryan
Dec 18, 2013 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
A fantastic Christmas book! Plus it is a true story, way awesome!
Terrah
Dec 26, 2011 Terrah rated it really liked it
This is a great story, but for older kids.
Nadine
Dec 10, 2012 Joy Prior rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-book
beautiful!! images
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Jody Darden
Jody Darden marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Rishika Reddy
Rishika Reddy marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Rosa Cline
Rosa Cline marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Felicia
Felicia rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Rodrigo
Rodrigo rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Larie
Larie rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Robin Glauner
Robin Glauner rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Sparrow
Sparrow marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Jonathan Case
Jonathan Case rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Travis Neiswender
Travis Neiswender marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014