Start by marking “Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual” as Want to Read:
Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual

Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  864 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A discussion that covers almost the entire realm of Ritual and High Magic. Translated by A.E. Waite.
Paperback, American Edition, 438 pages
Published January 15th 1968 by Weiser Books (first published 1854)

To ask other readers questions about Transcendental Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transcendental Magic

Keith
Jan 01, 2013 Keith rated it liked it
Recommended to Keith by: O.T.O.
I find it difficult to review this book.

Clearly, for anyone involved in the Western Mystery Traditions, especially magick, hermeticism, modern tarot, or Thelema, this is foundational material. Yet Lévi comes off as conflicted between his occult interests and his ambivalent relationship to the Church of Rome. Moreover, Waite's footnotes are as often disparaging as illuminating, and his apparent disdain for the author leads me to wonder why he bothered completing the translation at all. It is high
Paula Crash
Jun 19, 2013 Paula Crash rated it it was amazing
i'm continuously "currently reading" this book, no matter how many times i finish it. cryptic stuff, and you should trust me, i've been reading it for years.
Steve Cran
Apr 29, 2014 Steve Cran rated it really liked it
At the core of all esoteric arts is science. Those occult groups who acted in secret oft time mixing faith and science have been the discoverers of scientific invention advancing society forward yet hidden from public view. In order to perpetuate faith the Church has always sought to stamp out these groups and their sciences. The Church has in many an instance been resistant to scientific discovery and change.

What follows is one of the key books on Ceremonial Magick. The book is very hard to com
Clay Fouts
Jul 08, 2010 Clay Fouts rated it it was amazing
This is the book I wish I had read ten years ago but the importance of which I gather only now. Levi's Dogma provides a clear and readable engagement with the tradition of Western occultism. It's here that we find the initial (if skewed) tie-ins between the Hebrew alphabet and the Tarot trumps, marrying the ancient Egyptian tradition with Jewish Kabbalah. I found most rewarding his description of the evolution of the series of numbers as they unfold into further degrees of manifestation as well ...more
Taliesin Mcknight
Feb 28, 2015 Taliesin Mcknight rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most important books on Western magick extant. This book does require a background in occult symbolism, tarot, and Qabalah to understand, as it's not for the beginner. Ideally, this book should be studied along with either the Tarot of Marseille or the Oswald Wirth tarot deck since the book is based on French occult tarot. The book is based on the Marseille tarot deck with corrections, which were later incorporated into the Oswald Wirth deck after the writing of this book.

Th
Palindrome Mordnilap
Nov 05, 2009 Palindrome Mordnilap rated it liked it
Shelves: research-books
Eliphas Levi was one of the "founding fathers" of the occult revival that took place in the late nineteenth century, and his "Transcendental Magic" is a marvellous work. The translation into English by A. E. Waite is smooth and often poetic, whilst the ideas propounded by Levi are at times very intriguing.

Evidently this isn't some kind of spell book that you can use to summon up the spirits of the dead (though Levi makes bold claims to have done so himself) but it does provide the occult philoso
Rob
Jul 06, 2015 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let's be honest; this is a load of bollicks.
Roger Buck
Jul 14, 2014 Roger Buck rated it did not like it
Contains deeply disturbing things which the older, penitent Eliphas Levi renounced.

No book I think helps to understand the remarkable journey of Eliphas Levi than the astonishing masterpiece Meditations on the Tarot which also considers Papus as well. My review of that here:

Charlie Payne
Jul 02, 2015 Charlie Payne rated it really liked it
A little bit bias with AE Waites opinions' otherwise would be a 5 star.
Jim Amy
Mar 14, 2015 Jim Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautifully written book about magic from a time before most of what I think of as modern magic such as the G.D., Thelema,LaVey and so on. It is structured around the 22 Tarot Trumps (not the G.D. or Crowley correspondences, I am afraid)and it includes a number of illustrations as well as a few workable rituals. From a literary perspective, I found this a very enjoyable book to read.
Jose Daniel
Mar 23, 2013 Jose Daniel rated it really liked it
Uno de los mas conocidos esotéricos franceses, libro muy interesante que recapitula la simbologia de las sectas, creencias y significado oculto de mucha simbologia religiosa,escritor que también concocia el contexto social de su época y entendía la profundidad de los cambios políticos y como influenciaban el pensamiento mágico.
S.
Feb 08, 2013 S. rated it did not like it
Stopped reading it! Ask why? here is a clue........aberration allegory!
and I will accept the challenge of anyone who emphatically disagrees from a historic/academic point of view.
Cix
Edizione Harel con codice ISBN stampato ma che non corrisponde a nessun libro, cosa che non succede con il gemello : Il Dogma Dell'Alta Magia di cui l'ISBN è esatto.
Bruno Sia
Mar 22, 2014 Bruno Sia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since Gurdjieff's book I've not read something so complete like this. A definitely guide for life.
Barry
Dec 23, 2008 Barry rated it it was amazing
He's an odd cat....but I like him!
Matheus Ramos
Maravilhoso! Grande obra, recomendado.
Syncreation
Apr 13, 2015 Syncreation rated it really liked it
You've gotta believe it to happen...
Scotty
Nov 11, 2015 Scotty rated it it was amazing
Essential reading.
Doug
Nov 06, 2010 Doug added it
Essential!
Liam
Apr 14, 2010 Liam rated it it was amazing
Love that book, pure Art.
Sterngucker
Sterngucker marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Alex Strøm
Alex Strøm marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Ankur Sharma
Ankur Sharma rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Kọlá
Kọlá rated it liked it
Lucas
Lucas marked it as to-read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Guillaume Keller
Guillaume Keller marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
  • Magick: Liber ABA: Book 4
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • The Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • The Book of Ceremonial Magic
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • John Dee’s Five Books of Mystery: Original Sourcebook of Enochian Magic
Éliphas Lévi is the pen-name of Abbé Alphonse Louis Constant, a Roman Catholic priest and magician. His later writings on the Tarot and occult topics were a great influence on the Spiritualist and Hermetic movements of fin de siècle England and France, especially on such members of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn as Arthur Edward Waite and Aleister Crowley.

---

Éliphas Lévi es el nombre adopta
More about Éliphas Lévi...

“Everything is possible to him who wills only what is true! Rest in Nature, study, know, then dare; dare to will, dare to act and be silent!” 12 likes
“In olden times gold was manufactured by science; nowadays science must be renewed by gold. We have fixed the volatile and we must now volatilize the fixed—in other words, we have materialized spirit, and we must now spiritualize matter.” 11 likes