Start by marking “A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)

A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows #4)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  33,760 ratings  ·  911 reviews
The evil night things that prowl Cincinnati despise witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan. Her new reputation for the dark arts is turning human and undead heads alike with the intent to possess, bed, and kill her -- not necessarily in that order.

Now a mortal lover who abandoned Rachel has returned, haunted by his secret past. And there are those who covet what Nick posses...more
Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Published July 2006 by HarperTorch (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Fistful of Charms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fistful of Charms

Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderFire by Kristin Cashore
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
179th out of 3,647 books — 9,038 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesDestined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Funny Paranormal Romances
63rd out of 502 books — 1,001 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Where to begin . . .

I've come to expect a certain kind of action-fueled, intricate, and well-crafted plot from Kim Harrison, and in A Fistful of Charms, the fourth installment of her The Hollows series, the breakneck pace and interconnectedness upheld all of my expectations.

But . . . yes, there's a but . . . the Rachel and Ivy nonsense came to a head, and as we all know, things that come to a head are wont to EXPLODE.

And explode it did. But I'll get to that later...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
Kim Harrison is a writer with a lot of imagination and a lot of personality. Her world and her characters are very original. Where she stumbles is in her actual writing.
Not only are there tons of typos in this book - spelling errors, grammar errors, etc ("it was a mute point"?! "she had to access the situation"?) - but her actual writing leaves a little something to be desired.
I have struggled with this series, finding it boring at times and hard to follow. I finally came to the conclusion tha...more
Anya
Where the hell is Trent Kalamack???

He is probably off getting his elf butt married to that cold-hearted lady of the previous installment, but still... Where the heck is he? I am only a few chapters away from finishing the book and still fondly waiting for him to make an appearance. He is by far one of the most interesting characters of this series, along with Jenks, Ivy and of course Rachel herself. (Have to admit I am not precisely too great a fan of Ivy either...)

Nick... Nick can climb up the...more
Dannii (lilbob1980)
I found this book really hard to read compared to the previous three. Whilst there was all the usual excitement and twists and turns i was starting to feel like i had read this all before. Rachel is starting to get on my nerves a bit, i really can't understand how one person can keep making such bad mistakes and never learning from them, and she seems to have the biggest libido in the world. Can she survive five minutes without falling in love with someone? And is she ever going to stop toying w...more
Robert
The charm was lost on me. Maybe I need to remove the stake from the nape of my neck, devour a clove of garlic in less than 12 seconds, follow it up with some red Kool-Aid, douse myself in holy water, and then shoot a silver bullet up my bum. Or maybe I should tell all the werewolves, witches, pixies, and vampires to suck it, and that I’ll handle the trials and tribulations of dangling from a rope myself. Instead of plunging a few of my fantasies into ecstasy, I was left with a look of horror on...more
Kat Kennedy
The last couple of lines of this book were the best of this whole series.

I still don't LOVE this series but I'll give the next book a read now just because I want to know what bloody happens. Though it's edging eerily close to an Anita Blake theme here.

I think the reason why I liked this story better was because it was blessedly free of demons. When there's a demon around, you can almost bet that Rachel is twice as dumb as usual. Unfortunately, the title of the next book is A Few Demons More.

Fuc...more
VampireNovelFan
Many people loved this book, but this was actually among my least favorite.

Nick, Rachel's ex-boyfriend is a conniving little snot. He adds nothing to this series, except my hate for him. He ends up partnering with Jax (Jenks' son) and they get themselves in trouble with the weres after their attempt to steal the Focus.

The gang take a road trip to save him and Jax, but Jenks needs to be a bit more powerful. Soooo Rachel makes him big! While this particular book wasn't my favorite, that one scene...more
valee
Damn, how can I say this? This is a too good to be true series. I love it. I know it had a slow beginning with the first 2 books, but terrific from then on.

This book was amazing. I had never seen so much action and events going on in a same book. Really. So many things happened in this book that I felt like I was reading more than one book in a same series. And I mean this in a good way. Everything just developed smoothly.

UF lovers, you'll love this series, it is so different from all the ones...more
Kim Harrison always produces reliable escapist literature, so that didn't let me down. I had a few complaints with this book, the most central being that Harrison is playing the lesbian erotica card, even while denying she is denying her main character's potential bisexuality. Rachel is SO sure that she is exclusively straight, but, reading her reactions to Ivy, I am not. Here's the thing, I know Harrison wants me to be unsure. I get it, wavering sexuality is exciting. This is maybe true for the...more
Armina
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this but not as much as the previous books in the series. That's why I'm rating it this way.

My biggest complaint is that a big part of the book is devoted to the relationship between Rachel and Ivy and although I like Ivy enough I don't love her ;).

But I love big Jenks. The best parts in the book include him. Also the Were fights and the action in general were amazing!

I missed Trent and Al but considering the title of the next book in the series this will change...more
Kribu
Too tired for a proper review.

Short version: liked the plot, liked Jenks, really could have done without the developments with Ivy. (Also, I'm seriously not liking Nick very much. Nope.)
Kristy
Kasia S.
Obviously I would not recommit this book to anyone who has not read the previous three installments, this series is so mouth wateringly good that you cannot miss a beat; it would truly be a loss for anyone to read this out of order. That aside I will keep the narration of this book short and sweet, ruining or giving anything away is the worst favor anyone can do with this series, the surprises emerge like spring flowers through the snow and action builds up with no sights set up on stopping anyt...more
Kimmay
Relief & Irritation.
That is what I am feeling right now. I just now finished book 4 in the Hollows series and I am relieved the book is finished I can now return it to the library! I am glad I didn't buy this or swap this. It was the weakest book in the series so far. And though I may continue on with the series, I will have to give it some time to let the irritation pass.
The whole Ivy/Rachel thing is on my nerves. I like Rachel with Kisten, at least I did until the end of this book. What...more
Kristi
This is a 4 "cold face" book. It was nice to see the number of times she used the phrase reduced. However, it seemed to come at a cost of other editing errors. One of the most hilarious instances of this was when a female character's arms were "emancipated." I believe she meant, "emaciated." Also, multiple times, someone "hit the breaks" while driving instead of the "brakes."

Plot-wise, Jenks gets big, which is lots of fun! He's my favorite character in this series anyway.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Dec 14, 2008 Crazy Uncle Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Crazy Uncle Ryan by: Stephanie
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really enjoyed this one. I think this was the best book in this series so far. One part in particularly that I really enjoyed was the conversation between Rachel and Peter when they are Nick’s truck on the way to the bridge. Once again, I’m really looking forward to seeing how the series continues.

There is one problem I wanted to mention. Near the end of the book I noticed a LOT of typos. The publisher might need to invest in some better proofreaders.
Marsha
Rachel has found her way into more trouble - okay, trouble found her this time. Rachel returns to defend herself and her decision to help a Were friend after joining his 'pack.' She quickly learned that no good deed goes unpunished (even if it was for selfish purposes too - he,he). Her relationship with Kistin continues and seems to find a tentative calm - for the time being. Though, I missed Kistin for much of this book. Rachel also finds herself discovering that the black and white of using de...more
Lightreads
This is a road trip book, taking Rachel (witch), and eventually Ivy (living vampire), out of town with a newly reconciled Jencks (pixie) to chase after Nick (human) the ex boyfriend and thief, a potentially powerful artifact, and a lot of werewolves. It’s funny, because though things do happen here and the plot carries forward, I am left with the impression of a placeholder book. Which is still not a bad thing, mind you, and I think Harrison’s instinct to get the original three out of the Hollow...more
Jer
THIS IS A GREAT SERIES! It has become my all time favorite.
KIM HARRISON(Dawn Cook) is the best, you will be hooked from book 1, page 1.

SHE WILL ALWAYS LEAVE YOU WANTING MORE...AND WAITING FOR THE NEXT IN THE SERIES!

You will not be disappointed! K.H.'s characters come alive, you will laugh and cry with them, grow tremendously from book #1. I love the world that K.H. has created. Bio-engineered tomatoes, witches, vampires, pixies, faeries, trolls, wolves...

The first book runs kinda slow in the be...more
Ashley
Ok let me just say that I actually really like these books, but man am I really starting to get sick of Rachel. I mean COME ON! Why is it that she almost never uses her powers. I know that she's worried about going black when she'd rather stay white, but if your in deep shit somethings got to give. She has all these powers and when she's in trouble she doesn't use them. She waits awhile to see how bad it get's first and I dont think that's because she likes to live on the wild side a bit too muc...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Heidi

This is the fourth book in Kim Harrison’s Hollows series that follows the witch, Rachel Morgan, and her two business partners and friends, Ivy, the living vampire, and Jenks, the pixie.

In book three, Jenks left after Rachel didn’t trust him with a secret and they haven’t spoken since. Now Rachel finally gets her chance to mend things with him when his wife, Matalina, asks for her help. Rachel’s ex-boyfriend, Nick, left town and took Jenk’s and Matal...more
Lauren
So this wasn't my favorite of the Hollows series. A Fistful of Charms seems to focus more on Rachel & Ivy's relationship then it does anything else. And my usual cast of favorites were nowhere to be seen in this book, so that made it just a little bit harder to enjoy.

Seriously . Where the hell was Trent??? Since I know he wasn't off getting his elf ass married to that cold-hearted bitch from the last book - where the hell was he???
And no Al? No demon mischief whatsoever???
And Kisten - WHY...more
Kim
Apr 14, 2008 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Kelley Armstrong and Charlaine Harris
Whether you call it urban fantasy or paranormal romance, this subgenre of fantasy (or romance, if you prefer) is certainly going strong. It's one of my favorites, but there are so many series out there, with the same kick-ass heroines, sexy vamps (or weres, or fay) that it can be hard to pick and choose, and the stories all blend together for me, if I read too many in a row. So how did Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series get to be one of my favorite paranormal series? It's not because Harrison's...more
Sonia
This is so far my least favourite book in this serie. I missed some characters - Kisten, Kalamack, even the demon Al. The were storyline didn´t grab my attention as much as the previous ones. But I really enjoyed seeing the big Jenks :-)

Rachel developes her abilities further in this book. In order to save Nick and Jax and also herself she is forced to use demon magic. She sees the consequences of her every act but can´t find another way to save her friends. In the end we know the consequences a...more
Jackie
In book 4 of The Hollow Series, Rachel and a supersized Jenks head to Michigan to rescue Nick and Jax. Nick has stolen an artifact that the Weres want but Rachel knows that it will be a war between the Vampires and Weres like never before. After rescuing Nick and Jax, Rachel plots to make it appear like the focus is destroy and Nick has died so the Weres will leave her peace and Nick will be saved. She finds out Nick has betrayed her in more way than one.

Harrison has become one of my favorite ur...more
Kat
This book had a lot more action in it than previous Hollows books as far as pacing. Little to no digression from the plot, either, which shows that Harrison is beginning to tighten up her writing style, even as the books get a bit longer.

One thing I've noticed is the changes that are beginning to take place in Rachel Morgan. Unlike some other series (*cough* Anita Blake *cough*) the changes in this character are EXPLAINED and very UNDERSTANDABLE. In that sense, the character isn't really changin...more
Beatriz Valle
Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
This was ok, I liked it for the most part. I think it could have had more Kisten in it, I love him and I love what he brings to the table. I love it how he see's through Ivy, and how he feels for Rachel.

Nick is a punk, I hate him I hope Rachel ends up kicking his ass.

Ivy & Rachel hmmm that's an interesting aspect there... I don't know if I want them to hook up but I do kinda hope they find their blood balance maybe
Ashlie Nelson
This book was a wonderful edition to the Hollows series. It had everything you would expect from Kim Harrison, simple wonderful. I think this is one of my personal faves from the series because it takes place in my home state of Michigan. I know the bridge in the story very well. Lots of action from beginning to the end. Love Jenks in this one.
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Who's Your Author?: * A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4) by Kim Harrison 18 34 Sep 04, 2014 03:28PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Marshal 29 148 Mar 19, 2014 02:48PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Rex: as in Tyrannosaurs Rex? 12 137 Mar 06, 2014 03:02AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Looking for a hardcover edition 16 49 Feb 27, 2014 09:31PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Jenks getting human size 46 211 Feb 06, 2014 02:55PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: The bridge 32 161 Jan 26, 2014 10:24PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Finished! Final thoughts (and pizza) 14 164 Dec 16, 2013 12:50AM
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Darkling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #3)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac #2)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye #2)
  • Windfall (Weather Warden, #4)
Kim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.

Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook h...more
More about Kim Harrison...
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)

“Plan B?' Ivy said. 'What is plan B?'
Jenks reddened. 'Grab the fish and run like hell,' he muttered, and I almost giggled.”
244 likes
“Tagged by a whiny little vamp. Rache, take this sword and stick it in me. Just go and stick it in me. I'm a back-drafted, crumpled-winged, dust-caked, dew-assed excuse of a backup. Worthless as a pixy condom. Taken down by my own partner. Just tape my ass shut and let me fart out my mouth.” 141 likes