Start by marking “Absolute Power” as Want to Read:
Absolute Power

Absolute Power

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  52,898 ratings  ·  841 reviews
In a heavily guarded mansion in a posh Virginia suburb, a man and a woman start to make love, trapping Luther Whitney, a career break-in artist, behind a secret wall. Then the passion turns deadly, and Luther is running into the night. Because what he has just seen is a brutal murder involving Alan Richmond, the president of the United States, the man with...Absolute Power ...more
Published July 1st 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (first published June 16th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolute Power

Adam
David Baldacci's Absolute Power has a decent story, but it was hard for me to enjoy because I found the writing so hackneyed that it distracted me from the plot. Here's a representative descriptive passage:

At the sound of the explosion, the playing stopped as three pairs of eyes turned as one toward the house. In another minute they were inside. It only took one more minute for the screams to be heard. The quiet neighborhood was no more.

Forget, for a moment, the clumsy use of the passive voice i
Susan
I think this may not be a 'great' novel and has probably been panned by those far more astute than I, but I loved it. I was about 100 pages into in when I started on my trip of 1 one hour flight, 1 one hour layover and 1 five hour flight. It totally kept my interest until I finished the last page as we landed at my home airport. A veteran burglar chooses the wrong mansion to rob on the wrong night and witnesses the President of the United States trying to kill his sex partner and his secret ser ...more
Mike French
Somehow I missed this book when I started reading Baldacci. I am glad I saw it on Goodreads! It was a page turner from the start to the end. If you haven't read it,put it on top of your "to read" list!
Stephan
I am not sure how I felt about ABSOLUTE POWER. I have read several books by Baldacci, but this one seemed different. I rated it 4 out 5. It definitely grabbed my attention right at the beginning and kept me engaged. However, strictly my opinion, the story dragged out longer than it had to. The story line was busy and there was a lot of different characters popping up. Also, there were scenes it the story that did not have a great deal of significance with the story line.

The book started out with
Lisa Temple
Dec 31, 2013 Lisa Temple rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 18+
"Absolute Power" illustrates what it is I like best about David Baldacci's books: the perfect balance and blend of action and storyline. Rare is the storyteller that can capture the attention of my military fiction loving - action-craving husband, and at the same time provide enough compelling plot and character development to have me turning pages long into the night.

With the exception of his "Camel Club" series (if you haven't read them - run - go - find them now), "Absolute Power" is my favor
Jordan
May 24, 2013 Jordan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jordan by: Aunt Ret
I have never read a book by David Baldacci, nor have I seen the movie based on this book. The book was interesting enough to be enjoyable, but I didn’t love it.

The concept that the President of the United States is involved in murder and cover up was very intriguing. Perhaps my hopes were too high. Baldacci does a great job introducing a larger number of characters, but does not give you the feeling that there are too many characters to keep straight.

The story lines come together very well, but
Chris Matney
I listened to this book on audio CD while driving across country to a trade show. Having read some of Mr. Baldacci's later works, I was curious to go back a couple of decades to an earlier novel.

Overall, Absolute Power is a serviceable political thriller. As usual, Mr. Baldacci does an excellent job with character building - a strength of any good novel and certainly well done here. If you don't hate Alan Richmond by the end of this book, you haven't been paying attention. The supporting cast is
Jane Stewart
I did not enjoy the hopeless, helpless, anxious, unlucky, victim feel for most of the book. I also had problems with the narrator.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
Bad things keep happening to good guys. I didn’t have anybody to root for or to be excited for. No good guy was smart enough. The bad guys kept outsmarting the good guys. And luck was on the side of the bad guys. I never smiled while reading this book. My feelings were unpleasant. One night I had trouble sleeping because I was anxious and worried ab
Michael
Luther Whitney is a thief with a conscience. He's breaking into the home of a wealthy family in Washington D.C. when the woman of the house returns unexpectedly. He hides in the closet and she enters her room with her lover.

The two way mirror lets Luther see the action as the sex turns rough and when the man can't perform due to his alcoholic state, she ridicules him. A struggle ensues and the woman picks up a letter opener and is approaching the man when two other people come into the room. Wh
Bridget
A thief, Luther, got more than he bargained for when he visited a mansion in Virginia thinking he could make it out of there with a few prize pieces. He becomes trapped in the wall when two people being having an intimate moment. The shocking part is the murder that takes place and it has to do with the US president.

Jack is an attorney and he is determined to find out what really happened that night. Who is telling the truth, a burglar or the man entrusted with the most powerful job in America?

P
Jay Deb
This book has an explosive start. A thief watched a president kill an young woman and she happens to be the wife of a super-rich Washington socialite. The killing event is detailed fine-grained and is broken into multiple scenes and introduced the lawyer characters. After reading 60-70 pages I thought I could give this book a 5-star. But then I felt there were too many characters, which by the way I noticed in other Baldacci books as well, and story focuses on lawyers and the thief kind of moves ...more
Dennis Fischman
This book starts out in Bernie Rhodenbarr territory: in order not to get caught in the middle of a burglary, the burglar hides and becomes a witness to a murder. Only, the man in question is not Bernie Rhodenbarr but Luther Whitney, whose conscience is much more well developed. And too: he has a daughter who has reacted to his life of crime by becoming a prosecutor and refusing ever to see him. Finally: the murder he has witnessed was committed by the President of the United States.

A slick thril
Mike (the Paladin)
Good read, and while the movie based on this one isn't as dismal as a lot of movie adaptions, the book is still better. The opening is accurate...a thief happens to be present when the President (of the US) is involved in an extramarital liaison that brings about the killing of his "prospective sexual partner". The thief escapes and the Secret Service protection detail are involved in laying the murder at said thief's feet.

From there on the story spins off in a more involved dirrection than the
Chad Sayban
David Baldacci is one of my favorite authors of thrillers and Absolute Power is certainly one of his very best. This story has a great concept, great storytelling and a fantastic ending. Honestly, I found the plot of the book better than the movie (even though the movie is great, too). If you don’t enjoy Absolute Power, then thrillers are probably not your cup of tea. They don’t get a lot better than this.
Kelsey
My least favorite of Baldacci's because of the graphic violence. I ended up skipping most of the book just to see how it ended.
Sandra Heinzman
I started this 469 page book last night and finished it today. I think you know I must have liked it!!
Nathan
My first Baldacci novel. I've been looking for some good drama type fiction that I could use on my new, longer commute to work (think audio book). Baldacci's works came recommended from a friend. What a great find. The book was good enough that I would find myself sitting in my car in the driveway just because I didn't want to stop listening, the audio equivalent to looking at the clock in the bedroom at 4 am because you just can't put the book down.
There may have been a time or two during the
Justin
This book had a great premise and overall was good. I felt like there were too many subplots and it didn't get all wrapped and tied together neatly like in some other authors' books. I also didn't care of all of the bad language in it. I know that is lame to some and that sometimes that type of language is used to define a character, but it shouldn't be every character.

Spoiler alert:
The part of this book I disliked the most is the lack of Luther being in it. He had next to no dialogue, other tha
Greg Bascom
The opening scenes in ABSOLUTE POWER initiate a clever, imaginative plot. Luther Whitney, an experienced burglar in his late middle years, stealthy enters the master bedroom of an opulent mansion after disarming a sophisticated alarm system. Possessing inside information, Luther uses an innocuous remote control to open a walk in vault hidden behind a large wall mirror and loads his satchel with over a million dollars worth of goodies. Before he can leave, though, unexpected visitors enter the be ...more
Elizabeth Noah Astle
I have mixed feelings about his book. Luther Whitney goes into a home with the premise for burglary, and he ends up behind a one way mirror and witnesses a murder.

Luther is a criminal for life and after witness a high society woman, Christy, being murdered by an even more high profile person his life is on the line. Luther asks Jack, his daughter ex-boyfriend/fiance to represent him if anything happens. Jack has no idea what he is talking about but agrees to it for when the time comes.

Luther has
Marcis Erdeli
Deivids Baldači astoņus gadus strādājis par juristu Vašingtonā.Darbā gūta pieredze palīdzēja radīt romānu "Neierobežota vara". ASV, Midltonā, Virdžīnijas štatā tiek noslepkavota kāda sieviete, slepkavība iejaukts Savienoto Valstu prezidents, bet izrādījās , ka ir nozieguma aculiecinieks, prezidents liek abiem miesassargiem neitralizēt viņu, kā arī atgūt lietisko pierādījumu,kas varētu viņu pazudināt.Autors uzdod jautājumu vai prezidents drīkst palikt nesodīts par slepkavību?
Romāns sarakstīts
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 22, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Popular Thrillers (Which I'm Beginning to Suspect Isn't Me)
As popular thrillers go, this isn't badly written. Baldacci is a better writer judging from what I've read than a James Patterson or Dan Brown. Not high praise--just means he's not obviously eye-bleeding, but this is still reads as a generic pot-boiler. Nevertheless even Brown and Patterson have held me to the end of a couple of their books. Baldacci didn't here.

The thing is, I couldn't wrap my head around the basic premise. A cat burglar, Luther Whitney, is trapped in a vault with a one-way mi
Mj
This was another great Baldacci thriller that particularly appealed to me because it was set in a political background. The plot is full of twists and turns and I didn’t want to put the book down.

I also think Baldacci does a great job of fleshing out his characters - all living in Washtinton D.C. There are average Joes and Jills with the usual ups and downs in life, living both legal and illegal lives. There and secret service personel, politicians and staff working all involved at the White Ho
Arun Divakar
You think hard of what to put down about some books and surprisingly they do not turn up much, I file this book in that archive. This belongs to the I-should-have-read-this-earlier genre of novels wherein a read during pre-teen times would have give quite a kick. Conspiracies,bad cops, steamy hollywood-ish sex and blah di blah all combine within these covers. Knowing that this was a debut novel from Baldacci I have no doubt as to why he catapulted to the best seller lists.

Go into the room of rea
Wonsuck Choi
Let's face it. Baldacci is no Shakespeare. There is no need to judge his books based on their literary and artistic values. Like other popular writers, e.g., Gresham, Patterson, etc., his works belong to the popular culture with focus on entertainment. This book is one of his early works and it shows in both positive and negative ways. First, you can feel his passion and endeavor to write something memorable to many. He created a very interesting plot and introduced genuine characters. Then, you ...more
Ernest
A veteran bugler witnesses the President of the USA being involved in a vicious secret murder and is drawn into its cover up, escaping with the evidence that would implicate the President and those involved. Pursued by those who want it kept secret, the cover up has begun.

Baldacci's first novel is a political action thriller, with a simple premise leading to taut situations, characters with differing motives providing narrative tension and unexpected moments. While some of the writing was a litt
Seizure Romero
I read this after seeing the movie and while I enjoyed the book, I think this is one of the rare occasions when the movie was better. The plotting is tighter and the pacing makes it a much more intense tale. My biggest problem with Baldacci is that every one of his books I've read seems to be about 150 pages too long--and it's all fluff. For example: (SPOILER ALERT!) In translating this book to film Eastwood entirely eliminates the main character/narrator. The plot is revised so that Eastwood's ...more
Lara Mckee
My mom has been raving about this author. I thought I had selected his first book. My mom said that some characters carry over between books. Apparently this was not his first book. I absolutely HATED this book. It was the worst language I have ever read in a book. I am ashamed that I even finished it. The plot was ridiculous and there were hardly any likable characters (maybe Seth Frank and Luther). I would rank this book in my list of Least Favorite books( with The Shack, Lovely Bones, and Con ...more
Marialyce
I haven't read anything by Mr Balducci for quite some time and I must say that I selected the right novel to get back to this author's style. It was exciting, thrilling, and had more than a touch of believability. A real page turner as the author kept the reader engrossed in the lives of each and every character from the power seekers in DC, including the president, to the the common man. It does make one think of what power lies in the office of the president and Mr Balducci makes you think a l ...more
Corey Tardif
This is the book that got David Baldacci started in his writing career and for a first book I thought it was his best. I'd seen the movie Absolute Power with Clint Eastwood then I'd decided to read the book and I thought the book was a lot better. It follows the same plot line as the movie but it has many differences in it. It's about a long time thief named Luther Whitney who is in the middle of robbing a rich couple's home and he witnesses a murder and the man involved with it is the President ...more
Loved this book 3 27 Oct 18, 2014 10:50PM
  • The List
  • The Tenth Justice
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • The General's Daughter
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #3)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
David Baldacci published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996. A major motion picture adaptation followed, with Clint Eastwood as its director and star. In total, David has published 28 novels, all of which have been national and international bestsellers; several have been adapted for film and television. His novels have been translated into more than 45 languages and sold in more than 80 cou ...more
More about David Baldacci...
The Camel Club (Camel Club, #1) Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1) The Innocent (Will Robie,#1) Last Man Standing Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4)

“Today might not be so good. But tomorrow, you got another chance to get it right.” 27 likes
“You know what kind of person it takes to run for President? Not normal. They could start out okay, but by the time they reach that level they've sold their soul to the devil so many times and stomped the guts out of enough people that they are definitely not like you and me, not even close.” 7 likes