Start by marking “500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes, from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  353 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Low-fat or low-carb? A recent New York Times Magazine (July 7, 2002) cover story answered this question and said that Dr. Atkins was right all along, "its not fat that makes us fat but carbohydrates." Though the government has spent hundreds of millions of dollars in research trying to prove that fat is the cause of obesity, there has been a subtle shift in the scientific ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Fair Winds Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about 500 Low-Carb Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 Low-Carb Recipes

Carla Peele
May 03, 2016 Carla Peele rated it it was amazing
The recipes taste SO amazing, but better still is the carb information you need!

Just had Basil Beef Stirfry (page 328) but with Chicken and Peas. SO amazing. (I also added the tweaks of overnight marinating, pureeing the onion, and cooking in small batches as chicken is SO much better that way.)

-- 1 lb boneless chicken, cut into small strips
-- 1/2 cup oil
-- 1/2 of an onion, pureed
-- 2 teaspoons dried basil (or 2 tbsp fresh)
-- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
-- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
-- 1/4 teaspoon Splenda
Bookfanatic
Apr 15, 2014 Bookfanatic rated it really liked it
A solid collection of recipes for those who want to keep white sugar, white flour and unhealthy carbs to a minimum. The recipes here aren't complicated or time-consuming. This book could work for a novice or an experienced cook. There are a variety of recipes from soups to desserts. The dishes aren't all American either. The author provides notes with the recipes so one knows which recipes are kid tested and kid approved. I was surprised there wasn't a single crustless quiche recipe here. At lea ...more
Robert Beveridge
Dana Carpender, 500 Low-Carb Recipes (Fair Winds, 2002)

Not a bad little collection, with some interesting recipes and a few ideas you might not have seen before, but I may have not quite understood the definition of “recipe”. I realize you can apply it to any written procedure for cooking, but I'm thinking more of the popular version of the word, and it strikes me that a recipe containing two ingredients (a steak and some butter) and one step (fry the steak) doesn't quite reach the mark. I mean,
Rachel Graft
Oct 22, 2015 Rachel Graft rated it it was amazing
Since I started this Low Carb journey. Dana Carpender is a great cook. This is my go to cookbook & i have many favorites that i make over & over again. Sweet & Sour Cabbage is a request both my men like. ( Husband & son)
Kris
May 15, 2016 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
There are a lot of good ideas in this book, especially for LC newbies who are asking "What can I eat besides bacon?" :-)
Loraine
Mar 27, 2012 Loraine rated it really liked it
This is a great recipe book, but I gave it a 4 because it has so MUCH dairy in it. Dairy is good. In moderation. I ate like this for a long time, and didn't seem to make much progress with my health/weight . . . so I looked at other alternatives, i.e., eat clean, low GI, Schwarzbein, etc. and found that when I cut dairy and grains, my health improved, bloating problems went away and I felt lighter and better. As I said, dairy and grains are ok . . . in great moderation. Better to stick with vegg ...more
Jesse Dean
Apr 29, 2015 Jesse Dean rated it did not like it
So, this is like the pilsbury cookbook, but with Splenda instead of sugar in every recipe.
Holly
Apr 06, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
This is the book that pushed me into the low carb craze I am in now! All sorts of snacks, main meals, salads, drinks, desserts - you name it, it's here! There are no pictures, but I haven't had something of Dana's yet that was unsavory or unpleasant. I have made my own tweeks here and there (large margins are a plus) for personal taste... but everything has been wonderful. I love this cook book! It's my favorite.
Joline Moore
Sep 13, 2013 Joline Moore rated it it was amazing
I had folded down so many pages to copy in a borrowed book that I had to go on Amazon & buy my own copy! You will LOVE this book if you are doing low carb! It has desserts and breakfasts and sauces and other great things that aren't the obvious thing you see on the web. Also, it has all nutritional info. Most have normal ingredients that aren't too "out there" if you want to keep it simple and natural! Buy one!
Diane
Aug 29, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing
I'm biased. There isn't a single book by Dana Carpender that I haven't enjoyed. I've bought many of her cookbooks, and given them as gifts. She is witty and honest and makes even just reading through the book an enjoyable experience. Some of her recipes have become my favorites.
Jana Brown
Jan 10, 2011 Jana Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, cookbook
I like the idea of this cookbook more than the specific recipes. It's been a good place to go for ideas, but I think they over use the whey powder which can taste odd, particularly in baked recipes.
Ticktocktammy
Aug 23, 2013 Ticktocktammy rated it liked it
ITS OKAY!! Lotsa stuff in there I cant use and not interested in using. But at least theres some good ones. Copied all the ingredeints to my iphone so I wont have to sift through all the crap again.
Smokinjbc
Sep 08, 2007 Smokinjbc rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Low Carbers
Shelves: cookbooks
This book was my bible the first time I went on Atkins about 4 years ago. Thanks to this book I lost a bunch and didn't have to suffer to much!
Lisa Topp
Apr 21, 2008 Lisa Topp rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Great resource for low-carb cooking. Has everything from basic snacks and easy, few-ingredient meals, to more complicated recipes.
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Trying to find meals that work with the s/low carb diet we're trying. So far we've made two great dinners from this cookbook - hooray!
Alicia
Mar 10, 2008 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nutrition
So far, every recipe I have tried is great. I liked it so much I bought 500 More recipes as well.
Cathy
Aug 09, 2008 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I use this book all the time. The author is humorous and her recipes are easy to follow.
Mary Chambers
Oct 18, 2012 Mary Chambers rated it it was amazing
As usual, Dana Carpender comes through with great advice and great recipes.
Rose
Dec 30, 2007 Rose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to anyone who wants to cut carbs
Very good book to cut carbs.
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
THis has some great recipes (also has some things that really don't qualify as "recipes", but...). Especially for when you are sick of cooking grilled chikcne or fish and steamed veggis.
Judy Everett
Judy Everett rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Evelyn Carver
Evelyn Carver marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Jennifer Turner
Jennifer Turner marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
margaret pettibone
margaret pettibone rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Jeffrey Zeldman
Jeffrey Zeldman is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
Brainy Boro
Brainy Boro rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • George Stella's Livin' Low Carb: Family Recipes Stella Style
  • The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook: 200 Simple and Delicious Low-Carb Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • Cook Right 4 Your Type: The Practical Kitchen Companion to Eat Right 4 Your Type
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • The Biggest Loser Calorie Counter
  • Six Weeks to OMG
  • Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery
  • The 1,500-Calorie-A-Day Cookbook
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
  • Hungry Girl to the Max!: The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook
  • The 5 Factor Diet
91977
Dana Carpender started her writing career as a self-published author. In 1995, after years of creative low fat cooking featuring whole grains and other “healthy” carbohydrates, and despite five step aerobics classes per week, she found herself a size 20, and gaining! Worse, her blood pressure was rising, and she was left dragging by energy swings. Dropping carbs long before it was fashionable, Car ...more
More about Dana Carpender...