Start by marking “A Land To Call Home” as Want to Read:
A Land To Call Home

A Land To Call Home (Red River of the North #3)

4.42  ·  Rating Details ·  1,708 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
This is Book 3 in the continuing saga, Red River of the North, detailing the taming of Dakota Territory. The land itself nearly destroys the brave pioneers, then the fire. Will they still hold on to their dream?
Published May 1st 1997 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Land To Call Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Land To Call Home

Heidi
Nov 27, 2007 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This series has to be my favorite! I love how the author keeps old characters and updates you on them through the series, it's like seeing old friends again :) The series is also filled with inspiration for living a Godly life though all its trials. I love it when I can see God through characters in a Christian novel, sometimes that is missing and when I pick up Christian fiction it is what I really love to see. I don't want to just read 'clean' books, although that is important, I want to read ...more
Christy
Sep 01, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Anyone who enjoys homesteading or pioneering fiction would certainly have to enjoy the Red River series. What makes these so interesting to me is after you read the back of the book and you think you know what the story is about you will find out the story is so much more. There is a host of characters in each novel and once again I was introduced to many more in this one. The story encompassed all these many facets and so it never stalled on the prairie it just made me want to keep reading. The ...more
Alice
Feb 21, 2008 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series continues pretty strong. However, the more characters the author adds to the mix, the more the focus suffers.
It seems authors feel they must touch on every character they have mentioned in the past and bring us an update on how they are doing. After a while it feels like dropping in on your class reunion...
Sarah Grace
This book almost surpassed the first two! So amazing!
Catie
Nov 06, 2016 Catie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I really enjoyed the first few books in this series. I loved reading about the settlers from Norway to the Dakota territory, however in this third book, I'm getting a little bored. :) Not too much is happening that's holding my interest.

I think I just need to read a few mysteries then I can come back to this! ;)
Carol
May 17, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read this series before, & it's well worth reading again!

The setting is in Dakota Territory, September 1884. Penny Sjornson is writing to Hjelmer, again! She had promised to write once a week, but he hadn't answered her letters. Penny's Aunt Agnes wished she knew! When Penny was told that he had been seen kissing another young woman, she broke the tip of her pen. Agnes started to get up to get coffee, but Penny insisted that she'd get it because of her aunt's swollen feet. When Penny b
Kathryn
Dec 22, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I enjoyed "Blessing in Disguise" more than this particular book. Snelling, in my opinion tried too hard to tell the stories of at least three different women. All of those women had at least a page or two of “narration” in Blessing but the primary story was that of Augusta.

I have to admit that I was at least partially distracted because of the fact that I am currently sitting in the family waiting room of the surgical center while my dad has surgery to repair a hernia
Dee Renee  Chesnut
May 31, 2014 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
A Land to Call Home is the third novel of the Red River of the North series, and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first two novels.
I expected this novel to be about the story of Hjelmer and Penny. There might not have been enough material to base an entire novel about Penny waiting for Hjelmer to return for he never writes to her to tell her what he is doing and the weekly letters she sends to him never seem to find him. There is the occasional chapter about how a blacksmith might work for th
Lieniitte (Liene)
A good continuation to the series! Lauraine Snelling knows how to write a series with the same characters, keeping you interested in them and all that's going on. Her writing style is also very pleasant, she's a master at showing instead of telling and that's awesome!

At no fault at all of the author, I didn't like this one as much as the others in the series. I think I should have taken a break and read something else in between this one and the previous one in the series. I read the first 4 boo
Allan67
Aug 12, 2015 Allan67 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book read to the wife. She loves to be read to, she always has. Reading is one of the few things that we can do together

Again, this book continues on the story of the previous three books of the series. Yes, I know, but there was a book 0 or prequel to the series. In this book, Ingeborg and Kaaaren prove up their homesteads, Hjelmer and Penney grow up, Andrew and Thorliff get a baby sister and Kaaren and Lars have children as well, the railroad comes and the town of Blessing is begun.

I
Pegg
Aug 16, 2014 Pegg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ingeborg's youngest brother-in-law, Hjelmer Bjorklund, beat a hasty retreat from their North Dakota homestead in front of an angry father with a shotgun. Confessing his innocence the entire time, he pledges to come home to the girl he loves, Penny Sjornson. But after months without a single letter, the entire family is left wondering if Hjelmer is alive or dead.

Kaaren gives birth to premature twin girls. Her sister, Solveig, is due to arrive, but instead of being helpful with the twins, Solveig
Patsy
Sep 07, 2013 Patsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great series of how the Dakota's were settled and how towns were built from small communities.
Their everyday life was such a struggle but God was with them and they always had faith. The Bjorklund
family grew bigger as more of their relatives came to America. It was good to learn about the people and
their personalities, the characters were well described and I had no problem keeping up with the story. There
were stories about the building of the railroads across the west and steam boat
Catherine
Alice Blanco
By now, I am very bored with these books. I put the book down and was not going to finish it. You could see who was going to marry whom, what each person was thinking and when things were going to happen. Even the thanking God for everything was becoming overbearing. I finished the book only because I don't like to leave things unfinished. Even though the building of the territory and the advancing railroad build were interesting, the rest became Ho-hum.
Amy
Jun 27, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good continuation of story, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two in the series. I think this book bounced around too much between the characters. It almost felt like a "glue" novel. The novel that is right in the middle and before the characters in other books separate from the main story and become their own individual stories? That is what A Land to Call Home was. Enjoyable glue for the upcoming books in the series.
Fay Risner
Mar 16, 2016 Fay Risner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another look at the Bjorkland family while they homestead in Dakota territory. Besides learning more about the lives of the family in book three, we are treated to an education about how tough homesteading was with peeks at women's homemaker tasks and men's hard work to improve the land so they can keep their farms. From book one throughout the series, Lauraine Snelling is good at leaving readers wanting to know what happens next in the Bjorkland family.
Apr 20, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book three in the Red River of the North series. Having lived on their land for five years, it is officially theirs. Finally, after all the hard work and losses along the way, it is official. A school is built and more babies born. Relatives from Norway are wanting to come and join them. While it is mostly the same hard work, I continue to read to keep up with the characters.
Connie
Sep 16, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the Red River North Series by Snelling. Continue to admire the courage of these people, and I am fascinated by all of the labor and time/saving inventions that are making farming and life in general less difficult.
Jenn
Sep 25, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. I loved moments of it, and I appreciated how God and hope were well-written themes throughout. The book as a whole, however, did not keep me extremely captivated. Worth reading, but not "I can't put this down!" good.
Jayci Reeder
Mar 06, 2014 Jayci Reeder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are hitting home with me and have been just what I've been craving in a read. Uplifting stories of hard work and hardships in my own area of the country. Rich story lines and and wonderful attention to details to make the characters seem so real.
Beth
Aug 28, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a habit of rereading a book when there's a new booking coming out in the series. And though "An Untamed Heart" will take place before they come to America. I still wanted to go back though all of the books on Blessing. It's like catching up with a old friend.
judy louise hurlbert
GOOD clean experienced writing

I have enjoyed this series. I enjoy reading books that keeps my interest. stories about times long past. while reading you feel right with them. during the blizzards I felt sweater was called for. Great entertainment.
Georgianne
Oct 25, 2014 Georgianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this series are starting to feel like old friends. Amazing the hardships endured out on the prairie, their work ethic, and how they overcame heartache with a steadfast spirit and faith.
Shirlyn
Feb 20, 2010 Shirlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just like this really simple read of the struggles of living as pioneers in the 1800's. The series is not to challenging but an easy read without all the junk of sex, offensive language and offensive topics that books sometimes slip in to get published.
Hope
Apr 29, 2015 Hope rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story! It gives me immense pleasure to share this family with the author. So many trials, so many hardships, such incredible joy and through it all runs the thread that God is always faithful.
Hope
Apr 03, 2015 Hope rated it it was amazing
Bibliobabe
Next installment in a satisfying series. Kaaren delivers preemie twins, Hjelmer is trying to prove himself, and Penny decides not to wait for him and moves to the city for schooling. Another lovely, uplifting story in the face of terrible hardships.
Mom
What challenges to work the land and homestead when there is hardly anyone or any town near you. The Bjoklunds have many trials but lots of joy also. Author keeps the story moving along. Love the series. Dreaming about what it would have been like to live back in the 1886's. Hmmmmm...
Elaine Aikey
Mar 12, 2014 Elaine Aikey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner for Lauraine Snelling

Another winner for Lauraine Snelling

The story of the immigrants of North Dakota continues. Many twists and turns give them work, joy, heartache, and reason to seek God in their lives for thankfulness, direction, and answers.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 31, 2015 11:30AM
  • Where the Heart Leads (Heart of the Prairie #2)
  • Like Gold Refined (A Prairie Legacy, # 4)
  • Dawn of the Golden Promise (Emerald Ballad #5)
  • The Noble Fugitive (Heirs of Acadia, # 3)
  • An Uncertain Dream (Postcards from Pullman #3)
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
  • A Love of Her Own (Heart of the West, #3)
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...

Red River of the North (6 books)
  • An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1)
  • A New Day Rising (Red River of the North, #2)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)
  • Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North, #6)

“Father, I leave them in your hands, for mine are far too small and weak. You are God, and I thank you.” 1 likes
“Sometimes men are still boys, only wearing bigger clothes, until God takes them by the suspenders and gives them a good shake.” 1 likes