A Big Ball of String (Beginner Books)

A Big Ball of String (Beginner Books)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  18 reviews
After winding a large ball of string, a young boy has fun finding ways of using it.
Published September 12th 1958 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published May 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Big Ball of String, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Big Ball of String

Emily
I also posted this under "Discussion," but wanted to add it here as well: This book was illustrated, but not written, by Roy McKie.

I'm delighted to see "A Big Ball of String" is still enjoyed by children and parents--and remembered fondly by those who first heard (or read) it as kids themselves. Marion Holland, the author, was my grandmother. She wrote and illustrated "A Big Ball of String," published in 1958. It was reissued in 1993 with fun illustrations by Roy McKie.

Marion Holland also wrot...more
Muse Here
My sister just reminded me of this one. We used to love it as kids. I think I read it to my son when he was little, before losing the book. Very creative and clever. I liked how the sick boy used his cleverness to still keep busy, though he didn't really stay in bed, but honestly I don't think he really seemed sick. Still, very clever and cute. Also, I'm fairly certain it rhymed as well. I love clever rhyming books.
Lotte
This is one of the best read-alouds for young children! A sick boy must stay in his room and makes all kind of creative fun with a ball of string: "I can do anything, anything, with a big ball of string!!" This has not been published for many years - what a loss!!
Anne
This was my big brother's favorite book at the time. One of my favorite pictures of us all was with he and I in my grandmother's lap while she read it to us.

"I can do anything, anything I said!"
Kathy
This is at the top of the list of fun books to read with kids! I think I about have it memorized! Great fun!
Ronan Mason
This was my fav book as a kid - I think my Dad had to 'lose' it because he got sick of reading it to me!
Chrystal Flamank
I can do anything, anything at all with my big ball of string.
Kelly
I loved this book as a kid; we would read it over and over and over.
Eric Bowman
My favorite children's book; my Mother probably has it memorized.
Sharon
I have four siblings and it was a favorite of us all.
Susannah McFarlane
I LOVED this book when I was a little - it almost made me want to day home sick from school! I even tried to hook up the intricate rope system in my bedroom, with less than impressive results.

A wonderful story about inventiveness and imagination - the things you can do with a ball of string!
Rebecca
A fun early reader about all the things a boy comes up to do with a ball of string instead of staying in bed like his mother told him. Kids like the story.
Kirei
Oct 17, 2008 Kirei rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers to elementary
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a book about a boy and his string. I thought it seemed to go on and on with no plot and therefore was a little boring, but my five year old son seemed to like it. He asked me to read it again (although he asks that with many books!)
Anna Loeppky
This is a story of a young boy who has a huge ball of string. He uses this ball of string for many different purposes. This book is the adventure that he goes on with his ball of string. This book is suitable for early childhood readers.
Theresa
an early reader talking about collecting things and the importance of keeping things organized
Hbrous Broussard
My kids enjoyed this book. Not much of a story, but it is fun to read aloud.
Amanda Perez
Amanda Perez marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Carol Linarez
Carol Linarez marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Mirjam
Mirjam marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Micah
Micah added it
Jun 20, 2014
Angie Bergstrom
Angie Bergstrom marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Book by Marion Holland; Roy McKie is illustrator! 1 1 Apr 04, 2012 07:36AM
No Children, No Pets The Secret Horse No Room for a Dog The Christmas Tree Crisis