Start by marking “Computer Power And Human Reason Ii” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Computer Power And Hum...

Joseph Weizenbaum

Computer Power And Human Reason Ii

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Computer Power and Human Reason is a distinguished computer scientist's elucidation of the impact of scientific rationality on man's self-image.
Paperback
Published by W.H. Freeman & Company (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Computer Power And Human Reason Ii, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Computer Power And Human Reason Ii

Kami
This was a book I really wanted to read after having heard much about it and, of course, played with ELIZA and 'her' successors (and produced my own paltry successor). I'm glad I made the effort to track it down.

I really relate to Weizenbaum as a writer, because there are two clear sides to the way he approaches his topic. He starts by talking science in what is a quite accessible but no less technical manner. He quickly shows himself to be a person who, more than merely knowing the theories and
Courtney
In addition to walking down memory lane, reminiscing on my study of computer engineering, I enjoyed a technical, philosophical, as well as ethical treatment of artificial intelligence. I do like that Weizenbaum was willing to "just say no" to certain projects on a computer. And I truly felt his impassioned call toward personal responsibility in the last chapter.

The one thing that played out very differently than Weizenbaum predicted was speech recognition. He felt it would be too expensive and n
William Li
Probably the most important book that I misunderstood in college.
Paul Berry
A book too important to be read just once.
Jonathan Lidbeck
How much do you trust a computer? The answer to this question has probably changed somewhat since 1976, and the relevance of this book has slipped. Now they're all around us, they are commonplace, invasive. So, to appreciate Weizenbaum's book fully, get in a time machine--to a time when you needed to schedule time to be with a computer, the computer had a cabal-like group of attendants to help you make requests of it, and this computer had a presence--like a guru on a mountain, you came to it.

Jlawrence
Interesting anti-artificial intelligence argument from one of the pioneers of AI (he developed that program ELIZA which simulates a psychiatrist that parrots back your responses to you -- if you messed with you computers in the 80s you likely played some variant of it). Was suggested in Godel, Escher, Bach as a important counter viewpoint, which is how I ended up reading it.
Jason
Having practiced computer model building for a while, I have often been perplexed by the way managers respond to these decision support tools. This book helps reveal the motivations and beliefs of those who would, if they could, make all quantitative analysis automatic and disconnected from the process of thinking.

I have read this book twice and yet I think I still haven't completely grasped the point Weizenbaum is making about the the problems with the way computers execute their commands.
Alex Railean
I really enjoyed this one, it covers the problem from many aspects and the author places a great emphasis on the moral side of the issue too.

Besides that, if you're interested in understanding how computers work - this is a good choice. If you liked "Code" by Charles Petzold, you will find some of the first chapters of this book familiar.
Ron
Still relevant and thought provoking.
Mahya Moq
Mahya Moq marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Jeanny
Jeanny added it
May 14, 2015
Boney
Boney marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Shalki Shrivastava
Shalki Shrivastava marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Hora
Hora marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Kelzier
Kelzier marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Eszter
Eszter marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Dmitriy Kavyazin
Dmitriy Kavyazin marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
jan3z
jan3z marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Harsha K
Harsha K marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Shahrose
Shahrose marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
g0ldenboy
g0ldenboy marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Matheus Borges
Matheus Borges marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Caleigh
Caleigh marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • Things That Make Us Smart: Defending Human Attributes In The Age Of The Machine
  • What Computers Still Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason
  • The Psychology of Computer Programming
  • Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era
  • Are We Spiritual Machines?: Ray Kurzweil vs. the Critics of Strong AI
  • The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
  • Myth of the Machine : Technics and Human Development
  • The Whale and the Reactor: A Search for Limits in an Age of High Technology
  • The Society of Mind
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • Darwin Among The Machines: The Evolution Of Global Intelligence
  • The Cambridge Quintet: A Work Of Scientific Speculation
  • The Systems Bible: The Beginner's Guide to Systems Large and Small: Being the Third Edition of Systemantics
  • The Value of Science: Essential Writings of Henri Poincare
  • The Solitary Vice: Against Reading
  • Cybernetics: or the Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine
  • Infinite in All Directions
  • The Principles of Mathematics
Wo Sind Sie, Die Inseln Der Vernunft Im Cyberstrom?: Auswege Aus Der Programmierten Gesellschaft Kurs Auf Den Eisberg Mýtus počítače Zur Anpassung Des Designs An Die Digitalen Medien Sind Computer Die Besseren Menschen?: Ein Streitgespräch

“Our time prides itself on having finally achieved the freedom from censorship for which libertarians in all ages have struggled...The credit for these great achievements is claimed by the new spirit of rationalism, a rationalism that, it is argued, has finally been able to tear from man's eyes the shrouds imposed by mystical thought, religion, and such powerful illusions as freedom and dignity. Science has given us this great victory over ignorance. But, on closer examination, this victory too can be seen as an Orwellian triumph of an even higher ignorance: what we have gained is a new conformism, which permits us to say anything that can be said in the functional languages of instrumental reason, but forbids us to allude to...the living truth...so we may discuss the very manufacture of life and its 'objective' manipulations, but we may not mention God, grace, or morality.” 5 likes