Start by marking “Have Tech Will Travel (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Have Tech Will Travel (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #1)

Have Tech Will Travel (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus #1)

Need a gigantic, marauding starship explored? Is your global computer system starting to break down? Call in the crack team from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers. Overseen by Captain Montgomery Scott from his office at Starfleet Headquarters, the S.C.E. can build, rebuild, program, reprogram, assemble, reassemble, or jus

Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Have Tech Will Travel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have Tech Will Travel

Aug 17, 2008 Mike added it
Shelves: science-fiction
So far, so good. Weird, fun Star Trek novel. The idea is that it follows a ship full of Engineers, the ones who have to go fix things on the fly, who have to figure out how alien technologies work, that sort of thing. It's really rather geeky, so I rather like it.
Aug 08, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I only really read this because I recently got a new palm pilot, and the ebook reader with it came with a free copy, but I did end up enjoying it quite a bit.

This is a collection of four short stories revolving around the Starfleet Corps of Engineers - the people that get called in in the Star Trek world whenever some tech needs exploring or fixing.

That partially skewed my perceptions of this book - due to it being about engineers, I was expecting it to be more hard-SF (within the context of Sta
Jun 30, 2009 Webstartm rated it really liked it
This book has 4 stories and 2. and 3. are great. Fourth story ends in cliffhanger and it resolves in next book of the SCE series "Miracle worker" . Star trek corpse of engineering as a concept I find intriguing and characters interesting enough. Stories are easy to read because they aren't full of technical terms as I was expecting. I recommend it firstly to all trekkies. Others should perhaps start with older TOS books.
Jan 12, 2010 Bryan rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, sf
I got this free when I downloaded eReader for my Palm Treo smartphone a few years back. It took a while to read (I always had other books on my phone that I wanted to read more than this), but actually it was quite good. For a free book, I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately only 3 of the 4 stories finished up, so now I have to find the next SCE book to finish off the "Interphase" story.

But it was time well spent. A very fast read, and entertaining - this wasn't too "guilty" of a pleasure. (Not a b
Jun 07, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-own
Dec 15, 2010 Vic rated it liked it
Interesting stories about the Starfleet Core of Engineers. Cameos by Geordi and Picard were cool. It was a pretty quick, easy read but enjoyable if you can use your imagination to get into the stories.
Jul 20, 2011 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable read. A smattering of series characters and some new. This is an anthology of stories about the Starfleet Core of Engineer who are generally called in for problems that need a heavier engineering crew than the usual starfleet ship compliment can afford.

Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it did not like it
Some fun stories in the SCE books, but overall I think they're fairly poorly written. Maybe it's just because they're for young adults.
Jan 03, 2012 Thom rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-series
A collection of four stories, not all superb. Ends on a cliffhanger, so I have to move on to the fifth story (in the second collection) quite soon.
Daren rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Infinite rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
Christine rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Robert Lewter
Sep 22, 2012 Robert Lewter rated it really liked it
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Kristy rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2013
Luca Mauri
Luca Mauri rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Jd rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
David Guzzetta
David Guzzetta rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Andrew rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
James Liu
Sep 06, 2014 James Liu rated it it was ok
Four short stories that go by pretty quick. The last one ends on a cliffhanger that gets picked up in Omnibus 2. Found them okay but unsatisfying, like the literary equivalent of junk food. Characters weren't very developed, plots were pretty straightforward, and some examples of cliched writing. Not much one can do in the short amount of pages each story spans, I suppose.
Oct 15, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book most when it wasn't trying to tie into existing Trek characters. Having a conversation with Captain Picard or bringing Geordi along on an away mission felt too much like b-grade fan fiction to me. But having an original 24th-century ship with an original crew is fun! My other main complaint was too much 23rd-century (read The Original Series) Trek popping up. Scotty heads up the Starfleet Corps of Engineers?! I liked Scotty in TOS and the movies, but he just seems out of place ...more
Brian Turner
Sep 29, 2014 Brian Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A spin off novel in the universe of Next Generation/Deep Space Nine & Voyager.
Starfleet Corps of Enginners (SCE) are the uber techs of the Federation, under the command of Scotty (after being rescued from the transporter buffer).

It starts with a mysterious ship attacking the Entrprise, and SCE are tasked to investigate it. (The Enterprise lends LaForge to help, in the manner of a character from a previous series being in the opening episode of a new one).

The stories are well written, althoug
Nov 26, 2014 Douglas rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks, sci-fi, fiction
This is a good book of stories following up on Starfleet after the war with the Dominion from the point of view of engineers.
Apr 26, 2015 Dustin rated it liked it
The Belly of the Beast by Dean Wesley Smith
"My ship, whom I love like a woman..." is my favorite line from the Futurama episode "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" because it is a perfect example of the majority of fan fiction. It's stilted, cliche, and renders the characters cardboard cutouts of the the characters from the original media. On every single page of this book I was reminded of that line. The dialogue is awkward and unnatural, the characters from the show are flat imitations, the new cha
Oct 07, 2015 Trev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to make of SCE before I read this. Now I have I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it but know it won't be to everyone's taste. It has the usual mix of what makes Trek books. Witty one-lines, random species that no ones ever heard of before, massive issues and problems solved by a handful of people etc. However I don't think this will be to everyone's tastes.

Do to my lifestyle and commuting I like books that I can get through quickly and this meets that criteria. With each nove
Dies ist der erste Print-Sammelband der eBook-Serie, die bei CrossCult in den vergangenen Jahren auf Deutsch veröffentlicht wurde.
Er handelt von dem Ingeniuers-Corps der Sternenflotte, das von Montgomery Scott angeführt wird, dem legendären Ingenieur der ENTERPRISE unter Captain Kirk und Commander Spock. Die eigenliche Geschichte wird aber getragen von der DA VINCI (der Name ist Synonym) unter Captain Gold und Commander Sonya Gomez (die kennen wir aus TNG). Die vier Geschichten sind aufeinander
Rocky Sunico
Jan 20, 2016 Rocky Sunico rated it really liked it
I've posted a full review of this book on my blog here:
Russell Williams
Russell Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Steven rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Oct 08, 2016 Aaron rated it really liked it
Great entry into the Star Trek series. Very interesting concept and reads quickly. Its a nice change of pace from the typical Star Trek adventures. Small ship, small crew of Engineers doing big things.
  • Some Assembly Required (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #3)
  • Wildfire (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #6)
  • No Surrender (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus #4)
  • Foundations (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #5)
  • Grand Designs (Star Trek Corps of Engineers, #9)
  • Out of the Cocoon
  • Star Trek: SCE: Wounds (Star Trek: Sce)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Never Ending Sacrifice
  • Wagon Train to the Stars (Star Trek: New Earth, #1)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Gauntlet (Star Trek: Stargazer, #1)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
Pen Names
Edward Taft
Dee W. Schofield
D.W. Smith
Sandy Schofield
Kathryn Wesley

Dean Wesley Smith is the bestselling author of over ninety novels under many names and well over 100 published short stories. He has over eight million copies of his books in print and has books published in nine different countries. He has written many original novels in science fiction, fantasy, mystery, thriller, and r
More about Dean Wesley Smith...

Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Miracle Workers (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #2)
  • Some Assembly Required (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #3)
  • No Surrender (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus #4)
  • Foundations (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #5)
  • Wildfire (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #6)
  • Breakdowns (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #7)
  • Aftermath (Star Trek: SCE)
  • Grand Designs (Star Trek Corps of Engineers, #9)
  • Creative Couplings (Star Trek: Corps of Engineers)
  • Star Trek: SCE: Wounds (Star Trek: Sce)