A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)

A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight #7)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  972 ratings  ·  81 reviews
On a cold, miserable night in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, a night that wouldn't feel so unusual if it wasn't the Fourth of July, an antique wooden boat runs full-speed into a line of old railroad pilings in the shallow waters of Waishkey Bay. When Alex McKnight helps rescue the passengers, he finds three men. The driver is out cold, the other two are dazed but conscious.
Published September 5th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2006)

CT
Since the very first book in the series, A Cold Day in Paradise, I have been a huge fan of the Alex McKnight series. Part of the reason is Steve Hamilton’s excellent, terse writing. However, it’s the character of Alex McKnight that really intrigues me. McKnight isn’t like all those “smart” P.I.s out there. He often makes stupid decisions, reacts impulsively, and uses brute force. Unfortunately, he always seems to think with his fists first.

This latest McKnight adventure sees Alex as happy as he’...more
Holly McIntyre
This is the first of the Steve Hamilton novels I've read and I really like it -- as good as a Sue Grafton, maybe better, not quite as good as a Jeffrey Deaver. I'm going back now and starting the series at the beginning.

It doesn't have the edge of your seat suspense and unexpected twists of a Deaver mystery, but does have solid plot development and characters with whom I would enjoy sitting down at the Glasgow and cracking a cold Canadian. It was the U.P. setting that caught my eye in the first...more
Jim
In the world of Alex McKnight, no good deed goes unpunished. He helps rescue some guys after a nasty accident out on the lake, and they turn out to be professional criminals with an underdeveloped sense of gratitude. Pretty soon, Alex is forced to deal with drug-smugglers, gun-runners, and a failing long-distance relationship with Ontario Police Constable Natalie Reynaud.

As always, Steve Hamilton makes good use of his setting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula to set mood. For all its peace and beaut...more
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Alex McKnight, sort of PI
SETTING: Paradise, Michigan; Canada
SERIES: #7 of 7
RATING: 4.25

Whenever I begin to read the latest book in a favorite series, I experience conflicting emotions. On the one hand, I am happy to put myself in the hands of a favorite author and spend time with characters I've come to love. On the other, I am completely bummed out because I know that I won't be seeing them again for a year or more. I've come to think of this as spending time with distant relatives...more
Leew49
It's a cold, gray July in Paradise, Michigan; a summer that's not going to happen, a stolen season. Alex McKnight rescues three men from a sinking boat and finds his life unpleasantly entangled with theirs from then on. His girlfriend Natalie Raynaud is working as an undercover cop in Toronto. Their two problems turn out to be different sides of the same criminal case, but McKnight doesn't find out until a terrible tragedy has already struck.

I asked Vinnie what the Ojibwa word was for fall.
"It's...more
Rasmus
This book was a huge disappointment.

The characters are thinner than the paper they are printed on and the plot as predictable as the sunrise. Twists and setups are presented - only to fizzle out. I only managed to finish this book because I had already invested enough hours reading it, that stopping would make me feel even dumber than the main character, Alex McKnight.

McKnight is a crappy lead. Hamilton attempts to portray him as dark and brooding, but he just comes off stupid, self-centered and...more
Stefani
onarock
Joe
May 01, 2009 Joe rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: no one
Steve Hamilton's latest book in the likable Alex McKnight series is a very weak entry. The falling-off in plot inventiveness is shocking, even for a twenty-first century crime novel. It's all been done before, so what matters is how well it's done, and making it feel as if it is new. Hamilton fails here, delivering a cliche plot with no wit, style or additional "oomph" to set it apart from a half dozen or more crime novels with the same plot device. The background is interesting, as usual, and H...more
Foster Winter
I always enjoy the settings of these stories - including this one, from Michigan's Upper Peninsula where I have spent a good deal of time, to my hometown of Detroit. Overall, however, I found the plot bit over the top -- I can only suspend belief so far. Nonetheless, when the mood strikes, I will probably rejoin Alex McKnight up in Paradise (Michigan).
Brian Clapper
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight; is a former minor league baseball player, a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in...more
Brenda
At first, this book didn't seem up to par with previous books. About half way through, I thought, "Wow. I didn't see that coming."
Monty
Another great read from Steve Hamilton!
Naomi
I can't believe I haven't written a review for this, but here goes: Steve Hamilton is in my top 3 of contemporary authors. He is an author who I stalk on his website to make sure I know when new books are coming out, his writing is that good. This book was no exception. A great mystery with alot of creepiness and twists with a main character you can kick back and have a beer with. I love the setting for the Alex McKnight mysteries and was happy that Steve recently got back to writing them.
Salinasbeth
The tragic knight is on his own in this wonderful, gut-wrenching treasure. I did not think Hamilton could do much better than Blood Is the Sky, but I was wrong. A Stolen Season has to be his masterpiece. While Alex is trying to solve one mystery, his lady-love is undercover with another. When the two merge, Alex's life drastically changes. This book will haunt the discerning reader for weeks on end. This is perhaps Hamilton's finest work.
Pam
A Stolen Season by Steve Hamilton
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2006, 390 pgs
TIME/PLACE: Present, Upper Peninsula (UP) Michigan
CHARACTERS: Alex McKnight/PI
COMMENTS: Latest in series...seemed lackluster for the 1st 1/4 of book. Altho' some major events happend eventually I still never got up my enthusiasm like I usually do for Hamilton's books. STILL...worth the read. A cold, cold summer, drugs & gun runners.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Filling in the earlier Alex McKnight thrillers by Steve Hamilton, this one picked up at the Central Point Public Library booksale in Southern Oregon.

As always, A Stolen Season is a reliably good read from Steve Hamilton. Alex and Vinnie are caught up in the bad deeds of some bad guys who don't know how good they have it.

Thnaks Steve Hamilton!

--Ashland Mystery

Craig Faustus  Buck
I'm a big fan of the Alex McKnight series. Though they do tend to get a little repetitive, they're not nearly as formulaic as, say Lee Child's Jack Reacher books, and this one especially packs an emotional wallop, though I won't say anything more about that for fear of being a spoiler. If you're a Steve Hamilton fan, you'll love this one. If you're not familiar with him, I recommend reading them in order.
Catherine Woodman
This is a good and easy read, with a lot of action, well-defined characters, some interesting geography, and a peek into Ojibwa culture of the Upper Michigan Peninsula. Ex-cop Alex McKnight manages to get himself involved in a situation that becomes bigger and bigger with each passing page, bringing him and his buddies Vinnie and Leon into closer and repeated contact with some pretty bad guys.
Kim
Another good read in the series, have the next waiting at the library.

Alex McKnight, gets sucked into yet another dangerous situation after rescuing 3 men from a boating accident, then finding out that earlier that evening they had an altercation with his best friend. As usual there is no limits when it comes to helping those he loves. But for pete's sakes, Alex, stop going into bars!
Roberta
This is my favorite series and I have looked forward to each one in the series. This time I anticipated some of the action. I recommend this series to everyone and I usually tell them that it isn't important to read them in order but this book is the first one that I would say that it would be better if they read the last book or two instead of jumping in here.
Pamela
The latest in another series I've come to depend on for an annual installment of good detective drama. I've grown way too attached to Alex McKnight, and I'd really like to hang out in front of the fireplace of his friend's bar with a Canadian Molson. One of the pleasures of these books is the glimpse it gives of the upper peninsula.
Grey853
Robin Jonathan Deutsch
I've read every Alex McNight book by Hamilton in order and this entry seemed slapped together in 30 minutes. It's not very strong and lacks so much depth and detail of other books. Fact is, The Lock Artist is Hamilton's best work by far. It was pure genius. The McNight series has run its course. Don't start with this one.
Gail
7th book in the Alex McKnight series. Lots of twists and turns and I never expected that great ending. Alex sure gets himself in and out of a lot of trouble. This book is a fast paced read. I kept reading to find out what would happen next. I had a hard time putting the book down. Now on to the next book in the series.
Sherrie
Such a great series, especially if you live in Michigan and know the area. Hamilton doesn't hesitate to drop bombshells on his main character, Alex McKnight, and there is another one in this novel. Another series that is best read in chronological order, but I highly recommend that you read it, one way or the other!
Dave
Annthelibrarian
Alex and his friends rescue the victims of a boating accident, but find that recipients of their help are a bunch of nasty fellows.
Another good outing for Hamilton in the Alex McKnight series (number 7), although I didn’t find it quite as compelling as some of the others.
judy
Hamilton's Alex McKnight books are all good solid mysteries. More important to me, they take place in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Paradise, MI, specifically). The geography,landscape and weather are always a huge part of the story. It's as good as being there but warmer.
Andrew
Mar 24, 2013 Andrew added it
Shelves: audio-book
It is impossible for me to review this book without spoilers. Signicant spoilers.

And the author played my emotions like a fiddle - some moments I want to give him a 5 star review for his success in doing that, and others I want to give him a 1 star rating - same reason.

• Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • Vanishing Point (Sharon McCone, #24)
  • Sorrow's Anthem (Lincoln Perry Series #2)
  • Redemption Street
  • Pegasus Descending (Dave Robicheaux, #15)
  • Isadore's Secret: Sin, Murder, and Confession in a Northern Michigan Town
  • The Betrayed
  • Breaking Point (Joe Pickett, #13)
  • The Fifth Floor
  • Rogue Island
  • Starvation Lake
  • The Blood Detective
  • Q Road
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
LET IT BURN, the next Alex McKnight novel, coming Summer 2013
More about Steve Hamilton...
The Lock Artist A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1) Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8) Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5) Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)