Start by marking “Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt, #14)” as Want to Read:
Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt, #14)

Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt #14)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  10,185 ratings  ·  169 reviews
Another compelling Dirk Pitt adventure from the bestselling author Clive Cussler.
Published September 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster (Trade Division) (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Flood Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flood Tide

Belinda
Aug 17, 2007 Belinda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction/adventure junkies
I keep reading Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt stories, even though they drive me up the wall. This one had ALL my Cussler pet peeves:

1.) Dirk Pitt as irresistible, life-altering stud-muffin. Example:

She was put through to his secretary, who informed her that Pitt was out on vacation and had not returned to work yet. Julia hung up the phone and settled her head into the pillows. In some odd manner she felt transformed. Here I am acting like a brazen hussy, she thought, pursuing a man I hardly know. Wh
Eric
Aug 08, 2013 Eric rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die hard fans of Dirk Pitt and/or Clive Cussler
Recommended to Eric by: Lynda Kaemerling
This is the second Dirk Pitt adventure I have read from Clive Cussler. The first, Raise The Titanic!, didn't impress me, but it intrigued me enough to pick up another offering from the author.

Well, after this, I doubt I'll pick up a third. Cussler's writing is downright bad, the plot of the story was so obvious I had it figured out hundreds of pages ahead of time, and the combination of invincibility, luck, wit, and charm of Dirk Pitt was laughable.

All in all it was just too much for me. The se
Roger
I've enjoyed several of Cussler's books, but this one left a bad taste in my mouth with his semi-racist depiction of the Chinese characters in the book.
Andy
The Chinese are coming! Illegally! The coincidences of these books are always maddening. A Chinese industrialist involved in trafficking immigrants to the US needs to be investigated just as Dirk Pitt stumbles upon one of his operations while on vacation. Despite all of that nonsense, Cussler's books are enjoyable mind candy. A little more stupid than Clancy in his prime and probably W.E.B. Griffin but they are fast paced stories that mean less time in front of the tv. Not a bad deal, I guess.
Patrick
Aug 18, 2010 Patrick rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Idiots
Wow! This is pure crap. I was amazed at how bad this was. It seems to be written by someone older and more manly than myself.

Approximate quote: "Dirk walked passed the room with the loud noise that the orientals called music."

Clive also implies that the Chinese were flooding America with immigrants as a way to stage an invasion from within. Of course, the heroine is Chinese and sexy.
Marc
This book has Chinese stereotypes that make Fu Manchu look like a Nobel laureate. Read if you need something brain dead or if you enjoy "cabin in the woods" stories and don't mind a protagonist that seems physically young but who has the cultural sensitivity of a patriotic, battle-hardened seventy-something fiction author.
Chris
This may be an odd correalation, but I've found that all of the longer Cussler novels are the best. For example, the last Cussler I read was Iceberg, and it was easily the worst of his novels. Now I've finished Flood Tide, a much longer novel, and it was much better.

Was it perfect, no. Personally the female lead in this one was pretty one dimensional. She calls herself a brazen hussy at one point, and she's pretty much right. The main villain was ok, and his dastardly plan was too. Like always
Cindy
This was adventure at it's best with this Dirk dude being almost comical in his ability to stay alive. We laughed a lot but it was interesting.
M
Wow, thought this was going to be a good, light action read. Instead it was a bad, repetitive read with a moderately good action story. Bummer.
Kate
Okay, I got bored and didn't read the last 100 pages. I think I've outgrown my liking for Dirk Pitt, sadly.
Nick
Sep 03, 2008 Nick rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nick by: Dad
Shelves: fiction
I think I've found my Kryptonite...
Neil
Some thots while reading:

So happy I discovered 'Terry and the Pirates' a few years ago! Julia's comment about her codename being the 'Dragon Lady' makes so much more sense!

I had forgotten that this novel takes place almost immediately after Shockwave and starts off with Dirk attempting to recuperate in the Oregon/Washington state area. Also like how this novel has more characters from NUMA involved in the plot [even if it ultimately requires Dirk to tie all the loose ends together into a cohere
Bryan
Pitt meets beautiful girl, fights bad guy, saves world. The end.: I've read all of the previous Clive Cussler novels, so I of course had to pick up "Flood Tide" as well. I got through the first 400 pages before having to stop out of boredom. I then realized that I've been reading Dirk Pitt novels lately out of a sense of obligation, even though the writing has gone down hill.

The problem with "Flood Tide" is that it's just too formulaic and follows the same path as every other Pitt novel. Pitt h
Brian
Qin Shang, a shipping magnate and wealthy Chinese smuggler, has made a fortune in human slavery. Pitt stumbles upon his Seattle compound where slaves have been disposed of in a lake. While investigating the compound Pitt rescues Julia Lee, an INS agent looking into Shang. Investigating Shang leads Pitt to Louisiana, where the Chinese slaves are constructing a shipping port in the middle of nowhere. Shang plans to divert the Mississippi, flooding New Orleans, to his new port, but Pitt stops the f ...more
Mallory
One of the first Pitt books I’ve felt ambivalent about. The illegal immigrants plot wasn’t compelling for me, there were too many other story threads going on in the background, and I found it hard to fathom that this adventure was taking place mere weeks after the events of “Shock Wave.” Dirk Pitt is many things, but he is not superhuman. Cussler also does too much explaining throughout; there’s a lot of informational chatter that doesn’t really add anything except pages. I know Pitt and Giordi ...more
Agustín Fest
Aug 18, 2011 Agustín Fest rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gente que le guste la aventura y los personajes simples.
Dirk Pitt pertenece a una serie de novelas de aventuras... Generalmente, este personaje empieza teniendo unas vacaciones y de repente sucede "algo". Entonces este ingeniero naval que descubre barcos hundidos, termina adoptando el papel de Jack Bauer o John McClane: Mata a medio mundo con tal de hacer justicia y al final, cómo no, se queda con la chica.

Todas las mujeres son hermosas, y tontas, y necesitadas de rescate, como suele suceder en estos libracos. En este caso, la mujer es una agente en
Christian Orr
Aug 27, 2013 Christian Orr rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lauren Chedzoy
Reading "Flood Tide" for the second time (first time was in 2001) was every bit as enjoyable as the first go-around. Moreover, while the references to the pre-DHS, pre-9/11 INS are a bit dated and anachronistic, speaking myself as someone who worked for two of INS's successor agencies, Customs & Border Protection (as a uniformed Officer at L.A./Long Beach Seaport, wherein Chinese stowaways, smuggled by the "snakeheads" of the Chinese triad crime syndicates, have been a repeat occurrence) and ...more
Holly
~May contain slight spoilers.~

In this fourteenth installment of Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series, Dirk is once again preventing disaster after disaster.

The ‘bad guy’ of this novel is a crazy billionaire named Qin Shang, who is suspected of using his shipping business of smuggling Chinese people into the United States and other states around the world and then using them for slave labor or worse.
He has a plan to make his business even more profitable, and if Pitt doesn’t stop him, his plan will
Ruthie
I've read a lot of Clive Cussler's books, and I'm a sucker for Dirk Pitt. I know that he's "larger than life" and all that, but I still love the character! All of Cussler's books are a bit convoluted at times, but this one perhaps more than others. It starts with a vignette that walks us through the sinking of an old ship, then snaps us to the present and we only get occasional mentions of the ship until the very end!

When we first find Dirk in this book he's on vacation, to recover from injurie
Unicornmattgic
Flood Tide by Clive Cussler
The book starts out by retelling the story of a boat called “The Princess Dou Wan” as it sailed through some rough seas towards Singapore in order to be scrapped. The story recounts how the only survivors of the wreck clambered into a raft and sat in it waiting for the boat to land. They raft does eventually land and the people inside climb out onto the shore. This is the last we hear from this side of the story for quite some time.
The story then transitions over to
Susan
Love, love, love Clive Cussler! Especially the Dirk Pitt novels, of which this is one. You even get a little bit of the Oregon crew thrown in (another of his series which is excellent). In this one, Dirk gets involved with an egomaniacal Chinese shipping magnate: Smuggling of Chinese immigrants into the US, attempts to make his port the greatest and discovery of lost treasures. It has it all, plus a bit of romance thrown in. Oh, and a certain novelist makes an appearance ;)
Ailish
A novel with page-turning sequences and lots of dull areas. I did enjoy Cussler's misuse of words and original descriptions. Apart from disliking the hero, I found the 'Yellow Peril' theme, presented as more than a premise for an action adventure, disturbing.

Cultural sensitivity: 'Through the doors of other rooms he could hear the strange, twangy sounds that Orientals call music.'

Yellow Peril: 'Time is on our side. Not only will we erode America from the outside, but with the help of your own co
 Marla
Paul
Very good locations and storyline. This book offers several good examples of Cussler's often intriguing locations.
There are several implausible situations, and Pitt miraculously goes from one heavy fight to the next without even resting. He barely receives a scratch, always surviving seemingly impossible odds.
Some female characters seem to worship Pitt, and other characters dislike his impudence and arrogance.
Patrick Gibson
Feb 04, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody, really
Shelves: testosterone
I’m all in favor of diverting the Mississippi and splitting the country into three sections. Hell, let’s face it, most of the south still feels the War of Succession is only in intermission and their third of the country is secretly still a separate nation.

So Dirk and Al (I’m telling you, there’s more to them than meets the eye) have set their sights on battling a Chinese Billionaire—hmmm, that might not be so far off these days.

The plot is warped into the Cussler Formula where the hero (Dirk)
Tim Corke
Stunning and Arguably the best Cussler novel to date. It seems slightly longer than the others and provides a glimpse into the other Cussler series, The Oregon Files.

Pitt's suave and charismatic style with his rebellious and belligerent nature combine well to bring NUMA right into the illegal smuggling fight when he comes across a mysterious complex that presents a grisly find.

Unbeknownst to him other elements of NUMA are having top level discussions about how to prevent a huge threat to US nati
Rick Soper
Clive Cussler has a formula. He starts with some history, then creates a present day dilemma, and spends the rest of the book running up and through the adventures that relate the two together. His books work in and around the formula, and you know it's there while your reading it, but the books are so much fun that you can't help but enjoy the ride. Dirk Pitt is the ultimate good guy, always in the right place at the right time, always able to save the damsel is distress, and always drops the o ...more
Nate
Do you like books filled with action and adventure all over it? Well, if you don't, please stop reading this review, because it was comepletly full of it. With great imagery, we follow a story of a man who always stumbles onto something huge and dangerous, but this one is about a mad man who gets money by taking illegal immagrants into the U.S border and its up to Dirk Pitt to stop it.
If i did have to choose any bad parts though, it would be how it might have gone a little slow in the beginning
Dina Begum
Dirk Pitt matches wits with a nefarious Chinese smuggler who specializes in secretly transporting illegal Chinese immigrants into countries around the world, as he tracks his quarry to a remote port in Louisiana and searches for a treasure ship that sankat the beginning of World War II.

It’s the usual Pitt-Giordino heroic act against the evil doer. However, it’s not my favourite story. To begin with, the story starts with too much coincidence. Secondly, even though Pitt was in a bad condition and
Teo Hoppe
I've long been a big fan of Clive Cussler's work, but this one just doesn't cut it as a good story. Most of the other Dirk Pitt adventures were fast-paced and full of surprises. This one was neither. I had to work to finish this book. It lacks brilliance, and I figured out what would happen after reading about halfway through. It's also got some elements that are, to say the least, slightly discriminatory against Asian peoples. What I do like about the book is that it seems Mr. Cussler has final ...more
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • SSN: A Strategy Guide to Submarine Warfare
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • Divide and Conquer (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #7)
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2)
  • Cold Harbour
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4) Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16)