Firegold

Firegold

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Jonathon, feared and hated by the brown-eyed Valley people because of his blue eyes, tries to find answers to his true identity in the Red Mountains, home of the Dalriada, a mountain people with magnificent horses, mystical powers, and blue eyes like his.
Published June 30th 2001 by Winslowhouse International (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Firegold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firegold

Margaret
An excellent YA fantasy, involving a young man's quest for his origins and the struggle between his two peoples (the Valley folk, and the magical Dalriada of the mountains). The pacing was a little off, I thought -- the beginning was a little slow and the end a little rushed -- but I really liked the vivid setting and characters and the emotional depth.
Bobin
I loved this book. I read it growing up about 5 or 6 times. Jonathon's struggle and journey echoed in my own tween life. Today I still recall random parts of the book at odd times.
Arminzerella
Jonathan is "looney-blue" - a rare blue-eyed child among the Valley people (an all brown-eyed race of people). Most of the villagers fear or despise him because the only people that DO have blue eyes are the Dalriada who live in the mountains - and they are said to be crazy and ruthless barbarians.

Jonathan learns the truth of his heritage, but it comes not without great personal cost. Eventually he goes to dwell among the Dalriada and claim his place as a bridge between the peoples of the valle...more
Rachel
This book was boring enough that I don't actually remember the main character's name. There was this thing about Dalriada, and how they all have blue eyes. There was this right of passage thing called Sol Faringen, and if they finished it they got this scar called the O'Bredann. And this girl who made arrows, couldn't talk, and died.
I did read the book, it was just so boring that I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. also, I would only have remembered the details if it was a school project or somethi...more
Fsp 5/6
Jonathan Is a average 13 year old boy living in the southern valley, except for the fact he has blue eyes. For blue eyes are the sign of Dalriada, the barbarians who have terrorized the valley folk for hundreds of years. Is Jonathan a barbarian? Are Jonathan's parents lying to him about his origins? His answer waits in the red mountains.
I find this book interesting because of how it is well-writen, emotional, and simply compelling. It speaks to you about the sheer confusion Jonathan feels, wi...more
Bethany
Firegold is about a young boy named Jonathon who discovers that he is not who he thought he was. He is one of a mysterious race of people, the Dalriada, who are thought to be ruthless barbarians. The novel traces his journey to discover himself, and to find out what is truth amidst the lies.

The imagery is beautiful here, but overall, it is nothing terribly special. I would much rather recommend Lloyd Alexander’s books. Having said this, I am still planning on reading the prequel to Firegold, Wh...more
C.
This was another good book by Dia Calhoun. The main character Jonathon is the only person in the Valley where he lives that doesn't have brown eyes. His eyes resemble the "loony blue" eyes of the mountain people called the Dalriada. Now he has to worry if he's going crazy much like the stories of the townspeople say he will. Will he stay with the town and everything he's ever known? Or, will he go to the mountains in search of these people with blue eyes?
Kirsten
A great YA fantasy that shows that even familiar fantasy tropes can be used to great effect in the hands of a good writer. Jonathan has always been treated as an outsider, with his unusual blue yes and a mother who is not from the Valley where he lives. Gradually he begins to realize that he is perhaps truly an outsider; he may be related to the Dalriada, strange mountain-dwelling barbarians who are said to possess blue eyes and strange powers.
Jenny
Jonathon is different from the other Valley Folk. He has blue eyes, and everyone believes that he is the cause of the terrible blight. His blue eyes and markings show him to be of the blood of the mountain barbarians, the Dalriada. After a mob tries to kill him, Jonathon runs away to the Red Mountains, hoping to find the answers to his heritage. He must undergo the ridgewalk , a coming of age ritual to find the answers about himself.
Grace
This amazing book is a must read for fantasy lovers!
Leslie
This is a young adult book about the Dalraida - a mythical people with magical powers.
There are horses, magic, coming of age, love, truth and family secrets all wrapped up in a sweet, lovely book. There is action also.
I recommend this book - it captures the imagination and makes the reader dream.
Sabrina Robinson
A coming of age story (seems to have been a trend lately) about a boy who is discovering why he is so different from all the other Valley people. His mom, a horse, apples, and the mountains all add up to so much more. A good book for biracial/biethnic issues.
Danielle
Somewhat predictable coming of age story, but still an enjoying read. It's easy to see what's coming, especially reading it as an adult. Still, it's an entertaining bit of story.
Jenylyng
I love books that come up with new, imaginitive characters. This is a fantasy-like book without the normal fantasy dragons and elves. A great book for young adults.
Lauren
It was a great book about a boy with blue eyes and there was a law that people with blue eyes are supposed to be left to die. Get this book!!!!
Kristen
I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone. The best type of books are the ones that touch your soul, and this one touched mine.
Katy
This is a very good book, if you like books about finding out who you really are and going on quests. I really liked it.
Meridyforgot
This book almost gets five stars. Very interesting characters and culture. I loved the character growth in this book.
Asenath
The beginning was slow-but still relevant. He should've spent more time in the mountains.
Artifice Magazine
I think I accidentally stole this book. It's good. Apples.
R.
I think I accidentally stole this book. It's good. Apples.
Hira
Ive been waiting for the prequel to this foreeeeveeer!
Kinsie Christiansen
this is the most amazing book i've ever read.
Megan
3 1/2 - a touching coming of age story.
Zoë
Amazing!!!!!!
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
  • I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade
  • Northlander (Tales of the Borderlands, #1)
  • The Wizard's Promise (Doomspell, #3)
  • The Boggart and the Monster (The Boggart, #2)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • Switchers (Switchers, #1)
  • The Baby Sister
  • Bending the Landscape: Fantasy
  • The Princess Tales, Volume II (Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, For Biddle's Sake, The Fairy's Return)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind: Perfect Collection Boxed Set
  • Here There Be Unicorns
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • The Road to Vengeance (The Strongbow Saga, #3)
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3)
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street
  • Dinotopia: First Flight
Aria of the Sea Avielle Of Rhia The Phoenix Dance White Midnight Eva of the Farm