Start by marking “Spiritual Lightening” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Lightening

Spiritual Lightening

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Book by Thomas, M. Catherine
Published November 1st 2002 by Bookcraft Pubs (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Lightening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Lightening

Gina
I just finished Chapter 6, Enduring Marriage. (interesting choice of words for chapter title - either we endure an unsatisfactory marriage - or we work to create an eternal, enduring marriage.)

Some things that stood out to me:

A great many divorces today do not arise from the gross unrighteousness of the partners; rather, they happen because one or the other fails to understand, or comes to reject, the nature and purpose of true marriage. What follows is to be understood in the context of two goo
Heidi
I read and saved an article she wrote in the Ensign from 1993 that had such a powerful effect on me that it literally changed the direction of my parenting. So I looked up anything else she'd written. This book is an expansion of that article and is as powerful now as it was for me then. I'll read and review this book often because of its depth and insight into personal relationships and how the Savior's grace changes everything. I highlighted so many passages, but this one seems to sum it up:

"I
Nicole
I read this book as a recommendation from my mom. Sometimes it's difficult for me to "get into" spiritual books, but this author had a way of expressing her ideas (taken from years as an LDS teacher) that really touched my spirit and made sense. It's deep and meaningful and has inspired me to be a better person. I will read it again in a few months.
Becky
This was one of the best books I have read (outside the scriptures)to give me new ideas for improving my life and spirituality. It is about making your life happier by changing yourself rather than those about you. It is spiritually Lightening. The author is a professor at BYU and very honest and open about how her life.
Recommended by 2 daughters. I am so glad I read it and underlined it. I will begin to reread it tonight.
Kasey
Oct 16, 2014 Kasey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
Loved it! Thomas has a really great way of integrating scripture with each point, which had a very powerful effect. She did a great job challenging the reader to improve without condemning him or her for where he/she currently is. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, especially those who are looking for some added help in turning their lives over to the Lord.
Leslie
A great book from my BYU professor. This book speaks clearly about dealing with difficulties in life without over simplifying or falling into the easy trap of cliche etc. Something I reference on occasion and always seems to have something worthwhile to offer. It was out of print for awhile so the fact that they started reprinting it speaks volumes.
Schjeldahl
One of the deepest, but best LDS books I have read. It changes the way you see yourself, your relationship with the Savior and those around you. I will be reading this over and over again.

Hard to find. Out of print at Deseret Book, but found it on Amazon.com.

Recommended by Wendy Townsend.
Katie
I really liked this book. It is hard to read more than 15 pages at a time because it is packed with enlightening concepts. I read this at a job when I worked at 4:30 a.m. That was rough...I don't recommend reading this if you are tired. Pretty interesting thoughts. (This is a church book).
Sandra Strange
This book communicates the author's spiritual journeys and the wisdom she has gleaned from them. She challenges us to sacrifice and submit, to gain strength and comfort from the spiritual. Good reading for thinking disciples.
Tebafin
This book was given to me by a dear friend because it really affected her life..... as it did mine! So many poignant thoughts that really helped me with certain situations I am currently going through! Loved it!
Jodi
Jun 23, 2008 Jodi rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
Other people have really enjoyed this book, but it took a lot of energy for me to actually pick it up and read it. It didn't interest me at all. I only finished it because I hate quitting a book in the middle.
Karyn
I loved this book. It was recommended highly by my Mom & I am so glad I read it. It gives some great insight & makes you really think about yourself & where you are spiritually.
Mark
This little book could be the most insightful and beautifully explained treatise on how the gospel works that I have ever read. It is marvelous!
Teresa
This personally inspiring book is the best I've read on how to apply hope, grace, and the power of the Holy Ghost to become a purified individual.
Trish
Feb 01, 2010 Trish added it
THE best spiritual book I've ever read next to the scriptures. Could possibly be considered the fifth standard work. Just a thought... :)
Jen
Life changing. I have read and re-read this book over the years. It has changed the way I think, feel, respond, interact, etc.
Rosa
I loved this book. I went and bought myself a personal copy so that I could read it again and make comments in the margins.
Rae
How to use the Spirit to "lighten" our souls in times of grief, adversity, emotional and difficulty. Wonderful counsel.
Elaine
Feb 20, 2008 Elaine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elaine by: TOFW
Loved this book. Gets into doctrines not frequently talked about. Helped me understand things better.
Ada Jacobsen
Apr 05, 2008 Ada Jacobsen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I would recommend it to anyone
Recommended to Ada by: a Ward Member
Shelves: lds-books
For someone who is searching for answers about the church a good book for missionaries or any one seeking.
Mccall
Wow. This book was amazing and incredibly inspiring. Basically my entire book is marked. Fantastic.
Heidi
Fantastic!! I'd recommend it to anyone! It's very interesting and gave me alot to think about.
Jeanine
This book was wonderful. I loved the insights I received from reading the book. Very uplifting.
Therese
Written by a BYU professor. It's a cross between spiritual and self-help. Loved it.
Sharon
This writer is exploratory and insightful. She had me riveted with her insights.
Kimberly Van De Graaff
One of my all time favorites! I will pick it up and read once a year.
Hillarystephenson
one of the more insightful mormon scholars, maybe because she's a woman?
Marva
Outstanding insight. One I want to reread many times
Elizabeth
Mar 19, 2010 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
My Mom highly recommends this! Enough said!
Roselyn
Thought-provoking, insightful essays.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Parenting - Love & Fear 1 3 Oct 10, 2009 02:21PM
Light in the Wilderness: Explorations in the Spiritual Life Selected Writings Voices of Hope: Latter-Day Saint Perspectives on Same Gender Attraction- An Anthology of Gospel Teachings and Personal Essays