Start by marking “Red Unicorn (Unicorn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Red Unicorn (Unicorn, #3)

Red Unicorn (Unicorn #3)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,453 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The enchanting, magical sequel to The Black Unicorn and The Gold Unicorn!

After several years traveling, Tanaquil — a sorceress like her mother with the ability to mend — returns home only to discover that her true love has been betrothed to her sister, Empress Lizra. Broken-hearted and jealous of her sister’s happiness, Tanaquil is lured by a red unicorn into a mirror worl
Published April 14th 2003 by Starscape (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Red Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Unicorn

Kaila
Very Tanith Lee, with lots of commas and question marks. It's almost too bad she decided to go with the unicorn motif for the sequels, because both the gold and red unicorn were disappointing. The eponymous red unicorn was only there for like a chapter and felt rather superfluous.

Still, a happy ending, and it made me rather happy. Also, the peeve is absolutely the best character.
Jacek
Oct 09, 2016 Jacek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good finale to the series, it wrapped up all the the loose ends as effectively as the first but more time was spent on it which made it feel much more meaningful. I enjoyed the second book on the series a bit more though as there were unresolved conflicts, more tension, and much more at stake. Which, as predicted, elevated the second book beyond the veru similar first and third.
N.T. Embe
Nov 08, 2015 N.T. Embe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers, lovers of this series.
Recommended to N.T. by: The first book, of course.
Shelves: fantasy, unicorns

I loved this book. It was exactly what my heart needed, and exactly the journey I wanted to go through.

To read my full review, click here.
Rain Misoa
Aug 03, 2016 Rain Misoa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Unicorn lovers and people who are okay with weak female characters.
Recommended to Rain by: N.T. Embe
Definitely the weakest out of the three.

To read my full review, click here.
Allen Garvin
Feb 19, 2008 Allen Garvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
Taniquil finds herself transported to a charming but absurd world. With an absurdly happy, but still nice, ending. Last in the series: I'll miss the peeve.
Kat
My favorite of the three books. Most likely, this is because Tanaquil finally gets her damn HEA ending. She goes through a lot of crap in this series before she gets there and she deserves it. In this book, she did not feel as conflicted and the situations she ends up in are not as horrible. It was amusing more than anything else really. To the character, everything going on in this book was just as big of a deal as the events of the previous books; but for me, the reader, it just felt like a fu ...more
Kate
Oct 21, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Leila Anani
Jan 21, 2013 Leila Anani rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, tanith-lee
Fantasy/Young Adult – Tanaquil returns home and her rage festers as both her mother and Peeve have found true love whilst she had to give up the man she loves to her sister. She gets knocked out as one of her mother’s spells goes awry and travels into an internal world where she meets her alter-ego and must work through the issues troubling her before she can return home on the red unicorn a symbol of her heart’s desire.

Themes:
• Witchcraft
• Family relationships
• Nature of “self”
• Sibling rivalr
Sandra Visser
Aug 14, 2016 Sandra Visser rated it liked it
Once again it's enjoyable to read about Tanaquil and her familiar, the peeve, but this time it feels as if the whole story is unnecessary. (view spoiler) It's as if Lee threw all the stray fantasy ideas she didn't know what to do with into one story. (view spoiler) ...more
Lara
Jan 03, 2015 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So yeah, I really liked this series. In this last book, Tanaquil ends up on a journey through a world in her own mind, which sounds super cheesy, but I feel like it worked, and I like the way it ends. There's definitely a love story here, but it's such a tiny part of the series, and the whole thing is really more about Tanaquil figuring out who she is and about her relationship with her mother than it is about the guy, which I totally approve of! Anyway, I'm glad that I finally tracked these boo ...more
Oscar
I did something I haven't done in a long time and read a book out of order with its series. I haven't read Black Unicorn or its sequel. This one was interesting, but slight. Although there was a helpful preface to get me right into the action, it certainly doesn't stand on its own and Tanaquil can be a bit of a chore as a protagonist. Would I read the other books, now that I know how the series ends? If my library had them, I would certainly consider it.
Rusty
Aug 15, 2011 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children-ya
A predictable but satisfying end to the series. In this, the final tale, Tanaquil travels to an inner world where she meets her twin. Here, all is upsidedown and somewhat frustrating but Tanaquil strives to help her twin, Tanakil, solve her problems which are much like those of Tanaquil herself. She finds she can do anything she wishes - walk through walls, become invisible, turn herself into someone else, etc. As the story progresses, Tanaquil finds that she can solve her own problems because t ...more
Cloud
Jun 15, 2011 Cloud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Part three that wraps up the Unicorn books following Tanaquil, this book is definitely an upswing from book two and really brings the whole trilogy to a conclusion. This feels much more in line with the Black Unicorn in terms of Tanaquil taking charge of her life and adventures instead of sitting by passively while things go on around her. Had some fun new characters and old ones show up, even a few plot turns I was very pleased with. A very enjoyable book and quick read.
Haley
Apr 20, 2010 Haley rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This was a satisfying ending of the trilogy (I am still avidly against the second book though). Another parallel world, another unicorn, another good tale of a strong heroin and a pretty adorable peeve. I can't tell if I'll read them again but I'm glad I did at least once.
Tori Stuckey
I really do love Tanaquil and Jaive, but I found this one a bit dull until the end. The ending, however, made up for it. I enjoyed the psychological aspects of it and how we view ourselves and the world around us. The mother-daughter relationship was especially interesting to me.
Mary-Beth
Jun 06, 2007 Mary-Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Tanaquil discovers a world of opposites where everything which is good on her world is evil. She even discovers her own cruel opposite and works hard to prevent her plots. The weakest of the three stories, unfortunately, but still interesting for the heroine herself.
Lisa James
May 12, 2014 Lisa James rated it it was ok
Sigh, I hate it when I read one & then realize the reason it makes no sense is because I started in the middle of the series....not bad, more YA fantasy, the first one is probably better, at least I hope so, but I haven't read it, & after this one, I'm not inclined to...
Emily
Apr 02, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Better than the first two, in that Tanaquil was more palatable a character. But I think that's in part because this adventure forced her to face her problems more directly than she had been, and really take stock of who she was and who she wanted to be. I definitely like the end to this series.
Amanda Surowitz
Feb 12, 2012 Amanda Surowitz rated it really liked it
The world Ms. Lee created in this book is amazing. It’s a fantastic journey with characters that still remain close to me. There’s just enough magic hidden in this world, I can sometimes believe it’s real. I’m in love with the lyrical writing Ms. Lee uses, as well as her wonderful sense of humor.
Nicole
Jul 21, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Red Unicorn is officially my I'm-sad-about-boys book.
Lauren
Nov 23, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
A satisfying conclusion all around.
Thomas Ponce
May 27, 2011 Thomas Ponce rated it it was amazing
Another great one in the series. This book continues the story of self discovery as well as the search for new adventures.
Kit★
Oct 31, 2011 Kit★ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, y-a
Found this at Goodwill, now just gotta get Gold Unicorn
Serena Wyndelin Ogawa
Oh, how lovely. What a splendid ending to the Unicorn series.

Tanaquil was really at her best in this one. The creatures and story were fascinating and the ending made my heart happy.
Mel
Jun 08, 2010 Mel rated it liked it
While I enjoyed the writing, I just can't relate with the main character Tanaquil. She annoys me the whole series.
Maddy
Apr 22, 2011 Maddy rated it did not like it
The third and final in the set (Black Unicorn and Gold Unicorn precede), also the strangest. Literally an inward journey to a jealous teenagers emotions, maybe I didn't warm to it due to my age.
April
Jul 23, 2014 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a cute story. very wonderlandesque. I didn't read the first 2 in this series, but I like how they give you a brief synopsis in the beginning to catch you up.
Milli
Jan 11, 2011 Milli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my least favorite of the three books - the plot just didn't draw me in as much as the other two. However, I love how the peeve has grown and evolved, and the book does have a happy ending!
Jan 22, 2016 Laura marked it as cataloged
Shelves: fantasy
fantasy
Loz
Jul 29, 2013 Loz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the peeve.
  • Dark Moon (Firebringer, #2)
  • A Glory of Unicorns
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • The Unicorn Quest
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Cygnet and the Firebird (Cygnet, #2)
  • Immortal Unicorn
  • The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)
  • The Loneliest Magician
  • White Jenna (Great Alta, #2)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Dragon Cauldron
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...

Unicorn (3 books)
  • Black Unicorn (Unicorn, #1)
  • Gold Unicorn (Unicorn, #2)

“Is any world quite sensible?” 0 likes