Start by marking “Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of Certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere, Esq. as Revealed by His Horse” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  816 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
An account of the life of the Revere family and the activities of the Sons of Liberty as told from the point of view of Paul Revere's horse.
Published October 3rd 1988 by Turtleback Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Revere and I, please sign up.

Qt
Jul 06, 2009 Qt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, animals
Fun, often humorous, and delightfully written book about Paul Revere's ride, illustrated with beautiful drawings! I don't know how much is fact and how much fiction, but it got me interested enough to try and find out.
Penny
Nov 08, 2012 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, history
This story definitely has a unique perspective. It's taken from the point of view of a horse that was formerly a member of the British Cavalry. The horse is a total loyalist at the beginning, but slowly learns what a life of freedom truly means. She's made aware of things about the British military that make her think perhaps things aren't as good as it seems, such as being lost from the military on a bet to the owner of the glue factory and having to pull cart duty until she's worn thin. She's ...more
Margaret
5/13/13 ** I didn't find much not to like. I think that the book does leave some space for discussions about who is NOT represented (women, non-white men), but the copyright is 1953! The vocab is sophisticated, but nothing that I don't see in high fantasy or other historical fiction. After reading the full book, I think that I definitely need to order multiple copies for read-aloud next year. This book would be a fabulous exemplar text for examining how a character changes throughout a novel.

Story Revolution
It all started with the imbecile, practically sacriligeous, determination of these stubborn Colonists to defy the sacred authority of our Royal and Sovereign Majesty King George III.- Scheherazade, on her early career as a horse in His Majesty's armed forcesLawson wrote at least four books in this vein: a famous figure in American history as seen by a close animal companion (ranging from a mouse acting as advisor to a ship's cat). This is the only one of the four in which the narrator would seem ...more
Gale
AMERICAN HISTORY--STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH!

I was surprised that this book read so quickly; it's the story of the horse that Paul Revere rode as the American Revolution was gathering momentum--culminating his famous Midnight Ride. Narrated in the first person by a purebred English horse named Scheherazade, this book recounts her philosophical coming-of-age; she gradually changes from a conceited military parade horse from the Mother Country, into a fast-thinking patriotic mare of the Colo
Elaine
This was a fun way to learn about the American Revolution! Given, it's fiction (obviously, it's narrated by a horse), but in the midst of the fiction, you really get a feel for the era. I did some fact checking after reading it, and many of the events were pretty accurate, but Paul Revere didn't actually own are horse at the time of the Revolution, so that whole part was fiction (I had known that he borrowed a horse for his famous midnight ride, but I had hoped that maybe he did own a horse by t ...more
Jenny
Jan 21, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story feels a bit antiquated. It is a historical fiction, so that seems a given, but it seems a dated historical fiction, if that makes sense. I did enjoy it. It is told from the point of view of the horse Paul Revere rode on his famous ride. What I like is that the book covers the background to a certain extent. It builds the story from farther back in time and shows the mounting tension between the occupying forces and the colonists. I think it had enough action to keep kids interested, t ...more
Autumn T
Apr 29, 2016 Autumn T rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about an entertaining journey of a horse named Sherry. In it we follow Sherry from being in fourteenth regiment of British soldiers, to being Paul Revere's famous steed. At the beginning of the book, Sherry is a complete Loyalist, but as she lives with Mr. Revere, she turns into a Patriot. This book qualifies as a must read.
ABC
Dec 12, 2012 ABC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
This is not nearly as charming as Lawson's other book "Ben and Me." I think the difference is that in "Ben and Me," Benjamin Franklin and the mouse were buddies who talked to each other, whereas in this book the horse never actually talks to Paul Revere. The horse just tells the story from a horse's point of view. Plus the other book was simply funnier and more interesting.

This book had a VERY high level of vocabulary. That is theoretically a good thing, except that a lot of the words were eithe
Jenny
While I found this interesting, I am unsure how many children would read it. It seemed to start off slowly, and the language was old fashioned. (There's nothing wrong with old fashioned language, but I think in this case it may be a deterrent to some readers.) Ultimately, I came to really like Sheherazade (Revere's horse) and it was an interesting perspective on the events leading up to the Revolutionary War. I listened to this on CD, and perhaps that contributed to my feeling that children may ...more
Amy
Jul 24, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Not sure why, but I always love a book told from an animal's perspective. Throw in historical fiction, and you've got me. This is a well written, interesting way for kids to learn about the revolutionary war.
Jo-Ann Murphy
Feb 02, 2014 Jo-Ann Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is a very engaging story and a pleasant way to learn a bit of history. The story of the horse draws you in as she relates the adventures of Paul Revere during the start of our country.
A Nelson
Oct 10, 2014 A Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: living-history
Revolutionary War era

Interesting story told from the viewpoint of a former British War Horse turned family horse of the Revere Family.
Lachelle Cooper
Nov 04, 2011 Lachelle Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical Fiction
Ages: 12 and up
Hardback

This classic tale written by Robert Lawson who not only was an author but also an illustrator of many books use a uniqure way of drawing readers in. This story is told by a horse who was once the fastest horse in the kings army. Headed stragiht to the glue factory, the horse was saved and giving a second chance. The horse using wisdom to tell events that it experienced and played a role in the American Reveloution. Though this book didn't win and award t
Jael
Sep 14, 2011 Jael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, america, history, 2009
This was a nice evening's read. I've always enjoyed Robert Lawson's quirkiness and sense of humour, both in his writing and illustrations. I can't say this is my favourite of his books that I've read, but it was a fresh way (for me, at least) to look at the Revolutionary War and understand a little better the emotions and attitudes and incidents that led up to the war and experience, after a fashion, the exhilaration of being free.

It's not an era I've done a lot of reading on. Anyone have any re
Shellys♥ Journal
This is the story of the events preceding the American Revolution told through the eyes of Sherry, a British born horse who will end up working with Paul Revere on his famous midnight ride.

The book is quite humorous at times, and since a horse is telling it, there are lots of other details about Boston, the British and the American colonists that make this story delightful. I am not sure the historical accuracy of some things, but overall just a fun book to cap off our Revolutionary War studies.
George
Jul 25, 2009 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fun perspective of Paul Revere's role in the American Revolution.
"straight from the horses mouth"...as the jacket says. The horse goes from a die-hard Loyalist to a Colonial after being co-opted for the other side of the cause. He's a little snooty, but comes around with some lovin' and a different vantage point. The illustrations are fantastic as well. Robert Lawson fans will not be disappointed!
Ptaylor
Nov 29, 2013 Ptaylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I first read it almost 50 years ago. I found it online and purchased it from the Friends of the Johnson County Library, and reread it. I still love it. Robert Lawson was wonderfully creative, and his writing and illustrations are delightful. I think I may be headed towards a second childhood, but I don't mind if I get to revisit characters like Sherry, Mr. Revere's horse.
Jen Mendeck
Feb 24, 2009 Jen Mendeck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carina got this book from her aunts. It will be several years before she's old enough to enjoy it, but I decided to give it a read. It was pretty good. It's the story of Paul Revere from the viewpoint of his horse. It isn't heavy on historical detail, but it gets the main points. I think it will be a good read for her when she's 6 or 7.
Sylvester
I like this idea of writing about historical figures or events from the perspective of a pet, it's a lot more interesting for kids. The story was fine, not spectacular - like the illustrations. I admit to reading this book for the artwork, and the artwork is what I am giving the 3 stars.
Kim T.
Feb 23, 2015 Kim T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My children and I listened to the audio of this book, and I dare say that it was quite entertaining. It provided us with several talking points. I loved how the names, places, and events came together with what they are learning in school.
Sara
Dec 09, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if all the facts were quite accurate (i.e. I believe Paul Revere was captured by the British in Watertown and never made it to Lexington and Concord), but I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the horse's view point was fun and fresh.
Hillary
May 05, 2013 Hillary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning I found this book very challenging and could not believe that fourth graders were assigned to read it. The book did improve and I ended up enjoying it. There were some parts of the book that were confusing and hard to follow.
Tracie
Jan 20, 2012 Tracie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, children-s
A wonderful read-aloud, full of exciting tales, wonderful language, and all from the perspective of Paul Revere's beloved horse, Scheheerazade (Sherry). Perfect for a read-aloud! The boys loved it--as did I!
Jessica
May 28, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
Scheherezade, Paul Revere's horse, tells her story from her fillyhood in England to her journey to the colonies and the part she played in the Revolutionary war. Delightful, with plenty of historical detail.
Katherine
Nov 08, 2011 Katherine rated it really liked it
My 9-year-old and I laughed and laughed through this book. But we also learned more about Paul Revere and the US Revolutionary War. A light-hearted look into tough times.
Josette
Loved this! Read it out loud to my children and I think Kenyon & I enjoyed it the most. I definitely want to read more books by this author. I really like his style!
Logan
Sep 17, 2011 Logan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
WHY: I read "Ben & Me" in 4th grade and liked it and I read "Rabbit Hill" aloud to Logan and we both liked it. So this seems like it might be a winner too.
Angela
Apr 28, 2013 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really boring. I was reading it aloud to my kids and they hated it. i finished it on my own, and it never got better. At least not for me.
Alexandra
Mar 11, 2008 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Similar to Ben and Me but from the perspective of Paul Revere's horse. Great story and great twist again. Light reading definitely worth picking up.
  • Skippack School
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
  • Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
  • Meet Thomas Jefferson
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • Meet George Washington
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Toliver's Secret
  • Pedro's Journal
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • Imprisoned in the Golden City
Born in New York City, Lawson spent his early life in Montclair, New Jersey. Following high school, he studied art for three years under illustrator Howard Giles (an advocate of dynamic symmetry as conceived by Jay Hambidge) at the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (now Parsons School of Design), marrying fellow artist and illustrator Marie Abrams in 1922. His career as an illustrator began ...more
More about Robert Lawson...