Start by marking “Loveless, Vol. 2: Thicker Than Blackwater” as Want to Read:
Loveless, Vol. 2: Thicker Than Blackwater

Loveless, Vol. 2: Thicker Than Blackwater (Loveless #2)

Eisner award-winning writer Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW) creates a Western for the new millennium. Reuniting with his HELLBLAZER collaborator, artist Marcelo Frusin, Azzarello fashions a tough-as-nails saga that combines all the bloody action and atmosphere of a Sergio Leone film with the provocative storytelling of HBO's Deadwood.

Wes Cutter is a

Published March 28th 2007 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Loveless, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loveless, Vol. 2

Brad
Like Deadwood, but comics... That’s how everyone describes Brian Azzarello and Marcelo Frusin’s Loveless, because both are foul-mouthed, grisly, and well-written.
The second volume starts off with flashbacks for Wes Cutter, his wife Ruth, and former slave Atticus Mann (all drawn by Daniel Zezelj). Then, things get back into gear with the story of a couple killed in their house, and a bounty hunter coming to Blackwater to kill Wes, now the sherrif in town.
The series has only been around for 12 is
Robert Beveridge
Brian Azzarello, Loveless: Thicker than Blackwater (Vertigo, 2007)

After the nastiness that plagued the first volume of Loveless, did you really expect things to get better? This is the world of Brian Azzarello, folks, and in this world, things do not end well. The carpetbaggers decided to kill two (or, in fact, many more) birds with one stone by appointing Wes Cutter the Sheriff of Blackwater; no one had any idea he'd actually take the job seriously, least of all Wes Cutter himself. But when a s
Sophie
Mar 14, 2011 Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I still didn't like this any better than the first volume. It's very bleak and depressing and there's no character that's even remotely sympathetic. I know people can be horrible, but this paints the kind of picture I don't want to look at. I think what bothers me is that there seems to be no hope at all - no hope and no point. I have the third volume here, so I'm going to read that as well, but I have to say I prefer Jonah Hex.

What I dislike most, I think, is the crudeness. Again, I've watched
Feather Mista
Mar 28, 2011 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: westernistas y antiwesternistas
Recommended to Feather by: El #1
Y acá se va todo al carajo, para bien. ¿Cómo seguir una serie hasta un tercer tomo cuando a fines del segundo no queda casi nadie vivo de los personajes recurrentes? Lea Loveless y tendrá la respuesta. Con el correr de los capítulos la serie gana en impredecible y en impresionante. Guion y dibujo se unen con armonía y sinergia y todos salen ganando. Particularmente interesante me pareció el recurso de usar "fantasmas" para los flashbacks. Creo que en el #1 ya lo usaban, pero es acá donde empieza ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 26, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it liked it
The first volume of Loveless "A Kin of Homecoming" left me eagerly waiting for more. The book offered top-grade storytelling and tackled heavy themes directly and fearlessly, offering a modern, analytical viewpoint into the years following the American Civil War.

"Thicker than Blackwater" follows organically from "A Kin of Homecoming," but Brian Azzarello doesn't quite manage to keep his storylines and characters in a cohesive formation. The volume feels fractured and unfocused compared with the
jlf
Apr 01, 2010 jlf rated it liked it
I think I have a problem with Brian Azzarello's writing. You can always tell that there's some kind of "big picture" thing going on with his series, but you can never really get at it by reading an issue or two at a time. If it lowers you in my eyes for me to tell you that I still don't know what he's trying to say with Loveless, so fucking be it. And, on top of his minimalist dialogue, there's always this vague-looking art to go along with it. I might check this out when the series ends, but I ...more
Victor Drax
Mar 11, 2014 Victor Drax rated it liked it
En este libro empiezan los problemas. La historia se mantiene interesante, pero el cambio de artista (de Frusin a Žeželj) es un duro golpe. El arte de Žeželj hace que a veces cueste identificar qué está pasando.
Y Azzarello, por alguna razón, deja cabos sueltos en la historia, líneas de trama que empiezan y no van a ningún lado. Otro defecto es que muchos personajes se parecen entre sí, entonces cuesta identificar quién es quién.

Es interesante, pero just by a little.
Trevor
Aug 09, 2007 Trevor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 100 Bullets or Preacher GN readers.
Shelves: comix
Wow...this is a pretty brutal book, but I imagine the Civil War was in many ways brutal off the battlefields as well as on. A man once thought dead, captured up north, returns to Blackwater and is made sheriff of the town. Blackwater attracts death, crime, sex, and plenty of hot lead exchanges. There are no "good guys" in this book.
Amy
Aug 04, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Beautiful art by Danijel Žeželj in this. I wish he could have done all of it.
I'm not entirely sure I understood what was going on during most of this, but I enjoyed reading it, and it left me wanting more.
Elh R'
May 03, 2014 Elh R' rated it liked it
I don't know what this vol. was about. I read it in a couple of hours but, I don't have a clue about what was this about ...

The art is ok, and the book itself is funny and have a good rhythm, but the story, I haven't a clue what this was about ...
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Jun 28, 2012 Gonzalo Oyanedel rated it liked it
Un traspaso e historias más íntimas que dan el contexto a la idea central. Buen puente al descenlace.
Neil
Jul 22, 2015 Neil rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Gave this series one more chance, and it's just more of the same. Occasionally a cool showdown type scene, but overall not worth it.
Matt
Jul 18, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
A good second volume. The flashbacks at the beginning are standouts, and the subtlety the characters gain is great.
pierlapo  quimby
Oct 26, 2012 pierlapo quimby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetti
Capita a volte che dialoghi troppo secchi, tagliati con l'accetta, e una sceneggiatura sincopata, con rapidi cambi di scena, non facciano una storia cruda e dinamica, ma una mezza storia.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 02, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
A kind of dull book until its shocking ending.
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2011
Badjeremie
Badjeremie rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2010
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Kirk
Kirk rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Richard Coxford
Richard Coxford rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2008
Mithun Gangopadhyay
Mithun Gangopadhyay rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2009
Joshua Strasburg
Joshua Strasburg rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Ashkin Ayub
I need to complete this series no matter what :s *arrgh*
Jeremy Midei
Jeremy Midei rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Ahimaaz R
Ahimaaz R rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2009
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Joseph Cadotte
Joseph Cadotte rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Tymen
Tymen rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jonah Hex, Vol. 1: Face Full of Violence
  • Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo
  • Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1
  • The Lone Ranger, Vol. 1: The Lone Ranger
  • La pourpre et l'or
  • DMZ, Vol. 5: The Hidden War
  • Criminal, Vol. 3: The Dead and the Dying (Criminal, #3)
  • True Faith
  • Paradise X, Vol. 2
  • Wasteland: The Apocalyptic Edition, Volume 1
  • Area 10
  • Complete Concrete
  • Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text
  • Haunt Of Horror: Edgar Allan Poe
  • Magdeburg. L'eretico
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...

Loveless (3 books)