Start by marking “Loveless, Vol. 1: A Kin of Homecoming” as Want to Read:
Loveless, Vol. 1: A Kin of Homecoming

Loveless, Vol. 1: A Kin of Homecoming (Loveless #1)

Eisner award-winning writer Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW) creates a Western for the new millennium. Reuniting with his HELLBLAZER collaborator, artist Marcelo Frusin, Azzarello fashions a tough-as-nails saga that combines all the bloody action and atmosphere of a Sergio Leone film with the provocative storytelling of HBO's Deadwood.

Wes Cutter is a

Published May 1st 2006 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Loveless, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loveless, Vol. 1

Jace
Feb 21, 2008 Jace rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This was new to the graphic novels section of my library, so I decided to pick it up. Mostly, I have a laundry list of complaints:

1. This book is a Western, set in Missouri, but most of the scenery juxtaposes the plains of Wyoming and the woods of the Deep South. Suggestion: before you start writing and drawing, decide on where you want the story to take place and do a little research.

2. A lot of supposedly important characters look way too damn much alike. All the Union soldiers are (understan
Mark Desrosiers
Mar 22, 2013 Mark Desrosiers rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Azzarello's penchant for droll wordplay in his trade titles (Counterfifth Detective, Strychnine Lives) didn't prepare me for this travesty, which is both unfunny and phonetically forced. The Deadwood-lite noir western within is, well it's worse than the title. Antiheroes with neat little Shakespeare beards, sculpted teen-fantasy women (who dupe an entire town into thinking they're a dude), gratuitous interracial rape fantasies, you name it. Granted, the writing's OK. But this ain't Deadwood by a ...more
Elh R'
Apr 17, 2014 Elh R' rated it liked it
I really want to give it 3 1/2 stars. I'm not giving 4 because this is only the beginning, and, the other reason is that there were some things that were a bit confused, you can't really make a difference between flashbacks an reality, and there are some points were I get lost, like, who is the girl with Wes ? Is she his wife ? But, he say that his wife get out, so ... I'm a bit lost over that point.

In the other hand, this vol. got me interested. I like westerns, and it seems like a good one.

The
Courtney
Jun 09, 2015 Courtney rated it it was ok
Great art, but just not the story for me. Wasn't prepared or receptive to the language and the sexual violence.
Paul
May 27, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it
Brian Azzarello brings his noir sensibilities to the frontier in this Western set in Reconstruction-era Missouri.

The war is over, and with residents seething under Union occupation, Confederate veteran Wes Cutter returns to town to take back his land from Union soldiers and to find his wife. Nobody in town particularly trusts Wes, but he somehow gets by on his wiles, manipulating both sides to gain a position of power.

Much like his opus 100 Bullets, Azzarello goes for the slow burn, setting a po
Feather Mista
Mar 28, 2011 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: westernistas y antiwesternistas
Recommended to Feather by: Que me gustó "El Diablo".
Con la intro que me hizo "El Diablo" y la posterior lectura de esta serie, me enteré de que me gusta el Western, género que pensé que nunca me iba a gustar demasiado más allá de la relativa excepción de Lucky Luke. Claro que la ambientación y la estética es más que nada una excusa para que Azarrello nos cuente lo que siempre nos quiere contar. Básicamente, que la gente es una mierda. En este comic no es que sea difícil clasificar entre buenos y malos, sino que son todos los personajes una porque ...more
Robert Beveridge
Brian Azzarello, Loveless: A Kin of Homecoming (Vertigo, 2006)

Despite my overwhelming affection for Preacher, I still feel kind of hinky towards the idea of western comics. I've never been a huge fan of the genre in general, though there have always been specific pieces of it that work for me, rather as there are in any genre. I should have known that, like anything else he turns his hand to, Brian Azzarello can make a western work like nobody's business. For one thing, it's not a Western so muc
Paul
Jun 30, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
It is not necessarily the best work I've read by Azzarello, but there is certainly room for the story to improve and develop. The characters are interesting, and it is an entertaining read certainly full of violent characters and the gritty, uncivilized realism that Azzarello uses so well. Additionally, there are some interesting techniques utilized where the characters experience flashbacks to the pre-war days as they revisit their old stomping grounds. My one complaint thus far is that the maj ...more
Richard
Oct 23, 2008 Richard rated it did not like it
It has been a while since I've regularly followed any titles but when I was still a monthly collector, 100 Bullets was a series I looked forward to with great anticipation. When I came across this at the local library I made the assumption that I would be in for the same kind of experience in a different genre and why not? Azzarello is a solid storyteller and the cover design suggests a kinship between Loveless and his earlier work. Internally, the inks and coloring are similar to 100 Bullets an ...more
Boots
Azzarello's writing style is sometimes effective, but maybe too cinematic for my tastes ~ and coupled with a variety of artists who are only successful by degrees in capturing what he's trying to do with the voiceovers and smash cuts, the result is sometimes jarring and sometimes downright confusing. Progress is further hindered by too many characters who look alike (honestly, doesn't anyone in Missouri cut their hair? I'm all for long-haired ragtags, but it's a little ridiculous). Likewise, the ...more
Sophie
Mar 13, 2011 Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I've watched Deadwood and I've read Jonah Hex, so when I picked this up I didn't expect a cheerful book. But this is so bleak and dreadful in the beginning, I almost put it down again. If the art hadn't been as good as it is, I probably would have. I didn't, though, and once I finished about half of it, I was intrigued enough to keep on reading.

Most of what happens in this book is the set up for what's to come - there's an awful lot of shooting and killing, with some sex sprinkled in between. S
Maikoll Marquez
Jun 03, 2016 Maikoll Marquez rated it it was amazing
It started very well the first issues but with the time, was knda boring and the end was weird and strange and lazy, but I think that everybody should read it.
Mark
Nov 09, 2008 Mark rated it liked it
Based on the first volume, this Vertigo series about an unwilling Confederate soldier's return to his home in the Reconstruction south requires some careful reading--the author Azzarello makes the reader work hard to pull together the narrative, using a lot of jumping around in time, pasages where there are two different timeframes in the same panel (with "ghosts" of the past or future), and Elmore
Leonard-like dialogue (little exposition). I enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing where it goes i
Victor Drax
Sep 01, 2014 Victor Drax rated it liked it
Loveless es una oportunidad desperdiciada. No sé qué pasó aquí.

Sigue la historia de Wes Cutter, que llega al pueblo de... Salvation, creo que es el nombre, a cobrar venganza por las cosas que le pueblo le hizo a él y a su esposa durante la Guerra Civil.

El libro tiene los fallos típicos de muchos autores de cómics: es innecesariamente sexual. La esposa de Wes es una mujer muy, muy sexual y a veces parece que las escenas con ella son fanservice, sólo para verla desnuda.

Dicho eso, es bueno este vol
kirkesque
Dec 31, 2009 kirkesque rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The deliberately oblique writing and with erratic use of accented dialogue drag this story down. The lack of clear visual distinctions between characters (as well as unclear use of names) creates a confusion that might make this seem more insightful than it really is. Another huge flaw in the illustrations is placing craggy, snow-peaked mountains (much like the Rockies) in the background, instead of the more geographically-correct Ozarks.

What Azzarello is attempting makes it worth slogging throu
Jesse Bullington
May 14, 2009 Jesse Bullington rated it liked it
Been meaning to try this out and it came on decent enough. Hard-boiled yet oaty, western in spirit yet southern in setting, and set at the dawn of reconstruction. Dark and nuanced, the research seems to be there and I'm all about the era and place--America's moral compass was stomped into powdered glass and twisted metal, and the characters here reflect that. Not sure yet if it'll capitalize as much as I hope on the potential there but so far so good, and I'll snap up the next volume to see if i ...more
Nomad nimrod
Apr 08, 2016 Nomad nimrod rated it it was ok
boring.
Ben
May 28, 2008 Ben rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm not sure why, but I didn't enjoy this very much. I'm not sure if it's that none of the characters seemed particularly endearing, so I didn't care about them. Or that, while the art was good, it was still hard to tell characters apart. Or that, while there's lots of interesting back story hinted at, but the main story just doesn't get moving quickly enough.

I guess the book isn't horrible, but it really wasn't for me.
Heine
Sep 11, 2013 Heine rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
While there were an interesting story, and I liked the potential of the way in which the creators of this book worked with flashbacks, I found it confusing at times. When it is sometimes hard to distinguish between characters due to the art, it does not help to have characters from multiple timelines appear in the same comic panel.

All in all a story with potential, which it just failed to meet.
Ashkin Ayub
Azzarello failed! :s

Art: 3/5
Story: 2/5
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 26, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
Brian Azzarello begins his moder western saga with an intense, realistic and nuanced volume. "Loveless" offers a group of interesting characters with lots of potential. If that potential gets utilized and the tone of the storytelling remains as vibrant, this might turn into a winning series.
Emily
Dec 31, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-gn-manga
Violent, horrible, and disjointed. I found the illustration to be substandard; very difficult to tell the characters apart which I think led to much confusion on my part. Or it could have just been the story; no clear indication in the story of why people were where they were, or did what they did.
Neil
Jul 17, 2016 Neil rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The art doesn't differentiate characters well, and the story jumps around a bit in time, so it's also unclear when it isn't jumping around in time, because the main character is apparently lying to others, and it's unclear why it even matters.
Sara
Aug 29, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
This was a super thrill ride of a spaghetti Western, riding through the bleak Western desert.
Matt
Jun 13, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
A decent start to the series, though it's a little light on plot and heavy on portent. But the characters are interesting enough, and Wes Cutter's standing in town is a particular situation of interest.
Frank
Feb 06, 2009 Frank rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nice, fairly standard Vertigo comics (which is a good thing)...sometimes the jumps in the timeline are a little hard to follow, but the story is engaging enough.

I'd like to read more.
Tim Chang
Dec 23, 2012 Tim Chang rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
dark, gritty work -- feels like Azzarello was just starting to hit his stride with the series when Loveless got cancelled at issue #24 / trade paperbook Vol 3. :(
Andy
Jan 28, 2008 Andy rated it liked it
I've heard a lot about this series and was excited to see what it was all about, but was not blown away. I won't go out of my way to get the rest of the trades.
BMK
Apr 02, 2012 BMK rated it it was ok
Meh, was OK. The art was a little confusing, the colour not really giving much of a hint of what was current and what was a flashback etc.
  • Jonah Hex, Vol. 3: Origins
  • Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1
  • The Lone Ranger
  • The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Secrets
  • Murena, Tome 1 : La pourpre et l'or (Murena #1.1)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Power Down (Ex Machina, #6)
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...

Loveless (3 books)