Start by marking “Fanny's Dream” as Want to Read:
Fanny's Dream

Caralyn Buehner

Fanny's Dream

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  2,064 ratings  ·  221 reviews
Fanny is a hard working farm girl, who dreams of marrying a handsome prince. But when Heber proposes, Fanny decides to give up her dream. She and Heber are happy, raising children and laughing by the firelight. Then one night, Fanny's fairy godmother shows up. Fanny's Dream is about shedding girlhood fantasies and working to fill real life with love and laughter. Full colo ...more
Published by Turtleback Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fanny's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fanny's Dream

Echo
Forget kids, this picture book is for every married woman who has just once wondered what would have happened if... A great, practical story where they fairy godmother coming too late ends up being a blessing, not a curse. This will forever reside in a place of honor on my bookshelf, & thank you mom for giving it to me. (Notice it's illustrated by my kids favorite illustrator, Mark Beuhner.)
Rachel
Ok, it's a kid's book. Still it is a great read.

Fanny a sturdy country girl just knows that her fairy godmother will come and she will marry a prince "or at least the mayor's son." So when the mayor throws a ball, Fanny waits in the garden for her fairy godmother. Instead of her godmother, along comes Heber. Heber proposes. "Even with all that moonlight it took Fanny an hour to give up her dreams. She shook Heber awake. 'I don't do windows.' 'Okay,' said Heber." Thus begins their life together.
Kristen
An adorable and profound take on the Cinderella support which teaches that real life is sometimes better an fairy tales. This book is a treasure and I look forward to buying it for my personal library.
Tara
This book takes a fairytale and adds a practical twist. It shows that true love can happen even if you don't marry a prince, even if you have to work hard, even if life doesn't turn out the way you expect it to. Although I love a great fairytale, I still think it's important to teach that relationships require hard work, compromise, disappointment, and frustration. But through these hard experiences, relationships develop and love grows. It's cute and it's fun and I love the message. In the clas ...more
Kristine
I personally loved this book, not just for the cute illustrations, but for what the book teaches. Yes, being a princess at a ball sounds all nice and good for a night, but would you really want to deal with that for the next 50 years? I'd loathe to talk about which spoon to use, how to properly take care of a royal guest, or all those other annoying responsibilities. Let's not even get into the corsets and the whole not breathing thing.But Fanny, she sees that, once Heber points it out to her. S ...more
Melissa
Dec 16, 2008 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I absolutley loved this book! I just cried for half an hour with my two older children wanting to know what was wrong. This is the sweetest "children's" book I have ever read. Having waited a little longer than most girls to get married, I can attest to belated blessings. My husband is the most perfect husband I could have ever asked for and he treats me like a princess every single day. What a wonderful story with a beautiful message!
Laurel
Everyone should read this book to their children. It is a different telling of the Cinderella story, but instead of being beautiful, Fanny is normal. It makes you step back and look at what happily ever after really means, and it is wonderful. I am so sad that it took me until my sophomore year of college to ever hear about it and read it. Get it now!
Jeannie
I was spending time with one of our Institute of Religion missionaries tonight and she took out this book and read it to me (she used to be an elementary school teacher...) It is absolutely delightful! I would recommend this to everyone. It is a children's book, but the message is perfect for those who are looking for Prince Charming.
Tiffany
This book (a twist on Cinderella) is an all-time favorite. For every girl out there who lives in reality but still wants a bit of romance. It makes me cry every time I read it.
Thank heavens for every Heber out there that makes his sweetheart feel like a princess.
Caroline
Fanny's Dream is a fairy tale book about Fanny waiting for her fairy godmother to grant her a wish to marry a prince. This book teachers good morales: it's okay to dream big and be thankful for the little things in life; these life lessons are always great to discuss in class. I recommend this book as a read aloud for primary aged students because of the amount of text per page. This book is filled with a multitude of rich verbs, such as hooted and sniffled. Vocabulary found in this text provide ...more
Chad
Great book, great message.
Eva Leger
I'll always laugh when I see this cover or hear this title from now on. Julia picked it up (I had checked it out at the library without her seeing it - she picks some, I pick some) and she looked at it, turned it to one side and then the other, looked at it full-on for awhile longer, then asked me why the boy was turning into a princess. So I looked at it and I honestly couldn't answer that. Once we cracked it open we found that "Fanny" is supposed to be a female. A very homely (to put it nicely ...more
Melanie
If life isn't quite what you'd dreamed it would be when you were a child (especially if you are a stay-at-home mom), this book is for you! Fanny Agnes always dreamed she would marry a prince. But when Heber Jensen comes along the night of the ball while Fanny is waiting (and waiting) for her Fairy Godmother to appear, and asks Fanny to be his wife, she decides to give up on her fantasy and marry him. Many happy years (and 3 kids) later, Fanny's Fairy Godmother finally appears one night when Fann ...more
Krista Toomey
Caralyn Buehner is a genius. Some of us girls don't need a prince or are married. I love how Fanny gave up her childhood dream because she had something way better and that was family. This is the kind of fairy tales little girls should read. I like how we can find our own happily ever after without a crown and dress. I hope every girl gets the chance to read this book because the message behind this book is inspiring.
Bailey
I love this story. This book is about Fanny who is waiting for her fairy godmother to come and grant her wish, but when her fairy godmother doesn't come, she decides to head down a different path. This book teaches that while things don't always turn out like we want, sometimes they turn out even better. It also teaches about hard work and determination. The illustrations are very beautifully done.
Miss Amanda
I opened this story to a big surprise. It really wasn't what I was expecting. It starts out like a rewritten Cinderella story and turns into something else. I would really recommend reading this story. Though I do need to let you know that it is a bit anti-fairy tale. If I say anything more it will give it away.
Kay
I love this children's book. On the surface, it's another version of the classic Cinderella story- a story children can enjoy. But underneath, it is a "how to" manual for happy marriage. Nearly every page presents a tip for successful marriage, ie: humor, accepting each other for who we are, when tragedy comes- just start over, spend time together each day, treat each other like royalty, etc. I used this little story in a lesson I taught on marriage a few years ago, and we recently discussed it ...more
Ashlee Moser
I really enjoyed this book for not only it's unique twist on the well-known story of Cinderella but for it's great message. A lot of times people's views are based on fairy tales they read in the book. What they fail to remember is that they don't always turn out like the book.Great book for kids and adults!
Sabrina
The cover of the book is misleading, but that's the beauty of the story. Fanny is a girl that has a dream: to marry a prince and never do any work again. Fanny stays strong and keeps her dream until she gets a marriage proposal from a local boy who owns land.

She thinks that she is giving up her dream, but at the end of the book Fanny and the reader realize that reality is so much better than a fairy tale. While her reality is more work than her 'dream,' Fanny has a husband that treats her like a
Ciara Bean
I love this book! I don't think it's great for just children but every one, especially in those times where we find ourselves wondering what could have happened if... This story teaches a great lesson in not only being grateful for what you have but making what you have everything you need!
Julianna
This is one of my favorite picture books of all time, because of the moral that it teaches. While many of the stories out there thrive on adventure and elegant dreams coming true, this story teaches that its okay to be ordinary and you don't have to marry a prince to have your happily ever after. The illustrations are also very nice and the story is just great!
Emily
Sep 07, 2007 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 3 and up and their parents
I love this twist on a fairy tale and how the author shows that sometimes what we think we want isn't really what we desire. Fanny so badly wants to go to the dance and have her fairy godmother save her from her dull life, just like in the stories. When Heber shows up and proposes marriage instead, she realizes all the things she can do and that her fairy godmother probably won't come and agrees to Heber's offer. Time goes on - she has three kids, lives on a farm, and works hard. One evening her ...more
Christine Smith
I like how the ending when the fairy godmother finally comes and Fanny has the chance to achieve her dream, but she realizes that her dreams have already come true. She has a family that loves her and a husband who treats her as if she were a princess.
Ruby
I picked this up at the library and then ordered it for my own library! A great way to teach true love amid all this "princess" craze. A great reminder to myself that the work of mother and wife is valuable above riches.
Mauri
Loved this wonderful take on Cinderella. So refreshing to read a children's book that eschews all the fairytale dreams and finds beauty and happiness in the ordinary.
Ashlee Draper Galyean
Why marry a prince when you can live on a farm and be much, much happier? And hello, fairy godmother, were you encouraging an affair?? Outrageous.
Lisa Rathbun
I have mixed feelings about this book. Part of me likes the message of not sitting around waiting for a fairy godmother to make your dreams of luxury come true. Instead you should see the reality around you - the love and faithfulness of real people in your life - and make a good life based on hard work and mutual consideration. Another part of me feels bad that the main character is stocky and tough - almost as if the plain Jane girls shouldn't expect to be a princess so just settle for what yo ...more
Kim
A twist on the tale of Cinderella. You'll feel warm and fuzzy inside when you read this one. It made me want to kiss my husband. :)
Ryan
This was a poignant book which dispels one's fear of "settling" and replaces it with a clearer perspective of what's most important.
Jazzmin
This may be a children's book, but it had themes of marriage and life dreams and, if you will, even destiny... where you're meant to be. I loved it because it is such a quaint and sweet story. It follows a farm-girl named Fanny who dreams of marrying a prince. I think my favorite part about the book was the theme that runs through and is completely realized in the end.
This was a simple, but fun little book and I loved the message of it. It showed how what you think you want for your life may not
  • The Empty Pot
  • Cinder Edna
  • Heckedy Peg
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • Falling For Rapunzel
  • Pingo
  • Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Daughter of a King
  • Piggie Pie!
  • Christmas Oranges
  • You Are Mine
Snowmen at Night Snowmen at Christmas Snowmen All Year Dex: The Heart of a Hero Snowmen at Work