Start by marking “Animalia” as Want to Read:
Animalia

Animalia

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,750 Ratings  ·  468 Reviews
An alphabet book with fantastic and detailed pictures, bearing such labels as "Lazy lions lounging in the local library."
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published September 19th 1986 by Penguin Books Australia (first published 1986)

mark monday
Feb 11, 2016 mark monday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alpha-team, kidworld
I love this book so much! I practically lived in it when I was kid.
 Carol ♔ Type, Oh Queen! ♔
I found a copy for a friend's grandchild. This reminded me to have a look at my own copy & I have just had a lot of pleasure, not only looking at the beautiful pictures, but appreciating Base's rich use of language. I blush to say I didn't find all the little Graemes. A beautiful body of work that took Base three years to complete.

It can't be a spoiler to show one (ok two!) pictures.

photo 5cd7b49b-b100-435b-8625-a5aee8cacec4.jpg

Just gorgeous.

I used to own The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base as well. While I didn't enjoy that book quite as much I'm sad that it appears t
Lisa Vegan
Dec 30, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who ever thought alphabet books were boring, most 4-8 year old children
This is an amazing book. The illustrations are truly stunning. On the inside back cover it’s mentioned that it took the author over 3 years to create the illustrations for this book and I was not at all surprised. It can take a very long time to read this 32 page book, not because the text takes that long to read, but the illustrations are so profuse that it can take ages to find everything on each page. This can be read by children to themselves but it’s much more fun to read it with one anothe ...more
Manybooks
Although I did quite enjoy Animalia, the intricate and involved illustrations seem incredibly busy and much too in-one's-face for them to ever be personal favourites (I tend to like simplicity and unclutteredness). And really, the sheer amount of objects playing hide and seek is rather daunting to say the least, especially since one is not even sure exactly how many hidden images there are in each section, in each picture (which is why I would have liked to have seen a list of hidden objects inc ...more
Kathryn
Dec 29, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A splendid ABC book! What I love is that the phrases for each letter are very involved, lots of great words here, no "dumbing-down" for kiddies. Also, while I at first thought there was just a random collection of "misc. images" in the pictures (the animals are the main focus) I soon realized that Base was adding lots of OTHER images with the given letter. For example: Unicorns for "U" is the main focus, but then if you look carefully you can also see umbrellas and Union Jacks in the picture. Ne ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
One of my favourite books from years ago, I finally picked up a copy for myself the other day. This beautifully - and cleverly - illustrated children's book is just as much fun when you're an adult. Each page or double-page spread conjures a letter of the alphabet with rhyming alliteration and illustrations full of things starting with that letter. We used to have races to find and list as many words as we could from the pictures, and we had a jigsaw puzzle of the Crimson Cats page. Endless fun ...more
Jessica
My ardor for this amazing book really cooled once I noticed the swastika. Am I too sensitive? Is it weird that I more or less accepted the kangaroo kidnapping a lady koala with a kalashnikov, but I draw the line at Nazi symbols...? In any case, this book is incredible and my toddler loves it, but I never could quite enjoy it the same way again and there are a lot of other children's books out there that don't have hidden swastikas and who knows what else in them.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 23, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
An absolutely gorgeous alphabet book, with my favorite ever L page "Lazy Lions Lounging in the Local Library". See how many items you can find that start with the featured letter. C'mon, it's fun!
Henry Martin
Mar 03, 2014 Henry Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A great ABC book with fascinating illustrations. I just spent almost an hour looking at the base of every picture, trying to find all the other 'hidden' images that start with the same letter as the main theme.

This is a great book to read along with inquisitive children, as their curious eyes hardly miss anything.
Connie
Nov 22, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's two ways to do an alphabet book. The first is to have each letter firmly illustrated by one - and only one! - item. The second, which is the approach taken in this book, is to have as many items as possible crammed onto each page.

The result is an alphabet book that grows with your kid, because even a grown-up can spend a lot of time quietly poring over the pages of the book to catch one last detail, find one more F word, locate the boy in the striped shirt on every page.

There are a few p
Hannah Owens
Sep 02, 2015 Hannah Owens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must have checked this out from the library a hundred times.
Kaethe
I'm a bad parent to have held out the Graeme Base books from the Offspring (but they're signed, and they have little Base doodles, and they're mine). The PandaBat is now enthralled. We hunted down little Graemes for an hour.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love this book! Sometimes I get out my copy and look for the objects in each book just for the fun of it. Being a librarian, my favorite picture, of course, is the library lions!
Rosemary Sullivan
"Animalia" is a fun, colorful safari ride through the alphabet. The book is bursting with illustrations of animals, from peacocks to lions and animal legends, such as unicorns and dragons. The writing is joyful and silly.

The road map for the journey features each letter of the alphabet, from A to Z with zany alliteration. For instance, "G," reads "Great Green Gorillas Growing Grapes In A Gorgeous Glass Greenhouse." Sure enough, there are shamrock green gorillas.

But there are also several other
Rebekah
This is an amazing book which takes a look at the alphabet, from A to Z. The illustrations are rich, complex, busy, intriguing, and expertly articulated. The longer you look at each page, the more you will see! The title which announces each letter uses alliteration to the max! This book is not just for kids who are learning their letters. Adults would enjoy this book as well. This is a classic and a keeper to stay on the shelf for generations to enjoy.
Karen
Jul 14, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those children's books that I bought long before I had a child. Pretty much as soon as I spied it in the library I knew I had to have it. It's a great book that works on so many levels. For one thing, it's gorgeous. It is hard not to admire the splendid illustrations, and it's even harder to put the book down. Then there is the wonderful, witty alliteration (yeah, I did that on purpose). But it is so clever and unexpected. This is not your standard alphabet book.

This book is a gr
Dolly
Nov 06, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Lush alliteration and gorgeously detailed pictures are just a few of the reasons why we really like this alphabet book by Graeme Base. The numerous inclusion of items that begin with each featured letter scattered throughout each page makes the entire book a treasure hunt. And I even liked the way he handled the letter 'X' - it can be such a troublesome letter and there was nary a xylophone in sight. I love it!

This book was selected as one of the books for the October 2013 - Alphabet books discu
Magila
Oct 20, 2012 Magila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand the less than average ratings for this book. This book is not an "A is for Apple" book, it has more depth than that. Sure, a world like ventriloquist is not as easy as a word like "van," but that's the point of teaching kids. By the time they are learning to read and write, they are far more advanced verbally than their little eyes are able to read. So parents and teachers don't treat them like babies, but start to teach, and stretch their little minds and understanding. Huge ...more
Jaksen
Feb 01, 2016 Jaksen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I own it. It was a gift to my (then) 20-year old daughter, who wanted it. She loved it. Not so much the two grandsons whose attention drifted when I tried to sit down and go over it with them. They wanted more of a story.

However, for those who love a beautiful book, this is one for them.
Liesl
An amazing, unique take on your standard alphabet book. Base has clearly put a lot of time and effort into creating each of the illustrations, and the intricate detail on display is phenomenal. One could spend hours studying every page to discover all of the images hidden inside! The X page is a bit of a cheat since none of the words included start with the letter X, but I give Base a pass since he goes above and beyond with V, of all letters. This is a very fun book that I will definitely enjoy ...more
Sally
Amazing illustrations... every child worth his or her salt in primary school owned a copy of this and The Eleventh Hour! (And a box of Derwents too, for that matter.) The most fun the first time you reach the end as well:

A final word before we go;
There's one more thing you ought to know:
In Animalia, you see,
It's possible you might find me.

Whereupon you have to scour through each page all over again to find Graeme! It's like Where's Wally only BETTER.

ETA 20/10/2012: I also now own a miniature pap
Lynne
Nov 03, 2015 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most fabulous alphabet book ever! I wish it had been written when I was a child, but I've enjoyed it tremendously as an adult. Every time I read it again, I find more pictures to identify with whatever letter I'm reading. It is way more interesting and imaginative an introduction to the alphabet than any other ABC book I've ever read. For example, the F page, “Four Fat Frogs Fishing for Frightened Fish”, also has a flamingo,, fan, fungus, forest, fuschia, ferns, and other interesting ...more
Ashlee Draper Galyean
Just as perfect as when I was a kid.
Laia
Nov 03, 2015 Laia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intricately detailed and imaginative pages that will leave kids (and adults) pouring over the pictures for hours, trying to identify all the objects that start with the letter that illustration is about. Some of the items are easy, some are tricky & are like a rewarding little puzzle to solve. The author has hidden images of "himself" in the pages, like a Find Waldo adventure.

The D page is our favorite, as there is both a Dragon, and a Dalek (from Doctor Who) tucked into the picture.

There is
Cheryl
Aug 06, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous illustrations

I bought this book for my 2 1/2 year old twin grandchildren. I think this will be a book that they can enjoy for many years. The illustrations with the pictures of the different animals and the alliterative verses are perfect for each of the letters. Then there are hidden pictures that start with each of the letters that the children can find and identify.

The pictures that are hidden will appeal to many different ages so this is really a book that is for many different ages
Samantha Friedman
I noticed that the book was copyrighted in 1987. I feel like the illustrations and use of color don't seem that old. I thought it was very cool on the title page there is a poem saying look for the picture of the author throughout the book. The text and illustrations enhance each other greatly. For example the crimson cats are colored red and the green gorillas were green. Some of the pages were full bleed illustrations where others had different boarders like circles and some of a white boarder ...more
Josselyn Hernandez
At first glance, I thought this book was going to be about animals and their habitats but I was completely wrong. Something that stood out to me right away was the author's note right in the middle of the title page. I wonder why he chose to do that? This book is best experienced if you look and appreciate all the detail that went into each illustration. We go in alphabetical order as we flip through the pages, and each page has different text. The text, colors, illustrations all work together t ...more
Reily Riemersma
Animalia is a stunning serious of images that will intrigue readers from the first page all the way to the last. This is an alphabetical story in which the author Graeme Base connects letters of the alphabet to things in the real world such as animals. This is a very interesting story in my opinion.
Throughout the book the author has created images with some of the most incredible detail I have ever seen. The scales on the alligator for the letter A literally pop out at you. There are only a sel
Emily Scott
Apr 16, 2014 Emily Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember having this book in my collection of children's book when I was a little girl. I used to love looking at all of the pictures and found the book fascinating. The book has amazing pictures and on each page has a boy who is hidden within the pictures. Each page has words beginning with one of the letters in the alphabet and that is basically the "theme" for that page. While reading through this book children will learn letter sounds and also names or animals and describing words that go ...more
Jenny
Oct 05, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book feels to me like a book that you could/should hours with...there is just so much detail and so many layers. Even though I have read it with my children 3 or 4 times, I still know there is more to see and find. The illustrations are gorgeous, and the alliterative lines are wonderful to read aloud. I need to find/make more time to explore this book more.
Where is the boy 3 40 Nov 13, 2014 06:46PM
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • Quick as a Cricket
  • Trouble with Trolls
  • Wombat Stew
  • Sector 7
Graeme Rowland Base is a successful Australian author and artist of picture books that have been sold internationally. He is perhaps best known for his second book, Animalia published in 1986, and third book The Eleventh Hour which was released in 1989.
He was born in England but moved to Australia with his family at the age of eight and has lived there ever since. He attended Box Hill High School
More about Graeme Base...