Start by marking “Mysteria (Mysteria, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mysteria (Mysteria, #1)

Mysteria (Mysteria #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  2,654 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Hundreds of years ago, in the mountains of Colorado (just close enough to Denver for great shoe shopping), the small town of Mysteria was “accidentally” founded by a random act of demonic kindness. Over time, it has become a veritable magnet for the supernatural—a place where magic has quietly coexisted with the mundane world.It’s a town like any other town, where the high ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Published July 5th 2006 by Berkley Sensation (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mysteria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mysteria

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerDark Lover by J.R. WardVampire Academy by Richelle MeadCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Host by Stephenie Meyer
Best Paranormal & Fantasy Romances
487th out of 3,460 books — 7,113 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardLover Unbound by J.R. WardLover Revealed by J.R. Ward
Paranormal reads
333rd out of 857 books — 589 voters

More lists with this book...

L8blmr
I've already determined where my "TOO MUCH" boundary is for erotica; I believe I know where it is for paranormals now. This anthology featured MaryJanice Davidson, Susan Grant, Gena Showalter and P.C. Cast. I felt the stories of the latter two probably deserved a rating of 4 stars, while the first two would probably only get two stars from me. Hence my three-star rating.

The town of Mysteria is filled with paranormals of all kinds ... and then some. There were so many different ... breeds? ... sp
Shelia
A bit of light, romantic paranormal reading in the form of related short stories in & about a small Colorado town founded by a demon and populated by paranormal & human outcasts more than a century ago.

Apparently, the founding of Mysteria was an act of empathy on the demon's part, and the story of his punishment for that, and similar acts of kindness, is told in this collection. But can a "disgraced" demon be punished the same way as when he willingly committed evil acts? Can the unswerv
Janet
Feb 11, 2014 Janet added it
Shelves: 2014
Mysteria Anthology (2006) – Mortal in Mysteria (Susan Grant), Alone Wolf (Mary Janice Davidson), The Witches of Mysteria and the Dead Who Love Them (Gena Showalter), Candy Cox and the Big Bad (Were)Wolf (P.C. Cast)

As with all Anthologies some you like all the stories and some are all over the place. Despite what I am going to rate them I actually did kind of like all of them to some degree. But that said they were all over the place for me. I know for sure I have read GS and MJD and like them. I
Lori Whitwam
A collection of romance short stories centered around the paranormal haven of Mysteria. All four stories were good, though P.C. Cast's was my favorite (totally liked her character, Justin.). And when you have recurring pre-teen triplet characters named Withering, Scornful, and Derisive... how could that not be great?

Note to self: Want to write sex scenes like P.C. Cast. Just hot/erotic enough, very explicit, but not remotely offensive or vulgar.
Becky
Mar 29, 2009 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranomal Romance Lovers
Out of 4 stories, I loved 3 & that's not bad odds. The big name on the book (MaryJanice Davidson) wrote the story I least cared about or found interessting. It was bad, just not interesting...to me. The last 2 stories by Showalter & Cast were my favorites. Not for people who don't like 3rd persons stories....some are in 3 person, but not all. :)
nicole
After the first short story, I just could not read anymore. While I usually hate not finishing a book, there was just nothing to redeem it.
BookNerdette
Debbie
This is a collection of 4 stories, by 4 paranormal romance writers, all about 1 town in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Mysteria was originally established by a group of settlers that were slightly different from the normal. This is a place were the slightly different actually fit in. All creatures are welcomed, the Demon High Lord that has been banished from hell for committing random acts of kindness, the vampires who have found ways to not crave the taste of blood, the witches, the werewolves a ...more
Jenny Delandro
short stories...
sometimes it is pure bliss to able to read a complete story in one afternoon...
4 stories
Mortal in Mysteria by Susan Grant
A demon is banished from Hell for doing good ...and helps hamony Faithful te pastor of Mysteria and together they build a parish, something to be proud of

A Lone Wolf by Mary Janice Davidson
Werewolf baby has family killed and is raised by humans... last step mom did understamd whay he was and tries to help ... He finds love and pack in Mysteria

The witches of Mys
Nawnee
This is an unusual complication of short stories by some of the best paranormal romance authors around. What makes this so.unique and def one to pick up is the short stories are all based in the town of mysteria, so the authors have characters and themes that overlap. This was such a great read an its written so well that withouth the story breaks for whentheauthors change I don't think I would have noticed the writing and stories just flowed so well. I bought this cause I love Gena Showalter an ...more
Michelle O'flynn
A really good anthology! I loved the first story "Mortal in Mysteria" by Susan Grant - what is it about a naked helpless man that gets us all goosey and excited? Damon (similar to demon) is returned to the town that was formed because of an act of benevolence that has cause him to fal out of favour with the Lord of Darkness. In fact Damon likes feeling good all over. Just ask the new minister trying to get a congregation to come to church.

In MJD's short story "Alone Wolf" Cole (were) meets sexy
Kerry
I picked up this anthology for the Susan Grant story after reading "Your Planet or Mine?" then checking her website and finding an excerpt.

All four stories are fun - silly, even a bit ridiculous, but fun.

Mysteria is a small town that is home to magic and all its creatures - vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches and pretty much anything else you can imagine. Life there is weird and crazy and that makes for four fun, short romantic stories.

Take your pick from the naked demon in the flowerbed, th
The Flooze
An anthology with each author tackling a different kooky resident in the magical town of Mysteria. I never expect too much from anthologies, so the light-hearted fluff made for pleasant reading. It's fun to see how different authors approach the same setting.

Mortal in Mysteria by Susan Grant

Apparently it's the season for beautiful naked men to rain down on Mysteria. A pastor's plea for a "sign" is answered when a former demon appears in her yard and helps her fulfill her calling. (I'd really li
Jill
awww...this was one of my first experiences with paranormal romance. What a fun anthology with a really unique approach. Each author writes a short story about a resident ,or two, of the little town of Mysteria. Definitely a great way to dive into the large & entertaining pool of paranormal romance. I've gone on to read & enjoy MJD's "Undead" & PCC "Goddess" & "house of night" series.
Tam B.
This book only got 2 stars as I was going by the "it was ok" rating. And that's how I felt about it - it was ok.

I was familiar with three of the four authors in the anthology and was very surprised that I didn't love their entries more. In fact with some I was a little disappointed. Of the eight stories in the two anthologies I think I can say about three were really entertaining and enjoyable. The others were interesting but didn't keep me turning pages. I read them but I wasn't desperately wa
Library-KAT
Over done...extremely sensational, but rather well written. Number 1 was cute, number 2 was entertaining...number 3 was too much non-reality (like waaaay too good to be true...heavy on whining) and number 4 was too much of an ending too soon.
Alison S
Interesting anthology, but at the same time it wasn't an anthology as I am used to, as the some of the same characters crossed over from author to author.

In the past I have enjoyed reading books by MaryJanice Davidson and P.C. Cast but not to my knowledge the other two. These stories go a bit steamy and were almost a little too lovey dovey happily ever after for me, but it was enjoyable. I enjoyed all the different species living together in this strange mountain town with it's pink pollen.
Wendy
I really enjoyed this book. The idea -- a town created as a haven for supernatural beings by a demon who suddenly wants to do good, is a wonderful idea. All of the stories take place in Mysteria and are intermingled enough to keep them interesting. The first story tells the tale of Damon, the demon who created Mysteria and then was punished by Satan by being turned into a mortal man and being banished to Mysteria. All of the stories are romances with just a little bit of paranormal thrown in. M ...more
Cathy (cathepsut)
"Mortal in Mysteria" by Susan Grant was unexpected. I haven't come across a lot of High Demon Lords. But the story developed quite nicely and had a good sense of humour.
I think MaryJanice Davidson is the most successful author out of the group. But her werewolf story did nothing for me. There was just no spark. It felt pretty pointless and I have already forgotten the ending....
"The Witches of Mysteria" by Showalter were cute. Although if that guy told me that he would teach me to obey him, I
K
Jun 20, 2010 K rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the authors or paranormal romance
Recommended to K by: found on author's website
Mysteria includes four short stories written by four different paranormal authors- Mary Janice Davidson, Susan Grant, Gena Showalter, and P.C. Cast. As I have become a fan of Cast and Showalter, not to mention paranormal romance, I was drawn to this book. And was pleased to find that it was not only enjoyable, but a fun, light read! If asked, I would say my favorite story is a tie between Showalter's and Cast's stories w/ Davidson's story coming in third, and Susan Grant's fourth. I guess the be ...more
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
Oct 19, 2014 Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Morgan
Like another reviewer said, I couldn't continue with any of the other short stories after the very first one.

I would probably give the first story ('Mortal in Mysteria' by Susan Grant) 2 stars.

The weird thing is that it was MaryJanice Davidson's short story that made me decide that this was getting taken to the used bookstore. I usually really like her stories. They are at least enjoyable, but this one was a pain to go from paragraph to paragraph. :(

I bought this for Gena Showalter, but I can n
Nicole
I didn't really realize this was 4 seperate short stories. Once I finished the first story I started to wonder what happened with the other characters. The story ended but didn't really conclude. It was a little too sexual for my tastes. I didn't finish the entire book. There is nothing worse than reading a story that really doesn't finish. Even if they were to finish, they weren't even that good. I only read the first 2 stories. I think if each author had written their own book it may have went ...more
Kaniac
So bone to pick...... I read this after I read Bewitched Bothered & Bevampyred. My understanding was it was a continuation..... which I guess it was it went into more detail with some of the stories but.......... The name of the town was changed!? I mean granted Mysteria is a much better name but damn, I just convinced myself I knew how to pronounce Brokenoggin (which doesn't sound that hard but trust me I had a few different ways of saying it) and then Brokenoggin was gone and Mysteria was ...more
Cynthiaj
A group of four short stories all centered around one town in Colorado it was a quick read and mostly fun. I liked the stories by Davidson and Showalter who were known to me while Grant and Cast were completely new. Cool.
Mojca
Hmmm. I must say I expected more from this anthology. Much more and it was mostly due to the funny and funky introduction to the stories.

Unfortunately the whole didn't deliver. There were a few funny moments - especially in the first novella (monkey-shovel-baseball scene comes to mind), but unfortunately they were rather scarce and failed to compensate for the rest.

It was still a pleasant little collection, but not something I'd want to reread. Another Biblio.com candidate.
Midu Hadi
I liked all the stories except Davidson's. The story was shorter than the others, disjointed and rather senseless. There was no development to the story at all. I know it's a short story, but I don't even care about the characters nor do I want to care.

Contrast that with Showalter's story. Not only was there character development (just a little, not much) there was a secondary character romance as well.

Overall 1 star for Davidson's story, 4 stars to the rest.
Anita
Wow - I really liked this collection of short stories! Usually I like one or two stories in a collection, but not all. This one was much more carefully coordinated among the authors. The book is comprised of 4 stories in the town on Mysteria, Colorado, a modern town inhabited by all sorts of supernatural creatures. For the most part, the authors worked within the same framework for their stories, so they work together very well.
Genevieve
Had a nice premise - shared world paranormal romance - but each of the stories had flaws, and there was no story that I really enjoyed that much. Susan Grant had a good premise but boring leads, MaryJanice Davidson had a good hero but no chemistry, Gem Showalter very little plot. PC Cast's story with the three witch sisters had the most potential, but right around when it looked like it was going somewhere, it was over.
Gena Showalter Fans: This topic has been closed to new comments. Mysteria (Mysteria #1) 2 29 Feb 04, 2013 01:52AM
  • Mysteria Nights (Mysteria)
  • Bewitched, Bothered & Bevampyred 2: Fangs Again
  • Bewitched, Bothered & BeVampyred
  • Kick Ass (Warlord, #2)
  • On the Hunt (Includes: Sentinel Wars #3.4, Nightkeepers #5.5, Gods of Midnight, #4.5)
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Just One Sip (Dark Ones, #4.5)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Cravings (Undead, #1.5; Moon, #3.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance
  • Out of the Light, Into the Shadows (Includes: Vegas Vampires, #6 & #7)
  • Hot Blooded (Dark, #14; Midnight Upyr, #2.5; Mageverse, #.5)
  • Unleashed
  • Moon Fever (Includes: Primes, #6.5)
  • The Bodyguard (Includes: T-FLAC, #14.5)
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...

Mysteria (2 books)
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2) Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4) Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)

“Hi," the werewolf said. He was dark-haired and broad, with gold eyes, big hands, and a feral scruffiness that Cole felt and instantly responded to. He had the weird urge to kill a cow and present it to the stranger. Two cows.” 1 likes
“I really did have my reasons. I don't blame you for being mmpphhh-phargle."
She mmpphh-phargled because he tugged her into his embrace and buried his nose in her hair.”
1 likes