Start by marking “Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns” as Want to Read:
Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns

Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From renowned First Nations storyteller Richard Van Camp comes a lyrical lullaby for newborns. Complemented with stunning photographs, this evocative board book is perfectly suited as a first book for every baby.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published October 1st 2007 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Welcome Song for Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome Song for Baby

Marie
Nov 25, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
Review: Welcome Song for Baby

VanCamp, R. (2007). Welcome Song for Baby; A lullaby for newborns. Victoria, B.C., Canada:
Orca Book Publishers.

Why the book was chosen
The book Welcome Song for Baby is beautiful on the outside. The book features a picture
of a newborn baby with his/her mother. The mother's moment is tender. She presses her lips
ever so tenderly on her babies forehead; her baby silently accepts this gift with eyes slightly open.
This book is for young children and babies, although it i
Qwo-Li
Mar 16, 2008 Qwo-Li rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, dogrib
This is the sweetest baby book I've ever seen. The photos are adorable, and the text by Richard Van Camp is so beautiful that it makes me cry. Here's an example:

Dear one
Cherished one
Loved one
You have made the world beautiful again

This book is being given to every newborn baby in British Columbia in 2008, as part of the Books for BC Babies initiative. How cool is that?

Canadian Children's Book Centre
Kisses Kisses Baby-O! Sing a Song of Mother Goose

In the Spring 2007 issue of Canadian Children’s Book News, I put out a call to publishers for “more board books please!” Now, one year later, I am delighted that publishers have responded with an amazing new crop of high quality Canadian board books for babies. Orca Book Publishers have produced a stunning new board book written by renowned First Nations storyteller Richard Van Camp. Welcome Song for Baby is a lullaby that welcomes a child into th
Andrea
Feb 26, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has created a human being
Recommended to Andrea by: this book was a baby shower gift
This is such a beautiful, sing-song book to read to babies and toddlers. It is a reminder of how babies keep the world turning, and how we are all responsible for creating/maintaining a beautiful world for them to emerge into and grow.
Caseythecanadianlesbrarian
Oh my god, this amazing and beautiful. I think little kids would love all the pictures of (ethnically diverse) babies and the message is so sweet and tear-jerky. I don't even have kids and it made me want to cry (in a good way).
Maureen
Oct 23, 2014 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Best new baby book ever! I'm sending one to the newest newborn in my life before the week is out. I'll be doing this a lot.
Sarah Ragan
Jan 28, 2014 Sarah Ragan rated it liked it
Shelves: 00-in-class
Adorable pictures and story! I loved this book and it would be a good book to show babies other babies and what they look like. There are different nationalities and sexes too.
Amanda Wilson
Sep 04, 2013 Amanda Wilson rated it it was amazing
this book is just shy of perfect for me. one page would be amazing, and then there was a sentence that seemed out of place to me and kind of ruined the vibe. but overall it was a good book! i loved the pictures
H
Mar 05, 2015 H rated it it was amazing
I read this to my baby almost every night, sometimes through tears due to the touching text.
Allison
Nov 06, 2012 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: toddler-books
I am rating this book based on the pictures! The text is mediocre, but the pictures are beautiful.
Senna Compton
Thank you, Richard Van Camp, for the beautiful welcome!
Susan
Jun 12, 2009 Susan added it
lovely photos.
Jessica Hyde
Jessica Hyde rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
todd faria
todd faria marked it as to-read
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jenna Roemer
Jenna Roemer rated it liked it
WRONG
WRONG rated it liked it
William Palma
William Palma rated it really liked it
SNB
SNB rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Rachel Rosen
Rachel Rosen rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
  • Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
  • Not Vanishing
  • Stanley's Party
  • "Let's Get a Pup!" Said Kate
A Dogrib (Tlicho) Dene from Fort Smith, NWT, Richard Van Camp is an internationally renowned storyteller and best-selling author. He is the author of the novel, The Lesser Blessed, a collection of short stories, Angel Wing Splash Pattern, and two children’s books with Cree artist, George Littlechild. His new baby book: Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns is the official selection of the ...more
More about Richard Van Camp...