Start by marking “The New Sins” as Want to Read:
The New Sins

The New Sins

David Byrne has written a book that updates and alters the Bible's cardinal sins for a more contemporary audience. Byrne wanted the book to be the size and shape of a portable Bible, and thus The New Sins resembles the sort of book a strange person in a robe would try to give you in an airport. Bizarre and profound, the book includes 80 color photographs taken by the autho ...more
Published August 28th 2006 by McSweeney's (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The New Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Sins

Andrew Bourne
Sep 01, 2008 Andrew Bourne rated it liked it
Oh, Mr. Byrne! Aren't we clever? But how much mayonnaise can we really put on a single sandwich? Mayonnaise is indeed delicious, but too much of even the most robust stuff can become saccharine. And pairing off with Dave Eggers; my tooth explodes!

Nathan
Sep 10, 2007 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: This is not my beautiful wife!
Shelves: humor, reference
Like a David Lynch movie in book form. Seriously. It makes no sense, but it's super-crazy-awesome.

NC
Ryan
Dec 30, 2009 Ryan rated it did not like it
There was probably a time when I would have found this book entertaining, even enjoyable. Perhaps when I bought it in 2001 upon its publication by McSweeney's, when I was very into what they were up to. Or perhaps even sooner, while in college and a massive fan of the Washington, D.C. post-punk outfit Nation of Ulysses and their brand of leftist agitprop. Perhaps, but I doubt it. Even then I likely would have found this sort of self-referential (and self-reverential) exercise overwrought and ted ...more
Daniel Hoffman
Feb 07, 2013 Daniel Hoffman rated it really liked it
David Byrne has such a feel for aesthetics! This book captures the handout-bible feel exactly, and the use of both Spanish and English makes the text feel even more impersonal and wide reaching. The book is so over-the-top and droning to the point that even the most invested reader or Byrne fan will put it down out of exhaustion. Maybe that's what Bryne is actually trying to say: stop relying on self-help books (and blind religion) to answer your problems. As important, if not more so, is the co ...more
Christiane
Oct 13, 2009 Christiane rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Odd, interesting to browse through. In English and Spanish; the pictures are different but I think the text is the same in both languages. Some of the language is lovely and overwrought: "The Heart is like the Sea, wherein dwells the Leviathan, and creeping things innumerable. The Heart is like the Egyptian temples---full of spiders, serpents and snakes. It is a treasure house of sin. A gilded palace in a lake of fire." This passage is opposite a picture of pink rabbit Peeps. Fun in small doses.
DRM
Jun 07, 2009 DRM rated it liked it
My lovely girlfriend gave this to me for Christmas last year as I'm a big Talking Heads fan. The content is pretty interesting reinterpretations of traditionally accepted values and favors the acceptance and entropy instead of the imposing of order and relentless self improvement. But what really did it for me is how the book itself is designed just like a Gideon's Bible that could be found anywhere. I'm tempted to leave it at a bus stop to spread Byrne's "alterna gospel" but I like the layout, ...more
Damian
Aug 28, 2007 Damian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone too comfortable in their opinions
Shelves: reads
At times highlarious, at times disagreeable, at times mischievous, but always challenging and interesting. A resetting of biblical imperatives for modern times, a sideswipe to all that we hold as true (that's a good, thing, incidentally). And it's helped my Spanish!

Read it in an airport, and hope that religious types come and talk to you, that's what i say.

Best line - we don't want the truth, we want a better fiction.
Ray Ambrosini
Jul 08, 2014 Ray Ambrosini rated it liked it
This tome belongs tucked away in hotels near the dead ends of the world. Where salesmen go to die, reaching for a prayer after indulging in too much drink and painful heartburn from the BBQ joint by the side. A look into the absurdity of looking for answers, occasionally dropping genuinely good advice wrapped in uncomfortably televangelist prose. Not words to love, live or die by but a powerful statement of an artist's view compressed into a velvety red book.
Emer Vaughn
Jul 03, 2007 Emer Vaughn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: sinners, saints, etc.
It's funny and "innocently" unnerving, like most McSweeney's stuff; I'm glad I came across a copy of this.

Did you know honesty is a sin? I like this: "Our loved ones demand honesty, but what they really want is better fiction."
Luke
May 24, 2013 Luke rated it really liked it
David Byrne updates and alters the Bible's cardinal sins. Bizarre and profound, the book looks like a portable Bible (beautiful) and points at what he sees as wrong with the way we think & behave in our world.
scott noble
Jan 06, 2008 scott noble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
come on... a book on religion by david byrne? are you kidding? anyone who has doubts about religion, or just has alternate beliefs should take 30 minutes to read this one...
Katey
Sep 07, 2010 Katey rated it really liked it
I'll enjoy committing the new sins almost as much as the old ones.
John
Apr 24, 2008 John rated it liked it
Recommended to John by: a girl in school...
an art piece - provocative, thought, anxiety and laugh producing...for the underdeveloped reading may induce a sense of self-righteousness and help feed negative stereotypes about your parents.
Dawn
Oct 21, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: David Byrne fans
Shelves: humor
Very odd little book, but it's by David Byrne, so why WOULDN'T it be odd? I liked the photos better than the text.
Justin
Nov 30, 2007 Justin rated it it was ok
A dissapointing 'reinterpretation' of the goods and evils of the world. I wanted so much to dig it--especially since it's written by one of the greatest musical minds of our time.
Notsid
Nov 21, 2013 Notsid rated it liked it
not the best place to start with his writing. Just a list of "new sins" and his half serious explanations of said sins. It's an attractive book though.
Jacky
Jul 11, 2007 Jacky rated it liked it
Everything you learned as a kid = wrong.
Byrne presents a slightly twisted look at human habit today and leaves you feeling like a bandage was cruelly torn off by a snickering older sister.
Natalie
Sep 10, 2007 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the kind of thing you read cover to cover but definitely a book you can pack in your handbag and refer to while waiting in line and feel entranced by the genius that is David Byrne.
Matthew
Mar 09, 2008 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-recommend
David Byrne of Talking Heads fame discusses why the old biblical virtues are no more. His wit can be matched by few.
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2007
anoop
anoop rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Stephen Knezovich
Stephen Knezovich rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2008
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2008
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2007
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Carlie Staples
Carlie Staples rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Gerry Mcguire
Gerry Mcguire rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • McSweeney's #25
  • The Future Dictionary of America
  • Stories Rabbits Tell: A Natural and Cultural History of a Misunderstood Creature
  • Adam's Navel: A Natural and Cultural History of the Human Form
  • Bowl of Cherries
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula: The Film and the Legend
  • Evil Geniuses in a Nutshell
  • Lemon
David Byrne is a musician and artist most associated with his role as a founding member and principal songwriter of the American new wave band Talking Heads, which was active between 1975 and 1991. Since then, Byrne has released his own solo recordings and worked with various media including film, photography, opera, and non-fiction. He has received Grammy, Oscar, and Golden Globe awards and been ...more
More about David Byrne...

“The more you know, the more you know you don't know and the more you know that you don't know.” 25 likes