Start by marking “The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen” as Want to Read:
The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen

The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Learn how to season cast iron, clean cast iron, and cook 90 tantalizing recipes in your cast iron skillet. This cookbook aims to show modern cooks how this inexpensive cast iron tool is the best pan in their kitchen. Fusing new and traditional recipes and gathering farm-fresh produce and ingredients, the authors show cooks how to make delicious food in this versatile skill ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Sasquatch Books (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook

Stephen
Aug 04, 2011 Stephen rated it really liked it
Too many cast iron skillets are lost in the back of a cupboard or in that drawer under the oven in most stoves. Many have been handed down from someone who knew how to use it to someone who does not. Sharon Kramis & Julie Kramis Hearne (a mother and daughter) speak for three generations in one family which relishes cast-iron cookery. Sharon Kramis has worked as a food consultant to Anthony's Restaurants in the Pacific Northwest for a quarter century. Julie Kramis Hearne is CIA trained and co ...more
Stephanie
Nov 09, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This is a fun cookbook. If you are looking for breakfast, an appetizer, a main dish, an entree or dessert, it has a recipe for you to cook right up in your cast iron skillet. The recipes are not complicated with for the most part ingredients you would most likely already have on hand and the directions easy to follow.

There is no new flavor, new idea or new recipe to me in this book but it remains a nice collection of dishes that have stood the test of time and a few I would have not thought to
Jeannie K
Mar 05, 2014 Jeannie K rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Good hints and recipes. The content didn't show well on my tablet, though.
Sara Wall
Jan 12, 2010 Sara Wall rated it it was amazing
OK - so they really like butter, but so do I! Everything I've tried in this book has turned out. I've tried the meatloaf, banana bread, Irish bread, french toast, and ginger carrots. The ginger carrots were my least favorite, but that could have been me. They were firmer than I usually like. The french toast was evil and oh-so delicious.
Tamara
I was hoping for a lot more recipes for campfire cooking. Most of the recipes were for the oven, which I use very sparingly. But this gave a great explanation for how to season your cast iron skillet, and also describes why mine turned sticky.

I will probably try the "Dutch baby" and baked apple recipes.
Stephanie
Nov 08, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I love my cast iron pan- couldn't live without it. This book definitely gives you a ton of new ideas for using your favourite pan.

My recommended recipe: pecan sticky buns. They have become a family favourite! You will not believe how delicious they are.
Cailean
Aug 12, 2013 Cailean rated it really liked it
Proud to say I know the author personally! This is a wonderful book. We finally got a cast iron skillet and have just started learning how to cook with it. This book is an awesome resource for how to cook with it and what to cook with it!
Liz De Coster
Mar 30, 2012 Liz De Coster rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, kindle
Read on the Kindle reading app on my iPad, though it didn't matter much as there weren't many images. A solid cookbook highlighting the versatile ways cast iron skillets can be used.
Bridget
May 12, 2008 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this cookbook and use it all of the time. Cast iron seems to make everything taste better. I suggest that you pick up a Lodge skillet from Wal-Mart and give it a try!
Autumn
May 24, 2011 Autumn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, nonfiction
Not nearly as many inventive recipes as I'd hoped. Of course you can make anything in cast iron-I guess I was hoping for more traditional uses or new twists on those.
Erin
Apr 15, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodie
I really really want to try the Pecan Sticky Buns!

I actually bought this book because I found so many of the recipes ones I was willing to try.
Beth
Jul 30, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
Looking forward to trying a lot of these. The section on seasoning your skillet is helpful too.
Rachel
Aug 02, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who owns a cast iron skillet
The best dutch baby, aka puffy oven pancake, recipe. Top with a little lemon curd, wow!
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Small cookbook but full of great ideas for using my grandmother's cast iron skillet.
Paula
Nov 08, 2013 Paula added it
Great book. Great recipes and care of cast iron skillets.
*****
Lynn
Mar 23, 2009 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
includes my recipe for ginger/barbeque sauce Corned Beef. yum.
Mckinley
Jan 24, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
trying one now, seems like several I'd like to try
Melaniedk
Practical recipes for the cast iron cook.
Joe
Aug 22, 2007 Joe rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People that like really heavy pans.
Killer banana bread recipe.
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Sarah Pochedly
Sarah Pochedly rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Beth Carder
Beth Carder marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Tres Fuerte
Tres Fuerte marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Seth Zolin
Seth Zolin rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Elisabeth R. Sheeran
Elisabeth R. Sheeran marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Ro
Ro marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Eliza K
Eliza K marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
  • The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook: Eating Well for Better Health
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
  • The Big Book of Casseroles: 250 Recipes for Serious Comfort Food
  • More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics
  • Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever
  • Slow Cooker Revolution
  • Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie
  • Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much
  • The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • Cover & Bake
  • The pH Miracle for Weight Loss: Balance Your Body Chemistry, Achieve Your Ideal Weight
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens