Start by marking “The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen” as Want to Read:
The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen

The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Learn how to season cast iron, clean cast iron, and cook 90 tantalizing recipes in your cast iron skillet. This cookbook aims to show modern cooks how this inexpensive cast iron tool is the best pan in their kitchen. Fusing new and traditional recipes and gathering farm-fresh produce and ingredients, the authors show cooks how to make delicious food in this versatile skill ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Sasquatch Books (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook

Sara Wall
OK - so they really like butter, but so do I! Everything I've tried in this book has turned out. I've tried the meatloaf, banana bread, Irish bread, french toast, and ginger carrots. The ginger carrots were my least favorite, but that could have been me. They were firmer than I usually like. The french toast was evil and oh-so delicious.
Stephen
Too many cast iron skillets are lost in the back of a cupboard or in that drawer under the oven in most stoves. Many have been handed down from someone who knew how to use it to someone who does not. Sharon Kramis & Julie Kramis Hearne (a mother and daughter) speak for three generations in one family which relishes cast-iron cookery. Sharon Kramis has worked as a food consultant to Anthony's Restaurants in the Pacific Northwest for a quarter century. Julie Kramis Hearne is CIA trained and co ...more
Stephanie
This is a fun cookbook. If you are looking for breakfast, an appetizer, a main dish, an entree or dessert, it has a recipe for you to cook right up in your cast iron skillet. The recipes are not complicated with for the most part ingredients you would most likely already have on hand and the directions easy to follow.

There is no new flavor, new idea or new recipe to me in this book but it remains a nice collection of dishes that have stood the test of time and a few I would have not thought to
Liz
My cast iron skillet is easily my most used and most versatile kitchen piece. I got this book the same day I got the skillet and it helped tremendously in not feeling so intimidated by the thing and learning to use it properly. The recipes are fantastic, and I am called on to make the Coffee Cake from it everytime my mother comes to visit. It's an easy one and the little effort inspires big smiles as soon as we start to smell it cooking.
Jeannie K
Good hints and recipes. The content didn't show well on my tablet, though.
Tamara
I was hoping for a lot more recipes for campfire cooking. Most of the recipes were for the oven, which I use very sparingly. But this gave a great explanation for how to season your cast iron skillet, and also describes why mine turned sticky.

I will probably try the "Dutch baby" and baked apple recipes.
Stephanie
I love my cast iron pan- couldn't live without it. This book definitely gives you a ton of new ideas for using your favourite pan.

My recommended recipe: pecan sticky buns. They have become a family favourite! You will not believe how delicious they are.
Cailean
Proud to say I know the author personally! This is a wonderful book. We finally got a cast iron skillet and have just started learning how to cook with it. This book is an awesome resource for how to cook with it and what to cook with it!
Liz De Coster
Read on the Kindle reading app on my iPad, though it didn't matter much as there weren't many images. A solid cookbook highlighting the versatile ways cast iron skillets can be used.
Bridget
I love this cookbook and use it all of the time. Cast iron seems to make everything taste better. I suggest that you pick up a Lodge skillet from Wal-Mart and give it a try!
Autumn
Not nearly as many inventive recipes as I'd hoped. Of course you can make anything in cast iron-I guess I was hoping for more traditional uses or new twists on those.
Erin
Apr 15, 2011 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: foodie
I really really want to try the Pecan Sticky Buns!

I actually bought this book because I found so many of the recipes ones I was willing to try.
Beth
Looking forward to trying a lot of these. The section on seasoning your skillet is helpful too.
Rachel
Aug 02, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who owns a cast iron skillet
The best dutch baby, aka puffy oven pancake, recipe. Top with a little lemon curd, wow!
Elizabeth
Small cookbook but full of great ideas for using my grandmother's cast iron skillet.
Paula
Nov 08, 2013 Paula added it
Great book. Great recipes and care of cast iron skillets.
*****
Lynn
includes my recipe for ginger/barbeque sauce Corned Beef. yum.
Mckinley
trying one now, seems like several I'd like to try
Melaniedk
Practical recipes for the cast iron cook.
Joe
Aug 22, 2007 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People that like really heavy pans.
Killer banana bread recipe.
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Sahar Rezvani
Sahar Rezvani marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
CA
CA marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Aschelle
Aschelle marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
LadyInRed
LadyInRed marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Neil Duan
Neil Duan marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • The Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili Cookbook
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
  • 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • Alice's Tea Cup: Delectable Recipes for Scones, Cakes, Sandwiches, and More from New York's Most Whimsical Tea Spot
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • Putting Food By
  • Great Food, All Day Long: Cook Splendidly, Eat Smart
The Dutch Oven Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pot in Your Kitchen The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook, 2nd Edition: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen Cast Iron Skillet Big Flavors: 90 Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen Berries: A Country Garden Cookbook Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook, 2nd Edition