Marked (House of Night, #1)

Marked (House of Night #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  246,970 ratings  ·  10,431 reviews
The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire -- that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are c...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 306 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. CastFallen by Lauren Kate
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
4th out of 16,339 books — 44,837 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
46th out of 9,487 books — 51,629 voters

More lists with this book...

Kira
I'm trying hard to remember the last time I read a book this bad. Needless to say, I'm not having much success. I'm pretty sure this one trumps Halo and Fallen in the Should Never Have Been Published In This Universe category.

Hurrah for the Cast ladies!

Oh, I made a valiant effort, I really did. It's not like I gave up lightly. I borrowed it from the library, sure that since it was written by two authors, there couldn't possibly be room for errors! Right?

Oh, God, wrong! Wrong! So wrong! So incred...more
Kat Kennedy
When I went to read this book, I first checked out the reviews to see what I was in for. I was led to believe that this book was going to be bad by the sheer number of people who came to commiserate with me. Few books have ever drawn such a crowd of victims to console one another. And can anyone wonder why when this book reads like a thirteen year old's badly executed wetdream?

I have a theory though. Bear with me. I think we've all been reading this book wrongly am I'm willing to prove it.

It see...more
Haleema
Beware of spoilers! (But then again, just don't read this book.)

I am currently suffering from PTJRARCBD.

Post Traumatic Just Read A Really Crappy Book Disorder

July 8-12. Worst five days of my entire life.

Warning: This review is just me being... impossibly mad. In no way will this review sound intelligent and well written. Therefore, if you wish to continue, you may.

I don't think I can read another book in a long time. I picked up The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta a few days ago. However, the...more
Tiffany
Nov 02, 2008 Tiffany rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: nobody.
Read about half of it. Hated it. I'm returning the rest to the library.

The authors tried to make so many references to pop culture, they sounded ridiculous, and then were even proud of themselves for "sounding like teenagers," as they stated in the preface. Dumb. They tried to make moral lessons out of the life of this "fledgling," and had her reject things like Paris Hilton's weight, oral sex amongst teenagers, and Ashton Kutcher unfortunately liking older women. Oh, and the world was separated...more
Vanessa
A little while ago, I bought a battered old vampire novel for £1.50 from a charity shop. Yet the moment I started posting that I was reading it on GoodReads?

'RUN AWAY WHILE YOU CAN!'

'THIS BOOK WAS AWFUL, YOUR EYEBALLS ARE GOING TO BLEED OUT OF YOUR SKULL!'

'DROP IT RIGHT NOW. YOU'LL BE SO MUCH HAPPIER IF YOU NEVER READ THIS PIECE OF CRAP.'

'YOU POOR THING, I'LL BE PRAYING FOR YOU EVERY NIGHT!'

...Or something akin to that.

And were my friends right?

YES. Yes they were. This book is absolutely atrocio...more
Lisa
Nov 01, 2010 Lisa rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Lisa by: The masochist in me
This was how the book started. The first two pages literally went like this:

Tweeny 1: "ZOMG like -insert some teeny bs gossip here-"

Tweeny 2: "ZOMG like no! -more teeny gossip and more OMGs-"

Tweeny 1: "ZOMG like yeah."

All of a sudden some macho vamp guy stands in the hallway, points at teeny no #1 and is like "ZOEY YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO BE THE MAIN CHARACTER IN A BOOK THAT IS SO NOT TRYING TO BE LIKE TWILIGHT BUT YEAH YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN."

Then they're like "ZOMG YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN."

Tweeny 1...more
Jackie
Oh, I liked this book SOOOOOOOOO much better than the Stephanie Meyer series--these kids are smarter, more diverse, less whiny and far more intersting. Add to that a new version of vampirism, and it's a completely winning combination. The story telling is top notch, the characters are interesting, and the book is compelling start to finish. I can't wait to dive into the next in this series!

And I have to admit I'm intrigued by the concept of a mother/daughter writing team, especially such a succe...more
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
Lets get straight to the point here.
This book was weird, disgusting and epic fail at the same time.
Let me tell you the whole story in pictures.
Enjoy :)
(I don't know why, but some of the pics are not coming, sorry for that!)

MARKED -THE REAL STORY.
Once upon a time, there was this stupid, smart-ass girl named Zoey who was marked as a vampyre. But don't worry my fellow readers! She was special ...in failing.

Then this fail-example-of-women got an annoying boyfriend, Heath who is always drunk >.<...more
Kaia
Pretty much everything I could say about this book has already been said. Regardless, I'm going to say it anyway. Haters to the left.

Look, YA paranormal authors: We have got to talk. I can't take this anymore. I'm so tired of reading about your characters who are "different" or "anomalies" or "freaks" or what have you. I am. It's clear that none of you have the first fragging clue what it means to be an anomaly, because if you did, you wouldn't think it was so glamorous. And don't try to tell me...more
Wendy Darling
Hypersexed, boy-crazy, annoying teens. Plus some uninteresting supernatural stuff every once in awhile. For a series that involves so many teenagers having sex, these books sure aren't very sexy.
Creator (of epicness)
THE CASTS , I NEED TO SAY ONE THING ...

description

Zoey , you have problems with your friends ? Then why are you friends with them ??? Look after reading this , I was just like ...

description

I AM OFFENDED BY THIS BOOK . I AM 14 , SO IT IS AIMED FOR MY AGE GROUP , BUT IF PEOPLE THINK THIS IS WHAT TEENAGERS NEED TO BE READING THINK AGAIN. WE CAN ENJOY CLASSICS , WE DON'T ONLY READ RECYCLED TWILIGHT GARBAGE . IF I NEVER PICK UP A BOOK LIKE THIS , IT WILL BE TOO SOON.
(I gave up these books , but Kira's review provides exa...more
Lady Danielle
Okay, I'm going to be posting gifs on this review because this book was just too much.
My overall expression after reading up to 150 pages:

I wish I could give this 'no star' or something of the sort. I don't even know where to begin with this 'book'. It was retched, horrible, disdainful, etc. etc. P.C. Cast as well as her daughter's writing is childish. All the girls had blonde hair (auburn-blonde, strawberry-blonde, blonde, curly blonde, etc.) it's irritating and the only girl, besides Zoey, tha...more
Katy Johnson
This was a really quick read, made even quicker by skipping over the pages of repetitive neo-pagan-vampyre rituals (which I could have done entirely without). The author is clearly trying to win over the wiccan-teen demographic, while appealing to those who loved the Twilight series.

What bugged me most about this one was the author's attempt to address every controversial teen issue imaginable, while instilling good morals without being condescending. She managed, but honestly, the random comme...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jan 09, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: dropped-series
(I was spurred on to write this review due to the release of the eighth book in the series, Awakened. I stared at the fifteen copies in Target and blinked owlishly at them, thinking, "I can't believe this series is so popular to warrant that many copies." I mean, really. It makes me sick.)

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Zoey Redbird.

Now, contrary to what she may tell you herself, she was not the fairest of them all. However, thanks to the damnable powers of her goddess Nyx, she managed...more
Penny
I know, I can't believe I read this book either. What's worse? I've read all of them--the six that have been published. Why? Because I'm a moron, that's why.

Seriously, this is the worst YA vampire--I mean vampyre--series I've read (so far). While there are elements in this series that are interesting, it's nothing special. I mean, vampyres that control the elements? Come on! Richelle Mead already did that, just much, much, much better. Much better.

Why not just write a book about witches? Becaus...more
Miranda
This probably one of the worst books I have ever read... It was horrible. The writing was stupid. If you like to read a grown woman try to talk like a teenager then this is for you.. I hated it. I mean I felt stupid after reading some of this. They compared people to Paris Hilton, and Ashton Kutcher, they brought oral sex into and they didn't just briefly talk about it they made it stretch out over a couple of chapters. This mother/daughter writing team needs to rethink working together again. M...more
Lexa
Have you or have you not always wanted to know are you a good girl or a bad girl? A blushing virgin or a streetwalker? Mother Theresa or Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman?

You can know now! Just take the newest test: An Ultimate Slut Test by Cosmopolitan me Zoey Redbird.

Grab a pen and a piece of paper and let's begin!

1) Have you ever wanted to kiss a boy after knowing him for a short while?

2) Have you ever had a crush on celebrity?

3) Have you ever kissed a boy in public?

4) Have you ever kissed a b...more
Wildbriar

To be quite honest, I almost don't know what to say, or how to say it. I read just under half of Marked this morning, then set it gently aside and stared at the wall in a numb silence for a while. Perhaps, in hindsight, I should have thrown it. Marked is, quite simply, the worst book I have ever read in my entire life. Forget one star, this book has achieved negative stars from me.

The horror began with the Acknowledgements. P.C. Cast actually thanked her daughter for making sure they sounded li...more
Lina
Aug 23, 2010 Lina rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People who want to be insulted
Recommended to Lina by: Vloggers
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
16 year old Zoey has a crappy home life, an almost-ex-boyfriend who drinks too much, a best friend who's shallow and a geometry test tomorrow. But all this matters for naught when she is Marked by a Vampyre Tracker and must move to the House of Night school in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for four years while her body undergoes the Change into a Vampyre - or rejects it and she dies.

This is a new and original take on the Vampire legends, and mixes in matriarchy and goddess-worship with pleasing effect. Zoey...more
Brooke Watson
This book was so bad, I wanted to quit reading it, but then I could not have fairly rated it. So despite my better judgment - I read on, wincing all the way!

Marked tries so hard to be hip - but "like totally" fails. I know you have to be careful when choosing YA books. Some of it is great - it resonates with those of all ages. And some of it, like this book, is YA crap.

The main character was also very poorly created. She enjoyed reading the horrid Gossip girl series, yet was critical of her sexu...more
Mel (who is deeply in love with herself)
The easiest rating I've ever given a book. Let us please bury the fact I gave Marked four stars upon first reading; I was only 14 or 15 at the time and in that stage of adolescence-- the fangirling, over-excitable stage which no person wants to look back on. Gah. So embarrassing.

But then, a few days ago, I stumbled upon Marked again in the library. I was curious as to what I'd think of the book now I'd grown up a bit (in both senses of the word). And my brother was still trying to hunt down a bi...more
Britt
Typical teen story in which there is a black and white delineation between the heroes and the villains, and you will never mistake one for the other. Our heroine comes from a troubled family, longs for a place to belong, is marked as incredibly and shockingly extraordinary amongst her new peers, butts heads with the queen of the school who is also the flatly drawn villainess, immediately catches the eye of the hottest guy at school who is also the ex of our villainess, shows remarkable powers an...more
Aura
**For more reviews, contests, interviews, book news and more go to my blog:

Shambles, an absolute bloody shambles is how I can best describe this book.I don’t know what was worse, the tacky and unsympathetic attitude towards eating disorder victims, the blasé attitude towards male rape (the hallway scene, imagine the gender roles reversed and you’ll see how sexist it is) , or the constant usage of the words slut and hoe, oh yeah what a great example we’re set...more
Anushka
{1.5 Stars}

Okaaaay. So my theory is this - Overly hyped books like House of Night and Mortal Instruments were released near 2005 when there were very few YA Fantasy books and that's the reason these books are so famous. I mean, people are totally crazy about HoN & MI even though there are many books which are much better than these.
So, House of Night.
This book had a weak plot, weak as in pointless plot.

Why did Zoey get 'Marked'? And why especially by the Goddess Nyx?
The author didn't have...more
faeriemyst
NOTE: I read this way back in 2008 and I have a feeling I wouldn't like it so much now, if at all. Take my review with a grain of salt.

Admittedly deeper than my last read (Glass Houses by Rachel Caine), it's still in the same basic genre that I felt like reading at this time. Even though Zoey is a bit of a Mary-Sue character (practically perfect in every way), I still liked her, and it probably helped it was written in first person so that I could read her insecurities and such. I loved the basi...more
Mara
This book basically screams its own elevator pitch at you on the first page: vampire finishing school. Of course, in that regard it's not very original. I don't know why they were so excited. Besides, before there were vampire finishing schools there were wizard finishing schools and seriously can we all get over the finishing/boarding school fixation now?

Whatever. Let's meet Zoey, an incredibly annoying teen from Broken Arrow, a suburb of Tulsa, Oklahoma. There was a small, reluctant side of m...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...
Aug 27, 2010 UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Mature teens
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... by: I saw this series at the bookstore and decided to check it out.

A very easy read. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this book, but the first sentence, "Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse, I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker.", got my attention.

The House of Night Series is yet another addition to the vampire/vampyre genre. Veering off of the traditional vampire path, in this series, vampyres are chosen and Marked, not Changed by being bitten, and not all those who have been Marked actually live through the Change.

In Marked, the first...more
Christina
Aug 11, 2010 Christina rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: No one
Awful. Awful, awful, awful. I got probably halfway through this, wanting to give it a fair go for reviewing purposes, and just couldn't continue.

Where do I start? Probably with the style of writing, which was the first thing that hit at me. Written from the point of view of teenager Zoey Redbird, the prose is so stereotypically teenage that I'm surprised this entire generation isn't throwing this book down in insulted disgust. Just because something was said by one teenager at one point in time,...more
Talía
This book bothered me for three main reasons:
Reason number one: their writing.
This was the stupidest writing EVER. I know they wanted Zoe to sound like a teenager, but man, teenagers do not sound like a stupid high pitched bitch who talks nonsense all the time:
I mean,hello
You cannot write like that!!!! You cannot write the same freaking way you speak, that is the number one rule for everyone, not just writers:

I’m like, omg, hello! That whore was a nut case and I so wanted to...

Why?
1. As I...more
HOUSE OF NIGHT MOVIE 156 738 Apr 11, 2014 09:02AM
Should i keep reading??? 34 269 Apr 02, 2014 02:27AM
Can Someone Catch Me Up 3 26 Mar 26, 2014 12:47PM
The Page Turners: * Marked 1 1 Mar 13, 2014 07:15PM
House of Night or Twilight 39 155 Mar 05, 2014 06:01PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C. & Kristin Cast ---> 1st of March, 2014 14 28 Mar 04, 2014 09:22PM
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
  • Vampireville (Vampire Kisses, #3)
  • Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • The Prophecy (Daughters of the Moon, #11)
P.C. Cast was born in the Midwestern United States, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. With her tour in the USAF completed, she taught high school for 15 years before retirin...more
More about P.C. Cast...
Betrayed (House of Night, #2) Untamed (House of Night, #4) Chosen (House of Night, #3) Tempted (House of Night, #6) Hunted (House of Night, #5)

48 trivia questions
37 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Actually, since I'm gay I think I should count for two guys instead of just one. I mean, in me you get the male point of view and you don't have to worry about me wanting to touch your boobies.” 642 likes
“Don't you think baby corns are scary? There's just something wrong about their midget bodies.” 413 likes