Start by marking “A Man to Call My Own” as Want to Read:
A Man to Call My Own

A Man to Call My Own

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  4,644 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
After the sudden death of their father, Marian and Amanda Laton must leave their New England home and travel to their aunt's Texas ranch. It is a harrowing journey, but plain-looking Marian welcomes the challenge of their adventure, while beautiful Amanda complains at every turn. And when they need rescuing, cowboy Chad Kinkaid is the strong, sexy hero for the job. Amanda' ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Pocket Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Man to Call My Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man to Call My Own

Blair
Jun 30, 2015 Blair rated it really liked it
4 stars

I really,really enjoyed this book. It was very good.
Jessi
May 10, 2011 Jessi rated it it was ok
First Line: "Mortimer Laton was buried that morning in Haverhill, Massachusetts, the town where he had been born and lived his whole life."

Although the copyright information says 2003, this is a seriously Old Skool romance, and not in a good way. I couldn't stand the heroine and the hero was annoyingly obtuse. The only character I found at all interesting was the spoiled, bratty sister, who was at least funny sometimes. I surprised myself by reading the whole thing, but I would not suggest anyon
Ivana Azap Feješ
Feb 08, 2017 Ivana Azap Feješ rated it really liked it
This story features a set of twins - one evil, one good. The evil one is the one that is spoiled and the good one lives in such fear of incurring the jealous rage of her sister that she makes herself as unappealing as possible. She is just hoping and praying for her sister to get married and torment someone else. She's a klutz with glasses - and then they get sent to the wild west because of their father's death leaving them destitute or something (I forget the contrived premise). I love that th ...more
Galena Sanz
Jan 27, 2015 Galena Sanz rated it really liked it
Una historia ambientada en el oeste, una novela histórica y romántica que me ha sorprendido bastante porque no esperaba que esta autora me gustara tanto. He leído varios libros de Johanna Lindsey y aunque la mayoría me han gustado, no la tengo presente por ser una de mis autora favoritas. Cuando empecé esta historia no esperaba que me gustase tanto y que me crease tantas expectativas a medida que avanzaba. Visto de forma objetiva, no es la mejor historia romántica sobre este género del oeste, pe ...more
Chumchum_88
Nov 21, 2014 Chumchum_88 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
It's been a while since I have properly read a new book, cause first I had my exams then I had an intense urge to re-read a series I love, and what a great book! of course it's expected from Johanna Lindsey.

I loved all characters the good and bad:

- The Main Couple: Chad and Marian were cute and stupid, really really stupid I just wanted to shake them to their senses, they had moments were they kept on being adorable and companionable and just plain cute, but more often than not plain stupid, ho
KATTY
Dec 24, 2015 KATTY rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro típico y predecible, lleno de clichés y machismo, bastante entretenido hasta la mitad, cuando aparece el sexo. luego se vuelve estúpido, con peleas sin sentido y malentendidos bastante tontos, por no hablar del sexo por accidente que ya es la gota que colma el vaso... Aún así como ya digo hasta la mitad el libro es bastante entretenido, no lo recomiendo pero tampoco es tan malo. Le doy un 6.
Eve
Jul 11, 2015 Eve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historique
Trois étoiles parce que j'ai eu ben ben du fun à lire ça. L'histoire est COMPLÈTEMENT RIDICULE, mais on s'en fiche pas mal. Un cowboy sexy! Des galipettes dans une étable! Des revirements innatendus! Alouette!
Katie Johnson
Jun 30, 2011 Katie Johnson rated it it was amazing
not at all what i thought. this is the first book i have read that did not include vampires or mythical creatures. and i loved it. it was written very well and it was very romantic.
Claudia
2.5 en realidad. No consigo dar con un libro de esta autora que me convenza, pero no tiro la toalla.
Julianne
May 12, 2010 Julianne rated it it was amazing
Look, I gave it five stars! Am I too easy? Not sure, but this is a book I kept wanting to get back to and read a little more and find out what happened next! So I guess that makes it worthy of five stars.

It's Texas in the olden days, where the hero is not only gorgeous and wealthy, but a good horseman, an excellent rider, honest, brave, trustworthy, loyal, helpful,...or am I thinking of something else? Anyway, this was a case of the confusion that can come when you have twins to deal with. True
Claudia
Nov 08, 2016 Claudia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nada del otro mundo, predecible un poco aburrida.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had actually started reading this book several times over the past few months, but the beginning was so simplistic I would just get annoyed and put it down. Now that I've put my mind to it and finished, I was surprised to see this book first came out in 2003. The language, descriptions, and story were so simplistic (borderline idiot) I thought it had to have been written in the early 80's.

The jacket cover gives the general description of a Western theme, a story of two sisters, Marian, the nic
Alexa
May 02, 2012 Alexa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Reviewed on Alexa Loves Books

There's nothing quite like a good love story, especially when you're in the mood for one. A MAN TO CALL MY OWN was a quick read for me, but I enjoyed the romance, the setting and the characters as well. Fans of romance novels might find the story slightly predictable, but it's an entertaining addition to the genre.

The Characters

Chad Kinkaid is not necessarily my favorite romance novel hero, but he's certainly different from most of the heroes I'm familiar with. His
Daniela
Oct 23, 2012 Daniela rated it it was amazing
A Man To Call My Own… 5 big stars!

I am starting to realize that I really like historical fiction, this book make me open my eyes, and I am very happy about it. Well… let’s start with the plot:

so we have a girl, Marian, she has a beautiful golden, long hair, a pair of stunning blue eyes, all of her is pretty, even beautiful, but she doesn't show it, she is always on the background, hiding herself behind ugly closet, a grandma bun and a pair of big old glasses, because of her identical (maybe TO i
Anna Marie
It was a formula book done over okay, but... there were problems, too.

First this is the story of twins - the good/sweet one, and the hellion one. Because all twins are extremes. (?!) The good one wears frumpy clothing, no make-up, severe hair, and glasses she can't see through to make herself look ugly, because her sister is cruel and jealous and will hurt any man who pays attention to her sister.

But that isn't enough for the author. She takes it further, and makes the good one pretend to be bit
Amy Wilder
Dec 10, 2009 Amy Wilder rated it really liked it

This is basical
Jessa
Feb 19, 2016 Jessa rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Johanna Lindsey's books out of all of hers that I've read! I absolutely love her western romance novels and this one really tops them all.

I love Marian's character and how strong she is even though she seems a bit weak at first. Marian knows her sister Amanda would make her life miserable again if she tried to be herself. Her life becomes somewhat easier once they receive news that their father dies and they're to move south to Texas, to their Aunt Kathleen's ranch. T
Livia
Jul 12, 2016 Livia rated it it was amazing
Identical Twins Marian and Amanda Laton have just lost their father and must leave their home to go to his sister's ranch in Texas. The twins are as different as night and day in personalities and in looks only because Marian, tired of feeling the wrath of Amanda, maintains a Plain Jane appearance. The plain look and thick glasses insures that all the male attention goes to Amanda.

Their travel to Texas is filled with wild west adventures and when their aunt's friend Chad Kincaid meets the two th
Dawn
Sep 11, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it
An entertaining novel featuring twin females. Some parts were tedious, as the one sister had more than one instance of fighting with the man she loved. Neither were prepared to let the other one know. Other parts of the book were entertaining. I almost put the book away, reading only the first few pages as the writing seemed choppy, but I am glad I continued to read.

Recommended book.
Mindy
Apr 11, 2010 Mindy rated it it was amazing
By far and away my favorite Johanna Lindsey book. The story is wonderful and surprising filled with a hero that could make anyone swoon plus he's a cowboy and well I'm done!!

The writing is beautiful and full of suspense between our hero and heroine and not to mention tension of many kinds, LOL! It will surprise you and make you laugh, cry and fall in love so get it if you haven't already!
Aysha
Oct 24, 2014 Aysha rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of my favourite books by Johanna Lindsey or even of my life. I have read it over and over again and never wanted it to end. It had a solid plot and an even better ending. I would have liked the ending to have not ended so quickly but I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Overall the book was great and would definitely recommend it to my fellow readers.
Suhad
Jul 24, 2014 Suhad rated it it was amazing
That was a very catchi book, every time i decided to leave it something happens and attract me back to it, and it was very amazing, story to read with so many attractive details, and that was totally 5 stars book for me .
Megan
May 10, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
A great book!!!
Blanca P.
Como siempre digo, leer a la Lindsey siempre es un acierto, casi nunca falla.
Heather
Jul 16, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
johanna is tryin2 hard2 get our sympathy 4marian &it isnt workin.its comin off rly unrealistic. like why her dad automatically liked amanda better.or why he dint pay attention 2marian,but made sure she had clothing&everything.or why amanda dint care2 have friends,but wanted suitors.
stereotypical twins.1 evil,1 nice.not rlly realistic.
the speech is so wrong.its totally modern n places.
EXAMPLES OF MODERN EXPRESSIONS-
-bigger than life personality. hated eachothers guts. laying low. miss kn
Alana
Feb 17, 2017 Alana rated it did not like it
A very basic and formulaic offering from Lindsey here. I was looking for some light reading am I usually able to suspend my disbelief and quieten my inner cynic to enjoy them like any good rom-com but this was so far outside of reality and was just poorly written. I truly couldn't begin to tell you the character's actions and motivations were - the fact that Lindsey made them so totally unwilling to communicate with each other for the sake of drawing out the plot was very frustrating and the twi ...more
Melanie Moore
May 14, 2017 Melanie Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read.

Shocking ending. Didn't see it coming. Great story
About twines an the men they love. Got to read this book.
Kathy
1870-s - start in Massachusetts & ends in Texas...Amanda and Marian / twins, beautiful, opposite personalities, Amanda favored by father & Marian favored by mother - who had passed 8 years earlier...

Father Mortimer, rich, indulged Amanda, selfcentered, dead... and his will puts them under his sister's guardianship, who had left for Texas to get away from her brother when the twins were young...

Amanda was self centered and jealous... so Marian had learned to disguise her own beauty with c
Zel Polev
Jul 13, 2016 Zel Polev rated it really liked it
☂ ℬrandi
❤❤❤

Marian and Amanda are identical twins but Amanda has always been their father's favorite. He's spoiled her and created a manipulative, acerbic shrew. But the men love Amanda because she's beautiful, vibrant, stylish and loves their attention. Marian does everything to disguise her looks and not offer competition. She dresses drably, styles her hair in harsh bun, and wears unnecessary spectacles to avoid notice. She does all of this to attention from suitors. In the past, if Marian had a suit
  • Only Mine (Only Series, #2)
  • True Spies (Lord and Lady Spy, #2)
  • Shotgun Bride (McKettricks, #2)
  • The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)
  • One Kiss From You (Switching Places, #2)
  • Navy SEAL Security (Brothers in Arms, #1)
  • The Tea Planter's Bride
  • The Heart Won't Lie (Sons of Chance, #12)
  • Nobody's Darling
  • Flame (Flame Set, #1)
  • The Wedding Game (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #3)
  • Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Protecting His Princess
  • Mountain Laurel (Montgomery/Taggert, #5)
  • The Silent Rose (Paranormal Series I, #1)
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • 'Til Death (Rebel Ridge, #3)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...

“Biding time is easy -- and gets you nowhere.” 11 likes
“My mother helped me to get past that. She was always there for me, until she dies. I remember she told me once, about big hearts and small hearts, and that not everyone could be blessed with a big one that had room to care for a lot of people. She promised me that mine was big, and that I was the lucky one for it.” 11 likes