Start by marking “Captive Bride” as Want to Read:
Captive Bride

Captive Bride

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  5,371 ratings  ·  187 reviews
The irresistible call of adventure brings lovely Christina Wakefield to the alluring Arabian desert. But fate imprisons her after she encounters Sheik Abu, the strikingly handsome though arrogant adventurer, whom she had known in England as Philip Caxton.

Once Christina had rejected Philip's fervent offer of marriage. But now she is to be his slave -- desperate for the free
Published November 24th 2009 by Avon (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Captive Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captive Bride

Loederkoningin
This checks my boxes like you wouldn't believe!

V A handsome Arabian male
V Arrogant, dominant prick (a sheik even!)
V Abduction
V Humiliation/degradation
V Great age gap
V Dub con/ non con
V Stockholm Syndrome (?)
V Wonderful reviews

Buddy read with Jenna, Angelica and Rebecka, with much appreciated mockery moral support from Mammarella.

7/1/14: post buddy read gone wrong

Well then, all my buddy read partners have bitten the dust, so I'm sure no one objects to me DNF'ing at 65%. It looks like I dragged m
Diana
Suck, suck, suck, suckity suck, suck suck. That's what this book did all the way through. In the 70's, it appears there was a trend for rape or almost-rape romances, where a male was sexier the more dominant he was. Ugh. If someone tried kidnapping me and telling me I would lust after him and I would obey, I'd be guilty of murder in the 1st degree.
Sadia
Jun 10, 2012 Sadia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People I want brain damaged.
Recommended to Sadia by: The part of my brain that wants me dead
This book sucks beyond belief! And like it's not infuriating enough plot wise, it goes on and on like a delusional maniac, claiming rape is not rape, abduction is not abduction, coercion is not coercion, and it's totally alright to be kidnapped, held against your will, raped, beaten and humiliated by being someone's sex slave because you know what! It actually is a fairy tale and if your abductor happens to be good looking you will forget all your principles, your scruples, the people you loved ...more
Lilly ~ Lihllith~
This was awful! The heroin is weak and the hero (?) is a total mental case!

So let me get this straight. She gets kidnapped, forced into becoming a sex slave and is threatened with a beating, yes I said beating, on a daily biases and she is OK with that? WHAT?
He sleeps right there and she does nothing night after night but cry? Huh? She lies there and let him sleep next to her? The first night I would have bashed him upside the head and he would have been forced to kill me! Thus ending the story
Nazia
suck suck suck suck!!!!!!!!!! this book sucks throughly. The hero was a maniacal bastard,a pedophile and the heroine was a weak,brainless ninny.God this book is just so awful!!! How did writer conceived such horrible idea in her diabolic mind..??? And how can someone read it and like it??? After completing it I was speechless for 30 minutes i could'nt stop fuming about this bad and ugly book. Let me get this straight,Philip Caxton sets his eyes on Christiana for the first time and he is overwhel ...more
Lady Raven RAVE!
I like it its a historical romance and that's how it was back then..I admit he was a little harsh and crass at times but I really did like the ending..

Most historical romance novels were like that and I have read worst with actual rape not nearly raped. if you can't handle this book then you should go for that romance candle light dinner thing like harlequin present books, (not hating on harlequin books I love them). But other than that, I thought the book was good and not bad for Johanna's earl
April
There was a HUGE sale on Johanna Lindsey books not too long ago —a good number of her backlist was made available in the Kindle format — and I took advantage and bought everything of hers on sale because simply ... I love her books.

So I've been gorging on Johanna Lindsey books the last few weeks/months or so, following the order of books listed on her Wikipedia page. I've been chain reading them when I wasn't working or moving from one city to another, when I lay at night unable to sleep and in
Christine
God awful!

The only good thing about this book is that it was an excellent example of what NOT to do when writing romance. Since I'm writing a romance series right now, it helped me to refine my ideas on good technique.

More specifically, this book uses Overwhelming Lust, something that I am growing more and more disgusted with. Physical attraction in romance is necessary but not sufficient. Lust becomes overwhelming when it is shoved down my throat in such a way that I can't even truly believe t
M A
I recall reading "Captive Bride" and feeling so disappointed and disturbed with it, I wanted to return it to the bookstore.

I liked "Silver Angel," another "sheikh/harem captive" romance by Lindsey, so I thought I'd enjoy "Captive Bride" as well. Overall tone and style couldn't be more different in the two books. Captive Bride is a basic rape romance without merit. The hero desires the heroine and attempts to court her properly. When she rebuffs him, his solution is to kidnap her and install her
Lelyana Taufik
Satu lagi buku Johanna Lindsay yang membuat saya terpana.
Awalnya sangat tidak menyukai karakter hero di cerita ini, namun setelah membaca lebih kedalam permasalahannya..Love this man, Sheik Abu Alhamar aka Phillip Caxton ...

Inggris...Christina di lamar Tommy sahabat masa kecilnya dan menolak lamaran itu karena merasa masih kecil dan masih ingin ke London untuk bergaul.
Disana bertemu Phillip Caxton yang baru datang dari Mesir untuk berlibur, yang pada saat itu, adik Phillip, Paul berusaha mencar
Heather Tisdale
Love that she got her characters out of England, but it still has a huge pet peeve of mine. The title should have given it away, but I'm sorry, the following just doesn't work for me:

I must have you.

I'll make you want me. (Proceeds to grope and fondle the girl while she half struggles, half goes Oh my I'm being kissed! What big hands you have, grandma.)

No! Stop! You can't do this. I don't want this.

Yes you do.

...then it varies, but essentially you get to the gist of it... hop on pop or I ch
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
This is one of the first Johanna Lindsey books I read. It was magic. It was also my first official sheikh book. Ever since I have had a weakness for sheikh romances. I can't even count how many times I read this book. It's been a while but I remember being absolutely transfixed by the writing and the storytelling. It's very romantic, if you don't mind captive situations and forced seduction. I loved the reunion in England and how that plays out. Definitely one of my all time favorites.
Netha
ini lagi nih 1 buku selain secret fire yg cowoqnya maen culik anak orang seenaknya.

phillip paxton or whatever his last name (kagak inget hehehehe) saat pertama bertemu christina & langsung melamarnya.
ya jelas aja ditolak christina, yg bener aja baru ketemu juga kok dah langsung main sosor aja. duh sapa elu......

entah jin mana yg merasuki phillip eh tiba2 dia nyulik christina & dibawa ketengah gurun pasir tempat bangsa phillip berada (yah phillip berdarah arab+england). disitu christina d
SarLy
Phillip is the classic Lindsey hero and I adore him! That being said, this is my personal opinion and the ladies that do not enjoy a rough hero and a pretty much non-consensual relationship with semi-forced sex and spanking may want to steer clear of this book. I have read many of the reviews here and I'm uncertain as to why 'usual' Johanna Lindsey readers are all up in arms over Captive Bride. If you don't enjoy the sense of being transported to the time and place and how women were mostly like ...more
ChaoticCupcake
While I managed to finish this book, I found myself skimming most of the way through it. I can't say I enjoyed it. I've heard great things about other books by this author but I'm a bit apprehensive to bother with them. I understand this is the first or one of the first novels the Lindsey ever wrote and I understand she has probably improved. However, this story really left a bad taste in my mouth.
First of all, I rewarded it two stars simply because I thought the plot had potential. This potent
I love Johanna Lindsey!! I hate Captive Bride!! I thought the dialogue was silly and contrived, the plot was very simplistic and the few romance scenes were not so much 'romance' scenes as they were 'rape' scenes. With each 'romance' scene I got more and more angry with the story and just wanted to scream at Lindsey "WHY?!! Why did you write this? How could you have written this tripe, but also written wonderful, romantic stories like Gentle Rogue or Tender Rebel?"

Rebecka
Ugh. Worst piece of crap ever put into print and called a book. It's not like you read these books to find literary greatness, but you at least expect to be amused, entertained. You should be sighing in disbelief and shaking your head at the silliness, but you shouldn't want to kill yourself every 5 words.

A complete failure on behalf of Lindsey, who has written some other, much more entertaining books. This is also clearly one of those "stick to what you know" cases (here: stables, manors and m
Regan Walker
Lindsey’s 1st Book: A Classic Bodice Ripper with a British Desert Sheik

I have read many by Lindsey and consider myself a fan. But not all of hers garner 5 stars, and this, her first book, is one that does not. While it is well written and will hold your interest, it is a historical romance without history or historical details. (I only knew it was Victorian because late in the book she gave the date of 1885, which means it begins in 1884.)

Set in England, Egypt and the desert, this is the story o
Judy
Nova
Untuk saya buku ini kok datar banget, terutama setengah awal buku.

Agak aneh sama heronya, Philip yang keras banget menolak pernikahan, tapi sekali ngeliat Christina langsung aja pengen memiliki bahkan langsung mengajukan lamaran. Memang sih Christina, Heroinenya, digambarkan stunning bgt, sampe2 setiap laki2 yang ngeliat bawaannya pengen mengajukan lamaran aja walaupun belum pendekatan.

Ketika Christina menolak lamaran si Philip ini, dia tetap bertekad memiliki Christina dengan cara apapun bahkan
Gina
I started this book and hated off the bat.
The heroine is a typical gorgeous girl who has no physical imperfections. THe author tries to make her be some sort of intelligent sassy tomboy, but instead she comes off as annoying, and idiot, and self centered.
The hero is supposed to tall dark and handsome, but like many other reviewers of this book said, he is a total MENTAL CASE. Seriously, he's so weird. He says he wants an intelligent wife and not some frilly dress wearing London girl, but the sec
Lauri
This book is very captivating Johanna is a brilliant writer. She pulls you in right from the very start. When I began this book I thought when the time came I would be able to put it down for sleep. I was wrong, once I startted I needed to know how it ended. I read this book all night long and finished it by morning.
Madison
Carol krüger
This Book was awful. The hero was a lazy, forceful, spoiled and anger problem man who thinks rape is normal. Then the heroine gives in way to quickly even though sometimes the hero did not give her much of a choice and i never know what she sees in the hero. I felt really bad for her childhood friend Tommy because he deserved her more than the hero but in the last chapters he went a bit crazy (literally). This has to be the worst johanna Lindsey book. The plot was ok and there was an ending (no ...more
Booked
description

Desert Stars

On a night made for love, there was only terror for beautiful Christina Wakefield. She who had recklessly followed her brother from London to Cairo on a whim was now made prisoner by an unknown abductor who carried her off to his hidden encampment.

Soon she would share his bed, know his touch, growing ever closer to the man who owned her as a slave.

And soon she would learn to want him as he wanted her--to share his soul, his being--her body aching to be his alone in the tr
Sydnee Jane
Not much can be said about Johanna Lindsey's repeated crimes against humanity. Before 50 Shades became a popular fixture in the romance genre, it seemed that house wives across the nation were fanning themselves with Lindsey's cheap paperbacks. Regardless of her popularity, Lindsey's books leave a foul taste in my mouth.

First, there are the terrible, undeveloped characters. Yes, I know cookie-cutter Alpha males are a fan favorite, and yes, an undeveloped female protagonist can help the reader i
Rachel
Classic late seventies bodice ripper.
I understand why so many readers were disgusted or infuriated by this story, but as another reviewer has already stated, this book was written with a much different audience in mind. Forced seduction story lines were a common trope during the seventies and early eighties. My grandmother read this book when it was first released (along with books by Kathleen Woodiwiss and Rebecca Brandewyne) and absolutely loved it!
Approaching "Captive Bride" with this in min
Vi Nguyễn
I'm a fan of JL but honestly i will never ever finish this book since the story is so ridiculous and illogical
Firstly, about our hero. After 21 years living in England with a good education, he decided to live with his father in Africa and acted as a barbarian ( are you kidding me ????) He also swore never get marrige and one second afer seeing our heroine he proposed her. the nonsenses not stopped there, our hero also involved in kidnapping, enslaving the heroine because she had refused his pro
Jen
Apr 03, 2012 Jen rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
Read it because I just had to see if it was as bad as I'd been told. And boy howdy was it ever! I can't remember the last time I was laughing out loud at literary ridiculousness with such consistency. Seriously: The characters are awful. The plot is awful. The dialogue is awful. The book is awful. The end.
Timeforme
Main Characters:
Christina Wakefield - A beautiful young English woman who travels to Egypt with her brother
Philip Caxton - Half English/Half Egyptian sheikh who kidnaps Christina when she refuses to marry him

Synopsis:

Once Christina had rejected
MY PLEA 1 5 Nov 13, 2014 02:07PM
my wish 2 6 Nov 13, 2014 02:04PM
  • Desert Hostage
  • Devil's Daughter (Devil, #2)
  • Gabriel's Bride
  • Enchantress
  • Island Flame (Pirates, #1)
  • Gypsy Lady
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Never Call It Love
  • The Enchanted Land
  • Valentina
  • Royal Seduction (Royal, #1)
  • The Flame and the Flower
  • Dark Fires (Morgan-Challenger, #2)
  • The Conqueror
  • Enslaved
  • Viking!
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3) Prisoner of My Desire Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1) Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2) The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)