Start by marking “Madam President” as Want to Read:
Madam President

Madam President

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  536 ratings  ·  116 reviews
A little girl imagines what her day would be like if she were Madam President. There would be executive orders to give, babies to kiss, tuna casseroles to veto (or VETO!)…and so much more! Not to mention that recess would definitely require more security.

With deadpan wit and hilarious illustrations, best-selling picture book creator Lane Smith introduces readers to an unf
Published July 29th 2008 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Madam President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madam President

In a Blue Room by Jim AverbeckWe are the Ship by Kadir NelsonWabi Sabi by Mark ReibsteinOld Bear by Kevin HenkesHow I Learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz
2009 Caldecott Contenders
17th out of 37 books — 92 voters
Who Cloned the President? by Ron RoyIndependent Dames by Laurie Halse AndersonChange Has Come by Kadir NelsonMy America by Jan Spivey GilchristGrace for President by Kelly DiPucchio
Prep Kiddos for DC
6th out of 26 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

paula
Here's a good idea: pretend you are the president, and see how that makes you act. In Madam President, Lane Smith (who must be the hardest-working, most civic-minded dude in children's literature) lays out all the qualities the president needs to exhibit. Wisdom. Diplomacy. Friendliness, sympathy, humility, toughness, calm.

His noble little girl, in her tailored, flared pantsuit, demonstrates how each of these exemplary traits plays out during an action-packed day that starts at 7am with an execu
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
If you read the text alone on this one, it could pass as an informational book on what the President of the United States does. But if you look at the pictures, it becomes a story about a girl who imagines herself as President. The difference between the text and the pictures creates the appealing humor of the story. I'm not fond of Lane Smith's artwork, which is why I'm only giving it 3 stars. I do like her Secret Service Agent cat, however, and the bust of Eleanor Roosevelt that she stands on ...more
karrie's corner
This is a brilliant book! Katy uses her executive power to make things happen in her world, and goes about her day as if she is the President of the United States. With hilarious pictures, and sharp, intelligent prose, Lane Smith has created a very informative and funny book. The illustrations are wonderful, and the look on Katy's face as she appoints her Cabinet, deals with the Secret Service out on the playground, and tries to repair the disaster area that is her bedroom is priceless.

I love t
Marissa Garcia
The saucy young girl starring in this amusing Lane Smith work is quite comfortable with the many responsibilities of the presidency. Marching importantly across the pages, she declares many accurate facts about what a president must do, and we see her interpretation in Smith's humorous illustrations. From negotiating treaties between dogs and cats, deciding on a "capable cabinet" consisting of Secretaries of Pizza, Fantasy, Naps, and Pets Who Should Be In Their Cages, to using the president's ve ...more
Emily Woodard
I didn't like it when she cleaned her room or stood on a statue. I liked the cover though, it was nice.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

One little girl imagines her day if she were President.

Katy uses an executive order to refill her waffle plate. Recess includes secret service agents hiding behind the trees. She vetoes tuna salad for lunch. Katy even has to deal with a Disaster Area - her room.

Lane Smith creates a story that will make readers giggle. The adorable pictures reinforce the humorous tale. While the presidential subject is timely, this book will be enjoyed for
Sydney Klimas
In the book Madam President, Lane Smith is both the illustrator and the author. This book is for second or third graders. This book will probably interest female readers more because it is about how a little girl who goes through this whole plan about what life would be like if she became president. This little girl goes through her entire day pretending that she is president, and it is very entertaining. In this book, Lane Smith does a good job making the illustrations very entertaining and the ...more
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: November 10th, 2014

Author: Lane Smith

Title: Madam President

Plot: Lane Smith picture-book goes inside the life of Madam President and the roles, duties, and responsibilities that the Madam President attains, including keeping the peace and cleaning up her room every once in awhile.

Setting: Madam President's home and school

Characters: Madam President

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Responsibilities

Style: Mixture of short sentences and verses; Illustrations are abstract (the reader can id
Rebecca
This book will be good to read to the third and fourth graders when they start learning about president. It gives a description about the president's job and the purpose of different candidates. It is engaging to read because the job titles have been changed to a kid's frienlier words that the kids can understand.
Chelsea
Hilarious! Probably my favorite picture book of the year. Smith does a great job of relating presidential duties to a young girl's day to day life. And she's fabulous, full of spirit and humor. Hilarious for adults and children, and highly recommended for every kid with presidential tendencies!
Karrie

I love th
Leslie
I am fairly new to Lane Smith and we’ve only met over a few books featuring very head-strong young ladies. He has a noticeable a knack for depicting them well. Judith Viorst’s Lulu and Florence Parry Heide’s Princess Hyacinth are neither cute nor hideous. They carry the angles he gives them well and “flounce,” “bounce,” and “squee” are not words that come to mind when they express themselves!

A grade-school girl Katy takes us through the day in the life of an American president—well, not any Amer
Dolly
Apr 22, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love Lane Smith's books and so when we saw this book at our local library, we just knew we had to read it. It's a fun look at a day in the life of a little girl who pretends that she is the President of the United States.

The story is funny and the illustrations are terrific, but what I love are the little details, like the different books scattered throughout her bedroom, the posters on her walls, the bust of Eleanor Roosevelt in her schoolyard, the words to "Hail to the Chief" and the cigar
Edward Creter
A guy author honors women and girls by extolling the All-American virtues of a possible woman president and dares little girls to dream Big American Dreams. There are responsibilities even in being a lady prez, but this book handles them with wit and charm worthy of the currently all-male Office of the Commanding Chief. Sarah and Hilary, read this book and learn! And remember, girls: ask not what your country can do for you: that's Beyoncé's job every time she checks the mirror!
Amy Musser
Katy is here to tell you that the President of the United States has many duties. She imagines what it would be like to be Madam President as she goes about her day at school and at home. She vetoes tuna casserole at lunch, gives a press conference in class, and averts a disaster by cleaning her room. And, as she settles into her bed for the night, she’s very happy there’s a vice president to meet the ambassador from Freedonia.

Smith’s illustrations are full of funny details that mesh perfectly w
Review posted 2/17/2012 at Owl Tell You About It.

Okay, this is cutest book. I loved it so much that when I finished it, I started all over again. I took my time the second way through, making sure to take in everything in the art. It’s so cute and conjured up a few giggles from me along the way.

I think this is defniitely a good one for your kiddies, especially if you want to teach them about the president and in job in a fun way. Or maybe you want to teach your daughter that women can take offic
Romelle
A story about a girl imagining herself as a President as she goes about her day. A linear plot line that starts out in the morning with MC reviewing her agenda and ends at bedtime, exhausted. Love the imagination and humor of this confident young gal.
Shelli
A young girl envisions her life as president and all the obligations and privileges the job will hold. This book’s comical illustrations accompanied with simple yet witty text makes this a fantastic read aloud that would appeal to many ages.
george
A little girl imagines that she is the president--and man, is it a lot of work. There are executive orders to give (more waffles), and lunches to approve. There are babies that must be kissed, and photo ops to be squeezed in. Negotiating treaties and attending state funerals, not to mention going to school and vetoing tuna casserole. And her work's not even done! Being president is a big responsibility.

LOVE that this book showcases a little girl as dreaming of being president. The illustrations
Brooke Birchler
This is a really good book to read to children who are learning about the president and what he does. This would be best to use with older children.
babyhippoface
Funny, charming, clever, and a little bit sarcastically snippy, this book scores an A+.

A savvy little girl describes what her life would be like if she was the President of the United States. Kissing babies, giving orders, choosing lunch and more are addressed with terrific wit. Particularly hilarious spreads center on press conferences, veto power, and a photo op (presidential candidates, Smith's got you pegged).

With the right guidance, this book could be used all the way up into high school a
Elaine
A fun, silly book about a girl who pretends that she is president of United States for a day. She has fun with vetoes and press conferences and keeping the peace. This book could be a good jumping off point for a conversation about the real president and his duties.
Christina
What an awesome way to start a unit on government just to get all the vocab!!!!
Phil Deschler
Jun 30, 2015 Phil Deschler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Phil by: Self
Excelent book, easy to follow.
Terry
This was a lot of fun to read. We particularly enjoyed the subtle humor. The simplicity of the text and event-driven illustrations make it easy to explain concepts and new vocabulary. For example, we learn about diplomacy when the president keeps her feelings about someone's hat to herself. Kids understand that they need to say only kind things, but they don't generally say "I'm being diplomatic."

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Adrienne
Love it! The pictures are awesome, the story is clever, and the audio version is fantastically funny! Great!
Tamara
I don't think this would hold a toddler's attention, but I think it would be good for a preschool/kindergarten introduction to the world of politics.

My favorite parts are the list of cabinet members, which includes the Secretary of Naps (a sleeping sock monkey) and her Secret Service Agent (her cat complete with shades and an earpiece.)

I love that we have evolved to publishing picture books about little girls as presidents. Yay!

Oh, and the illustrator is the same guy who did Stinky Cheese Man.
Ian
Fun, but having read it, I'm still not sure why it exists.
Megan Sanchez
Best book from last week's trip to the library. Our main character dreams of being President and spends her day imagining what it will be like and practicing for the future. This includes keeping the peace and negotiating treaties on the playground and appointing a cabinet made up of her favorite toys. I am generally in love with books that tell little girls that they can grow up to be anything and this is definitely one to add to that shelf.
  • Grace for President
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • Big Plans
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
  • The Retired Kid
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears
  • The Black Book of Colors
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • Mail Harry to the Moon!
  • Snoring Beauty
  • Beware of the Frog
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners
  • One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference
  • A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever
  • In a Blue Room
  • Vampirina Ballerina
  • The Little Yellow Leaf
Smith was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but moved to Corona, California at a young age. He spent summers in Tulsa, however, and cites experiences there as inspirations for his work, saying that "[o]nce you've seen a 100-foot cement buffalo on top of a donut-stand (sic) in the middle of nowhere, you're never the same."

He studied art in college at the encouragement of his high school art teacher, helping
More about Lane Smith...
It's a Book Grandpa Green John, Paul, George & Ben Abe Lincoln's Dream The Happy Hocky Family