Start by marking “Madam President” as Want to Read:
Madam President

Madam President

A little girl imagines what her day would be like if she were Madam President. There would be executive orders to give, babies to kiss, tuna casseroles to veto (or VETO!)…and so much more! Not to mention that recess would definitely require more security.

With deadpan wit and hilarious illustrations, best-selling picture book creator Lane Smith introduces readers to an unfo
Published July 29th 2008 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Madam President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madam President

paula
Here's a good idea: pretend you are the president, and see how that makes you act. In Madam President, Lane Smith (who must be the hardest-working, most civic-minded dude in children's literature) lays out all the qualities the president needs to exhibit. Wisdom. Diplomacy. Friendliness, sympathy, humility, toughness, calm.

His noble little girl, in her tailored, flared pantsuit, demonstrates how each of these exemplary traits plays out during an action-packed day that starts at 7am with an execu
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
If you read the text alone on this one, it could pass as an informational book on what the President of the United States does. But if you look at the pictures, it becomes a story about a girl who imagines herself as President. The difference between the text and the pictures creates the appealing humor of the story. I'm not fond of Lane Smith's artwork, which is why I'm only giving it 3 stars. I do like her Secret Service Agent cat, however, and the bust of Eleanor Roosevelt that she stands on ...more
Mathew
Although it is based in America, its subtle message that anyone, regardless of gender should dream big in life in order to aspire to be anything that they want to be is done is a witty and light-hearted way. Lane Smith has a real talent for throwing traditional stories and socio-cultural norms on their heads and he does this so well here.
Not only is there wit in abundance but I thought that the play between what the words were saying against what the illustrations were show Lane at his very bes
karrie's corner
Feb 08, 2009 karrie's corner rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant book! Katy uses her executive power to make things happen in her world, and goes about her day as if she is the President of the United States. With hilarious pictures, and sharp, intelligent prose, Lane Smith has created a very informative and funny book. The illustrations are wonderful, and the look on Katy's face as she appoints her Cabinet, deals with the Secret Service out on the playground, and tries to repair the disaster area that is her bedroom is priceless.

I love t
Marissa García
The saucy young girl starring in this amusing Lane Smith work is quite comfortable with the many responsibilities of the presidency. Marching importantly across the pages, she declares many accurate facts about what a president must do, and we see her interpretation in Smith's humorous illustrations. From negotiating treaties between dogs and cats, deciding on a "capable cabinet" consisting of Secretaries of Pizza, Fantasy, Naps, and Pets Who Should Be In Their Cages, to using the president's ve ...more
Danielle Mootz
Jul 29, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Very timely book for our current election but even better was teaching my 6 year old a lot of new words and concepts.
Emily Woodard
Jul 19, 2015 Emily Woodard rated it liked it
I didn't like it when she cleaned her room or stood on a statue. I liked the cover though, it was nice.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

One little girl imagines her day if she were President.

Katy uses an executive order to refill her waffle plate. Recess includes secret service agents hiding behind the trees. She vetoes tuna salad for lunch. Katy even has to deal with a Disaster Area - her room.

Lane Smith creates a story that will make readers giggle. The adorable pictures reinforce the humorous tale. While the presidential subject is timely, this book will be enjoyed for
Gail LaVoie
Jun 30, 2016 Gail LaVoie rated it it was ok
The only things I enjoyed about it were the pictures and the fact that it centered around a little girl that wanted to be president. I loved that it was a girl, since we have yet to have a female president I think this book is wonderful for encouraging young girls to try. I didn't much like all the things she did though. She came across as more of a spoiled brat than anything. She seemed like a young girl with big aspirations that used her dreams to get away with doing whatever she wanted to do. ...more
Jessica
Sep 19, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
See this review and more at: http://idiosyncraticlibrary.com

Witty, smart and dead on accurate, Lane Smith's Madam President is the story of an elementary school aged girl who goes through her day pretending to be the President of the United States. With executive orders to issue over breakfast, lunches to approve, and treaties between the ever warring feline and canine nations to negotiate Lane Smith takes readers through the daily responsibilities of the President. The humor of Madame President
Sydney Klimas
May 05, 2015 Sydney Klimas rated it really liked it
In the book Madam President, Lane Smith is both the illustrator and the author. This book is for second or third graders. This book will probably interest female readers more because it is about how a little girl who goes through this whole plan about what life would be like if she became president. This little girl goes through her entire day pretending that she is president, and it is very entertaining. In this book, Lane Smith does a good job making the illustrations very entertaining and the ...more
Gabrielle Blockton
Nov 10, 2014 Gabrielle Blockton rated it really liked it
Date: November 10th, 2014

Author: Lane Smith

Title: Madam President

Plot: Lane Smith picture-book goes inside the life of Madam President and the roles, duties, and responsibilities that the Madam President attains, including keeping the peace and cleaning up her room every once in awhile.

Setting: Madam President's home and school

Characters: Madam President

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Responsibilities

Style: Mixture of short sentences and verses; Illustrations are abstract (the reader can id
Jennifer Strong
May 06, 2016 Jennifer Strong rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2016
A young girl, acting as president, fulfills her duties as the Chief of State. She gives executive orders (more waffles!), kisses babies, attends a (frog) funeral, negotiates a treaty (between a dog and cat), veto's a bunch of stuff (tuna casserole), gives a speech at a press conference (oral report), and contains a disaster zone (cleans her messy bedroom). That night she sends her vice president (doll) to greet a foreign ambassador so she can sleep, because "even a president gets pooped."

This st
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This book will be good to read to the third and fourth graders when they start learning about president. It gives a description about the president's job and the purpose of different candidates. It is engaging to read because the job titles have been changed to a kid's frienlier words that the kids can understand.
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
Mar 09, 2009 Chelsea Couillard-Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Hilarious! Probably my favorite picture book of the year. Smith does a great job of relating presidential duties to a young girl's day to day life. And she's fabulous, full of spirit and humor. Hilarious for adults and children, and highly recommended for every kid with presidential tendencies!
Lisa
Aug 27, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-this
This book has been on shelves for nearly ten years now, but I had to give it a read given its timely subject matter. A little girl imagines herself to be present and acts accordingly, finding places to fit her executive duties as Commander and Chief into her everyday kid routines. As I always do when reading anything written or illustrated by Lane Smith, I loved looking closely at his detailed illustrations and finding clever references to other great leaders (women but men, too) peppered here a ...more
Shannon Brasher
A humorous and informative book which follows a little girl named Katy as she pretends to be the President of the United States. Katy has executive orders to give (more waffles please,) photo ops to shoot (photobombing a boy scout troop taking a photo,) as well as using her veto authority on the tuna casserole at school. This would probably be a good book for younger kids to discuss the president and his duties, however it would probably not be my go to for a read aloud. I would include it in my ...more
Karrie
Jan 21, 2009 Karrie rated it it was amazing

I love th
Leslie
Oct 02, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
I am fairly new to Lane Smith and we’ve only met over a few books featuring very head-strong young ladies. He has a noticeable a knack for depicting them well. Judith Viorst’s Lulu and Florence Parry Heide’s Princess Hyacinth are neither cute nor hideous. They carry the angles he gives them well and “flounce,” “bounce,” and “squee” are not words that come to mind when they express themselves!

A grade-school girl Katy takes us through the day in the life of an American president—well, not any Amer
Dolly
Apr 22, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love Lane Smith's books and so when we saw this book at our local library, we just knew we had to read it. It's a fun look at a day in the life of a little girl who pretends that she is the President of the United States.

The story is funny and the illustrations are terrific, but what I love are the little details, like the different books scattered throughout her bedroom, the posters on her walls, the bust of Eleanor Roosevelt in her schoolyard, the words to "Hail to the Chief" and the cigar
Edward Creter
A guy author honors women and girls by extolling the All-American virtues of a possible woman president and dares little girls to dream Big American Dreams. There are responsibilities even in being a lady prez, but this book handles them with wit and charm worthy of the currently all-male Office of the Commanding Chief. Sarah and Hilary, read this book and learn! And remember, girls: ask not what your country can do for you: that's Beyoncé's job every time she checks the mirror!
Caroline DeDecker
May 04, 2016 Caroline DeDecker rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncsu-kids-lit, wow
This story follows the imagination of a young girl as she dreams what a day would look like if she were the President. She goes through a precious routine modified to her likes and dislikes and this book truly shows the power of imagination.

In my classroom I would read this story then have my students brainstorm and write down what they would do if they were President for a day. What would they change? What rules would they create? Who would they make their Vice President? Another way I would u
Amy Forrester
Mar 13, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Katy is here to tell you that the President of the United States has many duties. She imagines what it would be like to be Madam President as she goes about her day at school and at home. She vetoes tuna casserole at lunch, gives a press conference in class, and averts a disaster by cleaning her room. And, as she settles into her bed for the night, she’s very happy there’s a vice president to meet the ambassador from Freedonia.

Smith’s illustrations are full of funny details that mesh perfectly w
Traci Bold
May 12, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Lane Smith totally nailed what Presidency means to most kids which is really cool when you think about it. Kids know what's going on and they deal with in in their own way. This is how ideas get sparked and cared for and how kids become what they dream because they dare to dream it first.

This picture book by author/illustrator is loaded with humor. Published by DisneyHyperion.

#PB #President #dreams #humor
Christine Turner
A little girl imagines what her day would be like if she were Madam President . There would be executive orders to give, babies to kiss, tuna casseroles to veto (or VETO !) and so much more! Not to mention that recess would definitely require more security.

Subject: Presidents -- Juvenile fiction.
Sex role -- Juvenile fiction.
Humorous stories
Girls -- Juvenile fiction.

Dec 19, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Review posted 2/17/2012 at Owl Tell You About It.

Okay, this is cutest book. I loved it so much that when I finished it, I started all over again. I took my time the second way through, making sure to take in everything in the art. It’s so cute and conjured up a few giggles from me along the way.

I think this is defniitely a good one for your kiddies, especially if you want to teach them about the president and in job in a fun way. Or maybe you want to teach your daughter that women can take offic
Romelle
A story about a girl imagining herself as a President as she goes about her day. A linear plot line that starts out in the morning with MC reviewing her agenda and ends at bedtime, exhausted. Love the imagination and humor of this confident young gal.
Theresa
Aug 10, 2016 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, g-3-4, grade-2-3
The little girl dreams of becoming president. This tale is a fabulous introduction to the duties and responsibilities of our president. Catchy illustrations, fun word choice, a girl dreaming of becoming president. What's not to love.

Purchase!
Shelli
Jun 16, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A young girl envisions her life as president and all the obligations and privileges the job will hold. This book’s comical illustrations accompanied with simple yet witty text makes this a fantastic read aloud that would appeal to many ages.
Maggie Ignasiak
May 11, 2016 Maggie Ignasiak rated it liked it
I don't know how I would necessarily use this as a learning tool about the specific responsibilities of the president, but I loved the illustrations and liked the subtle nods to female influence on US political history and culture.
  • Big Plans
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • Grace for President
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • The Retired Kid
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
  • Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears
  • In a Blue Room
  • Testing Miss Malarkey
  • Snoring Beauty
  • How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A.
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • Buster Goes to Cowboy Camp
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners
  • Mail Harry to the Moon!
  • One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference
Smith was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but moved to Corona, California at a young age. He spent summers in Tulsa, however, and cites experiences there as inspirations for his work, saying that "[o]nce you've seen a 100-foot cement buffalo on top of a donut-stand (sic) in the middle of nowhere, you're never the same."

He studied art in college at the encouragement of his high school art teacher, helping
More about Lane Smith...