Start by marking “Guess How Much I Love You: Book and Little Nutbrown Hare” as Want to Read:
Guess How Much I Love You: Book and Little Nutbrown Hare

Guess How Much I Love You: Book and Little Nutbrown Hare (Little Nutbrown Hare)

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  104,388 Ratings  ·  1,280 Reviews
Pair one of the best-selling children’s books of all time with a cute and cuddly Little Nut Brown Hare beanbag doll, and you have the perfect way to say, "I love you to the moon and back!" Whether for devotees of GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU or complete newcomers, this winsome gift box will charm loved ones of all ages.
Board book, 20 pages
Published July 22nd 2002 by Candlewick (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Guess How Much I Love You, please sign up.

Tracy
Jun 27, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is THE best bedtime story, in my opinion. It was a nightly ritual for my first daughter, and it holds a very special place in our hearts. When it says that the dad bunny leans down and kisses the little one's head, Leah would always lean down and kiss the picture. The page became a little scummy from kiddie goo, and it's PRECIOUS! I will forever cherish my little girl's kisses in the book.
Suzanne
Jul 19, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Someone wanted a story before bed, but someone isn't listening. I wonder if that someone could be Indy boy? And I wonder if that was to put off going to bed?! Of course it is.

This is a great little book. One that is a physical story as we do the actions along with the little hare, and the big hare. Our arms stretched wide or high, to show the love. This is a good little book for my son as he does not sit still for a story, but as it's about what 'we' do at home ie., 'I love you to the moon and
Kelli
This is one of only three board books that continuously survive the purge because I simply can't bear to move it out. I see tiny, invisible handprints all over it, as it was a favorite of both of my children. I received this as a baby shower gift and have easily read it hundreds of times. That it is still occasionally requested at bedtime makes my heart happy. Beautifully illustrated, this story is so sweet that I have never been able to read the ending without a lump in my throat and a hitch in ...more
Chad
May 02, 2008 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fathers
One of the only books I can read to my daughter where the adult in the book is a male. Most of the books have no men or relegate the father to support-staff roles.

Having said that, the book is really a testosterone-fueled look at the competitive indoctrination of little boys.

Paraphrase of text:

Kid: I love you as million.

Dad: I love you a billion.

Kid: Can't you let me win once?

Dad: Only when you surpass my strength, then I will live vicariously through you.

Despite this shortcoming, the illustr
Katrina
Jun 17, 2012 Katrina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't the parent just let the kid win one? Even after kid falls asleep, the parent has to one-up the frustrated, exhausted child. Go pick on someone your own size!
G Miller
Feb 16, 2009 G Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay this is my favorite book in the whole wide world, so I was surprised to see the number of less than favorable reviews.

To the guy that thinks (and I use that word liberally) that this book is a allegory for socialism, really? I mean really???? Really?????

To everyone else that thinks this book is about a "game of one-upsmanship" or it has a "undercurrent of competition between the parent and the child", You guys could not be more wrong.

Is upsmanship even really a word?

This book is about the n
Mike Spinak
Nov 24, 2012 Mike Spinak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This may be my least favorite children's book that I've read to the kids. Even worse than the highly commercialized children's books devoid of any value which are made for nothing but the tie-ins to TV shows and toy sales. Guess How Much I Love You turns loving each other into a competition - and one where the child can never win against the parent. I like the idea of parent and child loving each other a lot, but this is so, so wrong of a way to communicate that theme. I found it unpleasant and ...more
Jamie
Sep 11, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Adorable. Little back and forth about who loves the other more.
Angela
Dec 15, 2009 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nice illustrations. But the tone of the book doesn't strike me as particularly nice. I've known people who always have to win, and they're generally not pleasant to be around. The father figure's need to get in the last word even after the son is asleep reminds me of those unpleasant people, and makes me want to avoid this book.
Mia Prasetya
Setiap ayah yang punya anak harus membaca buku ini! Sweet bahkan saat saya menceritakan inti cerita kepada ayah, sampai berkaca-kaca sendiri :p

Intinya tentang percakapan anak kelinci yang ingin memamerkan dirinya kepada sang ayah betapa ia mencintainya. Sang anak melompat. Cintaku sebesar lompatanku! Ayah melompat lebih tinggi. Anak tidak kehilangan akal ia membentangkan tangannya, eh ternyata tangan ayah lebih panjang juga. Begitu terus sampai malam menjelang dan sang anak selalu kalah. Akhirny
Emma
At risk of offending, I kind of really hate this smug Daddy trying to compete with his son the whole time. Why is it so important to him to show his son that he's bigger and more powerful (at loving, I know, I know, but the point stands) all the time? Just let the kid love you big and give him right back atcha. How frustrated that little nutbrown hare must feel. I think this is a book for parents not for children. And it's fucking sappy. However, Anita Jeram's illustrations are absolutely lovely ...more
Airiz C
A shot of insulin, please! Sam McBratney's Guess How Much I Love You has lots of saccharine in it—but not to a point it’s cloying, just something that a dreamland-bound kid would surely enjoy. See, there’s no plot of any kind, just a pair of adorable, furry hares (I think they’re father and son) engaging in an equally cute contest on who loves the other more. Anita Jeram’s illustrations are perfectly endearing. I heard there’s a collection of this, and kid or not—geez I just turned twenty!—I’ll ...more
Amber
Mar 03, 2008 Amber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK--I don't get this book. I just picked it up at a thrift store, feeling like Jackson is probably missing out on a major rite of passage if he doesn't read this as a toddler, but I don't get it. So the big nutbrown hare has to outdo the little nutbrown hare every time? It's a competition, is it? Sure, it's pretty and all, but someone needs to explain to me why this is a classic. Is my Mom card going to be revoked for saying that?
Ryan
Sep 23, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book to the moon and back. Also I love my mommy as much as the moon and back.
Kathryn
This is a sweet story where the big bunny (maybe a daddy bunny?--nice touch as there are relatively few books with dads) and the little bunny try to express how much they love one another. The ending phrase seemed a bit trite but perhaps it's because I have heard the phrase so much now, on everything from t-shirts to wall art, that it seems cliche. Not sure if this book was the first one to use it...?
Denine Benedetto
Jun 17, 2007 Denine Benedetto rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I HATE this book. What is the message? No matter what the little bunny tries to do, the father bunny has to one-better it. ARGH. I refuse to read this to my child anymore.
Mairi
Feb 15, 2014 Mairi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sinister tale of a dysfunctional father son relationship. In the intense family unit at the heart of this narrative, the natural bond of love between parent and offspring becomes twisted into a subject ripe for competition. This can only be described as a masterpiece of the misery memoir, meticulously detailing the pain of early childhood with narcissistic care givers.
Mikal O'Boyle
Sep 28, 2015 Mikal O'Boyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Guess How Much I Love You is a very simple and charming book. The illustrations are similar to Peter Rabbit and the short but sweet story is perfect for little babies who love a quick read. My little girl loves gazing at the illustrations!
Lea
Apr 22, 2010 Lea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Although I understand this is supposed to be a sweet story, the overall effect is of an adult trying to out-do a child in a way that comes across as creepy to me.
Taylor Robinson
Jan 02, 2016 Taylor Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
My mother used to read this to me a very long time ago, and I always loved it- something I will never forget.
Anke
Apr 01, 2012 Anke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated it that the parent always loved the child more...just stupid
Melinda Johnson
Dec 28, 2010 Melinda Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like this book. The parent figure is one-upping the child's expression of love. Not cool.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime, February 8th
Theme: Valentine's Day and Love

I love this book to the moon... and back. I would give it 6 stars if I could. I hug this book every time I read it.
Jun Nguyễn
A decent book.
Shannon
Dec 25, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best ever book me my mum and family can possibly read it is a really touchy book though especially for kids like me
Tara Mullan
Oct 20, 2011 Tara Mullan added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5-7 year olds
There was a little hare called Nut brown. He wanted to make sure that big Nutbrown hare was always listening to how much he loved him . Guess how much i love you he said, as big Nutbrown could not guess little nutbrown showed him as he stretched his arms out as wide as he could. Big nutbrown stretched his arms out longer showing how much he loved him. Little nutbrown wished he had arms that long.
So little Nutbrown stretched up high showing how much he loved big Nutbrown. Big Nutbrown did the sa
Nguyen Huy Tu Quan
Vô cùng đáng yêu và ngọt ngào xD
PurplyCookie
Little Nutbrown Hare, enjoying a ride on his Papa's back, wants to be sure that his father is listening--so he says, "Guess how much I love you!" the result is a sweet, lighthearted, loving banter as father and son strive to describe the size of their love for each other--thinking bigger and bigger as the book goes on! The father and son bounce off of each other and encourage each other to be increasingly imaginative. Big Nutbrown Hare is quietly amazed by his son's big thinking and his counter ...more
Jessica Cain
Dec 09, 2014 Jessica Cain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary and Critique:
This book was about big nutbrown hare and little nutbrown hare. They are father and son. When little nutbrown asks big nutbrown "Guess how much i love you?" they go through large measures to tell each other how much they love each other. The story is short and simple but i love how they are competing on who loves each other more, it really shows an awesome loving relationship between the two.

Classroom Use: I would do a writing assignment (short one for young students) to wr
Liam Mernagh
‘Guess How Much I Love You’ is an illustrated book written by Sam McBratney about two Nutbrown hares, little Nutbrown Hare and Big Nutbrown Hare. Little Nutbrown Hare poses the intriguing question to Big Nutbrown Hare, ‘Guess how much I love you.’ This results in the two hares using larger and larger measures to assert how much they love each other. This is a great read for all children ranging from 2 to 8. This book can be read as a reading exercise for some children in class with teachers but ...more
http://www.muscle4power.com/testabolan-cyp/ 1 2 Dec 20, 2016 10:20PM
  • Time for Bed
  • The Very Lonely Firefly
  • Bear Snores On
  • The Napping House
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • Bunny My Honey
  • Kiss Good Night
The Northern Ireland native started writing children's books when he was a teacher in his thirties, with the aim of helping out students who had trouble reading. But he continued writing for a more-personal reason: "the act of imagining simply makes me feel good," he says. The fifty-seventh book of Sam McBratney's career, and his first book with Candlewick Press, was the much-loved GUESS HOW MUCH ...more
More about Sam McBratney...

Little Nutbrown Hare (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • I Love It When You Smile
  • When I'm Big: A Guess How Much I Love You Storybook
  • Guess How Much I Love You All Year Round
  • The Adventures of Little Nutbrown Hare
  • My Baby Book: Based on Guess How Much I Love You
  • Colors Everywhere (Guess How Much I Love You)
  • Let's Play in the Snow: A Guess How Much I Love You Storybook