Start by marking “Matters of Honor: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Matters of Honor: A Novel

Matters of Honor: A Novel

“Terrifically intelligent, moving, and entertaining.”
–The New York Sun

“With snappy dialogue [and] intelligent prose . . . Begley paints a memorable portrait of lasting friendship and of the strength required to step outside of the expectations that surround each of us.”
–Rocky Mountain News

At the beginning of the 1950s, three disparate young men are thrown together as roomm
Published January 29th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2007)

William Koon
Louis Begley writes, sometimes –many times—about the same things: upper class Americans in moral situations. He does so again in Matters of Honor. Here we follow five people from Harvard (and Radcliffe) from the late forties to some kind of end for three of them. Along the way he writes probably the most interesting novel ever created about property law. Throw in some holocaust material, some coming of age sex in the ‘fifties, and a scintillating international scene and you have quite a book. In ...more
Andy Miller
This novel begins in the early 50s with the narrator meeting his two roommates in his freshman year at Harvard and ends with two of the survivors in their seventies. Despite the time span, the book never really leaves Harvard. One of the narrator's roommates is Henry, a Jew from Poland who survived the Holocaust by hiding in a friend's room for two years--much of the book deals with his assimilation into WASPish society, the discrimination he often faced and the eventual consequences.

Interesting
Sally
Jul 26, 2011 Sally rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm I liked reading about what going to Harvard was like in the 50's, but the main characters were a bunch of New York intelligentsia snobs who thought they were above being snobby, which made them even more snobby... rather depressing. It seems like it was somewhat in imitation of a Robertson Davies book, what with the intellectual old man reflecting too much on others lives because he's lonely and got nothing else to do, only not nearly as good.
Ron Charles
Dec 23, 2013 Ron Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Either one of Louis Begley's careers would be an extraordinary accomplishment. As a partner at a New York law firm, he maneuvered giant deals through the treacherous landscape of overlapping European legal systems. And as the author of eight novels, he has won wide critical acclaim, been nominated for a National Book Award and served as president of the PEN American Center. Much of his fiction -- beginning with his first novel, Wartime Lies, published in 1991 when he was 57 -- has been marked by ...more
Terrie Purkey
Nov 27, 2016 Terrie Purkey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Inane. Didn't finish.......
Edith
Aug 03, 2011 Edith rated it really liked it
Most of the story is set in Harvard, but it’s less about college life than it is about the search of identity and life-long friendship.
Early in the 1950s the three protagonists first meet when they move into the same suite of the college dormitory. Sam Standish – the narrator – is the son of an old New England family who hasn’t yet come to terms with the rather recent discovery that he had been adopted as a baby by his parents who belong to an impoverished branch of the Standishes and who are s
Ferris
Jun 29, 2012 Ferris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 Summer Sub Club read with Beth.....This is a sleeper of a novel. On the surface it is simply a tale of four post-WWII Harvard freshmen and their coming of age with typical life struggles in the arenas of career, family, and relationships. However, Begley's writing subtly draws the reader into a much bigger theme which is self-invention and re-invention. We meet Sam, our narrator whose parents were not up to snuff by many standards. We meet Archie, who is a burgeoning alcoholic who refuses to ...more
Diane
Aug 03, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows three young men who are college roommates at Harvard during the early 1950s. One is from an old New England family, but has conflict with his parents. Another is a Jewish refugee from Poland, trying to fit in to a largely gentile society at Harvard. The third is from a military family, and has traveled around throughout his life.

The characters were interesting and well-written, and the book provided interesting insight into the world of upper-class New England in the 1950s. It
Don
Mar 23, 2008 Don rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Louis Begley I've read.

The book begins in the mid-50's, at Harvard, and, as a novel, it's really a bit old fashioned.

The story centers on Henry White, a Polish Jewish immigrant who goes to Harvard, and his efforts to adopt the prevailing WASP culture of Harvard. It follows White and his roommates and friends through the years.
Jeni
Feb 08, 2009 Jeni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book- the time period was kind of interesting, following three guys from post-WWII Harvard to present day. I liked the characters, but I rated it a 3 because it was kind of slow reading. More like a 3 1/2. I am interested in trying out more of this author's books.
Julie [Kaskade]
Apr 11, 2008 Julie [Kaskade] rated it liked it
If you don't mind time moving around oddly, [mainly large jumps ahead in time with no/little explanations] then this is worth the read. I felt tied in to some of the characters, and intrigued by most of them. Worth reading.
Valerie
Jun 29, 2008 Valerie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Flat story with flat characters: Polish Jew goes to Harvard in 50s, excels as a lawyer, then drops out.
Marilyn
Jul 03, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty interesting until the last few chapters. The ending made no sense to me--I expected a lot more.
Nancy
Dec 31, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book for about 3/4. Then it got a little bogged down. And I still have a couple of questions. Foremost, who were Sam,s real parents? Was he gay?
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2011
Jebu
Jebu rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Kristian
Kristian rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Marcel Hugo
Marcel Hugo rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Stephan
Stephan rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Mr. Barry Koski
Feb 09, 2016 Mr. Barry Koski rated it liked it

Well written but I was slightly disappointed.
Grumpy
Grumpy rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Laura Keller
Laura Keller rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Squirrel
Squirrel rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Jzarah
Jzarah rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Osa
Osa rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2013
  • Lenin Lives Next Door: Marriage, Martinis, and Mayhem in Moscow
  • The Dogs of Winter
  • Jenny
  • None to Accompany Me
Louis Begley is an American novelist.

Begley was born Ludwik Begleiter in Stryi at the time part of Poland and now in Ukraine, as the only child of a physician. He is a survivor of the Holocaust due to the multiple purchases of Aryan papers by his mother and constant evasion of the Nazis. They survived by pretending to be Polish Catholic. The family left Poland in the fall of 1946 and settled in N
More about Louis Begley...