The Bear Under the Stairs Mini Treasure

The Bear Under the Stairs Mini Treasure

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Winner of the Young Judges’ Award for Smarties Prize 1993.

Only William knows about the big great bear living under the stairs. He’s sure he saw one lurking there. This beautifully illustrated book dealing with childhood fears is wonderfully poetic and reassuring.
Published January 10th 2003 by Corgi (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Bear Under the Stairs Mini Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bear Under the Stairs Mini Treasure

Rosa
They don't ever actually see the bear under the stairs, but I think the boy is right. There really is a bear under their stairs, and he's hiding behind the door!
Rebecca Brown
This book is a short story about a boy who believes there is a big brown grizzly bear living under the stairs in his house. He is scared of the bear and is made to face his fear when his mother decides to clean under the stairs…

I think this is such lovely book about a little boy’s imagination. I love the illustrations; they are soft and subtle but also quite dark and eerie. I found the story quite touching as it really plays on the little boy’s innocence and fear. This story is something a lot o...more
Nafis
The bear under the stairs is centred around a boy named William whom having one day seen a furry figure inside the cellar believes that there is a bear living under his stairs. William fears that if the bear goes hungry, then he may decide to eat William. As a result, William decides to feed the bear a wide range of food in order to appease its appetite. Eventually the remains of the food let’s of a stench that the rest of the household can smell, when Williams mother decides to investigate they...more
Ece
This was a story that we read with my reception class. It is about a young boy who is certain there is a bear that lives under the stairs. He is scared of this bear, then eventually goes to look under the stairs with his mother to find there is no bear. Although the book is full of beautiful (sometimes scary) illustrations and visual descriptions, I thought it was a very difficult story for young children to make sense of. I acknowledge the fact that it may relate to some children's fears of dar...more
Rachel Tackett
Erin
The Bear Under the Stairs is about a young boy who believes there’s a bear living in the storage closet beneath the stairs. Fearing the bear will want to eat him if he gets hungry, William brings the bear food every day, tossing it in quickly with his eyes shut tight. Eventually a stench begins to waft out of the place under the stairs and William’s “bear” is discovered. This is a very relatable tale about a child’s imagination and fears, told through subtle rhyming text and detailed illustratio...more
Best_books
Kids love it. I love it.
Randie
William is scared of two things, bears and the space under the stairs. So, when he spots a bear in the space under the stairs he is frightened. The bear is hungry and William feeds him every day so that he won't become the bear's meal. The space under the stairs begins to smell, so William and his mother must figure our how to approach the scary bear.

I loved the illustrations and the flow/pattern of the text.
Joanna
Poor William thinks he saw a bear under the stairs, and he figures he can keep it happy by feeding it regularly. Helen Cooper does a wonderful job of portraying a young child's fears in a lilting rhyming verse that keeps the story light. And Mom makes a great rescuer!
Erin
This was my favorite book when I was little, and I'll always keep a copy of it on my bookshelf. The rhyming is fun and the illustrations adorable, definitely a book that I'll be reading to my own children in the future.
Dianne Norberg
Good rhyming book. I think the book adds surprise at the end for children. All along, it is not a bear, but a rug that looks like a bear. It is cute and clever.
Amy
I love love LOVE the illustrations in this! And in the mini format it's great to carry around in a bag...
Isoken
A story about childhood fears which are reassuringly conquered with parental help.
Elizabeth S
Cute, simple, beautiful. I loved this charming story and the illustrations.
Robyn
Another clever book with fun illustrations. I enjoyed reading this book with N.
Alice Moore
My favorite children's book of all time.
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Debs Hunt
Debs Hunt marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See here for more details
More about Helen Cooper...
Pumpkin Soup Alpha Billionaire, Part II (Alpha Billionaire, #2) Delicious! A Pipkin of Pepper Dog Biscuit