Start by marking “God on Trial: Dispatches from America's Religious Battlefields” as Want to Read:
God on Trial: Dispatches from America's Religious Battlefields

God on Trial: Dispatches from America's Religious Battlefields

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  17 reviews
An in-depth look at five recent landmark court battles over the separation of church and state

Over the past two decades, federal courts have become contentious battlefields in America�s growing religious wars. Since 1989, five momentous court cases have divided communities�and the nation. Peter Irons, a noted constitutional scholar, lawyer, and author of the bestselling
Published May 17th 2007 by Viking Adult (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about God on Trial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God on Trial

Jennie
This book dives into some of the bigger court cases dwelling on the First Amendments Establishment Clause, more commonly known as, the separation of church and state. This issue is very dear to my heart so I read this book with great interest! In addition to details about each case, the motives behind both sides and the details on the entire case movement from court-to-court, the book also included personal reflections written by the main participants from both sides of each case.

I found this bo
Sabrina
This book helped me think about society in a different way. In fact, it left me asking myself more questions than it answered. I appreciated the attempt at neutrality by the other, but it is definitely slanted liberal, but not overly so. I appreciated being able to hear from someone on each side of the case. It helped me to see why they thought they were doing the right thing. Funny thing is that some of the people were so sure of their side, that they didn't even see the hate in their statement ...more
Brandon
Having read parts of this for a law class, I decided it was time to go back and read the rest of it.

While I found it informative on the cases presented, I thought the writing was rather mundane. Luckily, I enjoy reading about this sort of thing and could handle the rather bland writing.

I was a little put off by the fact that the author said he used a lot of internet resources, but I find the book to be a good introduction into the subject rather than the be all and end all. He also said he did
Amber
I read this book for my foundations in education class at UGA. The book discusses several large religious cases that have an impact in the classroom as well as many important landmarks. It was interesting to learn the history behind monuments and cases that impacted history. However, the chapters were very long and it would have probably been better to simply read segments of the book rather than the entire book. I think it is a good book for educators to have to know why certain laws have come ...more
Bill
This is a well-written book by an author who is new to me. He takes the reader through a number of well known court cases that involve religion in America, basically struggling with the separation of church and state. In addition to simple descriptions of the motions, verdicts, appeals and the legal process, he describes the people involved and how these struggles have affected them. This should be worth reading by those who are interested in the law but also those who take their freedoms seriou ...more
Stephen
An interesting read regarding religion and politics and how both have impacted our everyday lives. The author does a pretty good job of presenting unbiased information on how both sides fought for their cause and how many of the resulting decisions were made. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in politics or religion.
Rachel
So far I really love the fact that Irons includes the perspective from a major player at ghe end of his court summaries on both sides of each of the conflicts. May religious and ideological freedom reign! And may freedom of speech always be our most fundamental right. The trouble is when these two sets of ideals collide.
Rachel
Amazing book--It was really eye opening for me, who grew up in a culture that mourns the decline of "America as a Christian nation". Many of the cases highlighted in this book demonstrate the horrible things "Christian" people have done in the name of God, even in the US in the last hundred years. A really fascinating history.
Bob
At bottom this is a legal history of constitutional freedom of religion and establishment clause cases, but what could be a dry recitation takes on life as it is told in a conversational style with interviews with the litigants. This is a superb story both for lawyers and laymen.
(a)lyss(a)
Mostly reading it to get through the course, but it's been an interesting read. I don't care to know so much about specific lawyers, but it's good to know where they're coming from and what these groups support.
David
Good mix of the legal and the personal, as Irons does well. But reading some of the statements of those in favor of mixing religion and government... as Atrios would say, "The stupid, it burns!"
Teakraken
Extremely accessible history of the separation of church and state in the United States with discussion of landmark cases from recent times. I couldn't put it down.
David Melbie
Aug 30, 2011 David Melbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Americans!
Recommended to David by: Picked from library
I like the way this book is put together; first, the author describes the case, then the opposing viewpoints have their say. A very riveting read indeed!
Q
A good follow up to the book "40 Days and 40 Nights" --- focuses on major separation of church cases that went to the Supreme Court.
Rose
Dry like toast. I was disappointed that he left out the "breathtaking inanity" quote from the Kitzmiller v. Dover decision.
Scott
An interesting report of the people involved in recent First Amendment cases, and the issues as they saw them.
Currently reading (and enjoying) for my Religious Studies seminar.
Zach Baer
Zach Baer marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
J M
J M marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
PJ Brackett
PJ Brackett marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
John Lamberth
John Lamberth marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Great Book! 1 1 Mar 21, 2013 11:29PM
A People's History of the Supreme Court: The Men and Women Whose Cases and Decisions Have Shaped Our Constitution The Courage of Their Convictions: Sixteen Americans Who Fought Their Way to the Supreme Court Jim Crow's Children: The Broken Promise of the Brown Decision May It Please the Court: Live Recordings and Transcripts of the Supreme Court in Session [With Cassette] May It Please the Court