The Beginning (FBI Thriller, #1 and #2)

The Beginning (FBI Thriller #1-2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  582 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The Cove and The Maze, the first two thrillers in the FBI series, for the first time together in one volume.

In these exciting novels of intrigue and suspense, readers are introduced to Special Agents Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock-and they'll watch the sparks fly as the agents' relationship heats up amid cases that could destroy everything they hold dear.

The Cove-In t...more
Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Published September 6th 2005 by Berkley Trade

Wendy
Jun 20, 2012 Wendy added it
Recommends it for: Nobody!
No no no! Don't make me read any more. I didn't actually finish reading this book but I need to share my horror. The writing is so terrible. It's like she is writing to morons who can't remember a character's name. I got to page 79 and probably heard the name "Thelma Nettro" 40 times. Really? People can't remember that Thelma is Thelma Nettro? And she does it with all the other characters too! Nobody can just go by a first name. Also, the characters explain their entire background to everyone wh...more
Stacey
This book combines the first two FBI Thriller books, The Cove and The Maze.

I didn't much care for The Cove. It was far too confusing. Within the first 5 pages there are dozens of characters, the main character being called two different names - which made no sense, and an endless string of confusing events. It wasn't until around page 200 that the book started explaining itself. I realize the author was probably trying to get you to feel some of the main character Sally/Susan's confusion, but i...more
Merredith
Sep 08, 2010 Merredith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
The beginning is really 2 books in one, the first two books of the FBI series. In the two books we meet two agent best friends and their wives (a political aide and another agent). I have to say, both of those women have very messed up families. Both stories were fast paced and kept me guessing the whole time. Real page turners. I just gulped down this large book! (good thing I had a long weekend to do it!). I also loved that in the second part, whenever they were stresseed, they'd say 'let's go...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Two books in one. The Cove and The Maze, book 1 and book 2 in the FBI Thriller series. The Cove started off pretty good and caught my attention but then the heroine got TSTL and the story fell apart on me. It took on a rather juvenile tone. There were a few times I felt the characters didn't behave as I'd expect adults to behave. I didn't feel the plot held up either. The Maze started rough for me. I almost didn't finish it. Again the plot had some holes but it did get a little better and I was...more
Elyse
OK, now it's making more sense of the much-later volume in this series that I read a few years ago. A fun yarn with some strong female characters. I will read more in the series.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Overall the 2 stories in this book were ok.......Maybe i'll read other stories in the series but I am in no rush to do so right now.
Jackie
Two books in one... great! Catherine Coulter seems to have a formula for her books... at least the three that I've read so far. These two books were an easy read, and it's nice to see characters that carry through more than one novel. However, reading a few of her books in a row causes her books to seem predictable. I loved this one so much, that when I picked up a different one, I was a little disappointed that the layout was similar to the first two. Great mystery though.
Kerri Chiaramonte
Finished Book 1 June 23, 2013
Unbelievably weird book! Weirdly written! Weird story...and yet the 17th book in this series has been published! Since I purchased a combo pack with books 1 & 2, I will persevere! Whether I make it to book 17 remains to be seen. They will have to get much better in order for that to happen!
Marie
I am always looking for new authors to read. I am certainly glad I picked this book. She certainly knows how to keep you interested from the first to the last page. I stayed up all night just to finish this book and immediately went online to order more of this series.
Christopher King
I've been putting off reading this book for a while. For some reason I thought it was strictly romance, and was pleased that it turned out to be that and more.

The "thriller" aspect though of both stories leave a lot to be desired. Mostly smoke with little substance
Wendy
This was her first FBI thriller ("The Cove") -- glad I read later books of hers first or I would not have picked her up again. Not a bad plot line but not very well written, and I thought there was a lot of sappy, ridiculous rabbit trails.
Dotti Elrick
The Beginning is the first two books in Catherine Coulter's FBI series. The Cove and the Maze. I loved them both. The Maze is my absolute favorite of the entire series. They are a bit mystery, a bit thriller and a little bit romance.
Mary
For a romance novelist, Catherine Coulter's FBI thrillers are terrific reads. This book tells both the stories of Lacey Sherlock and Dillon Savich. From THE BEGINNING, the rest of her FBI thrillers are fast-paced and fun to read.
Michelle
2 stars for the first story and 2.5 for the second. I'm just not a fan of the stories themselves or the writing style. Oh well. At least I tried a new author. And I have been meaning to read her for awhile. Now I can say I have.
Sherry
Read it once before but am reading OT again on my Kindle. Very elementary writing and unreal dialog. Guess I read it again because i didn't remember the end. Two stories in one book.
Anne
Excellent book. I really enjoyed this which is a compilation of the first two FBI books by Coulter. I will be reading more of them.
Joy
Fairly terrible and predictable romantic-suspense novels, but I have to admit I enjoyed them as brainless airport reading. YMMV.
Tammi Whitcomb
Meh. I'd read #3 if I was bored and out of other books to read but they were pretty lame. At least I finished them!
T.M. Carper
Two fast paced mysteries with lively characters and the perfect dose of suspense.
Karen
Great series. I always try to find out when her next book in this series will be out.
Batya
No big deal of a thriller. I may pick up another paperback.
Tiffani Hacking
if you like mystery and suspense then you will like this book
Gloria Rohde
The Cove & The Maze in one book - first two FBI Thrillers.
I have read the Cove, just started on The Maze
Gerri
It was very good. Light reading with humor.
Allison
I guess I'm just a sucker for the romance.
Lin
Lin marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jul 20, 2014
  • Impulse
  • Twilight Begins (Wings in the Night, #1 & 2)
  • The Notorious Lord (Mills and Boon Historical, #897) (Harlequin Historical Series, #759)
  • Star Flight
  • The Angel (Ireland, # 2)
  • Last Breath (Last #3)
  • Gift of Fire (Gift, #2)
  • Orchard Valley Grooms: Valerie\Stephanie
  • The Princess (Bride Quest, #1)
  • Apocalypse Island
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Unforgivable (Romantic Suspense)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)