Start by marking “Montgomery White Sulphur Springs: A History of the Resort, Hospital, Cemeteries, Markers, and Monument” as Want to Read:

This history of the resort describes in detail its use as a Confederate hospital and the people -- nuns, doctors, soldiers, and others -- who lived there. Dorothy Bodell writes about one of Virginia's most elegant mineral springs resorts -- its time as a hospital during the Civil War, its hey-day of fun and frolic after the war, and who came there to frolic, its decline ...more
Published July 1st 1993 by Pocahontas Press

To ask other readers questions about Montgomery White Sulphur Springs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Montgomery White Sulphur Springs

Robin Howell
Jun 09, 2015 Robin Howell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History buffs, Civil War buffs
This is a wonderful historical book. I have lived in this area all my life and NEVER KNEW that this spring even existed. There are several springs in the area and some I thought were the same, just different names and others, like White Sulphur, I have never known or heard about, not something they teach in school.

I am so glad that our library had this book out on display along with other books that are about the history of the county I live in.

If you like history, civil war buff or just like a
Jerry
Jan 06, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
This is a good little book that gives an adequate history of the resort and Confederate hospital. Objective and well researched, it has helped add to the knowledge of my family history as one of my ancestors is a Confederate soldier who died in the hospital there and is presumably buried in the nearby cemetery. I recommend this book as a good example of how a local historian can help preserve the history of an obscure, but important, cultural institution.
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2012
Melissa Clement
Melissa Clement marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jeri Martin
Jeri Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016