Start by marking “Women of Algiers in Their Apartment” as Want to Read:
Women of Algiers in Their Apartment

Women of Algiers in Their Apartment

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The cloth edition of Assia Djebar's Women of Algiers in Their Apartment, her first work to be published in English, was named by the American Literary Translators Association as an ALTA Outstanding Translation of the Year. Now available in paperback, this collection of three long stories, three short ones, and a theoretical postface by one of North Africa's leading writers ...more
Published July 29th 1999 by University of Virginia Press (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Women of Algiers in Their Apartment, please sign up.

Samantha I think the fact that the Algerian culture is so unknown is what adds most of the ambiguity. We're getting a glance inside a culture we've heard…moreI think the fact that the Algerian culture is so unknown is what adds most of the ambiguity. We're getting a glance inside a culture we've heard about, yet it's so different from how we perceived it. I think the purpose of the novel is to remove the ambiguity surrounding the culture while demonstrating that these men and women are just like us in a way. They suffer, they love, they hurt. They have entire lives we've never really heard about. This book is the first time I've read anything about Algerian culture and it's been eye opening.

I also think that the violence in the novel adds tension and ambiguity. They never really show you the violence that's happening, but it's alluded to often and you see the aftermaths of it through the characters perspectives. People they love/know have died, their homes have been taken. Many of the women want freedom, and they want to return to their homeland. (less)

The title of this collection refers to a painting by Eugene Delacroix, which was allegedly inspired by a brief visit inside the harem of a home in Morocco. The painting and the stories in this collection depict the emotional and intellectual state of women hidden within walls and the veil. It is also a collection comprised of haunting, evocative prose which stirs the deepest aspect of the reader's self. The yearnings, fears, coping mechanisms, faith, belief, and suffering of the women in these s ...more
Well, this is a book that deals with so many issues – feminism, language, nationalism, colonialism, history and place, and how all of these are inter-related. Basically, too much for me to handle without writing some sort of thesis-length paper (and I am sure there are people who have written theses on this book, right Jamila ;)), so I will apologise in advance if this review is partial (in the sense of not enough). Also, I feel like I need to apologise for attempting to write on this book witho ...more
Jun 25, 2010 Jenn added it
I think about this book a is sort of weird and random that I think about this book a lot, but I do.
Victor Lopez
For a long time now, the Western world has seen Arab countries as being this magical place of genies, women who are only there to be sexed, they have basically placed the many countries under their own, man made, veil. This allows for Western leaders to point to Arab countries and say, “Look there, we treat our women so much better.” Those folks point to the “other” to make themselves look better. Those who want to look deeper and think more globally, will turn to novels such as this to leaven t ...more
The ambiguity of the Algerian culture was what made this book so interesting for me. We gain insight into a world we've only ever heard about. We see through the eyes of the oppressed, the silenced, the veiled. We see their triumphs, failures. Their suffering. Each short story was unique and provided a different viewpoint. I wouldn't say this book was fun to read, but it was educational and interesting. I found myself unable and unwilling to put it down. I felt compelled to keep reading until th ...more
I am a fan and a champion of francophone literature from Africa, particularly Magrebine stories by women in Algeria, Morocco, or Tunisia written either during or after the French colonial period. Assia Djebar is probably the best-known and respected francophone woman author of Algerian origin, although, fortunately, the list of wonderful Magrebine woman writers grows longer every year. (Some write in French and some in Arabic; Djebar's novels are all available in English translation as are more ...more
The short stories are written in an impressionistic style, at times seeming more like poems in the rhythm and mystery of the language. A very interesting voice of an Algerian woman living in France. The Algerian fight for independence is a backdrop for her stories. This collection also includes an essay about the Delacroix painting and an interview with the author by the editor.
Meh. I thinkI needed to know more about the Algerian culture and its history to really appreciate this. It didn't help that I had the most monotone lecturer of my life for this text either. I enjoyed fragments but I felt confused way too much.
The book is composed by some short-medium lenght novels that focus on women in the times of Algerian independence. Yet, the characters are common women, having common lifes and common problems. Most is about their thoughts and sadness and the same feelings could be applied to many women worldwide. The result is a deeply realistic book, to whom people can relate and recognise the character feelings as human ones.
I think that Djebar has an interesting point of view and worthwhile things to say. But I either should not have read this in translation or it is just too...postmodern for me.

11/2015: Can't believe I read this six years ago. Almost seven! My strongest memory is of one of the stories where women go to the baths.
I liked that this book was a collection of short stories but they told a greater story as a whole. I also liked the literary essay at the end by Dejebar in it we even get another short stroy. A great tale of the oppression and strength of the women of Algiers.
Greg Fanoe
There was some good stuff here, but it was mostly just pretty boring. I'd be willing to believe this is just a bad translation, if somebody were to argue in favor of Ms. Djebar, but there's not much in here to recommend.
Luna Selene
The stories in Women of Algiers in Their Apartment are deeply metaphorical and written in a beautiful, poetic stream of consciousness that may at times be hard to follow, but are well worth the read.
2015 Reading Challenge: a book by an author you've never read before.
it's a collection of stories. i liked some more than others.
it's a collection of stories. i liked some more than others.
Beautiful and heartbreaking
Rosie Pringle
Rosie Pringle marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Lisa is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2015
Marie-Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Jacob Wren
Jacob Wren marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Story Lover X
Story Lover X marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Kavitha Rath
Kavitha Rath marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • Nedjma
  • Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits
  • Lyrics Alley
  • Emplumada (Pitt Poetry Series)
  • The Book of Happiness
  • In the Name of God
  • The Sand Child
  • Some Dream for Fools
  • The Palm-Wine Drinkard & My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
  • God Dies by the Nile
  • God's Bits of Wood
  • By the Sea
(the pen name of Fatma-Zohra Imalhayene)
أسيا جبار
Assia Djebar was born in Algeria to parents from the Berkani tribe of Dahra. She adopted the pen name Assia Djebar when her first novel, La Soif (Hunger) was published in 1957, in France where she was studying at the Sorbonne.

In 1958, she travelled to Tunis, where she worked as a reporter alongside Frantz Fanon, travelling to Algerian refugee camp
More about Assia Djebar...