Start by marking “The Midnight Farm” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Farm

The Midnight Farm

Secrets of the dark are revealed in this poem describing a farm at midnight.
Published September 1st 1995 by Puffin Books (first published September 30th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Farm

Kathryn
A mother takes her young son around their farm at night in this gentle counting book. (I took it as maybe he was having trouble sleeping? But seeing the familiar farm sites and animals under the moonlight helped him feel better/less afraid.) The rhymes are quite uneven but the story itself is so sweet and such a lovely idea I was forgiving and Jeffers' lovely illustrations really do make this worth checking out. My favorite is the mother snuggling her son on an old stone wall while looking out a ...more
Susan
Jan 18, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp

Poor Reeve Lindbergh. She was doing a breakfast author reading a long while back at an Inn in Norwalk, Ct and was signing books afterwards. Everyone had these nice fresh copies of a variety of her books. I had this one, a hardcover with a mangled spine where the dog chewed it, worn down, taped up pages, book jacket long gone. She was very gracious about signing it to my children as I explained it was one of their favorite books...
midnightfaerie
Jul 24, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We got a themed box of books from the library about Farms and this was one of the books. Really enjoyed the illustrations in this one. Big beautiful pictures with soft colors and lots of detail, it was a book both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds could get into. I myself enjoyed the rhyming and unusual rhythm of the prose so that it ended up being a book the whole family appreciated.
Jen Goeden
Mar 02, 2010 Jen Goeden rated it liked it
The story The Midnight Farm is about what a young child and her mother see in the dark around the farm.

The book The Midnight Farm that I read is a paperback but has characteristic like a hardcover. Right when you open the book there is a cover page. The only thing on the cover page is the title, no author or anything else. Next are two full pages of just pictures. After this page there is another title page, which has the title author name, and a picture. The picture is of a farm during the day
Taylor Troncin
Jun 12, 2013 Taylor Troncin rated it really liked it
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

I remember this book from when I was younger. Wesley really enjoyed the book too.

***
I think I enjoyed the book now that I am older - I paid more attention to the beautiful artwork this time as opposed to when I was younger.
Debra
Feb 06, 2012 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like a poem
helps calm "dark" fears
very beautiful "paintings" in this book
farms and farm animals
my copy is autographed by the illustrator, Susan Jeffers
Nice read aloud for pre-k and K students
Emma Hoyer
May 14, 2015 Emma Hoyer rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are BEAUTIFUL! Also, what a clever idea for helping children get over their fear of the dark.
Fiona Endsley
Sep 12, 2010 Fiona Endsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was a sweet book! Great for assuring small children that the world is the same in the dark as in day light:)
Shannon
Jul 19, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book. My mum used to read this to me when I was younger. Will definitely be reading it to my children and It will be passed down the line.
Lynna
I adore this book! The illistration are incredible! This is a great book to read to kids who are afraid of the dark! You along with your child can find beauty in the night!
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
Kathleen Hedrick
Kathleen Hedrick rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Meghan Maseman
Meghan Maseman rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Cjay
Cjay rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Janice
Nov 07, 2008 Janice rated it really liked it
Shelves: sierra-s-books
This may be a great way to help children with "being afraid of the dark", problems.
katnick
katnick rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Author
Author rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Leslie Kitchin
Leslie Kitchin rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2009
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2009
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2009
Alissa Jelke
Alissa Jelke rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2013
John
John rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2010
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2012
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Children's author, novelist, and poet Reeve Lindbergh is the daughter of world-renowned aviator Charles Lindbergh and his wife, the talented writer Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
More about Reeve Lindbergh...