Start by marking “Father Brown Stories (Penguin Popular Classics)” as Want to Read:
Father Brown Stories (Penguin Popular Classics)

Father Brown Stories (Father Brown)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Features the amateur sleuth Father Brown's whose cherubic face and unworldly simplicity, his glasses and his huge umbrella, disguise a quite uncanny understanding of the criminal mind at work. This edition includes seven tales from a number of 'Father Brown' books.
Published November 28th 2002 by Penguin Books (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Father Brown Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father Brown Stories

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Best Literary Mysteries
211th out of 835 books — 1,847 voters
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Initial Success
95th out of 291 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan-Maat
I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the edition of Father Brown stories that I read.

Anyhow I came to them after reading Sherlock Holmes. The Father Brown stories are rather similar in that the character of the detective is hugely important and each story is a free standing puzzle that the hero-detective resolves. The problem is that as far as I can remember the Sherlock Holmes puzzles are simply better thought through.

For example in one Father Brown story an Anglican priest murders the adulterous v
Catherine
When I scanned the barcode from the copy I read I was directed to a complete collection, whereas the Wordsworth classics paperback, like the Penguin, has a selection ... and a rather similar cover, so I've picked this as best match.

Anyway. I'm fairly certain I read some of these via Mum, a great Chesterton fan, when I was much younger but I have no recollection of the eponymous detective or any of the plots. Father Brown seems to have two uncanny abilities: to be in the right place at the right
Andrea
These are truly delightful stories, particularly the ones from Chesterton's first collection -- no accident then that they form the bulk of this collection. There is something I just absolutely love about Chesterton's prose, his lurid descriptions of landscapes that set the scene with mountains f glorious adjectives. His sense of humour too, I remember while reading it I kept jogging my partner's elbow and showing him phrases I particularly enjoyed or that made me laugh -- not something I am usu ...more
Lauri
Päris kobe vana hea inglise kriminaaljuttude kogumik, ajastule vastavalt paljusõnaliselt ja ohtra moraalilugemise saatel kirja pandud, kuid olemuselt siiski mõnus ja turvaline lugeda.
Tegelikult võiks seda isa Browni eesti keeles rohkemgi olla, Chestertonil on teda tervelt 55 jutu ja 5 kogumiku jagu, eesti keeles (selle kogumiku ja igivana Loomingu Raamatukogu peale kokku) hädised 15, ehks siis ainult veidike rohkem kui veerand...
Lynne-marie
Father Brown had been there in the shadows all my reading life, either by living reference or by literary reference, so I decided to take the bull by the horns and read a collection of him. He is indeed charming and idiosyncratic. True to his period, his stories move slowly, which makes them a fine panacea when you need to drop off to sleep quickly. But don't dismiss his true originality and sharp-wittedness in the slow-moving plots. After all, pace is only one part of the quartet of what make u ...more
Rebecca
The prose is god-awful; there is way too much explaining, way too many adjectives; the mysteries are--well--sort of mysterious.

And yet--I have a weakness for period detective stories, especially those containing WORLD FAMOUS DETECTIVES, and I kind of enjoy the absurdity of it all. For example:

"Over the black pinewood came flying and flashing in the moon a naked sword--such a slender and sparkling rapier as may have fought many an unjust duel in that ancient park. It fell on the pathway far in fr
Thomas Arvanitis
A collection of short stories about Father Brown, an affable priest with a knack for mysteries. Although The mysteries themselves were more or less predictable (with a couple of exceptions), there were character developments in the first four stories that took me completely by surprise, which is a major asset. Another major asset is the use of language and the slightly ironic tone the writer employs, with a subtle sense of humour even under tragic circumstances.
Lisa Findley
My grandmother gave me this book after college, and seven years later, I finally gave it a try. The Father Brown stories are delightful! I even solved some of the mysteries before the other characters, which I am usually unable to do. I think this just means the mysteries aren't generally that complex, but I'll take it. Chesterton uses Brown not as a preaching mouthpiece, thank goodness, but as a sort of Catholic guide through the tales, should we choose to meditate on the spiritual aspects of t ...more
Abhishek
Brings back good old memories from school , when these stories were part of our English text.
Bloody brilliant,
Maria
Oct 24, 2007 Maria is currently reading it
Sigh. I'm never going to get through this book. I've been picking it up from time to time over these past eight or nine years, and I'm still only halfway through. Now I picked it up again, and it's just putting me to sleep.

There's nothing *wrong* with these stories. I highly recommend them. The characterisation is exquisite, the language gorgeous, the plots imaginative, but for every story that captivates me, there are three that bore me to tears. It's not the book - I just have problems with t
Gwenyth
Charming, but rather amateurish. Some of these stories had good twists but others didn't make much sense. The idea of the detective+his former thief friend was entertaining and originally but their characters remained only half-formed. And while there are occasion great turns of phrase, there's are also sentences are are repetitious, and description that's just hard to follow.
If you like detective stories of this sort, I would recommend maybe 2 or 3 Father Brown stories but not the whole collect
Lynette Twaddle
I know this amount to literary sacrilege, but I preferred the TV adaptation. Although these stories are beautifully written, there is something about the whole 'midsomer'/'Miss Marple' similar place and characters often in one location that I find more believable.... yes there may be abnormally high body counts, but when does Chesterton's priest do any, you know, sermons, confessions, etc?
Faith Bradham
I wish that goodreads let you do 1/2 stars, b/c I feel like book should get 3 1/2...so I rounded up.
Anyways, I liked the stories a lot, quite entertaining, and not a hard read at all. G.K. Chesterton made Father Brown so incongruous(sp?) that I would read his name and then forget the stories were about him...very cool.
Dustyloup
I read a few stories and they were clever, but an entire collection? No, really, I couldn't. Like a plateful of brownies, one is deelish, but all piled together like that would make me sick. Maybe one day I'll read a few more stories, but no more than one at a sitting please.
Cecilia Gonzalez
If I had started with Chesterton's detective stories about Father Brown maybe I would have had an easier way with other books in the same gender. His stories are plain simple but delightful. I'd recommend Father Brown to young teenagers.
Aneel
Feb 09, 2010 Aneel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Aneel by: Jessica
A collection of short detective stories. Generally pretty good. Centered on understanding motivation, rather than observing details. Never invite Father Brown to a dinner party unless you want someone murdered.
Feb 05, 2011 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bettie
The death of a nobleman - and a question of honour. Andrew Sachs stars as GK Chesterton's insightful clerical sleuth.

Available at BBC Radio 7 : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00f0qwl
Melissainau
Not the easiest stories to read - the prose is more than a little ponderous - but they are just delightful. So glad I finally read this book!
Nocturnal
(Note - though the ISBN claims to be a match, there are in fact eleven tales in the Penguin Classics version I'm reading).
Marc L
Detectiveverhaaltjes met een diepere laag. Mooie psychologische tekening en licht spirituele toets
Andrew Thompson
Crime-busting catholic priest from a gentler age. These stories are not without their charm.
Anna
While reading it I was lacking something - still don't know what it was. But the stories were ok.
James Violand
Not so hot. Perhaps an Englishman would find it charming, but I found it boring.
Michele bookloverforever
recently re read this. better appreciated now than when I was 17.
stepheneden
I have read the complete collection of Father Brown stories. (Eden)
Sera
i loved the stories at the first chapter more than the second.
Jules
Very well-written, and surprisingly entertaining.
Carey Combe
Drives me mad - but they have a strange charm
Susan Skylark
A step above Sherlock.
Aaron
A fun read.
  • A Play of Dux Moraud (Joliffe the Player, #2)
  • The Listening Eye (Miss Silver, #28)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Spirits of the Dead: Tales and Other Poems
  • Trent's Last Case
  • The Collected Novels of the Brontë Sisters
  • Guerrillas
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • Mary Queen Of Scots: The Fair Devil Of Scotland
  • I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)
  • Zothique
  • Six Great Dialogues: Apology/Crito/Phaedo/Phaedrus/Symposium/The Republic
  • Death on the Lizard (Kathryn Ardleigh, #12)
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) was born in London, educated at St. Paul’s, and went to art school at University College London. In 1900, he was asked to contribute a few magazine articles on art criticism, and went on to become one of the most prolific writers of all time. He wrote a hundred books, contributions to 200 more, hundreds of poems, including the epic Ballad of the White Horse, fi ...more
More about G.K. Chesterton...
Orthodoxy The Man Who Was Thursday The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1) The Complete Father Brown The Everlasting Man

“There’d be a lot less scandal if people didn’t idealize sin and pose as sinners.” 1 likes