Start by marking “Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters” as Want to Read:
Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters

Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  719 ratings  ·  77 reviews
A bestselling classic of humorous and nostalgic Americana, reissued in a strikingly designed trade paperback edition.

Before Garrison Keillor and Spalding Gray there was Jean Shepherd: a master monologist and writer who spun the materials of his all-American childhood into immensely resonant--and utterly hilarious--works of comic art.

Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories
Published October 1st 1982 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories

The Horse's Mouth by Joyce CaryA Division of the Spoils by Paul ScottThe Day of the Scorpion by Paul ScottThe Towers of Silence by Paul ScottThe Best of Saki by Saki
REALLY Underrated Books (Fewer than 1,000 Ratings)
184th out of 2,973 books — 1,231 voters
Dubliners by James JoyceNine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories by Flannery O'ConnorThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Best Short Story Collections
162nd out of 846 books — 627 voters

More lists with this book...

As with his spiritual heir David Sedaris, it's impossible to read Jean Shepherd without hearing his voice. (Anyone who's seen the movie based on his stories, "A Christmas Story," has heard his voice, as he was the film's narrator; anyone who hasn't heard Shepherd's old New York radio shows really needs to seek out some recordings.)

Much of "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories," as was the case with "A Christmas Story," serves as something of a love letter to Shepherd's father, played so perfe
Excellent. Absolutely Excellent.

Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories and Other Disasters
is written by the man who co-wrote and narrates the classic movie A Christmas Story , Jean Shepherd (1921-1999). Shepherd's book In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash is the inspiration for that movie, although the infamous dogs in the kitchen scene comes from Wanda Hickey.

If you love the movie A Christmas Story , you will absolutely enjoy this book. Set in Hammond, Indiana (he fictionalizes it as Hoh
Tyson Call
Dec 26, 2012 Tyson Call rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Garrison Keillor
For those who are reading this with absolutely no background information on Jean Shepherd, he is a storyteller best known for his stories which were made into the movie A Christmas Story. Those stories are mostly contained in In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash though as talented as he is, he recycles quite a bit, meaning that you will recognize parts of that book/movie sprinkled throughout many of his works.

This particular book, Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories is a collection of indiv
I just finished reading a pretty tragic book and needed to follow up with something a little more upbeat. This definitely fit the bill. As I read this story to myself, I couldn’t help but hear Jean Shepherd’s voice narrate Ralphie’s recollections of his youth – And I couldn’t help visualizing the movie versions of Ralphie and his sidekicks, Flick and Schwartz as adolescents. Ralphie’s stories are sweet and funny… A real treat for nostalgic toy, candy, and radio show lovers!
Aug 14, 2008 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: NPR
Jean Shepherd's stories are a sort of quasi-autobiographical nostalgic comedy. He brings us back(?) to the stereotypical midwestern American family of the mid-20th century. You may not recognize his name, but you probably know his work, because four of his short stories (one from this book, and three from In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash) were combined to form most of the material for the movie "A Christmas Story."

It's funny because it's true, but also because it's exaggerated. The narrati
Donna Gardner Liljegren
If you love the movie A Christmas Story, but have never read any of Jean Shepherd's work, you are missing a treat. Buried in the Wanda Hickey are Randy's "mommy's little piggy" trough-eating scene as well as the Bumpuses dogs. Start with In God We Trust - All Others Pay Cash (the book that the movie is based on) and then move on to Wanda, which is focused on a an older Ralphie and his trials with dating.
A great, light summer read. Many parts are laugh-out-loud funny, while the overall effect is nostalgic, even though it's clearly the generation before mine. After you read this, go re-read "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" by the same author, then, for a similar book for our generation, read Bill Bryson's "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid."
Jean Shepherd gave the commencement speech at my high school.He asked me where I was going to college.He laughed and said "That was the first college I got kicked out of!" I got kicked out as well, so I follow in the footsteps of greatness.In my own defense, who the fuck puts a college close enough that if you maintain a steady 110-120mph you can be in Daytona beach in 20 minutes?Anyway this book is a collection of funny stories.He wrote and narrates "A Christmas Story" which is on every Christm ...more
Daniel Brown
Some of the stories in here were pretty good, but overall, I was kind of let down. The kid was a bit of a punk I thought. I think what hurt was that I was expecting it to be similar to A Christmas Story, and that was going through my mind the whole time I read this book. The movie was definitely better.
Wanda Hickey is one of those humorous coming of age stories in vignettes a la Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon stories. The true stories tell of Jean Shepherd's childhood in small town Indiana, where his family and his friends are the main players on a stage of hilarity. Being Polish, I was particularly taken with the story of Josephine, a Polish girl from East Chicago upon whom Jean sets his sights, and whose Polish family he describes with a gusto that makes me love my own family all the more. ...more
Aug 25, 2008 Matthew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: David Sedaris, Bill Bryson, and Garrison Keilor fans.
Recommended to Matthew by: Some lady on a Fathers' Day commentary on NPR
I haven't read for pleasure much since the summer semester started so I'm reading a fun one now.

"The Christmas Story" is based on the events told in this book.

Jean Shepperd writes this book in first person with himself as the main character but I can't tell if this is fact or fiction. I think that it's a little of both, but it doesn't matter. (Probably a little like Bill Bryson's Thunderbolt Kid where the facts are distorted enough so that even the people the story is based-upon don't recogniz
I was very disappointed in this book. I really love the movie A Christmas Story, so I thought I would like this but I just couldn't get into it at all.
Matthew Perry
I must give full disclosure, Jean Shepherd is one of my favorite authors of all time so I may be a bit biased when reviewing his work. What makes Wanda Hickey and his other books so enjoyable is the way in which the stories are woven by Shepherd. I am a young man and have no idea what it was like to grow up during the depression but through Shepherd and my own knowledge of history his works come alive. Weather is be taking that girl out on an ill-fated first date or taking that family vacation t ...more
Jerry Seinfeld credited Jean Shepherd as an major inspiration, and I can see why. I LOVE Jean Shepherd's sense of humor and literary style -- he leaves no comedic arrow unslung, and aims quite a few at himself. This book had me laughing, uncontrolled and out loud, many times. It is perfect reading pretty much anytime EXCEPT late at night if you've got children. Why? Because you may end up waking them. Then they want to know why Mommy is crying ("Because I'm laughing so hard, honey.."), what's so ...more
I loved this book. It was really fun to read. I think this book is funnier than Jean Shepherd's first book. My wife commented that this is one of the few times she saw me laugh while reading a book. This book helped me thru a tough time. I started reading it while I was in the waiting room of a vet hospital waiting for my dog to go through an ultra sound to see whether he had cancer or not. Well unfortunately the news was bad, but reading the funny stories helped keep me from thinking too many d ...more
Charlene Gordon
Delightful book! I can hear Jean Shepherd's voice as I read this book. Read this in 1998.
Ben Nesvig
Hilarious like all of his other books.
Pat Rigley
An American Classic.
More Jean Shepherd ... and my favorite collection of his stories. Like his first collection, I have been reading these aloud to Nicki over during road trips, finished this collection last year (already working on the third). I probably have read these stories at least 5 times in the past, plus heard Shep tell versions of them. Wonderful stuff. Like the earlier collection, bits and pieces of these stories show up in Shep's film, "A Christmas Story," where most of his modern fans first met and hea ...more
In high school, an English teacher with a warped sense of humor had her classes read Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories on the day of the senior prom. For our class, we never finished the story during the class period so I've spend 17 years wondering how it ended. This story collection by Jean Shepherd (author of the stories on which A Christmas Story is based) is fun (3.5 stars). And now I know about Wanda's golden memories. My prom was much less eventful.
Wanda Hickey’s Night of Golden Memories is a fun read of simpler times. Jean Shepherd relates stories of his boyhood, growing up in the shadow of the steel mills in Northwest Indiana. Humor abounds in these tales of hillbilly neighbors, county fairs, fishing vacations, competition on the playground, and, of course, the never-ending adolescent problem of dealing with the opposite sex. You might just find a bit of your own childhood experiences in these pages.
Erikajean Jean
I didn't not like this book, it was just too slow for me. The stories were good - I never wanted to read more. Watching Christmas Story over the holidays help me to "hear" the author and reading flowed a little easier - but... I was b o r e d. I even kept the book past its overdue date, becuase I did want to read it... but I give up. I just realized I'm not that interested, time to move on! (I finished 46% of this book)
Terrance Bramblett
Jean Shepherd wrote many books besides the Ralphie Christmas story. I adivse you to read them all, he is a brilliant humor wroiter, and captures the amgst or growing up nicely.
Jean Shepherd's stories are undeniably funny and he's a master of vividly describing the life of a kid growing up in the Midwest in the 30s but they're best taken in small doses. Together, they can become slightly repetitive. Still, some of Shepherd's lines are worthy of writing down and/or memorizing and Ralphie will always be a beloved home-grown character for readers in Northwest Indiana.
Jul 28, 2008 Bap rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Beats me what the book was about but vaguely remember not liking it. Mike's comments have caused an uproar. I have finally solved the riddle. alice said the book was a 5, as funny as Sedaris or Bryson. If anyone has seen alice read a book she thinks is funny, you will know that she laughs uproariously to the point that you just have to read the book. I did and found it forgettable.
Michael Tildsley
There's something very entertaining in reading Jean Shepherd's autobiographical life sketches. There's a realism in the events in his life, and an entertaining optimism in his younger self's outlook on life. Many of his experiences ring true with my own personal experiences and reading them through eyes of someone in a different time period fascinated me.
This is perhaps my favorite of all the Jean Shepherd books. Here Shepherd has moved on from his childhood days to junior high and high school, along with his kid brother, Randy, Flick, Schwartz, and the Old Man.

Again, he pokes fun state fairs--and the HOllywood treatment of them--cars, proms, the dream girl. You'll be laughing till you can't stop.
My dad gave me this book when I was growing up, and I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I later found out that a few of the stories from this book were turned into the classic holiday film A Christmas Story. Just a wonderfully written, hilarious account of growing up -- with a tall tale aspect to it that just elevates the stories to pure fun!
This is laugh out loud funny. I just re read it and it was still hilarious! I have all his books and his wit, self deprivation and his nostalgic memories are a real treasure.
Jim Wilson
Jean Shepherd presented his stories of growing up in Gary Indiana for many years on NPR. This is one of his collections of stories. Along with In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash it is the basis for the Movie, A Christmas Story. For sheer nostalgic enjoyment there is nothing better. Reread both books every winter.
  • The Best of Robert Benchley
  • When Do They Serve the Wine?: The Folly, Flexibility, and Fun of Being a Woman
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
  • String Too Short to Be Saved
  • The Portable Mark Twain
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • Will: The Autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy
  • The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.
  • Mistress to an Age: A Life of Madame de Staël
  • Hugging the Shore: Essays and Criticism
  • The World According to Dave Barry
  • Scribble, Scribble: Notes on the Media
  • The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
  • If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!
  • How I Got to Be Perfect
  • The Most Of S.J.Perelman
  • The Philosophy of Literary Form
  • The Best of Robert Bloch
Was an American raconteur, radio and TV personality, writer and actor who was often referred to by the nickname Shep. With a career that spanned decades, Shepherd is best known to modern audiences for the film A Christmas Story (1983), which he narrated and co-scripted, based on his own semi-autobiographical stories.
More about Jean Shepherd...

“What the hell time is it?" muttered the old man. He was always an aggressive sleeper. Sleep was one of the things he did best, and he loved it. Some look upon sleep as an unfortunate necessary interruption of life; but there are others who hold that sleep is life, or at least one of the more fulfilling aspects of it, like eating or sex. Any time my old man's sleep was interrupted, he became truly dangerous.” 5 likes