The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think

The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  21 reviews
From a thorough review of how money gets misspent to seven saving strategies, the Fools help readers get their finances in order and begin their investment careers with any amount of money, no matter how small.
Published December 1st 1999 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think

Josh
Jul 29, 2007 Josh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who has any money and doesn't know what to do with it
EXCELLENT READ. So, here in the good ol' US of A, we don't do much in the way of educating our children about how to save and spend money. Therefore, even as a college graduate, I felt like I had *absolutely no idea* what to do with my income. Of course, I knew that blowing it all on Twinkies and DVDs was a bad idea, but I did not know what was a *good* idea. After reading this book, I felt like I had it all figured out.

The Motley Fool is all about living your life, and using your money wisely....more
Jeffrey
OK, I just like these guys. And in business, like most fields, likeability is king. However, if you can't produce, likeability won't get you much further. These books, by and large, are short and to the point. And they come from the two down home Gardner brothers who tell it like it is. These guys still look like two college kids looking to make good. And these books are good. Buy 'em all and get educated about a topic that our educational and financial institutions drop the ball on but is more...more
Mark
a easy reading investment book that starts off with getting people to save and pay off their credit card debt. Then it quickly explains some important keys to investing such as the fact that mutual funds do not beat the market average so index funds may be a better way to go. They also explain a few other ways one can invest such as with DRiPS, but their most worthy point is explaining how important compounding interest is. The book definitely got me to realize the short term investing I have be...more
Derek Emerson
Okay -- I read a finance book and am alive to talk about it. Overall I really liked the book, but some material was dated. However, they act like you don't know anything about finances and since I don't, it was good. Best advice -- don't try to save money by brushing your teeth with your fingers. Live a comfortable life and go after the big money issues. I learned a lot about the stock market as well and it was all commonsense. Another good piece of advice: skip being tied to your budget since i...more
Maria
I was a little uncertain how to rate this because for a finance book, it is quite entertaining and easy to read. But, compared to a non-finance "fun" read, it is on the boring side. So, if you want to read a finance book, this is a great one with more of light hearted and easy to read approach. If you want something entertaining to read while riding the bus, choose something else.
Jennie
I liked that this book is for people like me who know nothing about the stock market. It is a light-hearted approach that convinces you that you can understand investing. It did get a bit repetative though, but gives a lot of great pointers for beginners.
Saadiq Wolford
A very solid introduction to investing and personal finance management. After reading, I have a much greater understanding of my previous (and current) mistakes and what steps my wife and I need to take to build a secure financial future.

Claire Stewart
Aug 21, 2007 Claire Stewart rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Anyone who wants to retire with an ample nest egg should read this book! With its help, I made a really informed decision about my 401K at work. No one I know in their early twenties.thirties is well enough informed about smart finance.
Rusty N
Great book. The style of writing is very exciting and fast paced. Yet somehow they teach you a lot. It really covers the foundations and principles behind good money management, making big purchases and the basics of investment.
Jill
I didn't read this, but my husband raved about it. Found it to be the most helpful book in terms of investing and stocks. Inspired him to take over our stocks and manage it himself. Highly reccomended.
Daniel
The numbers are all pretty dated and the concept are pretty basic but worth a look if you haven't read much on the topic (investing) before.
Austin Spears
I really like these guys. They really know their stuff. If you want to put money into the market, read all of there books.

Austin
Brian
Good cheerleading, but if you buy an older version of this book, IGNORE the Foolish Four strategy! It's been proven unsound.
Mark Woodbury
I thought this book gave simple ideas on how to do little things that allow you to hold onto your money.
Judith
Easy to read, gives some good advice without going into too much detail for those of us who don't want it.
Loren
Apr 01, 2010 Loren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: money
One of the best books out there for investing beginners...and these guys actually know how to write.
Mike Nilson
Gave some great pointers about the importance of watching your dollars instead of pinching pennies
Yoo-Kyeong
Great for financial dummies like myself. A suprisingly easy and fun book book to read.
Janna
A book on personal finance that offers some practical advice.
Brooke
Not very readable--Gave up 1/2 way thru.
Phildiggety
Great insights into financial attitudes/tactics.
Karen Cleofas
Karen Cleofas marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Roy
Roy marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sahabat
Sahabat marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Safi
Safi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques to get motivated, get organized, and get going in the workplace.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times
  • Investing For Dummies
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Greatest Investor
  • The Simple Living Guide
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • UNIX System Administration Handbook
  • Beating the Street
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • Seductions of Rice
  • 279 Days to Overnight Success: An Unconventional Journey to Full-Time Writing
  • How To Learn Any Language: Quickly, Easily, Inexpensively, Enjoyably and on Your Own
Tom and David Gardner cofounded The Motley Fool, a multi-media financial education company, in 1993. Since then they have co-authored four New York Times bestsellers, including The Motley Fool Investment Guide and The Motley Fool's Rule Breakers, Rule Makers.
More about David Gardner...
The Motley Fool Investment Guide: How The Fool Beats Wall Street's Wise Men And How You Can Too The Motley Fool Million Dollar Portfolio: The Complete Investment Strategy that Beats the Market The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of The Motley Fool's Rule Breakers, Rule Makers: The Foolish Guide to Picking Stocks The Tom Hanks Enigma: The Biography of the World's Most Intriguing Movie Star