Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons

Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons (Silly Lilly)

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  37 reviews
“[A] little marvel of distilled storytelling…To know Lilly is to want to know what she has to say.” – Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Lilly is a spunky little girl who delights in the unexpected pleasures of each season, peering inside shells in the summer and tasting different kinds of apples in the fall. In this charming and subtle book by one of France’s premier child...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Toon Books

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellHop On Pop by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Beginning Readers
51st out of 101 books — 76 voters
Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons by Agnes RosenstiehlBalloon Toons by Ethan LongStinky by Eleanor DavisBinky the Space Cat by Ashley SpiresLittle Mouse Gets Ready by Jeff Smith
Comics for preschoolers
1st out of 30 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Pamela ☼where's my aspirin☼ Tee
SILLY LILLY AND THE FOUR SEASONS is a practice reader for children reading at the kindergarten level. It's a cute little book that follows Lilly through the seasons.

It begins with Spring and Lilly going to the park where she plays with her teddy bear. The text talks about how she likes to dance, jump, nap and play. And I should add that the 'story' is told in frames, like a comic book.

Summer has Lilly at the beach. She's standing in the water and noting the creatures around her, like fish and sh...more
Amanda Guenther
This graphic novel shows students the seasons in a different way than just reading a traditional book. The children can compare this text to self by somethings that they do in each of the seasons with their family and friends or even at school with their classmates. They can relate what they do to what Lilly does in the book. Children can relate the text to world by relating the part of the book that is the season at the time to the day. The nice thing about a book about seasons is that there ar...more
Justyn Rampa
Silly Lilly was written by Agnes Rosenstiehl who is apparently quite a popular children's author in France. The book is somewhat practical in that the plot is based on the seasons with some tie ins to what occurs during those seasons (i.e. harvest, snow, swimming, etc.).

Here is my problem, Silly Lilly needs to get clothes that fit. There is some article that my wife was telling me about where it discussed how in children's television shows and literature there is this trend to make little girl c...more
Sara Lynn
1. Genre: Junior Book/Graphic Novel

2. Summary: Silly Lilly loves to do enjoy all four seasons outdoors. Follow her through this graphic novel as she explores all the fun things kids can do during the different seasons.

3. Critique:
a. One of the greatest strengths of this title is the use of illustrations.

b. Of these, the strongest is the illustrator’s use of different types of clothing for the different seasons. For each season, Lilly can be seen in weather appropriate clothing. For example, on p...more
Karen
Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons is a concept book where Lilly takes us through the Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and back to Spring again. While we are going through the different seasons, Lilly is showing us some of the activities we can do during those seasons: go to the park, go to the beach, eat apples, play in the snow and swing. Young students (at least where I live in Ohio) would be able to connect with the text because these are all things that they can do during that season.
The graphic...more
Libby
My graphic-novel-loving children inspire me to keep an eye out for kids' graphic novels when we are at the library, and this is one I just happened upon. It's very basic in terms of story...it's really a set of vignettes about the ways that Lilly plays during each season of the year. The format is also large (usually just one or two panels per page) so it is great for introducing the graphic novel/comic strip format...or for getting kids started making their own comics.

I just liked it ok, but th...more
Ms. Barry
I want to like it. But, I cannot think of a kid I know would would really like this book. The best season is Fall because of the apple colors and idea that an apple that is "not so pretty" can be "very yummy." Just didn't work for me.
Karen
This graphic novel picture book is surprisingly charming. I am quite in love with Silly Lilly and would like to find more books that feature her.

Stacy268
The Toon books are definitely winners in my school, but my oldest had yet to show some interest. The youngest is doing an apple study in her school, and the apples in Silly Lilly would be a match.

Vintage style illustrations and clean pages giv...more
Mary
A spirited little girl named Lilly takes young readers through the four seasons. A deceptively simple panel introduces the book, explaining in pictures how seasons happen as the earth rotates around the sun. Lilly joyously demonstrates a child's natural curiosity in each of the four seasons.

The short, simple sentences make this an excellent choice for emerging readers. Of course, I also liked it because the creator, Agnes Rosenstiehl, lives in Paris. Silly Lilly is known and loved as Mimi Cracr...more
Jasmine Olivia
Silly Lilly is learning about the different clothes you wear and the different things you do during the different seasons of the year. Very cute story! :)
Denise Choate
Silly Lilly
2008 Graphic Novel
Lilly is making her way through her year just being a kid. Dancing and napping in the spring, enjoying the beach in the summer, picking and tasting apples in the fall, and rolling snowballs in the winter are just some of the ways that Lilly spends her days. Vintage style illustrations and clean pages give this story an immediate timeless feel.
Samantha
Lilly takes readers through the four seasons and showcases what her favorite activities are year long. Great graphic novel/concept as Lilly explores her surroundings at the beach and reviews colors of apples during the fall. Recommended for PreK-2. This would even be a great title for beginning readers as an alternative/addition to easy reader titles.
Claudia Naranjo
Lilly and her teddy bear Teddy go around enjoying the seasons. In the spring they go to the park and Lilly jumps, takes a nap, and dances. In summer she goes to the beach to discover fish, rocks, and shells. Later comes fall and she tries many different apples, and in winter she plays in the snow. Finally everything starts all over again. Gr. PK-3

Morgan Davis
A girl by the name of Lily is very silly. She enjoys so many different things in life especially activities. During each season of the year, from dancing in the park in the spring and throwing snowballs in the winter. This book takes you through the four seasons and an appropriate activity for that season.
Lana Clifton
Follow this comic book story of Lilly through four seasons. Lilly helps young readers build vocabulary of words to describe the natural world. The text is geared for independent readers, in Kindergarten-First grade classrooms. The text and pictures would not present well to a large group.
Kathy Ogg
This is a great book for kids who are reluctant readers. The text is simple for the struggling reader to read and engaging for all readers. It is a concept book and talks about the different ways Silly Lilly can enjoy each of the four seasons. I loved it and hope to find some for my classroom.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
The illustrations are okay and the dialog good for beginning readers with simple repetitive phrases. Somehow, the lack of relation between things that happen in the four "chapters," each for one season, bothers me and makes the story fall a little flat.
Julie
Mar 23, 2010 Julie added it
Shelves: comic-book
Some of the story is based on observations and what she has done. A great book to use with students that do not know where to start writing their own stories. There are two pictures on a page. A simple story. It states it is for "new readers."
Simple but very well done: clear illustrations and basic words show Tilly doing activities appropriate to each season. Bonus feature of illustrated page numbers is a helpful touch for early readers. Level 1 TOON book.
Allison
This book is set up like a comic book, which will interest children. It could be used to teach young students about the four seasons, and about reading different types of texts.
Sq.Hill Library
A graphic novel for the picture book audience. Very simple. Not sure if I agree with the graphic novel classification. It might do better in picture or reader.
Denise
I could see using this for a teacher collection because books on seasons can be difficult to come by, but other than that, I don't have much use for it.
Amy Wadsworth
This book uses a comic book format to explore the things a little girl does during the four seasons. Good for young readers.
Monica
Not many graphic (toon) books for the little ones. This one is good and could also be used to teach the four seasons.
Stephen Twelker
Very popular with our preschooler. Wonderful artwork. Lilly is delightfully silly. Great for kids just learning to read.
Kimmie G
Trying to get a feel for this collection. Reading it though gave me an idea on how to market them (Toon books)!!
Dianna
I was underwhelmed by this book, but the comic book format did appeal to my beginning reader.
Karyn
Great idea! Graphic novels for beginning readers. Great way to motivate the reluctant reader.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Benny and Penny in Just Pretend
  • Luke on the Loose
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready
  • Otto's Orange Day (Toon)
  • The Big Wet Balloon: Toon Books Level 2
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • Stinky
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Saving Audie: A Pit Bull Puppy Gets a Second Chance
  • Beach Babe (Babymouse, #3)
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Gabby and Gator
  • The Shark King: Toon Books Level 3
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • Morris the Moose
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
Agnès Rosenstiehl is the beloved writer and artist of nearly a hundred children’s books, many featuring the deceptively simple antics of “Mimi Cracra”, Silly Lilly’s French alter ego. In 1995, she received the prestigious Grand Prize for Children’s Books from the Société des Gens de Lettres. Agnès formally studied literature as well as music, and is married to an eminent mathematician. She lives i...more
More about Agnes Rosenstiehl...
Silly Lilly in What Will I Be Today? 100 Aventures De Mimi Cracra Mimi Cracra. Le sucre Livre de la Langue Francaise ABC: Autour Du Monde