Start by marking “Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons: TOON Level 1” as Want to Read:
Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons: TOON Level 1

Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons: TOON Level 1 (Silly Lilly)

Lilly is a spunky little girl who delights in the pleasures of each season, peering inside shells in the summer and tasting different kinds of apples in the fall. A charming, subtle book by one of France’s premier children’s book authors, Lilly learns about the outdoors and introduces the youngest readers to the colors, words, shapes that arise in nature.
Published April 1st 2008 by TOON Books

To ask other readers questions about Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
SILLY LILLY AND THE FOUR SEASONS is a practice reader for children reading at the kindergarten level. It's a cute little book that follows Lilly through the seasons.

It begins with Spring and Lilly going to the park where she plays with her teddy bear. The text talks about how she likes to dance, jump, nap and play. And I should add that the 'story' is told in frames, like a comic book.

Summer has Lilly at the beach. She's standing in the water and noting the creatures around her, like fish and sh
Alyshia Riggs
Dec 01, 2016 Alyshia Riggs rated it liked it
Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons is about a young girl enjoying her favorite activities in each of the seasons. Playing on the beach building fun sand castles is her favorite summer activity. In the fall Lilly loves to pick apples of different colors and taste all of them. In the winter Lilly plays outside in the snow making snow balls. Lastly, Lilly likes to play on the swings in the spring time. Lilly has fun doing all the seasonal activities and looks forward to all of them.
Silly Lilly and th
Erin
Dec 03, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, graphic-novels
I'm using this series as an introduction to graphic novels for my 3 year old at the advice of a library colleague and she loved it! "More silly Lilly please mommy!" Cute, simple illustrations and great word to picture ratio for little ones.
Lesley Colin
Sep 16, 2016 Lesley Colin rated it liked it
Silly Lilly is a story about a young girl named Lilly who is seen enjoying the corresponding activities of each season. In the summer, Lilly enjoys visiting the beach where she can play with marine life and make sandcastles. When the temperature begins to cool down during the fall, Lilly enjoy picking apples and tasting one from each color. During the snowy winter, Lilly puts on her snow boots and plays in the snow where she entertains herself by making snowballs and having snowball fights. The ...more
Sara Lynn
Nov 07, 2011 Sara Lynn rated it it was amazing
1. Genre: Junior Book/Graphic Novel

2. Summary: Silly Lilly loves to do enjoy all four seasons outdoors. Follow her through this graphic novel as she explores all the fun things kids can do during the different seasons.

3. Critique:
a. One of the greatest strengths of this title is the use of illustrations.

b. Of these, the strongest is the illustrator’s use of different types of clothing for the different seasons. For each season, Lilly can be seen in weather appropriate clothing. For example, on p
Karen
Jun 28, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons is a concept book where Lilly takes us through the Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and back to Spring again. While we are going through the different seasons, Lilly is showing us some of the activities we can do during those seasons: go to the park, go to the beach, eat apples, play in the snow and swing. Young students (at least where I live in Ohio) would be able to connect with the text because these are all things that they can do during that season.
The graphic
Justyn Rampa
Jun 07, 2011 Justyn Rampa rated it liked it
Silly Lilly was written by Agnes Rosenstiehl who is apparently quite a popular children's author in France. The book is somewhat practical in that the plot is based on the seasons with some tie ins to what occurs during those seasons (i.e. harvest, snow, swimming, etc.).

Here is my problem, Silly Lilly needs to get clothes that fit. There is some article that my wife was telling me about where it discussed how in children's television shows and literature there is this trend to make little girl c
Sahar Azimi
Feb 26, 2016 Sahar Azimi rated it really liked it
This is a realistic fiction graphic novel for grades K-2. It is a realistic fiction because it is a novel that shows Lilly and her experience during all of the seasons.

Connections:

To Myself- This book reminds me of being a kid and playing outside all of the time. I can clearly remember times when I played outside during each season. So reading this graphic novel takes me back to helping my dad rake the leaves, and then later in the year, throwing snow balls in my brother's face.

To World- You c
Anais Gilder
Feb 24, 2016 Anais Gilder rated it really liked it
The story of Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons is about a young girl experiencing winter, spring, summer, and fall. As each of the different seasons come around, Silly Lilly is seen doing a new activity. She is seen playing with her teddy bear in the grass, playing in the snow, playing at the beach, and playing on a swing.

The story is very sweet and simple, extremely easy for young kids to enjoy. The illustrations clearly could stand on their own to tell the story but the word bubbles at a more i
Matthew Hunter
ALSC Recommended Graphic Novel Reading List, K-2. On the plus side, the drawings have a classic comic feel. Multiple reviewers condemn Lilly's clothing as sexualizing young girls, putting them in cuts of clothing that, on older women, would be scandalous. My inappropriate meter didn't go off during our bedtime read, but that doesn't mean there's not something to the claim.

The story encourages kids to compare their favorite things to do in each season with Lilly's choices. Kieran and Siggy seemes
Mary
Jul 06, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
A spirited little girl named Lilly takes young readers through the four seasons. A deceptively simple panel introduces the book, explaining in pictures how seasons happen as the earth rotates around the sun. Lilly joyously demonstrates a child's natural curiosity in each of the four seasons.

The short, simple sentences make this an excellent choice for emerging readers. Of course, I also liked it because the creator, Agnes Rosenstiehl, lives in Paris. Silly Lilly is known and loved as Mimi Cracr
Stacy268
Sep 25, 2008 Stacy268 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The Toon books are definitely winners in my school, but my oldest had yet to show some interest. The youngest is doing an apple study in her school, and the apples in Silly Lilly would be a match.

Vintage style illustrations and clean pages giv
Libby
Nov 06, 2013 Libby rated it liked it
My graphic-novel-loving children inspire me to keep an eye out for kids' graphic novels when we are at the library, and this is one I just happened upon. It's very basic in terms of story...it's really a set of vignettes about the ways that Lilly plays during each season of the year. The format is also large (usually just one or two panels per page) so it is great for introducing the graphic novel/comic strip format...or for getting kids started making their own comics.

I just liked it ok, but th
Amanda Guenther
This graphic novel shows students the seasons in a different way than just reading a traditional book. The children can compare this text to self by somethings that they do in each of the seasons with their family and friends or even at school with their classmates. They can relate what they do to what Lilly does in the book. Children can relate the text to world by relating the part of the book that is the season at the time to the day. The nice thing about a book about seasons is that there ...more
Victoria Hylind
Dec 03, 2014 Victoria Hylind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This graphic novel is about Silly Lilly. She goes through all of the seasons. For each season she talks about what she likes to do during that season. In the spring she likes to go to the park, in the summer she likes to go to the beach, in the fall she likes to pick apples, and in the winter she likes to build a snowman. This is a toon into reading book and is great for reluctant readers. I would use this in my classroom to encourage students who do not have an interest in reading. There are ...more
Alex Weaver
This realistic fiction graphic novel would be perfect to introduce to children in the kindergarten range. This book teaches children about a variety of things in nature. This will allow children to make connections with their own experiences within nature. Learning about the seasons will also allow the children to be more knowledgeable about the way the seasons are around the world. Lastly, this book would be beneficial to introduce young children to the concept of nature and seasons while also ...more
Monica
Feb 08, 2016 Monica rated it liked it
Silly Lilly is a little girl who enjoys the changing of the seasons. During each season she tells us of something different she likes to do, like going to the park or the beach, and the different things she does and sees.

Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons by Agnes Rosenstiehl is the perfect fit for beginner readers. There are very few words and the text is simple. Each picture correlates nicely with the text and they are simple enough which prevents distraction from reading the text.

Appropriate
Kelsey
Oct 17, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it
This book is similar to a graphic novel, but for young readers. It could be shared as a read aloud with children between birth and four years old. It features Lilly and her teddy bear as they explore different seasonal activities. It could be used to help children develop an understanding of the seasons, vocabulary words for colors and seasonal objects. It features very simple texts and illustrations, but may appeal to some children and provides a variety of concepts that parents could explore ...more
Kylie Hodgson
Dec 06, 2014 Kylie Hodgson rated it really liked it
This book is about a young girl named Lilly who loves to do outdoor activities. She loves to play and dance in the park and even play in the snow in the winter. This story tells about all that she does as the seasons change and the world around her changes with them.
The illustrations are fun to look at as they change from spring to summer to fall to winter. It is also fun to see all the things she decides to do as she cannot do the previous activity anymore.
Samantha
Apr 20, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Lilly takes readers through the four seasons and showcases what her favorite activities are year long. Great graphic novel/concept as Lilly explores her surroundings at the beach and reviews colors of apples during the fall. Recommended for PreK-2. This would even be a great title for beginning readers as an alternative/addition to easy reader titles.
Morgan Davis
Jun 26, 2012 Morgan Davis rated it liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
A girl by the name of Lily is very silly. She enjoys so many different things in life especially activities. During each season of the year, from dancing in the park in the spring and throwing snowballs in the winter. This book takes you through the four seasons and an appropriate activity for that season.
Ann Cox
A little girl named Lilly goes through her favorite activities during four different seasons. This is a great concept book to introduce very young children to the four seasons. Early readers would also appreciate this book since the text is very simple. The illustrations have a retro, almost Tin-Tin type look that adults would even enjoy.
Denise Choate
Dec 16, 2009 Denise Choate rated it liked it
Silly Lilly
2008 Graphic Novel
Lilly is making her way through her year just being a kid. Dancing and napping in the spring, enjoying the beach in the summer, picking and tasting apples in the fall, and rolling snowballs in the winter are just some of the ways that Lilly spends her days. Vintage style illustrations and clean pages give this story an immediate timeless feel.
Brianna Lanier
Mar 27, 2015 Brianna Lanier rated it it was ok
Shelves: lssl3361
This book is about the four different seasons and depicts one activity that Silly Lilly does during each.
I liked how the pictures went through the seasons in order and came back to spring at the end showing a fully cycle.
An activity I would do: I would have the students create their own books filled with one thing they like to do during each of the seasons.
Claudia Naranjo
Lilly and her teddy bear Teddy go around enjoying the seasons. In the spring they go to the park and Lilly jumps, takes a nap, and dances. In summer she goes to the beach to discover fish, rocks, and shells. Later comes fall and she tries many different apples, and in winter she plays in the snow. Finally everything starts all over again. Gr. PK-3

Erin Reilly-Sanders
The illustrations are okay and the dialog good for beginning readers with simple repetitive phrases. Somehow, the lack of relation between things that happen in the four "chapters," each for one season, bothers me and makes the story fall a little flat.
Apr 11, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
Simple but very well done: clear illustrations and basic words show Tilly doing activities appropriate to each season. Bonus feature of illustrated page numbers is a helpful touch for early readers. Level 1 TOON book.
Lana Clifton
Follow this comic book story of Lilly through four seasons. Lilly helps young readers build vocabulary of words to describe the natural world. The text is geared for independent readers, in Kindergarten-First grade classrooms. The text and pictures would not present well to a large group.
Kathy Ogg
This is a great book for kids who are reluctant readers. The text is simple for the struggling reader to read and engaging for all readers. It is a concept book and talks about the different ways Silly Lilly can enjoy each of the four seasons. I loved it and hope to find some for my classroom.
Julie
Mar 23, 2010 Julie added it
Shelves: comic-book
Some of the story is based on observations and what she has done. A great book to use with students that do not know where to start writing their own stories. There are two pictures on a page. A simple story. It states it is for "new readers."
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Benny and Penny in Just Pretend
  • Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Jack and the Box: TOON Level 1
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
  • Stinky
  • Luke on the Loose
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • A Second Is A Hiccup
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Fashion Kitty and the B.O.Y.S.: (Ball of Yellow String)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Family Trees (Henry and Mudge, #15)
  • When the Wind Stops
  • Around the Year
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Saving Audie: A Pit Bull Puppy Gets a Second Chance
Agnès Rosenstiehl is the beloved writer and artist of nearly a hundred children’s books, many featuring the deceptively simple antics of “Mimi Cracra”, Silly Lilly’s French alter ego. In 1995, she received the prestigious Grand Prize for Children’s Books from the Société des Gens de Lettres. Agnès formally studied literature as well as music, and is married to an eminent mathematician. She lives ...more
More about Agnes Rosenstiehl...

Silly Lilly (2 books)