Start by marking “Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons: TOON Level 1” as Want to Read:
Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons: TOON Level 1

Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons: TOON Level 1 (Silly Lilly)

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Lilly is a spunky little girl who delights in the pleasures of each season, peering inside shells in the summer and tasting different kinds of apples in the fall. A charming, subtle book by one of France’s premier children’s book authors, Lilly learns about the outdoors and introduces the youngest readers to the colors, words, shapes that arise in nature.
Published April 1st 2008 by TOON Books

To ask other readers questions about Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussHappy Halloween by Othen Donald Dale CummingsHop On Pop by Dr. SeussFetch by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Beginning Readers
53rd out of 125 books — 100 voters
Hilda and the Bird Parade by Luke PearsonStinky by Eleanor DavisBinky the Space Cat by Ashley SpiresJack and the Box by Art SpiegelmanNursery Rhyme Comics by Chris Duffy
Comics for preschoolers
6th out of 38 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
SILLY LILLY AND THE FOUR SEASONS is a practice reader for children reading at the kindergarten level. It's a cute little book that follows Lilly through the seasons.

It begins with Spring and Lilly going to the park where she plays with her teddy bear. The text talks about how she likes to dance, jump, nap and play. And I should add that the 'story' is told in frames, like a comic book.

Summer has Lilly at the beach. She's standing in the water and noting the creatures around her, like fish and sh
Matthew Hunter
ALSC Recommended Graphic Novel Reading List, K-2. On the plus side, the drawings have a classic comic feel. Multiple reviewers condemn Lilly's clothing as sexualizing young girls, putting them in cuts of clothing that, on older women, would be scandalous. My inappropriate meter didn't go off during our bedtime read, but that doesn't mean there's not something to the claim.

The story encourages kids to compare their favorite things to do in each season with Lilly's choices. Kieran and Siggy seemes
Amanda Guenther
This graphic novel shows students the seasons in a different way than just reading a traditional book. The children can compare this text to self by somethings that they do in each of the seasons with their family and friends or even at school with their classmates. They can relate what they do to what Lilly does in the book. Children can relate the text to world by relating the part of the book that is the season at the time to the day. The nice thing about a book about seasons is that there ar ...more
Victoria Hylind
This graphic novel is about Silly Lilly. She goes through all of the seasons. For each season she talks about what she likes to do during that season. In the spring she likes to go to the park, in the summer she likes to go to the beach, in the fall she likes to pick apples, and in the winter she likes to build a snowman. This is a toon into reading book and is great for reluctant readers. I would use this in my classroom to encourage students who do not have an interest in reading. There are no ...more
This book is similar to a graphic novel, but for young readers. It could be shared as a read aloud with children between birth and four years old. It features Lilly and her teddy bear as they explore different seasonal activities. It could be used to help children develop an understanding of the seasons, vocabulary words for colors and seasonal objects. It features very simple texts and illustrations, but may appeal to some children and provides a variety of concepts that parents could explore w ...more
Justyn Rampa
Silly Lilly was written by Agnes Rosenstiehl who is apparently quite a popular children's author in France. The book is somewhat practical in that the plot is based on the seasons with some tie ins to what occurs during those seasons (i.e. harvest, snow, swimming, etc.).

Here is my problem, Silly Lilly needs to get clothes that fit. There is some article that my wife was telling me about where it discussed how in children's television shows and literature there is this trend to make little girl c
Sara Lynn
1. Genre: Junior Book/Graphic Novel

2. Summary: Silly Lilly loves to do enjoy all four seasons outdoors. Follow her through this graphic novel as she explores all the fun things kids can do during the different seasons.

3. Critique:
a. One of the greatest strengths of this title is the use of illustrations.

b. Of these, the strongest is the illustrator’s use of different types of clothing for the different seasons. For each season, Lilly can be seen in weather appropriate clothing. For example, on p
Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons is a concept book where Lilly takes us through the Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and back to Spring again. While we are going through the different seasons, Lilly is showing us some of the activities we can do during those seasons: go to the park, go to the beach, eat apples, play in the snow and swing. Young students (at least where I live in Ohio) would be able to connect with the text because these are all things that they can do during that season.
The graphic
Kylie Hodgson
This book is about a young girl named Lilly who loves to do outdoor activities. She loves to play and dance in the park and even play in the snow in the winter. This story tells about all that she does as the seasons change and the world around her changes with them.
The illustrations are fun to look at as they change from spring to summer to fall to winter. It is also fun to see all the things she decides to do as she cannot do the previous activity anymore.
Brianna Lanier
This book is about the four different seasons and depicts one activity that Silly Lilly does during each.
I liked how the pictures went through the seasons in order and came back to spring at the end showing a fully cycle.
An activity I would do: I would have the students create their own books filled with one thing they like to do during each of the seasons.
Ann Cox
A little girl named Lilly goes through her favorite activities during four different seasons. This is a great concept book to introduce very young children to the four seasons. Early readers would also appreciate this book since the text is very simple. The illustrations have a retro, almost Tin-Tin type look that adults would even enjoy.
My graphic-novel-loving children inspire me to keep an eye out for kids' graphic novels when we are at the library, and this is one I just happened upon. It's very basic in terms of's really a set of vignettes about the ways that Lilly plays during each season of the year. The format is also large (usually just one or two panels per page) so it is great for introducing the graphic novel/comic strip format...or for getting kids started making their own comics.

I just liked it ok, but th
Ms. Barry
I want to like it. But, I cannot think of a kid I know would would really like this book. The best season is Fall because of the apple colors and idea that an apple that is "not so pretty" can be "very yummy." Just didn't work for me.
This graphic novel picture book is surprisingly charming. I am quite in love with Silly Lilly and would like to find more books that feature her.

The Toon books are definitely winners in my school, but my oldest had yet to show some interest. The youngest is doing an apple study in her school, and the apples in Silly Lilly would be a match.

Vintage style illustrations and clean pages giv
A spirited little girl named Lilly takes young readers through the four seasons. A deceptively simple panel introduces the book, explaining in pictures how seasons happen as the earth rotates around the sun. Lilly joyously demonstrates a child's natural curiosity in each of the four seasons.

The short, simple sentences make this an excellent choice for emerging readers. Of course, I also liked it because the creator, Agnes Rosenstiehl, lives in Paris. Silly Lilly is known and loved as Mimi Cracr
Elle Markov
This was a cute book full of cartoons that covers the four seasons. It's short, simple and adorable; the language is basic for young readers.

Rating 3 out of 5
great for the wee ones
Jasmine Olivia
Silly Lilly is learning about the different clothes you wear and the different things you do during the different seasons of the year. Very cute story! :)
Denise Choate
Silly Lilly
2008 Graphic Novel
Lilly is making her way through her year just being a kid. Dancing and napping in the spring, enjoying the beach in the summer, picking and tasting apples in the fall, and rolling snowballs in the winter are just some of the ways that Lilly spends her days. Vintage style illustrations and clean pages give this story an immediate timeless feel.
Lilly takes readers through the four seasons and showcases what her favorite activities are year long. Great graphic novel/concept as Lilly explores her surroundings at the beach and reviews colors of apples during the fall. Recommended for PreK-2. This would even be a great title for beginning readers as an alternative/addition to easy reader titles.
Claudia Naranjo
Lilly and her teddy bear Teddy go around enjoying the seasons. In the spring they go to the park and Lilly jumps, takes a nap, and dances. In summer she goes to the beach to discover fish, rocks, and shells. Later comes fall and she tries many different apples, and in winter she plays in the snow. Finally everything starts all over again. Gr. PK-3

Morgan Davis
A girl by the name of Lily is very silly. She enjoys so many different things in life especially activities. During each season of the year, from dancing in the park in the spring and throwing snowballs in the winter. This book takes you through the four seasons and an appropriate activity for that season.
Lana Clifton
Follow this comic book story of Lilly through four seasons. Lilly helps young readers build vocabulary of words to describe the natural world. The text is geared for independent readers, in Kindergarten-First grade classrooms. The text and pictures would not present well to a large group.
Kathy Ogg
This is a great book for kids who are reluctant readers. The text is simple for the struggling reader to read and engaging for all readers. It is a concept book and talks about the different ways Silly Lilly can enjoy each of the four seasons. I loved it and hope to find some for my classroom.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
The illustrations are okay and the dialog good for beginning readers with simple repetitive phrases. Somehow, the lack of relation between things that happen in the four "chapters," each for one season, bothers me and makes the story fall a little flat.
Mar 23, 2010 Julie added it
Shelves: comic-book
Some of the story is based on observations and what she has done. A great book to use with students that do not know where to start writing their own stories. There are two pictures on a page. A simple story. It states it is for "new readers."
Simple but very well done: clear illustrations and basic words show Tilly doing activities appropriate to each season. Bonus feature of illustrated page numbers is a helpful touch for early readers. Level 1 TOON book.
This book is set up like a comic book, which will interest children. It could be used to teach young students about the four seasons, and about reading different types of texts.
Sq.Hill Library
A graphic novel for the picture book audience. Very simple. Not sure if I agree with the graphic novel classification. It might do better in picture or reader.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Benny and Penny in Just Pretend
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Luke on the Loose
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
  • Jack and the Box: TOON Level 1
  • Stinky
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • A Second Is A Hiccup
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Around the Year
  • Dodsworth in Rome
  • The Big Wet Balloon: TOON Level 2
  • Henry and Mudge and the Best Day of All (Henry and Mudge, #14)
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Un-Brella
  • Fall is Not Easy
Agnès Rosenstiehl is the beloved writer and artist of nearly a hundred children’s books, many featuring the deceptively simple antics of “Mimi Cracra”, Silly Lilly’s French alter ego. In 1995, she received the prestigious Grand Prize for Children’s Books from the Société des Gens de Lettres. Agnès formally studied literature as well as music, and is married to an eminent mathematician. She lives i ...more
More about Agnes Rosenstiehl...

Silly Lilly (2 books)
  • Silly Lilly in What Will I Be Today?: TOON Level 1
Silly Lilly in What Will I Be Today?: TOON Level 1 100 Aventures De Mimi Cracra Mimi Cracra. Le sucre Livre de la Langue Francaise Câlins