Start by marking “La Suerte de Los Dados” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
La Suerte de Los Dados

Philippa Carr

La Suerte de Los Dados (Daughters of England #8)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Clarissa Field
Beautiful, spirited love child of a nobleman's dalliance with a tempestuous lady, Clarissa is only twelve when she first encounters the dashing officer, Lance Clavering. But she is not too young to fall in love, nor to become the pawn in a deadly game of power and passion which are both her heritage and her destiny. The time is 1715, the place an England rife
Published January 28th 1988 by Vergara Editor S.A. (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about La Suerte de Los Dados, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Suerte de Los Dados

Jo
Aug 04, 2016 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I am addicted to this series. I just can't stop reading them. While they are compelling, they tend to have the same protagonist and love interest stereotype in them.
Bunnys
Aug 17, 2014 Bunnys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read.

This woman, Victoria Holt, uses a lot of the same plot devices over and over again.

In this book the bottomless pit and secretive monk both make encore appearances.

It's listed as a historical fiction but mostly it's just an anemic romance. I think it's supposed to be suspense and intrigue, though.

The heroine loses her unremarkable (and mostly absent) hero to a much younger woman.
Amanda M
Jun 26, 2016 Amanda M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kellie Marnoch
Like that it ended with Clarissa and Sabrina together, showing that THAT was the most important relationship in the book, the love between two sisters.
Marlene
Jan 22, 2013 Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I love Victoria Holt I decided to read Philippa Carr since that is another of her psedo-names (and actually, Victoria Holt is also a psedo-name). Also, when I lived in Ireland I saw that Philippa Carr was a very well-known author there (even though she is not alive anymore). I enjoyed reading this book since it is also connected to LOVE CHILD, which I had already read. I wish I had the gotten the whole series and read them in order, but I am finding them here and there at thrift stores and ...more
Becky
Nov 21, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is definitely #8 of the Daughters of England series, originally published around 1981, although the title was changed when released as an ebook. The main character, Clarissa, is the daughter of Carlotta, who is one of the two main characters in Daughters of England #7.
The Drop of the Dice, which seems to be the new title for the ebook, which became available in 2013.

I've also noticed that Book #10, whose original title was Knave of Hearts, is titled Zipporah's Daughter in the ebook fo
Karen Dempsey
Feb 14, 2014 Karen Dempsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Panchitah H.
Interesting story line I suppose, but there seemed to be something lacking at the conclusion of the story. For one, the main protagonist suddenly lost her ability to understand subtleties that she used to catch so readily early in the story. The narration also initially hinted at some deep revelation in the future that never really materialized. Nonetheless, it was an entertaining read on a lazy Sunday morning.
Janet
Jan 25, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am rereading all of these books, so the story continues. Philippa Carr wrote so well that it is always fun to read one of her many books, no matter what name she wrote under. Her real name was Victoria Holt and she wrote under Jean Plaidy also, and many more. I liked her best as Philippa Carr, however.
Tammie Elliott
book 8
Kingbird
Kingbird rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Mary Armstrong
Mary Armstrong marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Charybdis
Charybdis rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Pauline Hayes-Stathis
Pauline Hayes-Stathis rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Joy Winter
Joy Winter rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Susan Erwin
Susan Erwin rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jun 16, 2016
reveurdart
reveurdart marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Geralyn
Geralyn marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Megan O'Neill
Megan O'Neill marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
  • The Demon Lover
  • It Began in Vauxhall
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Philippa Carr...

Daughters of England (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)
  • The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3)
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Lament for a Lost Lover (Daughters of England, #5)
  • The Love Child (Daughters of England #6)
  • The Song of the Siren (Daughters of England, #7)
  • The Adulteress (Daughters of England, #9)
  • Knave of Hearts (Daughters of England, #10)
  • Voices in a Haunted Room (Daughters of England, #11)