Start by marking “I'd Rather Be in the Studio!: The Artist's No-Excuse Guide to Self-Promotion” as Want to Read:
I'd Rather Be in the Studio!: The Artist's No-Excuse Guide to Self-Promotion

I'd Rather Be in the Studio!: The Artist's No-Excuse Guide to Self-Promotion

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
I'd Rather Be in the Studio! The Artist's No-Excuse Guide to Self-Promotion offers practical approaches that help you sell more art and build an art career that lasts. Alyson B. Stanfield, the art-marketing guru behind ArtBizCoach.com, shares self-promotion tools that have enhanced the careers of thousands of artists. You'll learn how to: (1) Introduce yourself as an artis ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Pentas Press (first published February 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I'd Rather Be in the Studio!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'd Rather Be in the Studio!

Robert Bean
Mar 30, 2016 Robert Bean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books, how-to
If you're an artist trying to develop your business, this book is a must have. Alyson breaks down segments of being an artist into easy to digest "Actions" (not chapters) and has a ton of great ideas in the pages of this book. I had already read many different art business books by the time I came across this one, but Alyson Stanfield's book quickly moved to the top of the list.

I highly recommend this book to any aspiring or established artist out there.
Cindy
Apr 15, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: visual artists
This book has been recommended by many in the art world whom I admire. The author, Alyson B. Stanfield is an art-marketing consultant. In this book she writes about the “excuses” artists can make that keeps them from becoming a more outgoing, assertive, and social media giant, referring to their art “business”.
The chapters in the book fully explore areas where artists might be weak in self-promotion, and gives many suggestions on things to do. Topics from, how to write a better artist’s statemen
Jillian
Jun 24, 2011 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, favorites, art
This book is an invaluable reference resource for artists. I ended up highlighting half of it, and I found advice that I hadn't read in The Artist's Way or any other marketing book.
Whitaker
Dec 10, 2010 Whitaker rated it really liked it
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Lisa King
Mar 14, 2013 Lisa King rated it really liked it
I borrowed this book from the library and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of information contained within these pages. The author really wants artists to succeed regardless of what type of art they create. Again, as with Caroll Michels' How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist, Alyson B. Stanfield concentrates her advice for the artist who seeks gallery representation. Included is how to write an effective artist's statement, bio, and newsletter etc. She promotes the need for an effectiv ...more
Rebecca
Mar 21, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Perfect for those of us who cringe at tooting our own horn. There are some good ideas and pointers in this, and some that might not apply at the moment but to be aware of. It gives a good starting place for promoting yourself and your work without being too starry eyed "make it and they will come."
Tony Bradshaw
May 28, 2014 Tony Bradshaw rated it liked it
If you're not ready to take marketing actions, don't read this book! The book is basically a long todo list organized to help the reader overcome their excuses. Marketing is an area of weakness, so it helped to get some items to do, yet it was overwhelming to see all that wasn't being done.
Tom Libertiny
Sep 08, 2013 Tom Libertiny rated it really liked it
While there's no new information in Alyson Stanfield's book, that's her point: "No-Excuses." She outlines a step-by-step program that anyone can use to further their promotional goals as an artist, business person or volunteer in a not-for-profit. What she does do extremely well is motivate through her book. And if you E-mail her with a question through her website, she responds in person quickly with very helpful followup information.

This book is written for visual artists (painters, sculpture,
Teresa Sharp
Jul 11, 2011 Teresa Sharp rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-non-fiction
This is a very helpful book for Artists who are wanting to move from hobby to business with their visual art. At some level the tips can be applied to other self-employed creative types as well. Some of the content can be skimmed through for the tech savvy reader. On the other end I skimmed some of it because my husband understands and will be helping me with aspects that are beyond my comprehension at this time.
Kim
This is a really practical book for any artist looking to run a business. There is no earth shattering advice here, but the book is instrumental because of how it is organized and sets forth goals and tasks. I would make it mandatory reading for all artists aspiring to make money from their efforts.
Nancy
Mar 27, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: artists, writers
This book gives practical, good advice to artists of all kinds, but mostly visual artists, on marketing.

I learned a lot from this book, and am working now to implement many of the ideas. Each idea takes time, but if you work on it bit by bit, a lot can be accomplished.
Brad Blackman
May 18, 2015 Brad Blackman rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, and I only wish I finished it when I got it. I feel a re-read is in order, though, so I can come up with a good plan for getting my art out in the world. It's a good playbook for self-promoting your art.
Pamela
Oct 22, 2008 Pamela is currently reading it
I believe Alyson Stanfield is the best author I have encountered who writes about the particulars of marketing for artists. For those artists out there - check out www.artbizcoach.com to view more of her gifts and talents.
Kim
May 08, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
I'm marking this to-read, but I already know Alyson Stanfield gives amazing advice. This book will be more confirmation of that. I'll get it on my next book order for sure!
Sep 12, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, business
One of the best "Business of Art" books out there. She also has a good blog and wonderful podcasts. I would highly recommend this book to any serious artist.
Dec 31, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any artist
Recommended to Laura by: Alyson B. Stanfield
Perfect for the individual looking to promote their art business or really any business. So helpful in several ways. Very easy read.
Danielle
Jul 04, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Tons of great information and advice and truly a fitting title! Have gone back to use this as a reference multiple times.
drozda
Mar 02, 2009 drozda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all artists
Recommended to drozda by: Kristin Harris
I continue to learn more andmore about staying the course. very upbeat info and guidance for any artist working in the world.
Christine Goldbeck
Dec 14, 2010 Christine Goldbeck rated it it was amazing
If you are an artist and want to succeed in terms of finances, read this book and practice what she suggests. It works!
Drea
Sep 29, 2013 Drea rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to any and every artist starting to sell or thinking of selling their creations.
Suzanne
Feb 21, 2010 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-think
practical, no excuses -- helps you get to the next step
Jam
Jam marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Ellis Dunbar
Ellis Dunbar rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2016
Silvio
Silvio marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Gerald
Gerald rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Joy Vansell
Joy Vansell marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Eddy
Eddy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Daniel Ketelhut
Daniel Ketelhut rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
  • The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul
  • Inside the Painter's Studio
  • ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career
  • Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • Artspeak: A Guide to Contemporary Ideas, Movements, and Buzzwords, 1945 to the Present
  • Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • John Singer Sargent
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • The Designer's Guide to Marketing and Pricing: How to Win Clients and What to Charge Them
  • Hawthorne on Painting