Start by marking “The Missing Piece” as Want to Read:
The Missing Piece

The Missing Piece (The Missing Piece #1)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  20,578 Ratings  ·  590 Reviews
It was missing a piece.
And it was not happy.
So it set off in search
of its missing piece.
And as it rolled
it sang this song -
Oh I'm lookin' for my missin' piece
I'm lookin' for my missin' piece
Hi-dee-ho, here I go,
Lookin' for my missin' piece.

What it finds on its search for the missing piece is simply and touchingly told in this fable that gently probes the nature of quest a
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published April 14th 1976)

Jason Koivu
Aug 28, 2013 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, edge-of-your-seat masterpiece! Dynamic character development and a knock-your-socks-off climatic twist! I couldn't get enough of The Missing Piece when I was eight years old! However, that Shel Silverstein is a one creepy looking dude. There's a certain sort of child molester-esque look about him. His picture on the jacket sleeve alone could deter readers and nearly made me drop the rating down a half star, but I wear big boy pants now and the Silverstein booger monsters of the worl ...more
Scarlet Cameo
Jul 30, 2016 Scarlet Cameo rated it really liked it
Esta es la primera parte de The Missing Piece Meets the Big O, en esta historia estamos centrados en "Big O", antes de ser "Big O". Si bien hay muchas similitudes entre la primera nos muestra como nos perdemos en el afan de sentirnos completos gracias a alguien más, mientras que en esta vemos como, algunas veces, estar con alguien más hace que sea posible crecer y avazan, pero al mismo tiempo que nos perdamos a nosotros mismos. Acepto que en un punto sentí que la historia buscaba engrandecer el ...more
Matthew Hunter
Jul 13, 2013 Matthew Hunter rated it really liked it
I can see why many consider The Missing Piece to promote individualism over relationship. But there's more to the story here. It's not so much that Silverstein's telling us to avoid relationships like the plague, he's cautioning us not to seek completion in other people, ideas, or things. Relationships are hard anyway, and when we approach them from a needy place, we might hold on to them so tightly that the break from the pressure of being another's all-in-all. Or we might get distracted by our ...more
Aug 19, 2012 asdewi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Warning : Contain Huge Spoiler

Sebelumnya maaf ya, review ini emang kudu spoiler. Karena saya gak menemukan cara untuk bercerita tentang buku ini tanpa memberi spoiler. Dan berhubung buku ini emang ceritanya dikit, maka yah...bercerita sedikit tentang buku ini pun sudah jadi spoiler.

Saya ini penggemar berat buku anak, jauh sebelum saya suka genre lain.
Buku anak yang saya maksud di sini tuh bukan yang karangan Enid Blyton ato Astrid Lindgren ato Roald Dahl (walau pun saya juga suka karya mereka s
Jul 27, 2008 Anthony rated it did not like it
I did not like this one nearly as much as I liked the story behind "The Missing Piece Meets the Big O". The message seemed to be that finding that special someone is bad because you miss all the things you liked when you were "single".
Jun 08, 2015 Sahar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
داستان كوتاه و جالبي بود، در واقع لذتبخش بودن اين داستان خلاصه در زبان ساده و كوتاهي كلام بود. داستاني كه در ظاهري ساده اما غناي روايي بيان كننده اين نكته بود كه قطعه ي گمشده را بايد پيدا كرد، بايد آنقدر به دنبالش گشت تا پيدايش كرد و همچنين بايد قبول كرد كه نيازي نيست آن قطعه ناكامل باشد تا كامل كننده ي ما باشد.
Apr 29, 2015 E.B. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to E.B. by: Tara
Shelves: favorites, 2013
"Hi," it said.
"Hi," said the piece.
"Are you anybody else's missing piece?"
"Not that I know of."
"Well, maybe you want to be your own piece?"
"I can be someone's and still be my own."
"Well, maybe you don't want to be mine."
"Maybe I do."

Like all of Shel Silverstein's books, The Missing Piece is a simple and beautiful little life lesson.

Thanks, Tara!

Even to this very day, I am still reading Shel Silverstein’s works and I am finding them much more interesting than ever before! Now, I have recently picked up another book by Shel Silverstein called “The Missing Piece” and man, was this one enjoyable read!

Basically, this book is about a circle who is missing a piece of itself and how it tries to find its missing piece through snowy weather and through mountains. While on the way, the circle meets up with several triangular shaped pieces that th
Behnam Gohari
Feb 16, 2014 Behnam Gohari rated it really liked it
Hi-dee-ho, here I go,
Lookin' for my missin' piece.

همه ی ما گوشه های تیزی داریم که می تونه نگاه مون، افکارمون، عقایدمون باشه، اما وقتی شروع کنیم به قل خوردن، دیدن دیگران، دیدن خودمون، آروم آروم این گوشه های تیز کم کم تغییر کنن و شاید _ شاید کمی صیغل پیدا کنن و کار آمد تر بشن
از سایت دنباله و با کمی ویرایش
من خودم
"The Missing Piece Meets the Big O"
رو بیشتر دوست داشتم . ظاهرن پیام این کتاب اینه که شما وقتی با یه شخص خاصی رابطه ی خاصی برقرار میکنی،خیلی خوب نیست،محدود میشی و خیلی جیزا رو از دست میدی
Growing up I remember Shel Silverstein's books distinctly because I have never seen those types of illustrations in the front cover and even though I was too little to read them I was fascinated at looking at the pictures. Then going a few years back I read some recommendations of pictures book that will impact your life and this book was included in the list. I only remember now to read it after I recently read The Giving Tree and found that the library has this book.

Even though the story did
Jun 11, 2012 Danica rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I'm a bit iffy on this one. I think it is a great message that we are whole as we are, but this book seems to suggest that you don't need anyone else in life. In fact, it seems to say we're better off alone, and that is a message I find hard to swallow.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The missing piece, Shel Silverstein, 1976
پنج برگردان از این اثر به فارسی وجود دارد
عنوان1: «در جستجوی قطعه گمشده»، نوشته: «شل سیلوراستاین»؛ برگردان: «رضی هیرمندی»، نشر: تهران، نمایشگاه کتاب کودک، ، مشخصات ظاهری: ص، مصور
عنوان2: «به دنبال قطعه گمشده»، نوشته: «شل سیلوراستاین»؛ برگردان: «سیما مجیدزاده»؛ ویرایش: «علیرضا سپهری»، نشر: «مشهد، گل آفتاب، چاپ نخست ، در ص، مصور؛ اندازه: سم؛ شابک: 964-5599-31-8»؛ چاپ دهم در سال 1391
عنوان3: «به دنبال قطعه گمشده»، نویسنده: «شل سیلوراستاین»؛ برگردان: «شورا پ
Feb 22, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
I love The Missing Piece. What youngsters will see as a fantasy story about a Pacman-like creature (identified only as "It") who is searching for its missing piece, adults will identify as a book about the trajectory of relationships.

Older readers may get a bit misty when "it" finds a piece but doesn't hold on tightly enough, so it slips away--only to have the next piece break when it clings to it too tightly.

Finally, it discovers a piece that fits just right, but they become so entangled in e
Aug 02, 2010 Ashley rated it it was ok
Perhaps I am being too hard on this book, but I remember a teacher reading it to our class in grade school and hating it. To me there was too much dull repetition, and the resolution drove me mad. This book turned me off Shel Silverstein for the longest time. I have just barely decided that perhaps this book was the exception, not the rule and I should give him another shot. I might read this again, just to give it another chance now that I am older but I will read some others before.

A more det
Dec 25, 2009 Allen rated it it was amazing

Now that I got that out of the way... There is a lot of messages that can be conveyed in this story, plus there are a lot of catchy rhymes that I am sure all children can
Lily Rodríguez
La cosa más bonitas (':
Apr 22, 2010 Victoria rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most amazing books I have ever read in my life. Silverstein is a genius at metaphor. About a year after my separation from my husband, I was going through some boxes and I came across this book. I had written the date on it that the book club had sent it to my son. I had taped a picture of my son (at the age he was when he received the book... about 4 years old).

I pushed the box aside and read the book. I realized that everything was going to be ok. I was the "piece". Somethi
Dec 07, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Shel Silverstein's books are personal favorites, so I was excited to share them with our girls. This is a great story in his collection and it's a fun tale to read aloud. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Eglantine Sabet
May 19, 2016 Eglantine Sabet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, children
I really loved it... This is one great children's story and I think it should be read to all children. This list name also says it all: "Books Adults and Teens Still Read Even Though They Are Really For Kindergarteners or First Graders"
Khadija Sharafi
Aug 11, 2016 Khadija Sharafi rated it it was amazing
I like how children's books have a way of teaching life lessons in an effortless manner. A great book not only for kids, but for adults as well to remind them of the importance of individualism and self-acceptance. Another great book by Shel Silverstein!
همهء ما دنبال نیمه گمشده خودمون هستیم. دوستی دارم که دنبال ملودیش می گرده. امیدوارم بتوونه پیداش کنه که من باور دارم ملودی نام دیگر همان قطعه گمشده است.
Mehdi khani
Jun 09, 2010 Mehdi khani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
سیلور ،دوست دارد که در مسیر کمال باشد و این جستجوی گمشده است که زیباست و نه یافتنِ او
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 13, 2016 Jon(athan) Nakapalau rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
A great fable about finding who you really it just me or does this figure look a lot like Pacman?
Jul 29, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
"Hi," it said.
"Hi," said the piece.
"Are you anybody else's missing piece?"
"Not that I know of."
"Well, maybe you want to be your own piece?"
"I can be someone's and still be my own."
"Well, maybe you don't want to be mine."
"Maybe I do."
"Maybe we won't fit...."
It fit!
It fit perfectly!
At last! At last!
And away it rolled
and because it was now complete,
it rolled faster and faster.
Faster than it had ever rolled before!
So fast that it could not stop to talk to a worm
or smell a f
Aug 22, 2016 Marianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Gosh - I forgot how much I love this book.... I was cleaning my book shelf today and in rearranging my books started looking at my Shel Silverstein collection (I own many of his books).... I picked this one up and started reading it to my husband reminiscing how I used to read and sing this book to our kids when they were small - brought tears to my eyes.

If you consider the story, it is so simple and easy, but it is full of layered meaning and wonderful lessons for both small children and adults
Mohsen Rajabi
داستانی خوب، ولی ناقص.
متاسفانه داستان آنچنان روایت شده که در نگاه اول به نظر می رسد کمال، بیشتر یک نقص است تا یک ارزش، در حالیکه اگر خوب دقت کنیم می بینیم که منظور داستام این نیست. آن چیزی که در داستان گفت می شود، این است که کسی نمی تواند ما را کامل کند، می گوید آن کمال می شود کمالی مصنوعی، چون حتی فرصت لذت بردن ما از محیط را هم می گیرد. اما نقص داستان این است که نمی گوید نظرش راجع به کمال چیست. آیا خوب است یا بد؟ و آیا راهی برای رسیدن به آن هست؟ و این شده دلیلی برای بعضی ها که ارزش داستان را زی
Feb 16, 2010 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
"The missing piece sat alone
waiting for someone
to come along
and take it somewhere....

The different ones it encounters - and what it discovers in its helplessness - are portrayed with simplicity and compassion in the words and drawings of Shel Silverstein."

I just loved this book. It is a quick read (10 mins). Oftentimes we look to others to make us complete, but this read reminds us that we are perfect in our own right. This reminds me of how I think that others can com
Oct 04, 2009 Tori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Before I was married, back in my swinging single days, I had a tradition. Every Valentine's Day, when I didn't have a date and was all depressed about it, I would go to the bookstore and read this book.
When you think about it, it can very much be applied to dating. How the missing piece tried on several pieces to complete it, found that they didn't fit right and eventually realized that having a "missing piece" wasn't always the perfect ending you hoped for.

Good story that still makes me smile
Jan 17, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
I bought this for my niece, Stephanie, when she was 5. This was the first book she ever read. She took it to show and tell at school. I remember discussing the concept of the book and singing the missing piece song with her, "hidey ho here I go, lookin' for my missin' piece, so fleece my knees and grease my bees..." This book allowed me an amazing moment with my niece and I will always cherish it for that. Plus, it's just a damn good book in it's own right. I highly recommend it as a present for ...more
Mar 02, 2009 nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Makes you think. At first it just seemed like a terribly sweet "I'mma give this one to ma boyfriend!" type book. Then it spit the missing piece out and kept on rollin' and I thought... oh, wait. Nevermind. Is the message that you're better off alone? That relationships deprive you of your freedom and your joy? Or is it that people/pieces don't have to be permanent to be positive? Or that it's just good to be hopeful? To keep having something to look forward to? BUT. But then is the message that ...more
  • قصه‌های من و بابام - کتاب دوم - شوخی‌ها و مهربانی‌ها
  • Rooster's Off to See the World
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
  • Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...

The Missing Piece (2 books)
  • The Missing Piece Meets the Big O

“Oh I'm lookin' for my missin' piece
I'm lookin' for my missin' piece
Hi-dee-ho, here I go,
Lookin' for my missin' piece”