Start by marking “Falling Up” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  110,188 Ratings  ·  1,119 Reviews

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals an

Published August 1st 2003 by Harpercollins Childrens Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Up, please sign up.

Therese This book is full of creative little poems. I highly recommend it :D
nyasia scott
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
74th out of 3,672 books — 5,352 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMatilda by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Children's Books I'll Re-Read No Matter How Old I Am
123rd out of 1,992 books — 3,032 voters

More lists with this book...

Raeleen Lemay
Mar 05, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing
Shel Silverstein's books never fail to put a smile on my face.

Firstly, because they are charming and delightful, funny and witty, but also because they bring me back to my childhood. My friends and I used to read Silverstein poems and perform them in class, and anytime I read them now they bring me back to those days.

It's time to get my hands on a copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends once again.
Chin Hwa
Nov 11, 2014 Chin Hwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Some wonderful gems from this anthology of poems and drawings:

FALLING UP

I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up--
Up where the colors
Blend into the sounds.
But it got me so dizzy
When I looked around,
I got sick to my stomach
And I threw down.

All ran away and hid
Fro
Ahmad Sharabiani
Falling Up, Shel Silverstein
عنوان: بالا افتادن؛ نویسنده: شل سیلور اشتاین؛ مترجم: حمید خادمی؛ تهران، پنجره، 1381، در 187 ص؛
Rana Heshmati
با اینکه ترجمه ی نسبتا خوبی داشت، ولی بنظرم اصلا قابل ترجمه نیستن این شعرها.. وخوشحالم که متن انگلیسی شان هم بود که از خواندنشان لذت ببرم :)
نقاشی های قشنگش.. قوه ی تخیل بامزه ش که انگار از بند اون چارچوب های ذهنی رهامون می کرد...
از این واااقعا خوشم اومد :))
" پام گفت: هی، بریم برقصیم.
زبونم گفت: بیا بریم یه لقمه بزنیم.
مغزم گفت: بیا یه کتاب خوب بخونیم.
چشمم گفت: بیا یه چرتی بزنیم.
زانوم گفت: بیا یک کم راه بریم.
پشتم گفت: بیا سوار کاری کنیم.
نشیمنم گفت: خوب، من هم همین جا می شینم تا شما ها تصمیم تون رو
Stephen
Jul 29, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I think this is my favorite Shel Silverstein offering. One of those books that can be enjoyed by children and adults depending on how deeply you dive into the meaning of the stories. Incredibly imaginative and very well done.
Ronyell
May 19, 2013 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Shel Silverstein fans!!!
Falling Up

Ever since I was little, I have been a huge fan of Shel Silverstein’s works as they were creative, controversial and hilarious to read through! I have practically read almost all of Shel Silverstein’s works including Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Every Thing on It and I had enjoyed every single one of them! Now, I have finally read another one of Shel Silverstein’s books called “Falling Up” and it was just as enjoyable as Shel Silverstein’s other works!

This is another book t
Heather
Jan 06, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good laugh
Shelves: humor, kid-lit
I fell in love with the plays on words and how childlike the poems were. It didn't take a whole lot of thinking to interpret the poems, because it was all there, clearly stated in the poem.
Novel Delight Review & Lisa (Lissa) Smith's Bookshelf
After seeing this on one of my friends list I couldn’t resist re-reading it. I read this book to my children when they were small. It’s both entertaining and educational. It’s a great way to introduce children to art, poetry and the limitless of one’s imagination.
Danelle

All ran away
From one little
did.
Maria Eleynita
I Love the poem about Pinnochio!!! okie dokie-io!
Jenna Kennedy
Nov 17, 2014 Jenna Kennedy rated it liked it
With black, sketched illustrations on cream colored pages, the words flow down the pages as they do off of the reader’s tongue. The lyrical type narration use rhyme and repetition to show the adventure of Pinocchio (on page 46). An illustration of the wooden toy boy sits on the bottom of the page, with his nose as long as one, two, three lies. About ten stanzas long, this tale is only a part of the 171 page long book of poems for young readers. The silly and quirky stories use different types of ...more
NadiaN99
جدا از اين كه از خارق العاده هم فراتره،چقدر ترسناكه
بعضي شعراش واقعا مورمورم كرد
April*procrastinator and proud*
lol!
i can recite a poem right form it!!
Ickle me, pickle me, tickle me too
ent for a ride in a flying shoe, hooray what fun,
its time we flew,
cried Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too,

Ickle was captain Pickle was crew Tickle serves cofee and mulligan stew and higher and higher and higher they flew,
Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too.

Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too,
Never returned to the world they knew,
and no one knows what happened to,
dear Ickle me, Pickle me Tickle me too,.

lawl, that was my favorite
Arghavan
Sep 27, 2013 Arghavan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: داریم
خیــلی بچه بودم که اینُ خوندم. خیـــلیا! جزوِ اولین کتابهاییه که خوندم تا جایی که یادمه. همون حدودای چار سال و اینام باید بودهباشه. :-؟ بعد یادمه اونموقع یواشکی خوندمش؛ انقـدر خوب بود که وقتی باهار اومد توی اتاق و این رو دستم دید نفهمیدم و به خوندن ادامه دادم. :ی
بسیار دوستداشتنی و نوستالژیک ه برای من.

این که وضعیتِ ظاهری کتاب رو Poor زدهم، بهخاطرِ این ه که ورقورق شده از فرط خوندهشدن. :-"
Madilyn
Oct 17, 2015 Madilyn rated it really liked it
8Y - 178 pages

Perhaps you’ve heard of Shel Silverstein and wanted to know why he’s so famous for being a poet. With Falling Up, written and also having drawings done by Shel Silverstein, you can see many of his poems, along with drawings that go with them. A very effective literary element used in this poem collection is rhyming, or even at times, internal rhyming. For example, in one poem, a line says, “‘Rocky Road,” croaked the toad.” The rhyming brings it all together.

Another effective litera
Lorryn Woodward
I read this years ago when I was younger but I do think I need to read them again. I want to read them to the kids but the stack of books to read them is already out of control and only one actually stays listening....
They are so cute and I remembered a few once I read them again. Where the Sidewalk Ends will always be my favorite of the two.
Dolly
Feb 06, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I received Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic as presents as a child and they are still treasured possessions. We've read them together and our girls love the poems, especially our youngest. So for her birthday this year, I bought her this book. I think I read it years ago, but since I didn't own it, I don't know the poems nearly as well.

Our youngest only 'allows' us to read a couple of poems together each night, so it took us quite a long time to finish this book. It was just as
Darion Williams
Apr 29, 2016 Darion Williams rated it it was amazing
This book was also just a mixture of a lot of poems in one book and they were all cool. I liked this book because it was really really funny and some of them were super weird. I would recommend this book to [eople who like poems that are funny and weird.
Alyssa Davila
Apr 15, 2010 Alyssa Davila rated it it was amazing
i remember when i was in first grade, i had to do read a poem from his poem book Falling Up and i decided to pick a poem about this little kid going home and he notices a hat following him, the little kid gets all paranoid and relizes the hat has a tail. the little boy picks up the hat a comes to find that under the hat was either a little cat or a dog, i really cant remember, it was kind of a long time ago. but those poems made up my childhood. they made me think, analize, and got me to believe ...more
Morgan
Aug 03, 2016 Morgan marked it as to-read
I need to read this all the way through.
Elizabeth Martinez
Nov 04, 2015 Elizabeth Martinez rated it it was amazing
Fantastic poetry book! it is the first time I ready a book written by Shel Silverstein and I absolutely adored it. Falling up is a very clever and funny poetry book that kids will probably love just because its silly and not serious (even the drawings are silly!). I definitely laughed a lot while reading some of the poems and I am sure that Silverstein's silliness will be appreciated by mid to upper elementary school kids. My favorite poem was snowball, and I think its just a great poem to descr ...more
Sheena
Jan 26, 2009 Sheena rated it it was amazing
Great book. Really fun to read outloud to my children. I find it more fun to read as an adult than it was as a child. Just brilliant. Favorite poem.
Tell me pg. 154

Tell me I'm sensitive,
Graceful and wise,
Tell me I'm perfect-
But tell me the truth.

This book is as close to perfection as can be. And that's the truth.
Scarlet Cameo
Jul 29, 2015 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it
Shelves: rc-15
"Me señalan, ríen y me lanzan escupitajos
(como hay barrotes no pueden hacerme daño)
Luego gritan 'Haz algo', y me quedo pensando
qué es lo que esperan que haga un ser humano.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Antes que nada debo decir que de verdad sí les interesa leer este libro léanlo en inglés, varios de los poemas he tenido la oportunidad de leerlos traducidos o de leerlos en idioma original y es 100% mejor en su idioma original.

"Dicen que tengo la misma nariz que mi padre,
los mismos ojos que mi abuelo
y el mismo pelo q
Leslie
Jan 14, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it
I loved this book it was amazing. I loved how creative and funny all the poems are. I also loved how none of the poems are the same. Most poetry books have some type of similarity they all might have the same theme, topic or genres. When it comes to Shel Silverstein though his poems are all unique and different in such an amazing way ! To be fair though Shel Silverstein is no ordinary author he is quite spectacular so it would make sense why his poems are so original. What I also liked about the ...more
Ayla Saruhan
Apr 15, 2016 Ayla Saruhan rated it liked it
This book didn't really have a summary as it was a poetry book filled with mulitple different poems that represented different topics. However, I could tell that the main ideas from the book were based around children's imagination and it had a number of scenerious and ideas that I remember thinking about when I was a child. This is one of the few books that doesn't need an excellent plot to make it a great book because it has such a great writing style and a way of expressing feelings.
I really
Tony
Nov 03, 2014 Tony rated it really liked it
This review is specifically for the poem "Danny O'Dare" The plot is very simple. There's a bear who escapes from the carnival and wants to dance with a girl. He tries impressing her with dances and at the end, he makes a gesture to her to dance with him.

There's little to none characterization. The bear seems to be a happy bear, and very outgoing. He's smiling so he is very happy. He is also, Nevertheless.... a dancer. The way they describes the bear in the course of a small poem is interesting.
Jordan Croom
Dec 09, 2014 Jordan Croom added it
Shelves: poetry
In his book Falling Up, Shel Silverstein has compiled a collection of both serious and humorous poems. Some of the poems are realistic fiction, but most of the poems included in this book are wild and outlandish. Not only that, but they are clever and catch your attention. They invoke thought. These kinds of books are a great way to introduce students to a number of different types of poems, as well as giving them something funny and different to read. This book would be a great book to pull fro ...more
Kiera Burnett
Dec 07, 2014 Kiera Burnett rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-307, poetry
Summary and Critique:
In Silverstein’s anthology, he includes numerous silly poems, most accompanied by simple illustrations. In true Silverstein style, he creates poetry that appeals to a wide age range and discusses a variety of topics. This book is sure to engage young readers and excite them about poetry. I enjoyed reading the poem “Little Hoarse” because it describes the use of figurative language, using figurative language. When a man complains of being a “Little Hoarse” the children mistak
Ericka
Apr 01, 2014 Ericka rated it really liked it
Funny rhyming and stories (poems). Great read for adults and children. I have never read any of Shel silverstein books, but I will now and have my son read his books also. I would to see how his 10 yr imagination works. This poem reminds me so much of my son.

"Obedient"

Teacher said, “You don’t obey.
You fidget and twidget
And won’t sit down.
So go stand in the corner now
"Til I say you can turn around.”
So there I stood ‘til it got dark
Without a whimper or a tear,
"Til everybody else went home.
I guess
Alex Matsu
Jun 09, 2010 Alex Matsu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grade-8-ir-books
Falling up is a collection of Shell Silverstien's best poems, and there is no time or date but it is spread worldwide. There are dozens of characters, but most of the poems are about weird things happening to children and old people. All of the poems rhyme or carry a beat. My favorite is HELP! It is about a unicorn who's horn is stuck in a tree but when you try to help it, he gets protective about his horn and and asks you so many questions until you walk away.
My connection is text-to-world, f
  • A Pizza the Size of the Sun
  • And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • If I Were in Charge of the World and Other Worries: Poems for Children and Their Parents
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
  • Science Verse
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
  • The Big Orange Splot
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...

“Tell my I'm clever,
Graceful and Wise
Tell me I'm perfect--
But tell me the TRUTH.”
655 likes
“why can't you see i'm a kid', said the kid.
Why try to make me like you?
Why are you hurt when I don't cuddle?
Why do you sigh when I splash through a puddle?
Why do you scream when I do what I did?
Im a kid.”