Start by marking “Light on Pranayama: Pranayama Dipika” as Want to Read:
Light on Pranayama: Pranayama Dipika

Light on Pranayama: Pranayama Dipika

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this classic, a yoga master describes the techniques of breathing together with a comprehensive background of yoga philosophy in this authoritative, practical and indispensable guide.
Published 1992 by Aquarian Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Light on Pranayama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light on Pranayama

Dennis Littrell
Iyengar, B.K.S. Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (1993)
The theory behind the practice

There was yoga before the time of Patanjali but it was not written down, or at least no text survives. We find elements of the practice in the Upanishads and of course in the Bhagavad Gita. But before Patanjali's codification there was no systematic text to guide the aspirant. Since then Patanjali's sutras have been translated into many languages along with commentary to elucidate the concise text, with Vya
Kimz Zahour
You would not believe what a struggle it’s been to get through this book. It’s way over-due and the fines are racking up. :S
I would say I hated it and rate it poorly if it were not packed with so much valuable information… but that is part of the problem. The subject of Yoga is so vast and integrated that it would be difficult to learn in depth just one of the eight limbs such as Pranayama without at least some mention of the others.
The first half of the book attempts to nutshell much informati
h
took me a long while, but i finally finished reading Iyengar's guide to pranayama practice. exceptionally detailed and full of examples and metaphors to describe experiences. it's a fairly practical guide, and a good resource.
Kat
Mar 17, 2011 Kat marked it as incomplete  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read all of the information on the techniques, only the introduction to pranayama and yoga. That had nothing to do with Iyengar, and more to do with me changing the topic of my final paper and focusing on other reading.
Carol
Outstanding read! Another example of why one should not judge a book by its cover or by flipping through the pages. I read this first of two required readings on the subject of pranayama thinking it would be the hardest to digest. It was surprisingly very easy to read. Great review of yoga philosophy. Anatomy and physiology is explained in easy to understand terminology and I was amazed at the things I did not know about the human body, specific to the respiratory system, and again reminded of w ...more
Steph
hard to follow sometimes... the first few chapters jump around and define a lot of sanskrit words that seem overwhelming. the practice instructions are more towards the back. i'm reading this along with a class i'm taking, so that helps make sense of it all. (and iyengar says to practice with the help of a teacher!)
Manish
Why does he need to expound Hindu religious philosophies while teaching breathing practices ? while I recommend the book as a health aid, I could easily skip the religious BS.
Bryan
thee book on pranayama. WIll be on the reading shelf for years. it is so dense and thorough. a must for anyone interested in yoga.
Alistair Baillie
Of all Iyengar's books I've found this one most useful in my yoga training and development
Thomas
This book is the best bathtub reading ever! For short baths.
Sucheta
Awesome! coming from a traditional Yoga guru.
Joyce
This is one I read and re-read.
Jeuline
lil bit heavy.. extreamly detailed and could be clearer done which photos are "how to NOT do" and "how to do".. this couldve been done lots better. altho Iyengar has a fascinating knowledge that I admire, the book is dry..
Divya
Divya marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Patricia Walsh
Patricia Walsh marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Sue Behera
Sue Behera marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Parag
Parag marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Lynn Chambrier
Lynn Chambrier marked it as to-read
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Bri
Bri marked it as to-read
Sirimas
Sirimas marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Conner Motzkus
Conner Motzkus is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
  • Yoga from the Inside Out: Making Peace with Your Body Through Yoga
  • Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar (Kannada: ಬೆಳಳೂರ ಕೃಷಣಮಾಚಾರ ಸುಂದರರಾಜ ಐಯಂಗಾರ), (also known as Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar) (Born December 14, 1918 in Bellur, Kolar District, Karnataka, India) is the founder of Iyengar Yoga. He is considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world and has been practicing and teaching yoga for more than 75 years. He has written many books on yogic practi ...more
More about B.K.S. Iyengar...
Light on Yoga Light on Life The Tree of Yoga (Shambhala Classics) Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health