Start by marking “A Light in the Attic” as Want to Read:
A Light in the Attic

A Light in the Attic

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  236,755 ratings  ·  1,928 reviews
It's hard to imagine a world without A Light in the Attic. This now-classic collection of poetry and drawings from Shel Silverstein celebrates its 20th anniversary with this special edition. Silverstein's humorous and creative verse can amuse the dowdiest of readers. Lemon-faced adults and fidgety kids sit still and read these rhythmic words and laugh and smile and love th ...more
Published October 7th 1981 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about A Light in the Attic, please sign up.

Jenny L. McGee Quirky, funny and creative childrens poems that spur imagination and literary conversations with your kids. I loved it as a kid .grade school reading…moreQuirky, funny and creative childrens poems that spur imagination and literary conversations with your kids. I loved it as a kid .grade school reading level.(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeTwilight by Stephenie MeyerPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best Books Ever
219th out of 38,683 books — 144,831 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
30th out of 3,214 books — 6,107 voters

More lists with this book...

Austin
Mar 07, 2008 Austin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Austin by: Almost Everyone
Every child eventually discovers the perverted old man who wrote songs for Johnny Cash, did illustrations for Playboy, appeared on the Dr. Demento show numerous times, and managed to get a few books published along the way.

For some reason, parents never seem to think this creepy old guy who was so fond of children was in any way "disturbing," something I'm continually impressed with in the "ban now, ask questions later" climate of modern culture. If there are people who don't like Shel Silverst
Ronyell
“A Light in the Attic” is one of Shel Silverstein’s best yet most controversial books of poems ever written. This book is full of poems about clowns, pirates, monsters and all manner of strange people and animals doing crazy things. “A Light in the Attic” may be too suggestive and morbid for smaller children, but older children will easily delight themselves with the silly shenanigans of the characters.

Shel Silverstein’s writing is as witty as it is funny as he writes each character’s stories i
Janine
Apr 09, 2007 Janine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is or was a child. Those who were never children probably wouldn't get it anyway.
Shelves: kidsbooks
The feelings I have about Shel Silverstein's A Light in the Attic and Where The Sidewalk Ends contrast so sharply with the books themselves. I loved these funny, whimsical and sometimes downright sadistic poems with all of my young heart. Even now, I feel like I'm getting away with something when I think of Clarence Lee from Tennesee who loved the commercials he saw on TV. I am still afraid for Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too who never returned to the world they knew. In Shel Silverstein's bo ...more
Valerie
Recently, I started re-reading A Light in the Attic with my younger daughter, who's four-and-a-half. I think when I first read it I must have been about eight or nine years old, because I remember reading it myself, and loving it. (I must have checked it out of the library about a million times.) What's not to love? Shel gives us such gems as:

BEAR IN THERE
There's a Polar Bear
In our Frigidaire--
He likes it 'cause it's cold in there.
With his seat in the meat
And his face in the fish
And his big hair
Emily May
“Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.”
Rachel
Shel Silverstein was the author of my childhood, and I was surprised to find that, in (sort of) adulthood, A light in the Attic hasn't lost any of its charm. In fact, I've discovered new layers of humor and meaning I couldn't have processed when I was eight.

I credit Shel Silverstein with my early love of poetry and, ultimately, literature. Recommend to anyone at any age, but a GREAT gift for a godson/ goddaughter, niece/ nephew, etc.. They'll cherish it forever!
DJ Harris
Need to feel like a kid again? Cozy up with this humorous and whimsical book of poetry. Kids of all ages are sure to enjoy Shel Silverstein's fanciful word play in this amusing collection.

Besides reading this book myself, I also purchased a copy of this book for my children and grandchildren. It is a good book to get your children into reading.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book!

A Light in the Attic (Hardcover) by Shel Silverstein

Excerpt:

"Somebody Has To

Somebody has to go polish the stars,
They’re looking a little bit dull.
Somebody has to go polish the
Neda
"The saddest thing I ever did see
Was a woodpecker peckin' at a plastic tree.
He looks at me, and "Friend," says he,
' "Things ain't as sweet as they used to be."

While reading I noticed that I've had read it long ago.. But I just couldn't stop! I just love Shel!
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. One of those books that can be enjoyed by children and adults depending on how deeply you dive into the meaning of the stories. Incredibly imaginative and very well done.
Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
এই বইটা বেশ অনেকদিন ধরে একটু একটু করে পড়ছিলাম। পাগলামির একশেষ। অদভুত একটা বই। উদভট সব কনসেপট। আজগুবি সব ছবি। তবুও আমার অনেএএএএক ভাল লেগেছে। পোয়েম গুলো মূলত ননসেনস পোয়েম। কিনতু বেশ অনেকগুলোরই ইনার ডেপথও আছে। বইয়ের পরায় দেড়শ পোয়েমের মাঝে দুই/একটা পোয়েম নিয়ে আমার আপততি থাকলেও সেটার জনয একটা তারা কেটে দেয়াটা উচিত হবে না বলেই মনে হল।

ফাইনাল পরীকষার সটরেসফুল কয়েকটি সপতাহ জুড়ে সটরেস ভুলে কিছু সময় দাঁত বের করে হেসে কাটানো গেল এই বইটা থাকাতে। ধনযবাদ শেল সিলভারসটাইন। আপনাকে আমি ইংরেজি ভাষার সুকুমার রায় বলে
Cathy
Oct 26, 2007 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who giggle
Shel Silverstein was misunderstood.

He was a genius, but not an evil one. Just a hilarious one.

His books are looked at with suspicion. But shouldn't be, because they are full of fun, pun, and literate value.

Here is why this one was challenged by others, however:

"features a caricature of a person whose nude behind has been stung by a bee; the poem 'Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony' is morbid; imparts a 'dreary' and 'negative' message; encourages kids to break dishes so that they won't have t
Luke Lafountain
Apr 06, 2008 Luke Lafountain rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Luke by: Everyone
I am going to start out by saying I really loved this book. i have been getting into poems lately so i decided to read this. There really is no main story but is just a collage of poems. It is primarily meant for children but the values expressed in it are one everyone should know-no matter what age. Everything is pretty direct and simple so its not a chore to read. This is a very simple book that i think everyone should read.
Carrie
Mar 15, 2008 Carrie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone who needs to giggle.
I used this book for a talent show in Jr High. I don't remember what poem I did, but one that I incidentally memorized along the way is still really funny to me.

Crowded Tub

There s too many kids in this tub.
There s too many elbows to scrub.
I just washed a behind
That I m sure wasn t mine
There s too many kids in this tub.

I quote it for my kids and they look at me in shock and then start giggling. The imagery is just too good. :)
Beth
Picture this,
I am 7,its Christmas and all the gifts are wrapped and under the tree.
I could see through the wrapping paper a faint outline of the cover of A Light in the Attic.
I begged.
I screamed.
I was not allowed to open the present even though I knew what it was.
But... I still have the original copy and read it to my son and because of my harrowing experience I love this book even more.
rinabeana
This is one of my childhood favorites. I've had it for years and it's all battered because I've read the poems so often. Oddly enough, it's the only book of Silverstein's poems that I own, though I'm familiar with many more of his poems. This one will always be my favorite, though. I can recite so many of the poems from memory. If you ever need to be cheered up, I'd recommend this book!
Melissa
Just one of the treasures you stumble upon while searching through Goodreads. The books you forgot all about even though they were absolute favorites when you were a kid. I didn't like this one quite as much as Where the Sidewalk Ends The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein by Shel Silversteinbut it's still one remembered fondly from years and years and years and......you get the idea, lol, ago.

Loved these so much "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is one I bought my own daughter because I adored it so much and I actually still have my original copy. Wonderful memories....and I have
Sara Alaee
I've never roped a Brahma bull,
I've never fought a duel,
I've never crossed the desert
On a lop-eared, swayback mule,
I've never climbed an idol's nose
To steal a curs d jewel.
I've never gone down with my ship
Into the bubblin' brine,
I've never saved a lion's life
And then had him save mine,
Or screamed Ahoooo while swingin' through
The jungle on a vine.
I've never dealt draw poker
In a rowdy lumber camp,
Or got up at the count of nine
To beat the world's champ,
I've never had my picture on
A six-cent postage
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Alas, there will never be another Shel Silverstein...boo hoo.
Michael Strode
In the pantheon of literature shaping my nascent creative flicker, Shel Silverstein remains a master of lunacy and language. Long after losing my appetite for R.L. Stine's "Fear Street" or the frightful suspense of Alvin Schwartz' "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark", Silverstein's whimsical passages continue to invoke nostalgic and thoughtful reflection. Of "The Giving Tree", my mother echoes the undeviating refrain that it is a woeful fable of an ungrateful child and a loving, long suffering pa ...more
Krista Lineweaver
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein is a book of poetry intended for children ages eight to twelve. It is a book filled with a collection of poetry and drawings by the author. They are humorous and filled with creativity. The illustrations are somewhat creepy and different. Children, I'm sure, will enjoy reading these different collections of poetry as they grow up. Some of the poems rhyme, which will gain the attention of several readers. The poems will make you laugh and give off differen ...more
Amber Adams
One picture puzzle piece

Lyin’ on the sidewalk,

One picture puzzle piece

Soakin’ in the rain.

It might be a button of blue

On the coat of the woman

Who lived in a shoe.

It might be a magical bean,

Or a fold in the red

Velvet robe of a queen.

It might be the one little bite

Of the apple her stepmother

Gave to Snow White.

It might be the veil of a bride

Or a bottle with some evil genie inside.

It might be a small tuft of hair

On the big bouncy belly

Of Bobo the Bear.

It might be a bit of the cloak

Of the Witch of th
Leslie Rock
Shel Silverstein has long been one of my favorite authors. His stories and poetry are written with the craft of wit and humor. In some poems he uses the craft of repetition and in others he just writes creatively. A Light in the Attic is just one of his many amazing books of compiled poems.

"If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful, boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
('Stead of going to the store)
If you have to dry the dishes
And you drop one on the floor -
Maybe they won't let you
Dry th
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Light in the Attic, Shel Silverstein
عنوان: نوری در اتاق زیر شیروانی؛ نویسنده: شل سیلورستاین؛ مترجم: حمید خادمی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، کتاب پنجره، چاپ دوم 1380، در 197 ص، مصور، شابک: 9649225757؛ فارسی انگلیسی؛ کتاب پیشتر با عنوان «فانوس زیرشیروانی» توسط انتشارات کیا در سال 1378 با ترجمه فاطمه جعفرزاده در 48 ص با شابک: 9649219390؛ منتشر شده است
موضوع: شعر برای کودکان و نوجوانان از نویسندگان امریکایی، ترجمه شده به فارسی، قرن 20 م

عنوان: چراغی در زیر شیروانی؛ نویسنده و تصویرگر: شل سیلورستاین؛ مترجم: طو
Trisha
I absolutely loved this. Got to share it with my youngest as we each took turns reading.
I still love the "I cannot got to school today" and she loved one about boogers! Good fun!
Ashlie Nelson
This is one of those books every child should have the pleasure of having in their book collection. I remember going to the bookstore with my Mom and her buying it. We read it together that night and all the silly crazy poems had us both laughing. I would find myself always sitting on my bedroom floor going through my book and this was always one I would spend time reading. I would memorize some of my fave poems in the book and repeat them to everyone for weeks and months. They are very catchy a ...more
Ghadah
It just baffles how some writers are able to write a book that is equally enjoyable by children and adults. Pure talent.
Freckles
Normálně jsem dojatá.
Analicia De Anda
This book, as well as Where the Sidewalk Ends, won me several awards in grade school and junior high school for various speech contests, and for that alone I'm thankful! I still use it today, I just presented a speech in my English class on the poem Where the Sidewalk Ends, and I got an A on it. :) My daughter auditioned for a play using the poem "Sick" and got a lead role. I must say Shel Silverstein is a genius, as well as a good luck charm for my family and me.
Behzad
"HURK"
I'd rather play tennis than go to the dentist.
I'd rather play soccer than go to the doctor.
I'd rather play hurk than go to work.
hurk?hurk? what's hurk?
I don't know but it must be better than work.
---------------------------------------------------------
"BATTY"
the baby bat
screamed out in fright,
"turn on the darrk,
I'm afraid of the light."
-------------------------------------------------------
Richie
i had an extensive discussion with two friends last night about Shel Silverstein's bizarre portrait on the back cover of this book. his smile is huge and his teeth are the brightest white i've ever seen; while i now believe that what i once thought was a lion's mane growing from his neck is actually the fur-lined hood of a winter coat, it remains almost indistinguishable from his beard.
  • The New Kid on the Block
  • The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1)
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • The Sleep Book
  • Tikki Tikki Tembo
  • In the Night Kitchen
  • Stellaluna
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  • The Eleventh Hour
  • The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)
  • Just Me and My Mom (Little Critter)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Spider and the Fly
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...
Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein The Giving Tree Falling Up The Missing Piece Every Thing on It

“Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.”
1759 likes
“When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?” 544 likes