Start by marking “Scarecrow” as Want to Read:
Scarecrow

Scarecrow

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
They perch high above gardens and fields, with borrowed coats and button eyes and pie pan hands that glint in the sun. What else is there to know about scarecrows? Perhaps more than we realize. Illustrations.
Published April 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published April 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Scarecrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarecrow

Kathryn
A beautiful, simple story about the beauty of leading a simple life. Scarecrow is a great example of "being in the now" and appreciating everything life gives to him, without ever being worried about what will come next or be taken away. There's some good wisdom for grown-ups here!!! (Tolle fans will probably like this.)
Kathryn
The one thing I thought this book was missing was rhyme. I think the story would have had a better flow. The moral of the story was so well depicted and the illustrations were big enough I wanted to touch each page. It really makes me want to make a scarecrow to live in my garden because I know what how content and happy they are.
Josiah
Jun 08, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
Somehow, in the pages of this understated yet majestic picture book, Cynthia Rylant has captured just what it means to be a human being, to know that one's time on earth isn't forever, and the vivid experiences of friendship and love and immersing oneself in the good things about this world will eventually dissolve and come to an end in the here and now.
It is spellbinding how Cynthia Rylant makes these experiences come so vibrantly to life in so few pages. The
Jenna Arntz
Oct 18, 2015 Jenna Arntz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book takes the reader and makes them be able to see the world through the eyes of a scarecrow. The story tells everything that a scarecrow sees, thinks and feels. I think that this would be a great read aloud, and also a great mentor text. This story could help children to become better writers and to describe things in a different way.
Linda Lipko
This author weaves pure magic. Each and every book, whether illustrated, or YA, appears to be written from the heart. Composed of many things, a carrot, a hat, a shirt, a hat, each piece woven together to make a whole.

As we experience the seasons through his eyes, there is a calmness and serenity.
This guy has his act together. He accepts his bird and animal friends, he enjoys the seasons and he knows just who he is.

Ah, if we could all be like him...content.
The Brothers
A story that examines the world through the eyes of a scarecrow. We delve deep into the scarecrow's "long, slow thoughts" about the seasons, and animals, an cycles of life.

Nice enough illustrations.
Jenna
I thought the plot of this story was okay. The book explains the simple life of a scarecrow, but I would have liked to see more detail of the life of a scarecrow. The pictures were great though!
Valerie Robinson
I did this book for literacy week at our school. My kids loved the beautiful pictures and the prose that described the simplistic life of a scarecrow.
Annie Carbutt
A scarecrow who was created from the random nothingness of scraps and trash sits in a field every day and stares at the sky. His life’s only purpose is to sit and be happy with his connection to the sky and the earth. This book is utterly disappointing. Though the illustrations are beautiful, the message stinks and the writing does too. There is no plot and no purpose except to say that being created from random nothingness should be good enough. This is a poorly constructed book that I would no ...more
Erica
Take a look at the world through the eyes of a scarecrow. See what he see and feels from his place in the gardens and fields. With little text, the illustrations do their part to tell the story very easily. Younger students will enjoy this tale especially in this perspective. It's a new take on looking at an object that so many of us see in our lifetime during harvesting or fall. This book will be a great one to have on hand in the classroom during that time of year.
Vanessa Peavy
Apr 12, 2012 Vanessa Peavy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601
Such a beautiful story about living life simple. The scarecrow isn't by no means unhappy. He loves and knows just what he is. Reading this story to children will help them understand that they should be appreciative of life and the things they have. They scarecrow is peaceful and all the animals around him seem to take to his kindness. Inferring/Questioning of the words and pictures throughout the story would be a great lesson.

Grades:1-2

jimtown
Jan 24, 2015 jimtown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While cutting through the childrens section of the library one day, this book caught my eye. I had to take it home and check out all the pictures! I love scarecrows and make one every year. This book had a little history and some tips for creating your own scarecrow, including some ideas for what youll need but the best part is the scarecrow art. An enchanting book for children and adults alike. ...more
Scooping it Up
Nov 28, 2013 Scooping it Up rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrible
This was the most bizarre nonsense book. It made ZERO sense, even in metaphor. Almost immediately I had to start making up a story while reading it to my kids because I actually disagreed with the text's message and philosophy and thought it was written when the author was emotional, hopped up on pain meds, or something weird going on.

Lovely pictures, the text was a hot mess.
Katherine
Nov 08, 2010 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday
This book is wonderful for season change, especially when it is getting cold! It has a great point of view from the scarecrow. Something that stuck out to me when I was little was that a scarecrow did not just scare birds but it scared me to. I like that they turn something that a child might be scared of into something sweet and relatable! Great story!
Linda
Feb 16, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a new favorite picture book!
I was doing a book signing this past Saturday at Barrington Books. I arrived early, as usual, so I had a chance to check out the store. I found this book and had to get it for my grandson. He loved it. Asked me to read it again and again today. My only regret is that the only copy in the store was a paperback.
Matthew
Jul 25, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most recent examples of Rylant's mastery of the written word. The scarecrow endlessly personified clarifies any and all confusion about a fictional character done right. I really came to understand this scarecrow for what he aspires to be in these pages. I really truly enjoyed this book.
Kiana Sims
This book would be ideal for teaching a lesson on compound words. I have used this book in my field placement but I'm not sure if I would use it again for second grade. It wasn't interesting enough for them. I would also use this when talking about seasons, weather, and harvest.
April Evans
This is a story of a scarecrow that is happy being who he is. He doesn't mind that one day he might not be there or that he is made from borrowed items. He is content living a simple, enjoyable life.
Kaylie Singleton
I thought this was a cute book about the life of a scarecrow. It goes through and talks about the many things that scarecrows see throughout the years. The illustrations are also very appealing.
Heather
Sep 24, 2011 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
28 months - we have read many things by this author and really enjoyed The Old Lady Who Named Things. However this story was just ok.
Olivia Bailey
It tells about the life of a scarecrow. The students will learn the purpose of scarecrows and see life from a scarecrow's perspective.
Judy Desetti
A nice selection but nothing really grabbed me about this book. Reminded me of Scarecrow Dance by Yolen, but not quite as good.
Tracy Morton
Nice illustrations. Talks about the daily life of a scarecrow. Not too wordy so good for younger audiences.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Beth
Sep 03, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Learn about all of the different parts that make up a scarecrow. This is a fine book to discuss perspective.
Jenn
Sep 11, 2012 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a little bittersweet, but i will read it again (and try to work it into a story time, maybe).
Teri
Oct 09, 2010 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall
Plot is not so great, but the illustrations are nice.
Cyndy
Jul 12, 2011 Cyndy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
great read - love the circular structure
Miss Kelly
Mentor text for descriptive writing
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
  • The Scarecrow's Dance
  • Flip And Flop
  • The Three Questions
  • The Important Book
  • The Seashore Book
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...