Start by marking “Rediscovering God in America: Reflections on the Role of Faith in Our Nation's History and Future” as Want to Read:

A simple walk through Washington, D.C. began a profound journey of personal discovery and renewal for Newt Gingrich, one of America's most influential politicians and commentators. At the National Archives, the immortal words from the Declaration of Independence that we "are endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights," jumped off the page and into his heart wit ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Integrity Publishers (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rediscovering God in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rediscovering God in America

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
The Worst Books of All Time
151st out of 6,348 books — 17,388 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesScientology by L. Ron HubbardMen Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus by John  GrayHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradGuilty by Ann Coulter
Writers That I Do not Care For
15th out of 43 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
Dec 12, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
First, let's get the bad out of the way - while I like Newt Gingrich's political philosophy and am eternally grateful to him for leading the contract with America back in the '90s, I have a hard time getting over his personal history. He is now on wife #3, coincidentally a cute little blonde who takes photos. And coincidentally enough, she took the photos for this book. They're good, although honestly nothing that is any better than what I took on my 2008 trip to DC.

Also, in the introduction New
Louis
Dec 22, 2013 Louis rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful primer for those that wake up one day and find that they have been ignorant their entire life as to just how deeply ingrained religion, and specifically Christianity, was to the foundation of our nation, and the structure of our form of government.

Our modern public education (being generous here by calling it education) system has completely whitewashed any hint of religion from the history that is taught to our children. Our children no longer grow up learning about a s
Lisa Johnson
Jun 23, 2016 Lisa Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Rediscovering God in America (3rd Edition)
Author: Newt & Callista Gingrich
Pages: 192
Year: 2016
Publisher: Center Street
My rating is 5 stars.
Most of Americans are aware of the battles of expressions of faith and other threats to our Constitutional freedoms. Perhaps for too long we have depended on schools, churches and other institutions to continue teaching as well as promoting citizenship. Times have certainly changed since I grew up when I recited the Pledge of Allegiance or sing ou
Don Weidinger
Oct 25, 2015 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a justice recuse self due to speech, under God, rights from God, we the people only, courts and classrooms against, Dec of Indep rights from God and Magna Carta from king, anti-Catholic know nothing party, Lincoln 2nd inaugural address, we should be on Lord’s side vs He on our side, FDR continuance of prayer Thy will be done almighty God, Hitler eliminate all religious symbols, Jefferson wall of separation, National Archives and Supreme Court with 10 Commandments, Moses Mohammed Charlemagne Conf ...more
Joseph
Nov 17, 2014 Joseph rated it it was ok
Rediscovering God alternates between a tour guidebook of all the monuments and buildings in Washington DC that have a mention or background of God in its conception; and making a blanket argument against those who would attempt to remove mention of God or religion in government. It does the former well and provides a nice historical context of each monument and how each is imbued with religious symbolism, but the latter feels out of place and sometimes intrusive. The argument laid primarily addr ...more
Warren
Jan 30, 2011 Warren rated it really liked it
Fantastic historical tour of the role of God in the foundation of America and how it is reflected in the various buildings, memorials, and exibits in and around our nation's Capitol city.
Cafelilybookreviews
Apr 28, 2010 Cafelilybookreviews rated it liked it

This book written by Newt & Callista Gingrich, gives readers a “walking” tour of Washington, D.C.

This work is a good reminder of just how spiritual and God-fearing our founding fathers were. I enjoyed the quotations as well as the photographs that are a part of this book. The “tour” takes you through The National Archives, The Washington Monument, The Jefferson Memorial, The Lincoln Memorial, The Vietnam Veterans Memorial, The Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, The Capitol Building, The Su
Kipi
Dec 19, 2009 Kipi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kipi by: Thomas Nelson
In the era of the hard left's attempt to wipe faith and religion from the history of the United States, this is an interesting look at both the actions, statements and beliefs of not only our country's founding fathers but those of our leaders from the not-so-distant past. These men believed that faith and freedom go hand in hand, that faith is indeed essential to maintain freedom. Those who believe that the "wall of separation between church and state" of which Thomas Jefferson wrote meant that ...more
Jack Hansen
The book, Rediscovering God in America: Reflections on the Role of Faith in Our Nation's History and Future, by Newt Gingrich, is a review for this reader having read, listened, and viewed many books, Audiobooks, DVD's, and seminars by another American premier historian, David Barton. Newt Gingrich's account gives veracity to the claim that the United States of America is a Christian nation. It is evidenced in the written word of those who came before us and the Judao-Christian icons and symbols ...more
Beth Bedee
Jan 21, 2012 Beth Bedee rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
This book makes me want to book a trip to Washington D.C. and go sight-seeing. I've been to D.C., but I was a kid and don't remember much except my mom chasing after Ted Kennedy through the Rotunda of the Capitol. It's a quick and easy read and really makes you appreciate our nation's history. It's essentially a walking tour through the main national memorials and monuments that points out the presence of God and faith in our history. I especially loved the brief historical background behind eac ...more
Dennis
Mar 24, 2011 Dennis rated it really liked it
Excellent book. I enjoyed the Authors insights and historical references about various monuments in DC.
This book should be required reading in all high schools.
It is quick read, with pictures/map at the end, and the background concerning the monuments is a treat to read.

Mr Gingrich's reason for penning the book is to show God as an important part in American Republic earlist history.
The way he does this is educational, and heartfelt at times.

Another reason is to rail against the Ninth Circuit Co
Derrick Jeter
Jan 17, 2016 Derrick Jeter rated it really liked it
Former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, provides a walking tour through the nation's capital and reminds us that our founding fathers were not enlightened, secularists, but were enlightened men of faith. Exploring the monuments and memorials of our nation, Gingrich offers a refreshing reflection on the role of faith in America's history ... and future.
Tyler
Jan 17, 2010 Tyler rated it it was ok
Newt accomplished what he wanted to w/ this book: demonstrating the obvious respect, reverence, and influence of God on our nation's founders. It truly is undeniably written into our country's fabric. However, I think Newt shares some viewpoints with many leaders that I find extremely inaccurate: an allegiance "to God and country." As blessed as I feel to live in this wonderful country, the USA is not a "new Israel." Many Scriptures that get used are wielded completely out of context, and we oft ...more
Tammy Partridge
May 21, 2014 Tammy Partridge rated it really liked it
Newt's book is based on a walking tour of some of the most significant monuments in Washington, D.C. It is an interesting read because it lists many interesting historical details about the monuments and why they are important to America. He leads the reader on quests for further research into the monuments and how they impacted the country from the time they were built through the present.

The book has a slight religious slant to it which can be a turn off. Newt makes many good arguments about
Reading Faerie
Sep 06, 2015 Reading Faerie rated it liked it
3.5 starts. I thought it was going to be more in-depth, but it was still interesting.
Glenette
Mar 04, 2016 Glenette rated it liked it
Very interesting read. I look forward to finding all the references to religion during my next visit to D.C. this summer.
Robert Henry
Nov 20, 2015 Robert Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and insightful.
Gina Herald
Apr 27, 2011 Gina Herald rated it it was amazing
As someone who enjoys history, loves America and lived in the DC area for more than 15 years it was neat to read about all the places that I saw constantly and sort of took for granted because they were often right in front of me. Pretty cool to see how faith is truly woven into the history of our country no matter how hard some would try to dispute it. Newt does great work as usual.
Conrad
Aug 12, 2009 Conrad rated it it was ok
An interesting take on why America was founded on "Christian values." The thesis of the book is that our freedoms come from God and not from the government (true), and that the current move to totally secularize America goes against the founding principles of the nation. However, the book does not address the Christian-Right's agenda to make America some sort of theocracy.
Mike
Jan 07, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
The former Speaker of the House takes us on a walking tour of the nation's capital. Pointing out numerous references to God by the founding fathers as presented in the various important buildings in Washington.

It's a unique way to show that our current secular, God-free, society isn't what the founders had in mind at all.

A good, quick read.
Rosemary Daly
Apr 16, 2012 Rosemary Daly rated it really liked it
Very good look at the role of faith in our country - and the role it had in the lives of our country's founders. It's freedom OF religion (you can choose whichever one you want - or not choose any at all - it's up to you) not freedom FROM religion (no one can speak of morality or religious beliefs in a public forum). I definitely recommend the book.
Uncle
Oct 13, 2008 Uncle rated it liked it
Since Ihave been to DC a few times it made me want to look harder at some of the monuments I have visited and to return to DC to visit some of the monuments. Second it solidified my views that the liberal left is taking us farther and farther away for the intended path or our forefathers. I would probably pick up more Gingrich books..
Heather
May 23, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The author takes you on a tour around Washington D.C. to many of our country's historic buildings and sites. He gives a brief history of the site, some religious references at the location, and history of the person(s) that it memorializes, if applicable.
I enjoyed the book. many great inside tips of the locations.
Darrell
Dec 27, 2012 Darrell rated it really liked it
This was a nice little book. I really makes me want to take my family to Washington D.C. for a little scavenger hunt. Actually, the truth be told: I would love for author Newt Gingrich to take my family on a big tour of our nation's capital. Sweet!
Tom Talamantez
This book belongs in every home in America. Clearly documents the Christian origins of America, much of which is no longer taught in public schools. I consider myself very well versed in our countries founding, yet I learned a lot from this book.
Dick
Jan 12, 2009 Dick rated it liked it
My interest in this book was my growing faith and the faith of our Founding Fathers. We were founded by Christian men with core values and beliefs. Left me more frustrated by where the left and the 4th estate have taken this country.
Mary Chambers
Oct 15, 2011 Mary Chambers rated it it was amazing
All of us Americans should read this book. It reminds us of our Godly heritage and how our founding fathers and presidents honored God. None of this liberal keeping God out of things, prayer is the foundation of our nation.
Bookwyrmgyrl
Oct 06, 2011 Bookwyrmgyrl rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this book - learned more than I had expected to. One thing Gingrich does in this book is take you on a sort of tour of many sites and monuments in D.C. and point out the inscriptions which include God.
Jul 30, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This was a fun book that guides the reader on a tour of the different monuments of Washington DC. The author highlights the references to God and encourages modern Americans to keep that connection alive. Great read.
Tanya
Feb 28, 2011 Tanya rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I have never been to Washington so this book was very informative to me. God plays a very big part in our future and history and I highly recommend reading this book.
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War
  • The Light and the Glory for Children: Discovering God's Plan for America from Christopher Columbus to George Washington
  • World WarI: The Rest of the Story & How It Affects You Today
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • Good Tidings and Great Joy: Protecting the Heart of Christmas
  • The Intellectual Devotional: American History: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently about Our Nation’s Past
  • The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution
  • Original Intent: The Courts, the Constitution, & Religion
  • My Grandfather's Son
  • The Book of William: How Shakespeare's First Folio Conquered the World
  • The Heritage Guide to the Constitution
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
  • 7 Men Who Rule the World from the Grave
  • The Puritan Family: Religion and Domestic Relations in Seventeenth-Century New England
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • Caring Enough to Confront
Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich (born Newton Leroy McPherson) is an American politician who served as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. In 1995, Time magazine selected him as the Person of the Year for his role in leading the Republican Revolution in the House, ending 40 years of the Democratic Party being in the majority. During his tenure as Speaker, he re ...more
More about Newt Gingrich...