Start by marking “Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal, #3)” as Want to Read:
Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal, #3)

Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal #3)

Their love was always in the cards.
He should have thrown her out. But when club owner Alexander Lavoie catches a mysterious blonde counting cards at his vingt-et-un table, he's more intrigued than angry. He has to see more of this beauty—in his club, in his office, in his bed. But first he'll have to devise a proposition she can't turn down.

Gossip said he was an assassin.
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published January 31st 2017 by Forever

Stacey is Sassy
description

***IT'S ALIVE***

Ladies and gentlemen…we have a WINNER!!

I have a confession…I normally prefer my hero in a historical romance to be the stuck up, snobby aristocrat who looks down his nose at…the commoners. I get a kick out of their arrogance and bossiness. Their confidence, to me, sends shivers up my spine. Well, I’ve been proven wrong. It seems I can be stimulated by a confident commoner just as much…if not more.

I LOVED Between the Devil and the Duke. To be honest, I should probably remove a hal
Caz
Jun 28, 2016 Caz rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so thats 4.5 stars rounded up.

Kelly Bowen is one of the best of the bunch of new authors of historical romance to have emerged in the last couple of years, and she continues to show herself more than deserving of the praise her novels have received. I’ve reviewed a few and rated them highly, impressed by her ability to craft strong plotlines and characters, and to imbue her dialogue with unforced humour and realism. Best of all, she writes a strong, well-developed r
Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar

Angelique's life has turned her from a pampered Lady of wealth to a masked card counting lady trying to keep the bill collectors at bay.
Alex has been a farmer soldier fighting for his homeland to now the owner of the wealthiest gaming hell in London.
They both have their secrets but the spark and burn between them won't be denied. Lies, betrayals, mone
Joanita

Lady Angelique Archer has been trying to hold her family together since her parents died and their family fortune had gone missing. Her eldest newly titled brother is no help whatsoever since he spends his time and money on drinks and whores. Her affinity with numbers has given her the opportunity to make some money which her family desperately needed. And things were going well until she caught the attention of Mr. Lavoie. But instead of throwing her out of his gaming club he offers her a job.

Mei
Feb 06, 2017 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I confirm: I'm Ms. Bowen fan! :)

I love her writing style. It's just a right mix of descriptions, inner thoughts, great dialogue and hot attraction!

I also like that in this series the heroines are very interesting. Not just physically (they're romantic heroines and therefore beautiful), but also women with unsual talents.

Here we have Angelique who's a genoìius with numbers! Since I can add (or do any other mathematical calculation) worth a damn, I am deeply in awe when somebody can do that like A
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2lbGeV9

Bowen just gets better and better! Between the Devil and the Duke was a thrillingly unique adventure that kept me eagerly reading just...one...more...page. You know, instead of cleaning the house, or working on my steps. I just needed one...more...page first. lol I loved the characters, the daring, the mystery and set up. The entire world is rich, luscious and utterly delicious.

So the gist is that Alex? He's rather intrig
Roses R Blue
Jan 30, 2017 Roses R Blue rated it it was amazing
As reviewed at Roses Are Blue: http://wp.me/p3QRh4-tT

Angelique Archer never quite took during her first season. Because of her unwillingness to dance (which she did poorly) and her inability to make small talk, she soon became known as the Marble Maiden. She left society to take care of her dying mother, and never rejoined society as her father died not long after. With her family fortune seemingly vanished into thin air, and her wastrel brother continuing to spend extravagantly, Angelique has t
Annie
Feb 06, 2017 Annie rated it really liked it
I wasn't too keen on the background plot but I loved Angelique and Alex so much <33333
Amanda
“You have impressed me immeasurably, Lady Angelique.”
He was rewarded with a smile, one that actually reached her eyes, and the first one he had seen all night. “Good,” was all she said.”

I have been waiting to love, not just like or enjoy, a book in this series and finally it happened with Between the Devil and the Duke. Although, what’s not to love when Kelly Bowen has once again deployed her signature trope of heroes who end up completely (to quote Miss Ivory Moore) besotted with their heroin
Amanda
Feb 16, 2017 Amanda rated it liked it
The first two books in this series put Bowen on the auto-buy list for me. As improbable as the plots have been, the fact that she's had women engaged in unusual professions really captured my attention. I've been eagerly awaiting Alex's story (although not as much as King's, which I hope we'll get eventually even though she's moving on to a new series next). Unfortunately this book didn't quite meet my expectations.

Bowen has created another intriguing female protagonist in Angelique. I like the
Tracy T.
Feb 12, 2017 Tracy T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story and narration by Ashford McNab. (audible review)

I really love Kelly Bowen's books! She writes such great stories. I want to see more of her on audible!

This was a really good story. I liked Angelique a lot. Love a heroine that is good with numbers. She was strong, smart, witty and beautiful. Alex was great too. Rich, handsome, strong with the perfect amount of arrogance. They made a great couple together. The sex was hot and steamy but didn't take away from the story. I was very nicel
Phoenix77
Jan 09, 2017 Phoenix77 rated it really liked it
Kelly Bowen’s Season for Scandal series has introduced several intelligent and resourceful female characters but the third book Between the Devil and the Duke takes things one step further. Lady Angelique Archer is a true genius whose gift with mathematics may be the only salvation for her family. Her strength and composure in the face of overwhelming odds are bound to get noticed by a man who makes probability his living.

The mysterious woman had caught Alexander Lavoie’s eye from the first nigh
Teresa
Mar 23, 2017 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favorite one of this series. I've been intrigued by Alexander Lavoie since book one, and he was everything I hoped he'd be. I have loved that each book in this series has featured a strong, independent heroine, and that continued with Angelique. This book went in different directions than I expected, but I loved every one of them. It was full of adventure, action, intrigue, and lots of delicious chemistry.

Now I anxiously wait with fingers crossed in hopes that Kelly Bowen decides t
Laura J.
Mar 21, 2017 Laura J. rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. The heroine, Angelique, is in dire straits. Her parents are dead, her brother is an idiot on his way to ruin and her younger brothers' school tuition is past due. She's beautiful in an unfashionable sense, has a gift with numbers, resourceful and is honest with herself. The hero runs a high class gambling establishment and is a partner in a 'fixer' business. The hero, Alex, won me over when he was attracted to the heroine not only because of her beauty but because of her intellec ...more
Jaci
Jan 11, 2017 Jaci rated it it was amazing

This is the 7th book I have read from Kelly Bowen and they just keep getting better. Her characters are not always typical Regency well healed, handsome, hero's or wealthy young Debutantes looking for a husband on the marriage mart.
There are Pirates, Gambling hell owners and lots of other interesting and smart hero's and heroines. This story is about a young lady trying to keep her brother from bringing the rest of her family to ruin with his drinking and gambling.
Lady Angelique Archer is a gen
Under the Covers Book Blog
Jan 31, 2017 Under the Covers Book Blog rated it really liked it

This series has sneakily gotten to be one of my favorite finds of the last year! After reading the first book I wasn't that certain, but the different appeal of the storylines was the one thing that hooked me then. With every installment after that, Kelly Bowen has cemented herself as a historical romance author I'll be on the lookout for more. BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DUKE delivered on everything I've been anxiously awaiting for since the hero first made his mysterious appearance in book one.

Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
4 Stars

Why I Read It...

Kelly Bowen has become one of my favorite historical authors in the past year and I love what she is doing with this Season for Scandal series. Alex has been an integral part of the series and I wanted to know more about him especially in light of the information received in the previous installment, A Duke to Remember.

What I Liked About It...

1. Kelly Bowen continues to provide me with intelligent, spirited heroines who are unorthodox yet still feel realistic to the time p
Natalie
Feb 03, 2017 Natalie rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!!!

Kelly Bowen has really established herself as an author that delivers consistently solid, great historical romances because of her focus on the heroine's growth, progress, emotions, pleasure and of course, happiness.

Once again we return to Chegarre & Associates, and our associate this time is Alexander Lavoie, Elise's brother. Our heroine is Angelique Archer, the closed off lady who is playing vingt-et-un at Alex's club to scrape together money for her family's dwindling fortune.
Katie Michaels
Feb 02, 2017 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed every single book in the Season for Scandal series by Kelly Bowen. In fact, I think this one was my favorite. It features Alex Lavoie, the male member of the Chagarre and Associates team. He's also a spy of sorts and owner of a gaming hell. That is where he meets our heroine, Angelique.

She is something of a card shark. Brilliant with math. And it's that skill she hopes to use to save her family from complete destitution. Both of her parents are dead and her brother, though a peer
Cyndi
Jan 30, 2017 Cyndi rated it it was amazing
It's been far too long since I've read a historical romance book. Kelly Bowen's Between the Devil and the Duke was a great way to break that trend. This was such a delightful read promising both romance and mystery and it lives up to it in a big way.

The story has a really great flow to it. Immediately we are drawn into Angelique Archers world as a well born lady whose discovered she and her brother don't inherit much more than their home. There's no cash to live of of so she takes to playing car
eyes.2c
Jan 31, 2017 eyes.2c rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting!

Swept away! Yes, I was utterly swept away and caught up in the story of the Marble Maiden, Angelique Archer, doing what she can to save her family. An honest and brave woman, intelligent and gifted--in the way that sets this masterful historical romance in motion.
Exclusive club owner Alexander Lavoie had noticed the masked woman who came to play, purchased a bottle of brandy, won at vingt a and left with her winnings in hand. When one of her opponents became too presumptive, he interve
Donna
Jan 09, 2017 Donna rated it it was amazing
I love Alex Lavoie! I liked him in the first 2 books of this series, but when he falls for Angelique, he falls hard. Alex owns a gambling club and is a partner with his sisters in Chegarre & Associates, a firm that helps people in troublesome situations – for a price.

Lady Angelique Archer and her brothers have fallen on hard times. She has an exceptional talent with numbers and decides the best way to make money is to play at Alex’s club. He realizes her talent and that she needs the money,
Ira
Feb 05, 2017 Ira rated it really liked it
Seriously this book made me speechless!

The whole mystery regarding the missing fortune was well kept.
My suspicions started almost the same time with Angélique, which is ok because that girl is crazy smart, lol:)

But when I found out the reason? It made me sick!
Who the hell do they think they are?
Everyone need to be end up in Bedlam because they were all maddening:(

Here the clue, the sad thing is I couldn't hate the villain much really..:(

So yup this book is another winner but I still love Elise'
Katherina
I'm a big fan of Kelly Bowen's writing. Her characters are always so much fun, interesting and slightly different compared to standard heros/heroines. This book is once more a great blend of action, mystery and romance. The only thing I did miss was a bit more of the Alex and Angelique's back story, we catch glimpses but not the full picture. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't quite understand the connection between the title and the book?
For more romance reviews, check out my website: ht
WiLoveBooks
Jan 24, 2017 WiLoveBooks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I absolutely loved this! Angelique is in Alex’s club counting cards because she is in desperate need of money. Instead of being upset, he is intrigued and offers her a job. He ends up helping her out with more than that. I just loved them together. It was one of those stories I just didn't want to end because they were so darned adorable I just wanted to read about them forever. This was my first book by Kelly Bowen but now I need to go and find more.
Cynthia
Nov 11, 2016 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this book.

I loved this story. There was never a dull moment. The Alex and Angelique were well matched and there was plenty of chemistry. They got plenty of page time together and the romance didn't feel rushed. I found the two characters likable. There were some interesting twists that I hadn't expected.

books are love
Jan 31, 2017 books are love rated it really liked it
Love these two. Angelique is the responsible one in her family. And her family secrets will have you reel. Her brother does grow up and that is great to see. These two are betrayed in so many ways by so many around them but no matter what they are there for each other and show us what family is. Alexander is swoony, devilish and just all around great. He sees Angelique in his club hustling members and this gains his respect. He is attracted to her and wants to know her.

The beginning doesn’t star
Shane
I love Historical Romance and have been wanting to read more books in that genre, so you can imagine my excitement when Between the Devil and the Duke landed on my kindle.
I was looking forward to traveling into the past and reading about the ways of society in that time period. And at start, I was beyond intrigued with this story.

Angelique's character drew me in instantly. I needed to know why she was often in Alexander's casino at a vingt-et-un table (which by the way I had to look up to figu
Marielle
Apr 02, 2017 Marielle rated it it was ok
So, yes.. 2 stars. I'm so disapointed.
I loved the previous books in this series, and Ms. Bowen's books before that. But this one, to me, missed the sparks I did find in those other books. The heroine was as strong as all Ms Bowen's heroines, but it somehow didn't work out, and I took a pause, then another, read another book, came back to this, liked it a bit, started skimming...

And then, the big secret was revealed, and that was such a let down...
If anyone reads my reasons, and doesn't agree, o
Hannah
3.5 Stars

This was cute, well-written and is definitely recommended for a lazy day. I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars, but in the end I felt like the story was too light and superficial to justify a higher rating. I really liked the characters, but I never felt like I got to know them well enough and I also didn't feel like they got to know each other well enough.

Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 24, 2016 12:30PM
Kelly Bowen grew up in Manitoba, Canada. She worked her way through her teenage years as a back country trail guide and ranch hand. She attended the University of Manitoba and earned a Master of Science degree in veterinary physiology and endocrinology.

But it was Kelly's infatuation with history and a weakness for a good love story that led her down the path of historical romance. When she is not
More about Kelly Bowen...

Season for Scandal (3 books)
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • A Duke to Remember (Season for Scandal, #2)