Mafeking Road: and Other Stories

Mafeking Road: and Other Stories

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  20 reviews
These slyly simple stories of the unforgiving South African Transvaal reveal a little-described (and rarely romanticized) world of Afrikaner life in the late 19th Century. Like our own Mark Twain, Herman Charles Bosman wields a laughing intolerance of foolishness and prejudice, a dazzling use of wit and clear- sighted judgment. Spun by the plainclothes local visionary and...more
Published June 30th 2008 by Archipelago (first published 1947)

karen
what do i have to do to sell this book? i put it on table, and nothing. i make a lovely endcap just for archipelego books, and nothing. why wont you believe me? isnt it pretty, with its van gogh cover and rich purple textured cover? and read the back: blurbs!! from people i have never heard of, but they are blurbs!! well, there is publishers weekly, but they compare these stories to robert frost or bob dylan, so i dont know if they can be trusted. but i know i can be. these are more like o henry...more
John Caulfield
Probably the best set of short stories to come out of Africa. Sentenced to death for shooting his rooinek (English) brother-in-law, Mr Bosman was a hard man with an eye for detail. Every one of his books is a classic in its own right. After the death sentence was commuted on appeal, he spent some years in prison, where he wrote Cold Stone Jug, a chronicle of his prison experiences. Please note that there are no politically correct views expressed in his literature.
Silvergift
Free firstreads giveaway book. A simple set of stories, written from a storyteller's perspective (or, rather, told from that angle). The mild ridicule that comes off the pages is hilarious if you get it, but if you read the stories without thinking, you'd never guess the actions (or discussions) are supposed to be laughed at. I keep going back to read the stories again.
Sal
I'm loving this. A little bit Twain, a little bit Uncle Remus-- I know there must be better comparisons out there for this book too-- it's a series of half-funny, half-sad tales about a small town, told by one presiding, a little bit boastful character.
Tim
My favourite South African writer. He makes you laugh and cry. The Rooineck is particularly heart-breaking. And the ending of Unto Dust, from the other Schalk Lourens book, is just beautiful.
Dwayne Bailey
So where to start. I first read this book at school. Growing up in Apartheid era white schools I guess this was as subversive as our English teacher could get.

The stories are tragic and hilarious. Oom Schalk is our narrator, a poor Afrikaans farmer living in the Groot Meriko, a place where Herman Charles Bosman spent time as a teacher.

Through Oom Schalk, Bosman was able to make social commentary on South African race issues, on Afrikaners and on South Africa's curious history. The stories are fu...more
H.L. Balcomb
A fantastic read, capturing the spirit of South Africa during the post Anglo-Boer War era. The short stories are captivating, less the offensive vernacular of the time and the fact that it is written from a singular cultural perspective. Additionally, the only negative of Bosman's literary style is that non-South African readers may get lost in the stories depth. His writing makes the assumption that the reader is familiar with South African idioms and symbols of his time. Yet, his work remains...more
Sandra
I'm still trying to decide if this book lives up to its accolades. Feels like a stretch to me. If you compare the writing and story lines with other English authors attempting similar tales I'm left feeling they just might not meet the test. Loved getting a sense of the whites in Africa though, that is valuable.
Paul
Strong collection of short stories from South Africa. Set mostly in the Afrikaans environment, the tales are good examples of storytelling at its best. Interesting mix of English and Afrikaans words gives the work an authentic feel. Worth re-reading.
Mary Patterson
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I found this book to be an easy read, and transported me into the stories. I enjoy reading short stories, and this one is a beauty.
Cornelia
Ich fand dieses Buch toll, weil es ein Bild von Südafrika malt in all seinen schönen und weniger schönen Farben.
Es sind Geschichten zum schmunzeln, lachen, weinen und nachdenken.
Maureen
Jun 11, 2011 Maureen marked it as to-read
I'm going to put this one aside for a while. I really like the stories but want to have some other 'night' reading.
Nicky
very funny and well written true life stories on the history of the Boers in the Transvaal. Loved reading it.
Shelly
This book was really hard for me to get through. The stories bored me and I just wasn't into it.
Yvette Ward-Horner
Fascinating, hilarious collection of stories about life in South Africa's Transvaal.
Darlene
very easy read I enjoyed the different tales and stories quite witty and intresting
Krista
Fantastic book, fantastic stories, def WORTH reading it, story telling at its best!
Derek Baldwin
I love these stories, I really want my own copy!
Mike
Loved it. Best South African author read to date.
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Philani
Philani marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Roger Ettrick
Roger Ettrick marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Nadja
Nadja added it
Jul 03, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Kurzgeschichten, die in Südafrika spielen. 1 1 Oct 06, 2011 02:02PM
Herman Charles Bosman (1905 - October 14, 1951) was a South African writer and journalist who became famous for capturing the rhythms of backveld Afrikaans speech even though he wrote in English. He is widely regarded as the greatest short story writer to come out of South Africa. Many of his stories have a sting in the tail.

He was born at Kuilsrivier, near Cape Town. While still young, his family...more
More about Herman Charles Bosman...
Cold Stone Jug (The anniversary edition) The Collected Works of Herman Charles Bosman A Cask of Jerepigo The Complete Oom Schalk Lourens Stories Unto Dust and Other Stories (The anniversary edition)